V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

break in period?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
break in period?

Well we ripped the engine out and changed the main and rod bearings and I was wondering is there any break-in period for this. I don't want to fix my car just to have it die on me again.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Built 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23's - Limited Slip
I thought after any rebuild you should go really easy on it for the first 1500 km, and not too much abuse for the first 2500 km. (for me that would be maybe a month of driving)
Old 09-15-2002, 06:58 PM

the first 500 miles should be easy according to the manual
Old 09-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L v6 & 305 (5.0L) v8
Transmission: 4L60 Auto
Did you rebuild the rest of the engine too like rings??
Old 09-15-2002, 11:19 PM

just the rod bearings and the main bearings
Old 09-15-2002, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L v6 & 305 (5.0L) v8
Transmission: 4L60 Auto
How come you didn't go all the way thru the engine since you have it already out of the car?? Man thats a lot of work just to change bearings only.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:39 PM

well we originally wanted to change the tranny, but we wanted to fix all the nasty oil leaks. so we got valve cover gaskets, an oil pan gasket, and a new rear main seal. then we decided to paint the engine bay and engine so we took the whole engine out. we replaced rear main seal, and were gonna do the oil pan gasket as well but we said why not change the bearings, cheap and easy. so we changed all the bearings right there. my dad knows I "abuse" (race) my car and I was told that I have to let it break in or I'll risk spinning a bearing. theres my novel on how the story goes lol. 1500km is gonna take awhile
Old 09-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 357ci Stealth Ram - Under Pressure
Transmission: Built 700r4/Pro Yank 3400 Extreme
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.27
I learnt not to race anymore lol

Yeah cause we hardly win.
DAMN LASER RS TURBO WITH THE HUGE WING
Almost lost my my friends mom's new toyota corolla.
Beat 83 LG4 by 2 length
Beat a friends wagon by 5 lengths
beat a guy's Colt by 6 legnths...
Got wasted by a modded 82-84 bird.

My car has no power lately... 0-100km/h is 12 Secs... it was 9
Old 09-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
100 km/hr....does that translate to about 60 mph? If so, yeah, 12 is very slow...although 9 was a good bit quicker than stock.

I've been able to beat a.. 94? Corolla...this old 80's 4 cyl piece of crap something or other....and an 86 2.8 with a Flowmaster... Everything else pretty much wastes me. I did tie an 84 Z-28! That was nice..talk about a piece of junk... The funny part is..people still think my car is fast, just because it's a Camaro, and stock exhaust in these is sweet...

Last edited by Nixon1; 09-24-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

heh

Yeah I found out the power problem, My EGR valve is gone to ****s so it made 3 plug wires loose.

I have been getting very bad mileage before I noticed the power decrease. I got 150 KM on a FULL TANK of 91 Octane; that translates to 90Miles(around there) Tanks is 16.9 (lets just say its 15 to make the math easyer)

So I got 6MPG, 6! City driving.

I am hoping that the new EGR valve will make my Mileage get beter.
I am also replacing my Fuel Filter.

How do I check to see if my 02 sensor is bad? Should I just by a new one?
Old 09-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Bebefouch
well we originally wanted to change the tranny, but we wanted to fix all the nasty oil leaks. so we got valve cover gaskets, an oil pan gasket, and a new rear main seal. then we decided to paint the engine bay and engine so we took the whole engine out. we replaced rear main seal, and were gonna do the oil pan gasket as well but we said why not change the bearings, cheap and easy. so we changed all the bearings right there. my dad knows I "abuse" (race) my car and I was told that I have to let it break in or I'll risk spinning a bearing. theres my novel on how the story goes lol. 1500km is gonna take awhile
The amount I drive, that would take 10 days lol.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Are you throwing any sort of Oxygen sensor code? I was throwing a lean exhaust code, but it was an intermittent code. I don't know how to go about checking it if you've never thrown a code. I'd say take it out and look at it but in the process of taking it out you'd probably break it..they're extremely delicate. They're only around $20 and super-easy to do, so if you have any doubts, I'd just go ahead and do it. I gained around 5 mpg after I swapped mine...and I was already getting maybe 14-15 mpg. Sidenote: If you do replace the Oxygen sensor, even if you haven't thrown a code for it, I'd probably reset your computer. Most sure-fire way to do this is to disconnect the neg. battery terminal for 30 secs. Assuming you're not particularly fond of your stereo presets. I ran my car for around 5 days after I swapped the sensor before resetting the comp. After I did, it made a big difference. The computer was still thinking the old sensor was in, and was so confused by the new sensor giving it different correct readings, that it threw all sorts of weird codes for other sensors and ran badly.

