V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

crazy problems with my firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazy problems with my firebird

ok iv read just about EVERY single post that deals with misfires and every other issue people are having...first let me start by saying the car will start and idle fine but under a slight load the car has a horrible misfire and eats gas like a mother sipper. and has lack of power (spits and sputters when holding the brake and hitting gas..TECH 1 says everything is good..injectors ohm out at 12.4-12.8,I have NO MAF sensor, the parts replaced are plugs,wires,cap,rotor,temp sensor,coolant temp sensor,EGR,O2 sensor,timings at 10*, New magnaflow converter,knock sensor ..WTF else could it be iv been a mechanic for 10 years and have never had this much problems with a F-body or any car at that
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 - looking to upgrade to 3400 hy
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock? Lol
What year. What engine. what is fuel pressure at the rail? Changed the fuel filter yet? Has the car been sitting?

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 - looking to upgrade to 3400 hy
Axle/Gears: Stock? Lol
I really can't tell you anything without some more info

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Re: crazy problems with my firebird

Its a 91 with a 3.1 v6 ... I just bought a fuel filter was told it was just replaced and it looks like it was... Pressure is 47 pounds ... my brothers a cert. In automotive electrical and he says he thinks its the distributor... yeah car ran fine before it was put in storage and its been in storage since October
Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Manual T5
Axle/Gears: Stock

Distributors are a weak point on our cars. I bought a rebuilt one and replaced the whole thing. If you do a search, you'll find the specific distributor parts that are defective and may want to replace just those.

Also, I've seen other posts where the Ignition Control Module (ICM) goes bad and does screwy stuff. My only experience is a bad ICM that completely died. My car would not start until I installed a new one. But, as I said, later I ended up replacing the entire distributor.

Hope this solves your problem. It can be a frustrating PITA trying to track down an electrical problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM

well last night i decided to screw around with the car a little bit. and tried to leave and it would barley make it to the gas station, stalling out spitting and sputtering...after putting 25 dollars in gas and turning the distributor it started up and ran great but had a small misfire so i think after spending 200 dollars on misc. parts ill spend another 150 on a new distributor and see how it runs after
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

u rotated the distributor, and it ran better?

sounds like timing is off 180* or its just really out of time, or u have th eplug wires on wrong.

if the distributor was going bad turning it would have no effect on how the car ran
firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6
5-6
3-4
1-2
Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 PM

the actual distributor is bad..it runs fine till given throttle and when given gas the distributor lifts up on the inside and shorts everything out
Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 PM

WOW. That must have been a shock seeing the dizzy bouncing. So glad you found the problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305

im having similar probs with my 84 trans am with 305 carb qjet. when it sits for a day and I start it up it knocks and shakes rough idle but after 15 sec or so it levels out and quiets up. then the idle slowly rises just above a grand and once it warms up I can kick it down sometimes I cant. when quickly goosed I can hear a knock. I can sometime hear rubbing and grinding and squeeking in distributer. I replaced temp sensor, o2 sensor, plugs and wires. I tried looking for a knock sensor but if it has one I don't know where it is. when I turn heater on and tap on gas tps pushes out and reves to 3 grand once I turn heat off its fine. It did have edelbrock 650 on it but really ran bad so im trying to go stock. but im having hard time knowing where I should run vac hoses. scan says 44 41 34 I need to know if it worth changing map and gmetric sensors and tps or is motor just junk. im still learning here and need some help. I searched threads for 2 weeks now but haven't seen anything that relates to my problems, thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 AM

yeah it took me a while to figure out what was going on so i pulled my dist. complete out and started checking it over. Replaced it with another and it runs great i also picked up a good running 3.1 v6 for 50 bucks for my firebird from a guy in St. Johns MI who said hes been on this site before, what his name on here is idk.

Scootter2012: first place to start with since its a quaderjet is clean the flaps that open and close(could have build up not allowing it to close all the way). In fact its prolly a good idea to have a rebuild done to it (quaderjets are known for gumming up). Any type of noise from the distributor is signs of bad problems figure out were its squeeking from and replace it if nec. Your knock sensor is gonna be on the passenger side of the motor above your starter IF YOU HAVE ONE. The codes indicate as this : 44:Left bank O2 sensor error (lean condition indicated)
41: Ignition control error
34; MAP sensor circuit error (signal low indicating high vacuum)

Sounds like ya got a bad distributor and a vaccum leak... take some carb cleaner and spark it around the motor and listen for idle jumps if you find one thats were a vaccum hose belongs ill see if i can find a diagram for ya
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 AM

the knocking you are hearing sounds more like a spark knock and not and actuall knock knock which leads me back to thinking its a distibutor. I changed EVERY single sensor on my motor before i found out it was the dist. doesnt hurt to try let me know what ya figure out
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by scootter2012
im having similar probs with my 84 trans am with 305 carb qjet. when it sits for a day and I start it up it knocks and shakes rough idle but after 15 sec or so it levels out and quiets up. then the idle slowly rises just above a grand and once it warms up I can kick it down sometimes I cant. when quickly goosed I can hear a knock. I can sometime hear rubbing and grinding and squeeking in distributer. I replaced temp sensor, o2 sensor, plugs and wires. I tried looking for a knock sensor but if it has one I don't know where it is. when I turn heater on and tap on gas tps pushes out and reves to 3 grand once I turn heat off its fine. It did have edelbrock 650 on it but really ran bad so im trying to go stock. but im having hard time knowing where I should run vac hoses. scan says 44 41 34 I need to know if it worth changing map and gmetric sensors and tps or is motor just junk. im still learning here and need some help. I searched threads for 2 weeks now but haven't seen anything that relates to my problems, thanks
scootter2012, since you've got a V8, I'd suggest you start a thread in the "tech/general engine" forum section and ask for help. There are a lot of V8 experts who can help you diagnose. But, I'm glad to see a V8 guy hanging out in the V6 forum. Lot's of good info here and a nice bunch of 3rd gen enthusiasts.