V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

What did you do to your v6 today ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: What did you do to your v6 today ?

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy
lol yeah, and in China, they just call it "food". That's a cute diner. Good going, take your boy everywhere, and he will grow up to be a gearhead. And have nice memories of the two of you together! Win-win.
yep thats the plan, his been naging me to get it on the road, his grown up seeing ' best car ' out the front of two houses. 'Best car' comes from a daddy telling his 2day old all about it , and well the whole family calls it that now. I used to sit up middle of the night feeding him watching my knightrider dvds lol , his six now, i just picked him up from school in it, suns out , roofs off. Went exploring and to feed the ducks down by the local river. Good times !
Old 03-18-2017, 11:22 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I've only skimmed this whole tread, but have seen it pop up over the years. Today is the first day in many years that I have something to add, besides moving it on a trailer a year and a half ago.
I have finally started working on my car after a few months of accumulating parts that I need replaced. I only got to the tank, but haven't dropped it out yet so maybe a few more hours of work I can get the fuel pumped changed out and maybe try to fire up the engine for the first time in 14 years. Then I can see what other issues I have to deal with besides rebuilding the transmission.

I would say it was a good day!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 AM
On Probation

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro vert/86 SC
Engine: 355 tbi/2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: 2.72 posi/3.42 open

Good for you, david86camaro. Every step forward gets you closer to driving it. Any recent pics?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 AM

Good for you, david86camaro. Every step forward gets you closer to driving it. Any recent pics?
definitely, any progress is good progress, looking forward to pictures may the force be with you........
Old 03-19-2017, 08:59 AM

Nothing special with the pics that I took:
How it sat before I started.
Where I was when I stopped, from the passenger side.
And from the drivers sideProgress is slow with family around and trying to get other things done too. The one part that I had a hard time with was getting the bolts of the axil support brace off, but my dad had relayed a trick he had just heard and it worked. Just heat the bolts up and then melt wax on them, the wax will get in and give lubercation and it worked well!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Nice ! Looks real solid underneath, mines a British weather rusty rustbucket lol
I like all the tricks you can pick up whilst working on these old cars, glad it worked, I will remember that one !
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 AM

Tried to secure my filler flap as when turning right it flies open. Then tried to line it up but it won't . The tab on the flap gets pulled down by the flap mount on the car when shutting so it all sits low. Not sure what to do ?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 PM

Yay got a few more hours on it and got the tank loose, but can't get it out! Over 30 years in one place it doesn't want out! The only thing I can think of is my exhaust is getting in the way. I just can't twist it enough to get the filler neck out of the hole.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:38 AM

Have you undone the shocks to let the axle drop further , should be able to Tip the right side out first ? Hmm best disconnect the exhaust anyway as you might end up bending something up stream at that angle ? Just a thought
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 AM

Managed to line up fuel flap, and made my passenger door latch more adjustable , i can pull the door in a little now .

Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by zs&tas
Have you undone the shocks to let the axle drop further , should be able to Tip the right side out first ? Hmm best disconnect the exhaust anyway as you might end up bending something up stream at that angle ? Just a thought
Yes axle shocks disconnected, my issue with the exhaust is that there a no joint that look like they will separate without cutting it.

It seams I can't drop this side of the tank enough to have the neck slip out.

I'm open to ideas, it seems if I get the axle to drop more it almos seams the suspension mount gets in the way unless I can get the muffler out of the way to allow me to twist the tank a little.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 AM

If the axles droped no sus mount should get in your way, just need to lift the car higher ! The exhaust should come away after the cat ? It is awkward man. Ive cut exhausts before , you can just buy the right size joiner to put the pipe back together , you could just cut it infront of the axle then too. Beats trying to fight your way through.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM

If the axles droped no sus mount should get in your way, just need to lift the car higher ! The exhaust should come away after the cat ? It is awkward man. Ive cut exhausts before , you can just buy the right size joiner to put the pipe back together , you could just cut it infront of the axle then too. Beats trying to fight your way through.
The joints before and after the cat are completely fused, I had the exhaust including the y-pipe put on about 2 or 3 years before I stopped driving it about 15 years ago. So I would have thought it wouldn't be that bad, but Midas did a good job fitting things together and the little bit of rust on it completely fused it all.
At this point I will plan to cut the pipe before the axle and get a joiner to put back together. There still is room under the axle and some slack in the break lines so I think I may try to get that lower with a jack or something it seams the axle is supported by the torque arm or something enough to stay in the way too.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by david86camaro
The joints before and after the cat are completely fused, I had the exhaust including the y-pipe put on about 2 or 3 years before I stopped driving it about 15 years ago. So I would have thought it wouldn't be that bad, but Midas did a good job fitting things together and the little bit of rust on it completely fused it all.
At this point I will plan to cut the pipe before the axle and get a joiner to put back together. There still is room under the axle and some slack in the break lines so I think I may try to get that lower with a jack or something it seams the axle is supported by the torque arm or something enough to stay in the way too.
Well got my exhaust separated, took my end links off and took off the brake line bracket and got the tank out and back in! I still have a little work before I put fuel in and see if I can get it to start.

I now now have two questions, anyone know what is the size of the rear sway bar on the V6? Need to replace the end links and should do the bushings too? My second question is any recommendations on starting a car that hasn't run in 13 years? I did change the oil about 8 years ago and put mystery oil in the cylinders then too. I will plan on changing oil before I try to start it but don't know what else I should do.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 AM

As long as it has oil I'd go right ahead and try to start it, get it warmed up. Best changing oil when it's all warm. Filter too. But tbh i wouldn't change it until it's been out on the road.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:43 AM

Car: 1984 Firebird S/E
Engine: 1985 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 1985 T5 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42/4.03

Well got my exhaust separated, took my end links off and took off the brake line bracket and got the tank out and back in! I still have a little work before I put fuel in and see if I can get it to start.

I now now have two questions, anyone know what is the size of the rear sway bar on the V6? Need to replace the end links and should do the bushings too? My second question is any recommendations on starting a car that hasn't run in 13 years? I did change the oil about 8 years ago and put mystery oil in the cylinders then too. I will plan on changing oil before I try to start it but don't know what else I should do.
not sure on sway bar size as they changed them so many times, but it's pretty puny. As for what to do, change oil, plugs, leads, cap and rotor arm, make sure your coolant is good and definately change the fuel or you'll tack up the injectors and it'll run like crap and cause you no end of problems. Apart from that, go for it!!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Had a friend come round so we went for a drive. Maxed it out. First time in this car and I've had it ten years ! It felt good, and went fast enough. Faster than my old 3.1 .
Old 03-26-2017, 03:47 PM

So I don't have any precision measurement tools but if I hold my tape measure to my sway bar it's right at 3/4" so my conversion says it's a 19mm, the other sizes I found were 21mm and 24 mm so I hope my rough measurement is good, so I can get new bushing and end links.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 AM

So I don't have any precision measurement tools but if I hold my tape measure to my sway bar it's right at 3/4" so my conversion says it's a 19mm, the other sizes I found were 21mm and 24 mm so I hope my rough measurement is good, so I can get new bushing and end links.
yeah the 19mm sounds right. They're really thin on the V6 but upping them to Trans am rears without extra power can really mess up your handling. I'll measure mine when I get to the shed and report back later on!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by knightinblackar
They're really thin on the V6 but upping them to Trans am rears without extra power can really mess up your handling.
Why do you say that ?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 AM

Why do you say that ?
I read it on here from some guys who have done it. Appparently the added stiffness can make the rear end reak away earlier and apparently the car just feels out of balance after they've been changed. The V6 drives quite differently to the V8 due to the engine behind further back over the front wheels instead of hanging over them as the V8 does. Cornering requires slightly different geometry. From what I've read from the guys in the know on here anyway.