I know a bad O2 sensor will drain gas mileage.. Like TomP said in another article, the O2 sensor sends bad info out...typically it'll tell the computer that you're running lean. So, the computer compensates by dumping extra fuel in..which since the O2 sensor is wrong, makes you run rich and guzzle down gas.

Last edited by Nixon1; 09-25-2002 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Most I heard of engines, was that cams are what need to break in, not bearings. But, did you use a ton of assembly lube? If so, I'd change that oil AND FILTER very very soon... you don't want the assembly lube, or any other gunk that came loose, to clog up the filter, or run through the motor and into your new bearings!! Even if it's cheap oil and a cheap filter, try to change it very soon.

How'd you figure out what size bearings to use? Plastigage? Did you have the crank turned at all, or did you just give the journals a quick polish? Or was the crank fine, and you just put in the exact size bearings that were in your motor to begin with? Just curious, thanks!
Old 09-26-2002, 01:01 AM

Re: I learnt not to race anymore lol

Originally posted by mike1986fyrbird
DAMN LASER RS TURBO WITH THE HUGE WING
I raced that guy while I was in my dad's CRX, we went from about a 35km roll, he took a lil run at it and i left in in third gear and he slowly started to creep by. I'm sure I would have given him a good run if not beat him had I downshifted to 2nd.

Last edited by Bebefouch; 09-26-2002 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by TomP
Most I heard of engines, was that cams are what need to break in, not bearings. But, did you use a ton of assembly lube? If so, I'd change that oil AND FILTER very very soon... you don't want the assembly lube, or any other gunk that came loose, to clog up the filter, or run through the motor and into your new bearings!! Even if it's cheap oil and a cheap filter, try to change it very soon.

How'd you figure out what size bearings to use? Plastigage? Did you have the crank turned at all, or did you just give the journals a quick polish? Or was the crank fine, and you just put in the exact size bearings that were in your motor to begin with? Just curious, thanks!

No assembly lube used...just oiled up everything with brand new synthetic and changed the oil filter too. The crank was not turned at all not even polished, the bearings were actually pretty fine although they seemed a lil rough on the edges. No dis-coloration. Bought them for like $40 canadian and they went right in.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: I learnt not to race anymore lol

I raced that guy while I was in my dad's CRX, we went from about a 35km roll, he took a lil run at it and i left in in third gear and he slowly started to creep by. I'm sure I would have given him a good run if not beat him had I downshifted to 2nd.
Yeah he had a way more of a head start. I saw him comming up to me real fast when he was around futureshop, and I was at Siast. When he got closer to me I was going about 120km/h and he past me doing about 150km/h lol.

ThaT wing is hidious. I also had 3 friends in my car they all yelled you the window
"YOUR WING IS G@Y!"
Old 09-26-2002, 02:06 PM

Tom P is right on this one (as usual). The things that need breaking in on a motor are the cam lobes and the rings. Rings used to be what took so long to break in. They would leave the bores a bit rough and the rings would have to wear themselves in. This was like 30 years ago. The new rings come already honed and lapped down smooth, so you hone the bore, and they will break themselves in really quickly. Use to be you had to take it easy for about 1500 miles, but that was so that the rings would seat themselves good.

I would also change the oil after about 500 miles, even though you didn't use any assembly lube, just because you have had it open and have put in some new components. Otherwise, I would say 'let her rip!'
Old 09-26-2002, 06:58 PM

Sweeeet

Just wondering though, I've got a used tranny from an '86 2.8 firebird and it whines through every gear. It almost sounds like the "first gear whine"on those 3 speed auto trannies, except a bit louder. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?
Old 09-29-2002, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

Sweeeet

Just wondering though, I've got a used tranny from an '86 2.8 firebird and it whines through every gear. It almost sounds like the "first gear whine"on those 3 speed auto trannies, except a bit louder. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

I noticed you have TailLight Black-outs.
Where did you get them from? Do u knwo if they got em for birds?

