Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

What's the deal with black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: What's the deal with black wheels?

black crosslace ftw love teh way they look
Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 firebird
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by gearhead141
I check out craigslist all the time looking for thirdgens. Recently I have found a couple of cars that have the original wheels, but they were painted black. Is this some new fad? It just doesn't look right on the original wheels in my opinion. I'm thinking this must be a great look to a twenty-two year old. What started this trend? If I bought a car with blacked out wheels, it would be one of my first projects to restore them. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some cars that look very nice with black rims, but they were shiny (the rims). These two cars that were for sale, it appeared as if the wheels were sprayed with a can of flat black paint. Can someone explain this to me?
i had to look hard at that picture. looked almost exactly like my car, i took a look outside my house just to make sure then i noticed it was a hardtop

and yes, i spray painted them cause i bought them dark gray and that just looked nasty
Attached Thumbnails What's the deal with black wheels?-2.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Car: 1989 Formula 350 / 2001 TA WS6
Engine: 350 / LS1
Transmission: Auto / Auto

black wheels especially flat black makes it look like the owner had 4 flats and is rolling on donut tires. i think its just trashy looking.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JMR
pointless thread....but will feed it
what is wrong with this car???

or this one

Well thanks man the last car is mines.

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
FAIL

first two cars dont have totally black wheels, and they looks fine to me.
last car looks sweet, but the wheels dont cut it.
I think it looks really good. 18 inch ZR1 9.5 275/40/18 i think it matches the car really nice. But hey you have ur own opinion.

I really never been into chrome rims, its just not me. But there are some really nice looking cars on this form with nice chrome wheels. I guess it all depends on the wheel and tire combo. But hey everyone is different i just wanted to go with a different look and let me tell you i have gotten so many comments on how good the wheels look and matches my car. I had bought these wheels already powdered glossy black. I have also painted other rims from a 85 grand national gnx and some zr1 rims glossy black with chrome lip with spray can and it came out really nice. I guess it just depends on how good of a job you do them. I took my time on them and sanded and water sanded them down, primer them, bake them, color sand them, and sprayed them with glossy black, bake them again, spray them again and color sand them with 1000 grid sand paper and hit them up with clear.

It all depends on how you do them. Just my .

-Mike
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

Originally Posted by JMR

and this is just stunning

WOW! if somebody had described that wheel/tire combo to me, I would have thought it would have been terrible, but I have to say that looks AWESOME

I'm partial to black wheels, especially on a grey car. I've polished the rims and flat accents on mine

Name:  DSCN1500.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  56.4 KB
Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

Im gonna say +1 to CRAPPY paint jobs. Ive finished many sets of wheels using spray paint and masking tape, the problem is when you use flat black it looks terrible, it takes a lot of patience and a good gloss paint to make it look good. And it also depends on the car! Im not a fan of all blacks, theres gotta be some accent somewhere (in most cases) some rims look good all black, the trick to making a blackout rim look good on your car is your paint, if black is an accent (like any t-top car with tint and painted buckets) a black rim will probably look good.

People are tearin this up like theyve seen people run around with lime green rims.. granted ive seen a few...outlandish styles that look good, I saw a black iroc with pink accents and PINK rims.. it still looked sharp the problem is when lazy people take a crappy rim, finish it with a flat black and expect it to look good...not happening tape something off and stop being lazy

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

Originally Posted by JMR
and this is just stunning
Really?........... I mean; seriously?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dante93GTZ
Really?........... I mean; seriously?

I love it, It's classic, but yet still looks totally original on a 3rd gen. I love the touch of the yellow letter tires
Old 07-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by LBC_camaro91

Well thanks man the last car is mines.

I think it looks really good. 18 inch ZR1 9.5 275/40/18 i think it matches the car really nice. But hey you have ur own opinion.

I really never been into chrome rims, its just not me. But there are some really nice looking cars on this form with nice chrome wheels. I guess it all depends on the wheel and tire combo. But hey everyone is different i just wanted to go with a different look and let me tell you i have gotten so many comments on how good the wheels look and matches my car. I had bought these wheels already powdered glossy black. I have also painted other rims from a 85 grand national gnx and some zr1 rims glossy black with chrome lip with spray can and it came out really nice. I guess it just depends on how good of a job you do them. I took my time on them and sanded and water sanded them down, primer them, bake them, color sand them, and sprayed them with glossy black, bake them again, spray them again and color sand them with 1000 grid sand paper and hit them up with clear.

