V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Few questions that need to be answered about my Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Automatic 4 speeds
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Few questions that need to be answered about my Firebird

I have a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Coupe for those that doesn't know... The mud pads I have, do they came originaly or their wasn't any mud pads originaly on these cars? I don't have the plastic thing that protect against hit from other cars doors etc... I am supposed to have them? Does the Firebird logo in silver plastic near the front tires was on 89 bird? Thanks and sorry for the bad english and paint works...
Attached Thumbnails Few questions that need to be answered about my Firebird-third.jpg  
Old 01-21-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Firebird & 85 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6 : 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4 : 700R4
My 85 doesn't have the side bumpers, but it does have the Firebird logo. I'm only the second owner of the car and I highly doubt that the previous owner would have removed them unless it was done when the car was repainted when it was only 3 years old. Both of my cars have the mudflaps, but the ones on the 85 were installed when it was Zeibarted (they are stamped with the Zeibart logo)
Old 01-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
my 85 had the mudflaps (well two, the other two were missing) one front, one back. They had factory firebird stamped into them at the bottom, that was done in black , so they didn't stand out overly much. I also have the door trim, but i'm pretty sure that door trim is an option, not just something that all cars get. Of course you'd know that your decal on the side probably isn't original (such as the paint color, urs looks 2nd gen, i've got a set of second gen emblem birds on my sails actually, but they're raised off the car) the firebird logos on the front are also probably nto original, i've never seen any bird w/ those, or anything real close to them. Did see an SE model car, that had em once also, but that's it, and they said Firebird S/E , definately looked different, so whenever ur car was painted, teh guy probably had those decals put on, most of the birds came with the plastic badge that was glued to the side of the car, like the molding was.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Mine had side bumpers but I peeled them off.

And I have mud flaps front n rear.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Automatic 4 speeds
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Thanks for the help, I wan't to see what your Firebird mud flaps look like just to see if I have the original one...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

This mudflap detail sounds very regional. I noticed all your locations & you're in snow belt areas.

I had the Firebird plastic name in 3 spots (fender corners & the head light cover trim).
My car came with that pop riveted body color trim (in chrome), which I have also partially removed.
My car came to me, repainted, without line illustration Firebird "bird" logo.
But no sign of any mudflap.
I do not doubt that those flaps were a dealer add on for your snow belt local to protect paint/rust in those corners. And being dealer add on they would/could/should have some type of "GM" identification.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
since i had 2 flaps, and was missing 2 flaps, and the local autozone didn't care any firebird ones (just pontiac) i decided to ditch them all together and pulled hte other two...they're now trashed somewhere as they were never going to get used again.

Ked, u say you've got firebird in 3 places? interesting. I've got the two fender pieces, then on the headlight i've got pontiac written on the left one (sitting in the drivers seat) and the right one is bare, thought that's how they all came?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

The location description you just described is exactly like mine was.
I removed all three name logos.
What I seek is purchasing generic body side molding protection strips like used on later year 3rd Gen Firebirds. The paintable one. I like how that seems "seamless/invisible" to the body belt lines.
I plan on repainting my car. And the body graphics will include a black strip that has the intensity decreased as it goes up from lowest body panel point. Just like on the Black/Gold Trans Ams of the 82-84 graphics package.
I like the way those bottom lines accent down there. Subtle if done right. Visually lowers the car, too.
IF I decide to spring for new rear window struts, I may just add the rear spoiler. Finally cured my rear window leak so I can now add new "holes".
Attached Thumbnails Few questions that need to be answered about my Firebird-firebird-20-pacific-20ocean.jpg