V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Oil leak and exhaust questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Oil leak and exhaust questions.

So I am in the middle of rebuilding my transmission so I can get my Camaro running after 15 years in my garage. I had a pretty decent oil leak for most of the years I was driving it. It appears that it might be the front main seal, but I知 not 100% sure, the whole pan is oily and dirty. How much do I need to lift my motor to drop the pan to replace the gaskets?

Also, it looks like my exhaust is touching my oil pan and one strut mount, I知 a little worried that the exhaust will heat up my oil, any ideas as to the best way to adjust the exhaust away from the pan. It looks like the bottom of the exhaust has a little road rash, so may have been pushed into the pan, oops!😜
Old 09-10-2018, 05:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Oil leak and exhaust questions.

You're going to have to remove the distributor to lift the engine up far enough to get the pan out. Even then, you'll just barely have enough clearance to get it out. It's not fun at all to do in the car. You can't route the exhaust away from the oil pan, just the design of it. The exhaust does not heat up the oil enough to cause any issues, so I wouldn't be worried about that. You said the exhaust is touching a strut mount, did you mean a motor mount? The strut mount is located above your wheel, on top of the strut by the coil spring and wheel hub, etc.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Your right engine mount (I was tired last night!). Thanks for the info on the oil pan, still debating if it痴 worth fixing the leak, with that much work I may just live with the leak.
So the hot exhaust shouldn稚 be an issue touching the oil pan? Not that I知 too worried, this car won稚 be a daily driver anymore, so the oil will changed with low miles.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Supreme Member

No it won't be an issue. We would all have the same issue otherwise. The only issue it may cause is a really annoying noise from the pipe rattling against the pan all the time lol.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by drdave88
No it won't be an issue. We would all have the same issue otherwise. The only issue it may cause is a really annoying noise from the pipe rattling against the pan all the time lol.
LOL, it痴 tight to the pan there is no rattling! Good to know, thanks.
I did look at it again, the pipe is rubbing against the a-arm pivot point, so we were both wrong, I知 thinking it should be too big of an issue, worst thing that could happen is it would dent the pipe!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 AM

It痴 not a good picture but this is the front main seal, it seams to be where the oil is the wettest, even thought I might be able to fix it from the timing cover, I think if I try to fix it, I need to do the whole pan.
I noticed a lot of grease on the throw out bearing(maybe that痴 what it is?) is this a concern?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Supreme Member

The oil around the pan could be from a combination of leaks; front cover, oil pan, front crank seal...... It'll be impossible to tell unless you completely clean it all up and then watch for where it starts leaking out of. As far as the throw out bearing goes, pull it out and see how it feels turning it, it may be about time to replace it if the grease is coming out like that. Since you have the trans out and it's right there, I'd just replace the bearing, good insurance if no other reason.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by drdave88
The oil around the pan could be from a combination of leaks; front cover, oil pan, front crank seal...... It'll be impossible to tell unless you completely clean it all up and then watch for where it starts leaking out of. As far as the throw out bearing goes, pull it out and see how it feels turning it, it may be about time to replace it if the grease is coming out like that. Since you have the trans out and it's right there, I'd just replace the bearing, good insurance if no other reason.
I was planning on replacing the clutch (and have it already), so I guess I need to add the bearing to the list, to buy and get done.
I知 cleaning up everything to see if I can find any leaks and going to paint the undercarriage while things are out.