Are they illegal here? I dont care.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:38 AM

ahh u musta noticed them when u were behind me after I blew your doors off hehe jk. Believe it or not but those tail-light blackouts came with the car. This car was abandoned yet too but somehow the blackouts managed to stay with it. I've never seen any other f-body in town with blackouts other than mine, but you should be able to get them for your bird if your order them. I think mine are the now extinct GTS tail-light blackouts. And hell ya they're illegal, but I havent caught any heat yet.:lala:

btw we'll both have to race when our cars are empty lol, that was real tight tonight. I dont think I did too bad considering you have 25hp and 15lb-ft of torque more than me heh. Or is your car still acting up? Anyways you see me kill that lil 4 banger 5 speed stang twice? lol that guy use to give me a good run but not no more :lala:
Old 09-29-2002, 03:18 AM
Supreme Member

ahh u musta noticed them when u were behind me after I blew your doors off hehe jk. Believe it or not but those tail-light blackouts came with the car. This car was abandoned yet too but somehow the blackouts managed to stay with it. I've never seen any other f-body in town with blackouts other than mine, but you should be able to get them for your bird if your order them. I think mine are the now extinct GTS tail-light blackouts. And hell ya they're illegal, but I havent caught any heat yet.:lala:

btw we'll both have to race when our cars are empty lol, that was real tight tonight. I dont think I did too bad considering you have 25hp and 15lb-ft of torque more than me heh. Or is your car still acting up? Anyways you see me kill that lil 4 banger 5 speed stang twice? lol that guy use to give me a good run but not no more :lala:

Omg that guy looked like he wasnt even accelerating lol; Sounded like he had a hole in his muffler also.

Yeah my car is running beter, I got a MAF from WYAttS for 30 bux.

My car's pickup sux from 50km/h. The place we went racing; thats where I beat the 305 LG4 z28 by 2 cars, and the seccond time he beat me by two cars but I had a crappy launch.

I raced the corvette with a Ferrari body kit lol I got owned.

And a Dark purple 82-84 firebird that goes to my school; I think the engine is modded to hell cause he spun in 2nd and wasted me bad.

Can u spin ur tires off the line? I can't, I dont know if I should be able to or not, I have 215's. But I can do brake toques lol, but not when my tank is full; It was full when I raced you or close to it.

I went to the touchless car wash at the Circle K Esso tonight by superstore and my car started running like crap for a bit; I think it got something wet.

How many km's does ur car have? I had 2 friends in my car + my beastie sub bux.

I'm still trying to find some rims for my car. Mine are ugly as hell rally rims...
Old 09-29-2002, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Mike...I chirped my tires into 2nd once. My car's a stock automatic too! Don't ask me how...I had it in 1 and rounding out a corner, I went full pedal and clicked it into 2 prematurely because it never shifts when I tell it to anyways, but it did this time and chirped the tire. Did it right in front of this guy that goes to my school with this red 4 cyl Camaro.. YES, he's got the almighty iron duke! He thinks my car's all modded up now.. I'm not gonna say anything.

BTW, he's trying to sell it for $1000... It's got a decent body, a ripped up/cracked up interior, and a 4 cylinder in a 3200 lb body! He's nuts...although it might be worth more because it's rarer, I really don't know.

Last edited by Nixon1; 09-29-2002 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:47 PM

My car's happy zone is right at 45km . Downshifts to first and off I go, its gotta be this new transmission because it wouldnt do that before. I can't chirp my tires unless theres a lil bit of dust on the road or something. I've got 215's too, i'm not supposed to tho lol. My tires are hella worn tho, I use to brake torque a lot when I first got my car.

My car has like 254000+ km on it right now lol. Yah I know for sure that friends will slow your car down. I had 2 friends with me too but the guy in shotgun is soo big he can't even fit in the back, he's like 200+lbs lol. I dont have any mods done to my car at all except for brand new exhaust, I kinda find it pointless to mod a v6 but that's just me. No excuses though, someday me and you gotta line em up by ourselves and see who comes out on top.

That was so sweet when we were both peaking out our first gear going west on 15th. I had the window down and I could hear the mighty 2.8's both roarin' .
Old 09-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm

My car doesn't like to downshift at 50 km/h, even though top speed in first gear is 70km/h (5800RPM, Redline is 6k) Maybe I gotta adjust my tv cable (if thats whut its called) Cause my car will shift a 5800rpm at WOT.

