V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Vacuum Line Routing, rerouting and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro / '87 Chevy K10
Engine: 3.4L MPFI (soon) / 5.7L TBI
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.73
Vacuum Line Routing, rerouting and other questions

I find the routing sticker to be quite confusing to me. Does anyone happen to have real pictures of the routing, or perhaps someone has made a better routing diagram?

On the same note, is the specific routing all that important? Is it possible to reroute the lines without any ill effect? What about the plastic lines? I found that KED85 often suggested 5/16th windshield wiper tubing to replace the plastic lines. Is it really that important that hard lines be replaced with hard lines instead of rubber? The vacuum sticker does not show where there is rubber and where there is plastic. My whole system got pretty much shot while tearing the old top-end off to put on the new one.

Simply put, I need a lot of help with vacuum routing. Assume I have no lines installed and every plastic line is broken. Real pictures/better diagrams would be a great help.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Car: 89 V6 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open diff
Re: Vacuum Line Routing, rerouting and other questions

Someone on here did post up routing diagrams but you can go to a dealership and they should be able to give you a diagram. With the tubes I don't think that it is the material that they are made out of as much as where they go. I think that as long as they route to the same part it doesn't matter. I got rid of most of mine. On my motor I only have a vaccum line going to the FPR.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Well, yes, the diagrams are everywhere. The problem is that I can't seem to make heads or tails of them.

As far as you removing them... the obvious things to remove are the EGR, charcoal canister... I assume your brake booster goes into the normal spot at the back of the intake manifold. What about the PCV? You plugged up the huge hole on the bottom intake plenum(the one that sits directly between the heads)? There's a lot of lines that actually seem useful, but you only have one going to the FPR(from the back of the intake, I assume)?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 PM

I took out the EGR and charcoal cannister and just cut the harness down to just what I needed for the FPR. With the brake booster it just goes to the back of the intake. The PCV I left in with the one that goes to the TB also. Mine was leaking (might be again) so I pieced together somehting that hooked up to the TB and the PCV. The PVC is something that you want to keep and the one to the TB also. The only vaccum tubes that I know nothing about are the ones that hook up to the small post on the back of the intake. I got a diagram from the dealership a while back and could make some sense of it though I still don't have it.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM

We had to fabricate that rear T pipe on the back of the intake, because the smaller fitting snapped off of it. So many other plastic tubes broke that I just have things hooked in however I can manage, and other things plugged entirely in an attempt to eliminate any leaks. The real fix would be to actually recreate it all instead of jerry riggin it all.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Any parts store will have lots of the hardlines and connectores that you would need to make a new harness. That is where I got all of the pieces that I needed. You can buy the vaccum tubes from the dealership I believe but they are expensive IIRC. Go there and check out their vaccum diagram. I needed one and it was pretty clear from what I remember of it. I'll see if i can find one for ya.

Will this work? For a 86-89 2.8. If not then I found it here:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80163807.jsp

Last edited by 2.8RS; 10-30-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Car: 1988 sport coupe
Transmission: 700 r4

I figured mine from the diagrams that are on the car. I peiced the hard lines back together with small rubber hoses, like a splicer. I went to a salvage yard and took the lines from a 3.1 that go to the TB, the one that goes to the fuel rail and the egr essembly. It is all one piece. If they didn't fit perfectly I heated them up and bent them the way I needed them to go. It now looks good enough. No leaks.

The T on the back of the motor is for the curise (I think) and the brake booster also it feeds the vac to the heater controls inside the car. From the large T there should be a smaller t and from that a small line leading to the FW. That one feeds the heater inside. Once you get it all figured out it's really simple getting to that point is a pain.

IF you need pics let me know and I can take a few. If I can figure it out I send you video of mine explaining the lines to you.
----------
also when I timed the motor correctly my rotor bug was almost pointing directly to the front of the motor. It worked out for me.

Funny thing also. I timed the motor thinking the #1cyl was on the dr side like a V8. I actually got the motor to run like that. Weird. I've corrected my mistakes and have it like it is supposed to be on the pass. side.

Last edited by micali; 11-01-2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-02-2007, 07:37 AM

My dad went and got the full vacuum system from a like model and we hooked it up, but there's a few places we're not sure about.

1) There's two hard lines coming out of the wiring harness n teh passenger firewall. What hooks into them?

2) The "Magic Ball", as I call it, that sits under the charcoal canister. Where does it's line hook into?

3) There's a certain T fitting I have, that I don't remember where it goes. It's plastic. Big on one end, then slopes down to a smaller connection. There's another small connection coming out perpindicular, forming a T. WHere does this hook up?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Car: 85 camaro sport coupe
Engine: 2.8 MFI
Transmission: v6 700R4 wish it was a 5spd Stick
Axle/Gears: Stock non posi 3.42s

made these a while back.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...m-diagram.html
Third pic in the first post be the one you want.

The orb line i have shown on there Ts off about where it goes off the page and then runs to the Cruise servo and the orb.

Dont know about the 2 vacume lines running into the wireing harness mine only has 1 line heading into there. but then again my car is and 85 that came factory with the 86 motor and stuff.

Last edited by xplane; 11-02-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by xplane
You, sir, are my hero. The manual only shows certain portions and does not, for example, show the lines coming for the Mystery Ball/Orb of Power, nor the HVAC. That explains what my special t-line is for, as well as the other two questions.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

I know those two vaccum lines that you are talking about. They come to a T at some sort of vacuum valve and attach at the small T opening on the back of the UIM. I think that one of them is for the heater controls, I'm not sure myself.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

I have two lines going to the air controls inside the car one is for the vacume and the other comes back to the engine bay and on my car it is hooked up to nothing. I have no clue were it goes.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by micali
I have two lines going to the air controls inside the car one is for the vacume and the other comes back to the engine bay and on my car it is hooked up to nothing. I have no clue were it goes.
Should be the heater control valve. Two hard lines from the wiring harness... one to vacuum system, one to heater control valve.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM

my heater controls work fine this extra line that I am talking about is coming from inside th car but is capped off by the blower motor. I would like to know where it goes.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Update on my engine: Spent the past eight hours tracking down vacuum leaks and setting valve lash. It's amazing how much time can be consumed by something seemingly so simple.

The vacuum regulator(I guess that's what you call it) turned out to be bad. We replaced it with a standard T line. Eventually found the piece of rubber that connects to the lower intake manifold to not be sealing, so we had to replace that. Then found one of the plastic lines has a crack in it. We stopped for the night at this point.

HOwever, the engine with this new cam sounds MEAN. I barely tapped the throttle and spun the tire. If I could only manage to get these vacuum leaks fixed so it'll idle properly.

micali: How about some pictures of what you're referring to?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM

There's an air cleaner(I guess) that sits between the alternator and the intake... there's a few vacuum lines going to and from it. I can't find any vacuum diagrams that have this. Every car I found in the junkyard today is missing a t-pipe on the big pipe that hooks into the back of the throttle body. Is the thing even useful, or can I remove it entirely?

I've also still got a HUGE problem of a hissing sound coming from the rear of the engine. Fresh rebuild, all vacuum lines have been replaced several times(I've got about five sets here now). Any suggestions as to what could be the culprit?