V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

MAF code 34 relay locations and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF code 34 relay locations and more

I've heard the v6 only has a power relay for the maf and that it's located between the airbox and the radiator. I changed this relay and the connector was 4 pin and the new and old relay was 5 pin. I also changed the maf sensor and still have code 34 is there anything else that could be causing this to happen? I do have power at the relay connector, I only used a test lite but I do have a voltmeter I just haven't checked the voltage. Any help would be much appreciated I've put too much money into this car to wind up and sell it out of frustration. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: MAF code 34 relay locations and more

Scroll through some of this, there are some good tests to try in here. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...liter-mfi.html
Old 03-01-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by drdave88
Scroll through some of this, there are some good tests to try in here. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...liter-mfi.html
I look through that but I'll look it over more and start running some tests. Does the v6 infact only have a power relay for the maf? If so where is the location of it and what are the relays on the passenger inner fender ?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

MAF relay is the only relay for the MAF and it's tucked into the corner of the radiator support behind the pass side headlight. Disregard everything mounted to the frame rail by the air box and canister as those are only fuses for the MAF and constant power to ECM and fuel pump. Check the air box assembly, the bellows, the PCV breather elbow in the pass side valve cover, the elbow on the MAF, and anything else between the throttle body and the air filter can for cracks or breaks. Also check vacuum lines and hoses, the rubber ends on the idle air bypass pipe (that nylon POS running between throttle body and the intake manifold) and the pipe itself, the PCV hose from the valve to the top of the pipe, and the vacuum T at the back of the intake for vacuum leaks.

Code 34 is low signal coming out of MAF, which means either low/no power to MAF OR low air flow indicated coming from MAF. If you can get your hands on a multimeter that reads frequency output, probe the BROWN and black wires at the MAF with the engine running. The MAF should produce a 32 Hz frequency output at idle.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
MAF relay is the only relay for the MAF and it's tucked into the corner of the radiator support behind the pass side headlight. Disregard everything mounted to the frame rail by the air box and canister as those are only fuses for the MAF and constant power to ECM and fuel pump. Check the air box assembly, the bellows, the PCV breather elbow in the pass side valve cover, the elbow on the MAF, and anything else between the throttle body and the air filter can for cracks or breaks. Also check vacuum lines and hoses, the rubber ends on the idle air bypass pipe (that nylon POS running between throttle body and the intake manifold) and the pipe itself, the PCV hose from the valve to the top of the pipe, and the vacuum T at the back of the intake for vacuum leaks.

Code 34 is low signal coming out of MAF, which means either low/no power to MAF OR low air flow indicated coming from MAF. If you can get your hands on a multimeter that reads frequency output, probe the BROWN and black wires at the MAF with the engine running. The MAF should produce a 32 Hz frequency output at idle.
What are the MAF fuses? Is there a picture you could send me of them? And could those be causing my problem ?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

If you have power at the relay then the fuse is good. You need to check for power at the MAF but I strongly recommend checking the integrity of the air box assembly and the vacuum hoses first before condemming the MAF.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
If you have power at the relay then the fuse is good. You need to check for power at the MAF but I strongly recommend checking the integrity of the air box assembly and the vacuum hoses first before condemming the MAF.
I haven't check the power at the MAF but I will later tomorrow after work and also see about vacuume lines. Do you know anywhere I could get replacements for the hard vacuum lines??