Last edited by knightinblackar; 03-27-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:11 AM

Ah cool, thanks for explaining, its funny cause I have thought about swapping it, but in reality I'm more likely to go smaller at the front. My biggest problem at the minute is the front sitting to high, so until I sort that I won't be changing anything, except getting a wonder bar.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:19 AM

Ah cool, thanks for explaining, its funny cause I have thought about swapping it, but in reality I'm more likely to go smaller at the front. My biggest problem at the minute is the front sitting to high, so until I sort that I won't be changing anything, except getting a wonder bar.
Thats the one thing I forgot to buy! It's on the list. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Wife went out, sun shone, so me and the lad went for a little cruise to a local nature spot.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM

I finally got my car started for the first time in 13 years over the weekend! Once I got the fuel tank came out the rest of changing the fuel pump went smooth, but I didn't put everything back together since I need to rebuild the transmission. After a little effort, some starting fluid (a little fire) and a lot of cranking it final ran on it's own! It was very loud (since the exhaust is off from the cat back) and after letting it run for over 10 minutes and the temp never went above 130, but was running pretty smooth, and man did it start quickly after I had let it rest for 15 minutes.
So a few questions, when I ran it the next day I had to rev i a little to keep it running at first and there was a little back fire or 2. I will have to check the timing when I get everything back together, but is there anything else I need to look for? Maybe it's happening since there is only half an exhaust system!
The second question may or may not be a big deal. While it was running I had to keep the clutch in or the rear axle wanted to spin a little and the transmission whined a little even though it was in natural. And the clutch made some noise a little squeal if the it was in all the way and quieted down a little when I released a little. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to replace the clutch when I rebuild the trans. I'm guessing it's just something sticking from sitting for 13 years. Any ideas why it is spinning the trans when it's in natural?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM

Glad it ran bud
again i wouldn't worry about tune up until it's back together except now you can warm the engine up I'd change the oil and filter, it'll like that.
Cant help with gearboxes or transmissions for that matter. As far as I'm concerned they use magic !
I suppose when mine goes I'll work it all out then .
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird
Transmission: THM 700R4

New glass for this old car.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your v6 today ?-17992051_1719461711404936_6932587882011658260_n.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-18033107_1719461748071599_9190090317272794475_n.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird
Transmission: THM 700R4

So taking the gf to work and she goes to get out and notices the car is getting hot. So i pop the hood and lower radiator hose is gushing. So checked the upper and it wasn't far off so left the bird and went to get both upper and lower hoses. fixed and on the road again!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 AM

Nice quick fix ! Cheap too, older cars are so much easier than new ones. My daily is a cheap ol banger cost me nout to run, my last car was a newer version and just basic upkeep was silly.
new glass always a great improvement too , looking good 😀
Old 04-22-2017, 01:16 AM

I have measured up and made stainless light brackets to go under my 88 nosecone, bit like gumbys. Pics later when i go to fit them 😉
Old 04-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Just a quicky
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM

Tried to work out why the rear left sits low.
rear end all checks good. Next week the front !
Old 04-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Not happy. Went for drive, got fuel, then starts missing through rpms and doesn't idle right. Coincidence that it was after I put fuel in ?
or something else ? No ses light came on. Hmm.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:41 PM

Not happy. Went for drive, got fuel, then starts missing through rpms and doesn't idle right. Coincidence that it was after I put fuel in ?
sounds like water in the fuel, get some gas dryer/antifreeze. It could be something else, but I've had that many years ago with mine.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 tta
Engine: turbo v6
Transmission: 200r4

worked on front suspension got new tie rods idler arm and drag link installed, also replaced power antenna and ran wire for a boost pressure sensor.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 AM

sounds like water in the fuel, get some gas dryer/antifreeze. It could be something else, but I've had that many years ago with mine.
interesting idea mate thanks, sucks , the amount of money i have to pay for fuel and its crap, think if i fill the rest up at a different station it may sort it ?

How the hell does water end up there anyhows , wonder what process at the station could be making that happen.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:25 AM
On Probation

interesting idea mate thanks, sucks , the amount of money i have to pay for fuel and its crap, think if i fill the rest up at a different station it may sort it ?