I can't brake torque sometimes, even if its just with me lol.
But only when my gas tank is above half..

I might put some 4.10 gears in; cause it will give the 2.8 a little more off the line pep, and I want to get a 327 or 350 adventually; and ditch the computer.

I figured out that with 4.10 gears, my 4 speed auto, and my 15 inch rims I would be reving 2500RPM at 100km/h in OD. Thats not too bad, right now its 1900-2000rpm.

My only Mod (well not really) is a cold air intake with a ***** APC high flow filter from Canadian Tire.

It wasnt on at the time we raced, ( it ouldnt have done much) cause I just replaced the MAF sensor, but its back on now.

But still with 4.10 gears I should be able to beat most cars off the line, and since the 2.8's are kinda rev-happy and all.

I saw some rims that I liked at kal tire but they are *** damd FWD rims, and they were only 122 bux a piece..

What exhaust do you have? Stock? Who sells exhaust for our cars in town? I went to minute muffler; lol whut a rip off, I asked how much for a Dynomax Cat-Back exhaust and they said 450 bux, Canadian tire is only like $220
Old 09-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

By brake torque...do you mean..brake-standing as I say..like on the brake, but giving the car gas so you lurch a little bit and don't move forward but bring your rpms up? Or do you mean powerbrake..give it so much gas that you sit there smoking your tires? Lol..I LOVE to powerbrake but it's so horrible on the tires, the drums, and the torque converter.. Although a buddy of mine convinced me to do it and try to beat my friend's legendary mark a week ago.. (My friend owns a 65 Mustang with a 289) The best part is..I beat it. I popped it into 1, and powerbraked it until I saw smoke...I didnt realize that the smoke hangs real low for quite a bit.. It was so nice..the engine was just purring...more like screeching, around 5200 rpms or so...just sitting still....eased off the brake and let her rip through 2nd..came back around and I had covered the whole street in smoke.. We measured the mark, it was like near 100 feet long! Beat him by about 20 feet...but I held the powerbrake WAY longer than he did..lol.. So...in your auto, in 1st gear, you can get to 70 km/hr (~43 mph)?? DANG is all I have to say. Mine doesn't go nearly that high. At WOT, by the time I hit 30 mph, the engine is screaming like a bat out of hell... Can't wait to slap a big ole 4.11 rear...makes me shake. Well, lemme rephrase. A 3.73 if I put in a cam...if not, I'll run 4.11. But you know, being a broke high school student, give me about 5 years for that.

BTW, is that Dynomax price for the system installed or no? If it's not including installation, that's a terrible deal. Summit.com..go to Exhaust and then Exhaust Systems...I think the last page under the Dynomax Super Turbo has it for our cars...$154.99 I believe....incredibly well priced.

Last edited by Nixon1; 09-29-2002 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:02 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Nixon1
By brake torque...do you mean..brake-standing as I say..like on the brake, but giving the car gas so you lurch a little bit and don't move forward but bring your rpms up? Or do you mean powerbrake..give it so much gas that you sit there smoking your tires? Lol..I LOVE to powerbrake but it's so horrible on the tires, the drums, and the torque converter.. Although a buddy of mine convinced me to do it and try to beat my friend's legendary mark a week ago.. (My friend owns a 65 Mustang with a 289) The best part is..I beat it. I popped it into 1, and powerbraked it until I saw smoke...I didnt realize that the smoke hangs real low for quite a bit.. It was so nice..the engine was just purring...more like screeching, around 5200 rpms or so...just sitting still....eased off the brake and let her rip through 2nd..came back around and I had covered the whole street in smoke.. We measured the mark, it was like near 100 feet long! Beat him by about 20 feet...but I held the powerbrake WAY longer than he did..lol.. So...in your auto, in 1st gear, you can get to 70 km/hr (~43 mph)?? DANG is all I have to say. Mine doesn't go nearly that high. At WOT, by the time I hit 30 mph, the engine is screaming like a bat out of hell... Can't wait to slap a big ole 4.11 rear...makes me shake. Well, lemme rephrase. A 3.73 if I put in a cam...if not, I'll run 4.11. But you know, being a broke high school student, give me about 5 years for that.

