V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Little help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little help please

Recently picked up a project, 1986 firebird with 2.8L V6. For the most part everything is coming together, but im at a standstill until I get past a few burps in the engine bay. Car had no top end when I started , so after I get everything installed the way I think it should be , I wound up with a few plugs and pigtails that dont have a home, so im hoping someone here would take a few minutes and get me pointed in the right direction..Ill upload some pics because simply asking where the single wire green plug thingee goes prolly wont gain much attention..But to put this in a nutshell. my isues are.
.2 sensors on my intake, one is there , one is missing and i dont know is thats the coolant temp sensor or intake temp sensor.
one single wire located by the distributor, cant find its home
one wire totally burned up and cant make out what it is or what it was
please look at my vacuum set up and verify if im close. The tee on back of intake --one goes brake booster im assuming, and th other side goes????
Old 05-19-2019, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Sport Coupe
Engine: 3.4 MPFI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Little help please

The purple wire goes to the 02 sensor. The sensor is located on your exhaust on the passenger side, where the two pipes meet from each head.
The green/white wire looks like the coolant fan switch sensor, which is located on the rear of the passenger side head. Also, get a new connector, that one looks awful, and they are cheap.
On the sensors on the intake manifold, the one with the yellow wire is the coolant temp for the engine the smaller one is a sensor that is tied in with your 7th cold start injector. The one you really, really need if it's not hooked up is the yellow and black one. If you ever do a 3.4 swap, the manifold is different, and has no place for it. I deleted it and taped off the wires for the 7th injector, cos I'm in Florida, and I don't care.
As far as the vacuum, there are diagrams all over the place. On my car, from that point on the T, it goes to the charcoal canister on the driver's side front.
Hope that helps.