V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

What are the v6 intake options

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: I drive trans am. Duh
Engine: Yes, I have one in the trans am
Transmission: I have one of those too In trans am
Axle/Gears: In the rear of trans am
What are the v6 intake options

I am looking to get a new intake. I like the GN style. But I don't know is if I have to run those heads to run that type of intake. And what other issues I may run Into.
If the price is out there enough I'll just weigh my options and maybe get another block and build that. I need a spare anyways. So if I go that way, what am I looking for? Do I want one out of a Buick?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: What are the v6 intake options

Knowing what engine you have in your car would be helpful. As the '89 TTA (6-cyl) already has the Buick GN intake.

If you have a 2.8l or 3.1l 60° V6, the Buick intake won't even get close to bolting up.

A modified 3.4l f-body intake could be used. Some spacers between the stock upper and lower can be done. Some have used the stock lower with a tall pizza box upper (fabricated).

RBob.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:39 AM

Yes. I'm sorry. I have the 2.8. So to drop that type of intake would it require the Buick heads? If so, Would I be better off just buying a Buick engine? If that is the case what should I be looking for? I do plan to turbo. I have most of the stuff here waiting to go.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

You cannot put the Buick heads on the Chevy engine. Sounds like you are incredibly new to cars I would probably start researching the basics before you get into a project like turbocharging.

If you can find the Buick engine being the LD5 / LC2 it will probably be expensive and a pain to install and then manage. Your best bet if you insist on a turbo V6 would be a 3.4L turbo project or a hybrid V6 at least those would bold in and be easier to control.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Lolz. No offense, but there's a pretty monumental learning curve from not understanding the difference between a Buick 3.8 and Chevy 2.8L V8 and having a successful turbo swap.

Get handy with the search feature and dig in, or you'll be starting a lot of threads to ask goofy questions.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Lolz. No offense, but there's a pretty monumental learning curve from not understanding the difference between a Buick 3.8 and Chevy 2.8L V8 and having a successful turbo swap.

Get handy with the search feature and dig in, or you'll be starting a lot of threads to ask goofy questions.
what's that you say? So I have a v8 2.8? What?
right
I know the v8 stuff. I've built a few. I've never had a 6. So I am not sure what swaps with what. I see people putting other heads from other years, and I am asking because I didn't find any answers to what I was looking for. To turbo is the easy part. It is getting into the tune that is another story. And I am capable of doing both. I am no where close to a noob. I've just never touched a '6.
I have a '8 sitting there but that's going into my other car. And I could build the othe block, but I want to stay six in this one. I basically want to do a TT/A and I don't want to shell out the money for a GN 109 block. Plus most times the crank is toast anyways, or some one striped it out of the block. I want some power but plan to stay realistic here. I know how the saying goes, pick two out of three.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Just like a V8 a where a buick V8 head will not fit on a chevy V8 on a V6 a buick head will not fit on a chevy block.

There are no special rules once you chop off two cylinders.

I am not sure you realize they are completely different motors you will never be able to make a TTA with a GN engine unless you go buy a GN motor. So just to remind you one more time the chevy 2.8 you have is not in the same family as the buick motor used in the TTA or GN. Once again your best bet is a 3.4 or hybrid swap then turbo.

Do some reading on chevy 60 degree V6s and the GN motor you seem very new to engines in general and we are just trying to help

Originally Posted by HellHound

right
I know the v8 stuff. I've built a few. I've never had a 6. So I am not sure what swaps with what. I see people putting other heads from other years, and I am asking because I didn't find any answers to what I was looking for. To turbo is the easy part. It is getting into the tune that is another story. And I am capable of doing both. I am no where close to a noob. I've just never touched a '6.
I have a '8 sitting there but that's going into my other car. And I could build the othe block, but I want to stay six in this one. I basically want to do a TT/A and I don't want to shell out the money for a GN 109 block. Plus most times the crank is toast anyways, or some one striped it out of the block. I want some power but plan to stay realistic here. I know how the saying goes, pick two out of three.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 PM

Okay. For whatever reason I was under the impression they were close to the same thing. And they are not and that is fine I just need to find one and build that then. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by HellHound

LOL Please excuse the typo. I'm not sure how that V8 snuck in there, but you should probably follow it's example. Swapping a 3.8 in place of a 2.8 or 3.1, 3.4, whatever is going to be nearly as involved as swapping a V8, and when you're done you're stuck with 2 less cylinders and an engine that the GN boys don't necessarily love. I took a 2.3L Mustang with 88hp, converted it to a 2.3L EFI turbo making north of 300hp. Looking back, I think I'd enjoy it more if I'd just built a V8. Learn from my mistake.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 3.4 turbo
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

for starters hellhound, your 2.8L is a 60 degree V6. The Buick 3.8 is a 90 degree, as is the 4.3L.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Hellhound:
SBC 90 degree V8, 90 degree (corporate) bellhousing
GM 3800 90 deg V6, 60 degree (metric) bellhousing
Buick 3.8 - NOT THE SAME AS F-BODY!!! 90 V6/ 90corp or BOP - not sure
Your engine: 2.8/3.1/3.4 60 V6 / 60 deg metric <--easiest swap for you would be 3.4 out of a later Camaro/'Bird. Many parts interchange, do searches.

In addition, there are DOZENS of combinations of transmissions, input shafts, clutches and torque converters, etc. I.E. a 2.8/3.1/3.4 T5 will not bolt up to a 3800 properly, the SBC trans utilizes a 298mm converter/shaft and the LSx uses a 300mm converter/shaft...
There are a whole bunch of reasons here to do your homework before you spend a single dollar. It's easy to go broke and still not finish your project.