It all depends on how you do them. Just my .

-Mike
i never said they have to be all chrome, there is nothing wrong with black wheels, but they need some kind of other color to make them pop a little i guess. a polished lip at least. Just my opinion

nice car though, it looks really clean
Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Car: 91 Z28 / 04 GTO
Engine: GMPP 350 TPI / LS1
Transmission: WC T5 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.46

Black wheels with accented lips and center caps look great. The high color contrast really makes them stand out in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails What's the deal with black wheels?-p3270019.jpg  

Last edited by theNMBR27; 07-25-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 8.0:1 454/Mild Hyd roller/Accel DFI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: Stock 1992 open 7.5" 2.73 ratio

Just depends on where you're from and what you like. I for one grew up absolutely hating chrome. I worked on a lot of cars and every time somebody would roll in with some junky *** crome air cleaner and an edelbrock car and phat RIMS I would know it was a junky piece of turd and my work was cut out for me.

In a serious hot rod I like things that are subdued and don't reflect light at night if you catch my drift..... out here in the trees If you spend a ton of money making you car look good it usually (operative word here not always) means one of three things.
1. You've invested alot of money in it. Therefore will NEVER drive it hard, get it dirty or push the envelope.
2. You're a rich douche bag who is just gonna smash that car at some point showing it off.
3. Your car is absolutely stock and you don't know if its has a vortec engine or VTEC dawg.

I beat em up. I use em. Why put super clean chrome wheels on a car that require cleaning alot when you're likely to put the wheel into a curb one day? Those D ring cragars can be heated up with a torch and put back straight or for 50 bucks buy a new one!

It just depends on your goals with your car I guess.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 GS300 Sport Design
Engine: 3.0L 2JZGE
Transmission: 5-Speed Shiftable Automatic

Originally Posted by JMR
pointless thread....but will feed it
what is wrong with this car???

or this one

Whats wrong with my car? "Top Picture"

Tony.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
I hate black wheels. Even well done ones that look okay i think would look better in a diff color. I also hate chrome. There are good looking cars in this thread, but most ofthese cars with black wheels would look better with regular colored wheels, IMO. I got in an argument with a guy on this board a while back because he flat-blacked his 91-92 wheels... Ugh so ugly.

I love the Corvette competition gray color for wheels for the record.

The only car I've seen with black wheels that I thought, there's no way that car would look better with another color wheels, was compuwiz1937's car:

Gorgeous... I think it's the window tint and the black buckets... but it just looks perfect.

and here is iansane's 'bird vert with competition gray vette wheels:

What rims are those?

Tony.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Heres a pic when I had my Crager's on. 235/60/15

And thats how the rims came when purchased to me they look awsome thats my taste though.

Tony.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Thats awesome. I love those old D ring stamped wheels. Nice ride!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by The Devastator
Thats awesome. I love those old D ring stamped wheels. Nice ride!
Thanks bro.

Tony.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
i never said they have to be all chrome, there is nothing wrong with black wheels, but they need some kind of other color to make them pop a little i guess. a polished lip at least. Just my opinion

nice car though, it looks really clean
Well ill respect that and thanks by the way but in my opinion i think a polished lip makes the rim looks smaller then what it is. i never been a big fan of them but i guess it depends on the rims.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

im going to be doing mine black the hardest part was figuring out what to do with the center caps. when im all done ill post up the pics. and duplicolor offers a black chrome painting kit for wheels now too guys so if thats more up your alley..
Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56

Originally Posted by The Devastator
Just depends on where you're from and what you like. I for one grew up absolutely hating chrome. I worked on a lot of cars and every time somebody would roll in with some junky *** crome air cleaner and an edelbrock car and phat RIMS I would know it was a junky piece of turd and my work was cut out for me.

In a serious hot rod I like things that are subdued and don't reflect light at night if you catch my drift..... out here in the trees If you spend a ton of money making you car look good it usually (operative word here not always) means one of three things.
1. You've invested alot of money in it. Therefore will NEVER drive it hard, get it dirty or push the envelope.
2. You're a rich douche bag who is just gonna smash that car at some point showing it off.
3. Your car is absolutely stock and you don't know if its has a vortec engine or VTEC dawg.