BTW, is that Dynomax price for the system installed or no? If it's not including installation, that's a terrible deal. Summit.com..go to Exhaust and then Exhaust Systems...I think the last page under the Dynomax Super Turbo has it for our cars...$154.99 I believe....incredibly well priced.
I mean Brake Torqing as in, pressing the brake and letting the tires spin.

I can't do I brake torque latly lol it's pissing me off :P

How the hell did you make a 100ft mark? Whenever I can Do a brake toque it never goes over 3100rpms. And leave a 1 maybe 2 foot long mark. Maybe My engine was ragged to **** by the other owners.. It had Original plugs; cap; and rotor since we changed them a couple weeks ago. I timed zero to 100km/h today (60mph) it was 11 Secs, is that bad?

Yeha tops out 70km/h In first near redline; 2nd gear ends around 115-120km/h, 3rd gear is a dog.
Maybe I dont have stock rear end or something; I am puposed to have 3.42's.

I think Minute Muffler said 470 Installed 420 Not installed.

Canadian tire was 220 not installed.

These are canadian prices btw, Times them by .63 and you get american coin.

I'm still getting ****y milage; went 200kms on 3/4 of a tank... Any input? Thats hard driving lol.

EDIT: I was getting beter gas mileage without the cold air intake on - help?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Nixon1

So basically ur saying you know how to kill a car Dude there won't be much of a car left to drive in 5 years if ya keep that up ...

Mike, when you don't spin your tires at all its even HARDER on your drivetrain than if they were spinning, just a lil heads up. That includes stalling up before launching.

My speedo is all fuked cuz of the 15" wheels but I top my 1st out at about 60km. Or so it says. Oh and my exhaust is some cheap *** "super turbo" muffler with a single outlet lol. We removed the cat though so its a lil louder and it kinda gurgles when I decelerate. It sounds better/louder than some v8's tho so it ain't too bad.

I seen your CAI setup and I can only imagine what the differences could be with or without it. Does your filter still run to that empty black box and then to the throttle body? I've heard of power increases without a filter but not really anything to do with mileage. I'm sure the difference is only marginal and keep in mind driving habits will affect your mileage greatly. Shouldn't race so much man lol jk.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Supreme Member

Lol, oh yes, I know how to destroy a car quite quickly. An 11 second zero to 60 mph is about on par for a 2.8..I've got a 3.1 so I lose around half a second on that. I left the mark about 100 feet because I had the car sitting still spinning the rear tire at extremely high speeds..lol..I boiled it down.. I only spun for about an extra 10 feet past when I let it go, but the liquified rubber came from my tire and stuck to the pavement for the next 90 feet... Hehe... If you're driving it hard and fast, you'll suck gas, but still not so bad unless there's something funny going on. Throw any SES codes? I replaced my O2 sensor and gained like 5 mpg, a better idle, and everything. And I drive around and get to WOT at practically every acceleration, so I drive it HARD..and I still go more than a week usually before filling it up again. For how I drive, that's excessively good.. Your CAI setup should have no bearing whatsoever on your gas mileage, it should just free up a tad bit of power from the stock setup..the stock pieces are suffocating. My bit of advice: From my observation, less bends in the system is more important than routing cooler air in. I had a system from behind the grille and even though it pulled in way cool air, there were so many bends that a simple 45 degree angle arm and a conical tucked in the passenger side away from the radiator made more power.

And about your rear end...3.42? Do you have a 5 speed? To my knowledge, 5 speeds got a 3.42 and us autos got a 3.23...but I might be wrong. It's posted here on the site somewhere.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

So basically ur saying you know how to kill a car Dude there won't be much of a car left to drive in 5 years if ya keep that up ...

Mike, when you don't spin your tires at all its even HARDER on your drivetrain than if they were spinning, just a lil heads up. That includes stalling up before launching.

My speedo is all fuked cuz of the 15" wheels but I top my 1st out at about 60km. Or so it says. Oh and my exhaust is some cheap *** "super turbo" muffler with a single outlet lol. We removed the cat though so its a lil louder and it kinda gurgles when I decelerate. It sounds better/louder than some v8's tho so it ain't too bad.

