V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Exhaust manifold bolts

Old 05-21-2002, 05:48 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Exhaust manifold bolts

Anyone drill & tap the exhaust manifold bolts for a larger size?

Was wondering how much meat is in the heads for this. The
looks of those dinky bolts it is no wonder they break. I was
thinking a good 3/8" bolt would do the trick.

Thanks,

RBob.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've got the wrong idea...

If you use bigger bolts, but use crappy ones, they won't last through the heat/cool cycles just like the little ones...

You've got to use better bolts. Stage 8 bolts work wonders... Expensive, but for a reason.

I've got to get one last bolt drilled out (my mech left the old one in because it's an odd size) and a new one put in near my cat and my exhaust is done...
Old 05-22-2002, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhust Bolts are Very Hard to Drill Out, Might Be easier to bring them to a machine shop.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:35 PM

Agreed, a real PITA.

You need to use a 90* angle drill and shorter drill bits to get in there. My shop charged me $250. It would have been cheaper however if someone had not gone in there previously and tried to fix the exhaust leak with hardening epoxy. My mechanic went through an incredible amount of drill bits on my car those 2 days.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Yes, I am to the point that I'll probably tear it down and
remove the head. The two pass side rear most bolts are
broken off recessed in the head.

It is very difficult to get in there with anything. I was hoping
to be able to drill them using the exhaust manifold to guide
the bit. No room.

I even cut a slot in one of the bolts. Used a screwdriver on it
and it won't move! Did the heat, wax, Kroil, nada.

Thinking about why they break I believe it may have to do
with the motor mounts. Once they get old the engine is
moving around too much. Puts a lot of stress on the exhaust
manifold bolts.

I'll be checking the ES ones for the 4-bolt mount. I have a
feeling that they will fit our cars. (and have a car that I can
measure the f-body mount against).

RBob.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI SLP Runners Accel 24lb Inj
Transmission: 700R4 Upgraded Internals, Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 Bolt, 3.27 Ratio
Re: Exhaust manifold bolts

i know this is a really old post but i have a little trick for broken manifold bolts i use all the time:
if the bolt is broken flush with the header/manifold, place an appropriately sized nut over the end of the bolt with manifold removed and weld the nut to it with a regular MIG welder. this will sometimes take a couple tries depending on accessability and your relative skill with a welder. welds will not stick to or harm cast iron or aluminum heads, so if the bolt is broken flush with the head simply weld a lump onto the end of the broken bolt and then weld a nut to this. the combination of heating from the welder and now having a hex to grab onto will remove even rusted bolts (cross-threading might be a little harder)
like i said i use this trick all the time, hasnt failed me yet and a much better solution than removing the cylinder head
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Car: 92 Camaro rs ( mostly stock for now
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 700r4 with a b&m megashifter.
Axle/Gears: whatever came stock. wanna posi tho

Originally Posted by rick90gta
i know this is a really old post but i have a little trick for broken manifold bolts i use all the time:
if the bolt is broken flush with the header/manifold, place an appropriately sized nut over the end of the bolt with manifold removed and weld the nut to it with a regular MIG welder. this will sometimes take a couple tries depending on accessability and your relative skill with a welder. welds will not stick to or harm cast iron or aluminum heads, so if the bolt is broken flush with the head simply weld a lump onto the end of the broken bolt and then weld a nut to this. the combination of heating from the welder and now having a hex to grab onto will remove even rusted bolts (cross-threading might be a little harder)
like i said i use this trick all the time, hasnt failed me yet and a much better solution than removing the cylinder head
Awesome! Come do mine.lol
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM

Car: '86 Grand National
Engine: LZ9????
Transmission: 2004R
Axle/Gears: 3.42

why not just open a new thread?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Manual T5
Axle/Gears: Stock

Great solution. I've copied & pasted your suggestion to a Word doc and saved in my Firebird repair tricks file. I agree with 34Blazer; start a thread on tricks to remove broken manifold bolts.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

But whats the trick to having the room or access to even atempt this with the engine still in the car
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI SLP Runners Accel 24lb Inj
Transmission: 700R4 Upgraded Internals, Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 Bolt, 3.27 Ratio

a flexible welder tip helps a lot. like i said depends on accessibility, if you are working on the passenger rear of the engine near the evaporator good luck to ya but other than that the rest of them are pretty readily accessible with the manifold/header out of the way

Last edited by rick90gta; 04-12-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

a flexible welder tip helps a lot. like i said depends on accessibility, if you are working on the passenger rear of the engine near the evaporator good luck to ya but other than that the rest of them are pretty readily accessible with the manifold/header out of the way
Why the other day I jammed a new few hand fulls of fiberglass packing between the manifold and the block, just like a muffler the glass muffles the leaks to near un-noticable but I just can't pull an engine to do one thing

someone could make a good penny selling heads of all types for all cars that use a nut n bolt for headers, over studs, no one ever learns