How the hell does water end up there anyhows , wonder what process at the station could be making that happen.
Hi there,
I used to work at a gas station many years ago, and (unfortunately) it was fairly common to get water in the tanks. If the delivery truck driver did not put the caps back on securely after pumping the fuel, and if it rained, water in the tank.

I agree with getting some gas dryer. The alcohol kind will soak up any water in your tank, and burn it. Then, like you said, top the tank off with some known good gas. Should clear it up.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 AM
On Probation

BTW - another lesser-known dirty trick is, when the delivery driver has extra 87 octane, they dump it in the premium tank. It is supposed to be 91 octane, but, buyer beware!!

The excuse is, the station buys a tanker of fuel. It is supposed to be correct for 87 octane and 91 octane, but neither the station nor the truck can guarantee the total fuel in each tank, so if there is extra 87, they fill up whatever tank needs filling.

Nice, huh?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

This is what I did recently with my V6. I made a custom STB.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your v6 today ?-20170502_180134.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-20170502_180145.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-20170502_180154.jpg  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS T-top
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: auto

Not today, but last month I did did sfc (from TDS) and exhaust tips. Much tighter ride and cleaner looking now, I think.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:30 PM

robertfrank that's cool, good job, thanks for the photos, me and a buddy literally last couple of days were discussing making one up for my firebird.
I'm probably guna use the strut mounts with mine, and stainless.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS T-top
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: auto

robertfrank that's cool, good job, thanks for the photos, me and a buddy literally last couple of days were discussing making one up for my firebird.
I'm probably guna use the strut mounts with mine, and stainless.
I looked for a strut tower brace but couldn't find one for the 3.1 v6. The subframe connectors made a huge improvement for rattles/creaks.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM

You can prob fit a tips or v8s. Just too pricey where I am. I'll make one.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

I build them and sell them for $150 shipped lol
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 AM

na something else is going on I think now. I'm guna start doing some Checks. Got to work on very light throttle today. Thinking I'll look at the EST connections, and check my coil.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM

na something else is going on I think now. I'm guna start doing some Checks. Got to work on very light throttle today. Thinking I'll look at the EST connections, and check my coil.
i found a vac leak. Got it sealing up now, ill take the car to work tmrw and see how she runs, fingers crossed
Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 AM

i found a vac leak. Got it sealing up now, ill take the car to work tmrw and see how she runs, fingers crossed
made it ! She ran good again, I tried different scenarios, engine loads and speeds, touch wood that's it
Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Ok. So I've had the front springs out, gave them a trim and reseated them, I've done the backs, I've checked the sway bars. I can't figure out why this thing leans to one side. Only thing not swaped is the front struts. Starting to wonder if that's it ? Am I missing something ??
Old 05-14-2017, 10:52 AM

made it ! She ran good again, I tried different scenarios, engine loads and speeds, touch wood that's it
Had a great drive out with my niece, car was back to spluttering again, its not constant, it can clear through the revs. Cars not bad on light throttle, sometimes idles steady sometimes not.

Jobs for tomorrow, unhook panhard bar and see if car levels out. Check fpr , somehow.

Last edited by zs&tas; 05-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

I we my to the junkyard and started pulling parts since my camaro didn't sell. Got a full gray interior, dash cluster with working circuit boards v8 tho, center console with shift plate and lid, rear spoiler no damage, and a few odds ends.
My shift plate had a broken corner and had the white letters. Other one had a broken corner and yellow letters. Chopped them in half and drop them in, now I just remove ash tray plate. Put an led in the shifter, sanded the yellow strap inside and now shines very yellow. Took the gauge face plates of and also made them yellow. I noticed when people put less the blue paint in the back makes the numbers lime green. Sanded the backs with 120 grit and 320 grit. Need some leds for cluster just not sure what kind. Took the 25th anniversary badge from the dash, cut the 25th anniversary off and only left the yellow rs letters.
I actually like the yellow in the interior.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your v6 today ?