What did you do to your v6 today ? - Page 5 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

What did you do to your v6 today ?

Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #201

Re: What did you do to your v6 today ?

Recently painted it back to black. Got the paint for 25 and thinner for another 20 and borrowed a friends compressor and painted it in less then 4 hours . Not a great job but looks alright since I am on a low low low budget. Wish I could go back in time when I first bought it and it was pretty much all stock and flawless, body all original. A while back some idiot ran in front of me at the last second and destroyed my front end originality. He didn't have insurance so I had to take him to small claims. Had a 84 z28 for parts and I took the front end to replace mine. Really bummed out cause the hit caused my fenders and hood not to line up properly but hey. Original motor still going strong with over 250xxx

miles.
maroe624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #202

Here you can tell the gauge color difference here.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0047.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0048.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0050.jpg  
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #203

Looks good Maroe, wish I knew someone that could blow over my car like that !
zs&tas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #204

My Camaro/Firebird derived 2.8 MPFI V6 is in a TR7.
I realise nobody here cares lol.

However I have managed to get the car running fairly well with a megasquirt1 and deleted MAF, EGR, AIR and all that stuff.

So if anyone's considering a megasquirt and looking for an initial tune to get you up and running, by all means drop me a line. Might save you some messing about.

Cheers
carltr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltr7 View Post
good to know, thanks for sharing ! So you driving it now then ?

Drove mine to work, no stuttering, smooth idle, no codes.
Quite pleased with that yaknow !!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltr7 View Post
My Camaro/Firebird derived 2.8 MPFI V6 is in a TR7.

However I have managed to get the car running fairly well with a megasquirt1 and deleted MAF, EGR, AIR and all that stuff.

So if anyone's considering a megasquirt and looking for an initial tune to get you up and running, by all means drop me a line. Might save you some messing about.

Cheers
might be interested in this for the near future! And people do care
knightinblackar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #207

So I know the guy before me had this thing in pieces, stuff doesn't work, horrid wiring connections, random wires, all that sorta thing. Well the computer has never actually been secured properly and I've never really looked at it. Well today I took it all out had a good look around and secured it how I saw fit, it isn't flapping around anymore and now I know what's going on under there. Whilst I'm there does anyone know what this yellow box is and this little metal box still on the passenger side dash.....Wondered what this is?
And this little metal box on the front of the dash.
Various zip ties now mean the computer is not flapping around, it is sitting on the ledge on some things foam padding.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #208

Yellow box is vss buffer box for speedometer (thanks for posting know I know where it's at). That cube thing, if I'm correct and it's heavy, is a "discrimination" sensor for the air bag system. Looks like the one below the center console.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #209

So this weekend I went to the junkyard and took some more stuff of the camaro. Took seats, grid tail lights, steering wheel airbag (mint), speaker covers, drivers side under dash panel (no cracks), arm rests, and a few odds and ends.
Removed seats covers. They where a pain to remove because of those metal rings. I took them to the laundromat and washed them. Air dried them and put them back on. I used zip ties instead of hog rings. Cleaned the interior set. Was going to install but didn't have a 18my socket. So put it back together with clean seats.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0078.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0080.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0077.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #210

Thanks cheerio. I dont know how heavy the silver metal box is, thats exactly where it was attached , i havnt moved it. My car did not have airbags though.
that yellow vss box was just dangling next to the ecm.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #211

Found it.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0095.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 AM   #212

Old 06-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #213

Went to junkyard today for some stuff. Got some own floor mats. They were full of rust, mold, and mud. Drivers side has a bald spot. Might re-clean them for rest of stains. Dyed all my black interior with some bondo dye. Looks real nice. Covered the speaker covers with some useless door panels. Fixed my vents. Changed airbag because mine was torn.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0103.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0113.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0114.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0118.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0117.jpg  

What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0108.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0109.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #214

I'm finally getting my trans out to rebuild. I've spent the last 2 nights under it. All I have left is to separate the engine and trans (I think). Does any know if I need to remove the lower shift boot? It looks like I need to remove the whole center console to get to the bolts. I've never pulled a transmission before, is there just a few bolts that connect it to the engine the it slides out? I feel like there is more but I maybe over thinking it.
david86camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #215

You've been busy cheerio ! I've hoovered my car out, which is silly really beacuse next week it's doing a 500 mile camping trip with two muddy mountain bikes stashed in side, oh well it's clean for this week.
ive been doing some suspension tweeks , adjusted camber and Castor on drivers and Castor on passengers. Panhard rod is in the shed being cut and welded up a little longer to center the axle.
Lots of marking up.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #216