I seen your CAI setup and I can only imagine what the differences could be with or without it. Does your filter still run to that empty black box and then to the throttle body? I've heard of power increases without a filter but not really anything to do with mileage. I'm sure the difference is only marginal and keep in mind driving habits will affect your mileage greatly. Shouldn't race so much man lol jk.
Yeah I took out the square black box in the p=assenger courner, and left the other stuff like it was stock, and jkust stuck the apc filter to the end of the 35*(?) end. But yeah, thge rectangular plasting thing infront of the tb is sstill there without a filter.

I know Brake torqueing is hard on stuff, same with stalling up - ThaTS why I dont do it quite as offen anymore.

I wounder how much 4.10's will run me around here, without installation.... Any idea? 400 bux?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

tint

And I got my back window Tinted last monday.
5% Limo tint
$160cnd at bens autoglass with lifetime warentee.

It does a good job of covering up my system.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:12 PM

wow thats a real good price, do you have the rear defroster lines on your hatch? i wanna get my rear window tinted eventually. Im pretty sure it'll look good with the rest of my car, being blacked out and all.

I have no idea how much a crown and pinion will run ya around here but I dont think it would be upwards of $300 lol. Getting 4.10's will definately give you a lil more jump off the line (who knows you might even be able to chirp em) but its gonna hurt your top speed. Just curious, did you ever top out your car before? With my old tranny I topped out a lil over 150km but I had the gay OD problem where it wouldnt go into 4th at WOT. This new transmission doesnt seem to have that problem so I dunno i'll have to give it a lil road test once the water dries lol.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

wow thats a real good price, do you have the rear defroster lines on your hatch? i wanna get my rear window tinted eventually. Im pretty sure it'll look good with the rest of my car, being blacked out and all.

I have no idea how much a crown and pinion will run ya around here but I dont think it would be upwards of $300 lol. Getting 4.10's will definately give you a lil more jump off the line (who knows you might even be able to chirp em) but its gonna hurt your top speed. Just curious, did you ever top out your car before? With my old tranny I topped out a lil over 150km but I had the gay OD problem where it wouldnt go into 4th at WOT. This new transmission doesnt seem to have that problem so I dunno i'll have to give it a lil road test once the water dries lol.
Yes I have the Rear Window defroster.
I think I should be able to lite 'em up quite easily with 4.10's.
I never topped it out, but I was on the highway and went to 140, and was still pulling,
Then my Radar/Laser detector detected Laser 2.5 Km before I reached the cop. It saved me LOL. I didnt think our police would be able to have enough money for Laser; guess you learn something new everyday. I bought the radar detecter off a guy I used to work with & we made a sub and amp box for his 83 z28 (this is the car I beat by 2 legnths.) For 40 Bux.
It has saved me like 5-10 times already.
I don't like driving when its wet outside. Too easy to spin em.
haha; tested to see how long I could spin em for, wen't all the way through the intersection, plus 20-30feet past it. (4 lane intersection coming out of North Indust. drv.

Kinda scared me today almost did a one-eighty around the courner, but I sorta 'Drifted' around the corner ( the thing Crazy Hawiian, and revlimit does) is was pretty cool actually lol.
But I dont want to wreck my car do I learned not to floor it when its wet out lol.

This winter I still wanna put in either a 3.4, 327 or 350... whutever I can get the cheapest...

I got 208km on this tank of gas lol. I dont know if something is wrong, or maybe it's my foot

None of the TH400r4's will switch into OD @ WOT. You need to get the gm, or b&m 3-4 kickdown kit or something.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

uhm

Are our rear-endz 10 bolt?
Old 10-01-2002, 12:50 AM

Im pretty sure its a 10 bolt. Btw I have a TH700r4 not a TH400r4 Oh and drifting is hella awesome but the only way I can do it is if I leave it in first and really nail it as i'm coming around the corner. I hate to bag my car but just can't help it sometimes lol. Just wait until the snow falls, its a whole new story man, trust me. I drove my camaro all winter long and i'm still accident free, except for the idiot that rear-ended me. I'm crazy behind the wheel but my car is soo predictable so I havent crashed yet :lala:
Old 10-01-2002, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Yep, 10 bolt... nice coincidence that the rear cover also has 10 bolts! GM went from a 7 1/2" to a 7 5/8" ring gear sometime around '84 (I forget exactly which year, sorry), but the bolt pattern is exactly the same, the gears interchange.