V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

efi chip burn tuning v6

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
efi chip burn tuning v6

i want to learn to do this, ive read loads but theres a bit of a grey area, from what i understand i need to remove the chip and put it into a chip reader which plugs into my computer,
now can i not with the right cable and software just plug my laptop straight into the cars onboard conection, and play from there ?
thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: efi chip burn tuning v6

Originally Posted by zs&tas
i want to learn to do this, ive read loads but theres a bit of a grey area, from what i understand i need to remove the chip and put it into a chip reader which plugs into my computer,
now can i not with the right cable and software just plug my laptop straight into the cars onboard conection, and play from there ?
thanks
Remeove the MECAL (holds the stock chip), and use a chip adapter to use a re-writable chip. The stock tunes are available to download as a file, then you can use software to tune, and a chip burner to burn it. The car's on board connection can be used for datalogging. You hook it to your laptop to record a driving session, then make changes you want and re-burn the chip.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 maro
Engine: In the works...
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

The stickies at the top of the diy-prom section are the best place to start. Alot to read and you'll be pretty clueless until you actually get your hands on some tuning equipment, but everything comes together eventually. Just keep reading and experimenting.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 AM

thanks, im sure it will all make sense once i get the equitment infront of me.
so if i wrote a shopping list :
re writable chip
chip burner/reader
software
and the apropiate cables
??????
what sort of things can i actually adjust once i get going ?
thanks again, i will keep reading !
Old 11-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

You'll need a laptop, aldl cable, chip burner (willems makes good cheapies), an eeprom chip and a copy of tunerpro. You'll also need the appropriate definition file for your ecm ($3A for the 1227302) which you can download from moates.net. You're kinda limited with the '302 ecm because there's not alot added to the definition files available and I'm not aware of any publicly available hack of $3A either. If you want more control you'll need to swap in another ecm like a '730 or '165.

-Oh, and the '302 ecm doesn't have a memcal like the p4 ecm's, you just pull the eprom from it's holder.

Last edited by bl85c; 11-26-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bl85c
You'll need a laptop, aldl cable, chip burner (willems makes good cheapies), an eeprom chip and a copy of tunerpro. You'll also need the appropriate definition file for your ecm ($3A for the 1227302) which you can download from moates.net. You're kinda limited with the '302 ecm because there's not alot added to the definition files available and I'm not aware of any publicly available hack of $3A either. If you want more control you'll need to swap in another ecm like a '730 or '165.

-Oh, and the '302 ecm doesn't have a memcal like the p4 ecm's, you just pull the eprom from it's holder.
brilliant that really helps mate. i think the diy prom board leaves a lot to be desired ! im sure it will be more helpfull once i get started, '302 being limited is prob a good thing for a newbie eh ? is it really guna be worth the effort ? and do you think ill get much out of it ? im guna do it anyways just to learn.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

It'll be easiest to learn on the '302 then switch to a better ecm once you have the experience & recources (like a wb02) to do some real tuning. Learning to tune is totally worth it, gm left alot of power and especially fuel economy on the table with the stock tune. I've found that my motor wants alot more fuel at wot than gm gave it and that these little motors are alot more responsive than the stock accel enrich tables allowed for. I've been focusing on economy for a while now and made some good gains, but I think there's still more left in it with better fueling strategies.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 AM

sounds awsome, i cant use mine daily at the moment just too damn'd expensive but if i can get it tuned for economy and then have a seperate file for performance that would be sweet. or just finding the right fueling for my daily cruise rpm would be good. cant wait now ! thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM

Car: 86 Fiero GT turbo, seeking right 86-88 F-bod
Transmission: 4spd

The stock chip is fine with stock injectors. It even works great if have a high flow trueleo intake manifold. http://trueleo.com/f-bd_radif.jpg BTW: that intake has a custom TBI.
Also unless you go to forced induction theres no need to for bigger injectors especially so with a stock or bored-out stock intake, they will just make the fuel mix even richer above 4k.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by zs&tas
i think the diy prom board leaves a lot to be desired !
That's the first time I've ever read that about the DIY PROM forum that is here in TGO. Read the FAQs, there will be quite a bit of info you won't need, just to get started, but just about all of it is good to know.

im sure it will be more helpfull once i get started,
I'm sure it will. It (DIY PROM forum) will also be helpful to get started.

'302 being limited is prob a good thing for a newbie eh ? is it really guna be worth the effort ? and do you think ill get much out of it ? im guna do it anyways just to learn.
Tuning anything can be helpful, even just from a learning perspective, sometimes the limitations of certain code can play against you though, so keep that in mind when you get to something you just can't seem to tune around. Also fix any and all known mechanical issues BEFORE starting to tune. Tuning around mechanical issues will just be more aggrivating than it's worth and will usually end up with less than spectacular results. If there seems to be something that you just can't get tuned properly, and seems like a mechanical issue, it more than likely is.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 IROC, 76 Malibu Classic
Engine: 350 TPI, 350
Transmission: 700R4, 4-speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt ????

can I use chip burning with my ecm to turn off my emissions SES lights? I bypassed most of the emissions and want to tune for more power and drivability.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
That's the first time I've ever read that about the DIY PROM forum that is here in TGO. Read the FAQs, there will be quite a bit of info you won't need, just to get started, but just about all of it is good to know.

I'm sure it will. It (DIY PROM forum) will also be helpful to get started.

Tuning anything can be helpful, even just from a learning perspective, sometimes the limitations of certain code can play against you though, so keep that in mind when you get to something you just can't seem to tune around. Also fix any and all known mechanical issues BEFORE starting to tune. Tuning around mechanical issues will just be more aggrivating than it's worth and will usually end up with less than spectacular results. If there seems to be something that you just can't get tuned properly, and seems like a mechanical issue, it more than likely is.
sorry, didnt mean it as it prob sounds, yes theres lots of great info but it seems its all in one big heap. as you say prob just me though.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Car: 86 Fiero GT turbo, seeking right 86-88 F-bod
Transmission: 4spd

If you have a very modified NA engine, hi-flo intake with bigger TB, eq-lenght headers, higher comp pistons, head work, wild cam, bored out block, etc etc, you may want to burn a new chip, but dont bother if dont you have a wideband to monitor what each burn did. Yeah you can use a dyno, but that will get $$$, go to the dyno when its all done.
Check out the link below I think you find it quite interesting. It compares a carb vers hi-flo FI intake on two dif engines.
BTW: the headers on both were Sprint and not equal lenght at all and they have a small dia Y pipe -needed on Fieros- the collectors are not best design either, thus you should see more gains with the better f-body designed headers available.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/A...-2-066575.html