Well went to junkyard for a 4 wire pigtail. To wire in a lighted mirror. It had 4 black wires so I had to take it apart figure out the wiring and then wire it to the car. Only issue I had was that there's a light that should turn on with the parking lights (illumination). So I know that the light will work when it's grounded so I tried using the gray wire from the "ash tray light". But both of them where grounded. So I added a switch that let's me control that light also. Removed headliner and bought bondo glass. Some gray vinyl paint. Ripped defogger wiring from other camaro. Mostly. Missing under dash to switch. But do have the actual switch in yellow. Re-did sail panel covers. On the fence on them, might use them. Bought a stitching machine for sun visors. Making them gray with yellow sticking. Next weekend I'm going to wash the panels I got paint them and install them. I'll be stripping it down completely. Get a quote on repairs then reassemble with restored headliner, plastics, sunvisors, oem floor mats, and try to wire in the defogger. Also have a lead on a dashpad crack free for 100$, yellow lighter, maybe better panels, and gauges (hope v6). I'll stop. Dear lord this going on forever.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0180.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0177.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0124.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0121.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #217

I will be fixing this problem.... and a broken exhaust hangar

88Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #218

Ooooio how did that happen ? Dosnt look that rusty ?

We went camping, car was well behaved
Nice sight when I open the tent in the morning.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #219

Rear shelf was handy for roadtrip coffee......
Front shelf was used for BBQ burgers and later, sauces and whiskey.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #220

not sure but it will be replaced soon enough
Old 07-13-2017, 04:14 AM   #221

I while back I bought a torque arm from Qwiktrip. it had a heim joint so when I bought the crossmember from Spohn it didn't work. The bolt provided by Spohn was 1/2" I believe and the heim joint came with a 3/4" bolt. Not only that but the 3/4" bolt is too short on the relocation bracket. So I took a piece of flat stock from work and made 2 new brackets, a spacer, and a "spacer nut". Since the bolt was too short I took a nut and ground it down to 1/2", hoping that it will stop the bolt from falling out for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0218.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0219.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0220.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0221.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0222.jpg  

What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0223.jpg   What did you do to your v6 today ?-imag0224.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #222

I had to park my baby 2 days ago after a devistating transmission gave out. Now only has reverse and 1st. was just entering St.Louis after a fun 249 miles from Memphis when i noticed that my rpm was at 3k and i wasn't moving fast due to rush hour. I eventually lost all but 1st and reverse. I landed in East St.louis cesspool. Thought maybe it was low on fluid. So i ask a guy where the nearest place i could get some and i wlked a half mile through the hood to buy it. that didn't change the trans. So i called my brother about an hour away thankfully who was currently driving my truck. Got the car to his house and now it's stuck in Illinois til i find a trans for it. i ened up on 25th and state in east stlouis. later tht night 2 people were shot in the exact location i was at. Aslo got into it with a crackhead.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #223

Glad u got outa there and it wasn't you !
Now. Go get her fixed .
Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #224

It's disintegrating
Old 08-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs&tas View Post
It's disintegrating
lol, I think yours looks better than mine, it's on my list but I have to get mine running first.
david86camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #226

yeah I also took my headliner off. not a priority but I did use a toothbrush to knock off all that "foam". then I reinforced some areas with bondo glass. it had cracked in half taking it out. swapped out the alternator for a cs144. now this cs144 is going to need a rebuild, lights dim. I had the previous alt rebuilt but it wasn't enough. however with this cs144 if I'm blasting my music and I floor it, you can see the headlights dim real bad. i also acquired another set of hinges for the hatch. they where slightly bent so i stuck them on a vice and straighten them out. hopefully it will fix the alignment. bought a dual 15" sub box for 60$. i also think i messed up my rear end. i was out freedoming on the 4th of july and then while i was powerbraking my right side tire stopped smoking and then the left one started to spin. needless to say my one wheel peel is now on the left side. is that normal?

Last edited by Cheerio; 08-07-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:28 AM   #227

Not sure cheerio, if it moves the car forwards, isn't too noisy and no vibrations I'd drive the hell out of it
my headliner snapped in the middle too, also some bits fell off at the back nr the seatbelt holes. I'm not sure weather to waste time repairing it to be fragile and average or just leave it off .