I beat em up. I use em. Why put super clean chrome wheels on a car that require cleaning alot when you're likely to put the wheel into a curb one day? Those D ring cragars can be heated up with a torch and put back straight or for 50 bucks buy a new one!

It just depends on your goals with your car I guess.
I think there are many more types of hot rodders in this world than just 3 types even "in the trees"...where should these guys be "pushing the envelope" and "driving them hard"??? The streets?

Some people like to build cars to keep them clean, drive them for the stares/enjoyment and don't want to "beat em up". I agree to the extent that show/trailer queens that truly NEVER see the road is defeating the purpose, however, most guys like to drive them on the weekends and DON'T beat on them.

Dante93GTZ, I couldn't agree more. I am blown away sometimes.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Ok. for mine, here is the reason I chose black rims.

I hate the GOLD cross laces on my car. Black would be OK, but I liked it all black. also silver wheels do not match the "gold" badges or interior. I would prefer silver formula wheels, IF i had silver or black interior..
as far as a silver lip. same reason. it doesnt match the gold... and it makes the car look more black. I will be tinting out the windows and think it will be perfect.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by GodSpeedGTA
I think there are many more types of hot rodders in this world than just 3 types even "in the trees"...where should these guys be "pushing the envelope" and "driving them hard"??? The streets?
Most folks out there don't need to be pushing anything anywhere. I'm not suggesting they should.

Some people like to build cars to keep them clean, drive them for the stares/enjoyment and don't want to "beat em up". I agree to the extent that show/trailer queens that truly NEVER see the road is defeating the purpose, however, most guys like to drive them on the weekends and DON'T beat on them.
I know and I understand. I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with it. There's just people out there who absolutely don't care about aesthetics. And driving something like a camaro, vette, etc around leisurely when a honda or volkswagen would be better suited to the role never did anything for me. In my opinion (and I know how those are) there is no such thing as ugly or pretty. There is only what it can do. I guess I'm on the wrong board with that attitude though .
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 AM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc

i like blacked out wheels..

My Titan used to have satin black powdercoated 22's on it with a 2/5 drop and almost all the chrome on it was blacked out.. i like the look, others dont. Guess what... i drive it and enjoy it so others opinions dont really matter.

Name:  Picture012.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  Picture001-1.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  110.1 KB

I plan on having my ROH snypers powdercoated black after i get them widened and have the rest of the car complete. Depending on what color i paint the car is how much black i will do on the wheels. Looking at painting the car the color of a 2010 Toyota RAV4.. its a pretty nice grey/blue color.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Car: 92 trans am ws6
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 ls1 rear end posi

black rims are actually very nice idk why ppl hating..its just a color... but doing it wrong is not good looking
Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z/28 305

Originally Posted by DeathMetalTony

Heres a pic when I had my Crager's on. 235/60/15

And thats how the rims came when purchased to me they look awsome thats my taste though.

Tony.
That looks awesome. Can I ask what kind of wheels are those and where can I get them? Did you have any trouble with backspacing/offset?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

i could not agree more about the "cheap" painted black wheels looking like crap, not saying painting them cant be cheap, but some people just do not take the time to do it right, and it turns out nasty

anyway thought i would throw mine up, stock RS wheels, factory black, bought them because i wanted to paint mine black, then decided to keep mine as backups and buy these for $100
Attached Thumbnails What's the deal with black wheels?-black-wheels.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

those may be factory black, but the aluminum didn't shine like that from the factory. Somebody spend a long time making them look like that... impressive
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 58mark
those may be factory black, but the aluminum didn't shine like that from the factory. Somebody spend a long time making them look like that... impressive
i wish i would have takin a picture before i shined them up, yes i spent about 3 hours on each wheel, and im still not done with them, i have untill i finish my body work to get them as clean as i want them and mounted on my camaro

i believe the previous owner did have these wheels re painted, but he told me they were original color matched wheels off of his Camaro, the clear is starting to peel in places so i will be reshooting clear onto them
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

I see no point in shooting wheels with clear coat... why not a good single stage paint? tough as nails, it will shine, and you don't have to worry about the clear peeling.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Idk, i guess its just the way ive always done it, i have a ton of clear coat laying around from other projects and models i build so i just scuff and spray the clear rather than redoing all the black
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by stackofire
That looks awesome. Can I ask what kind of wheels are those and where can I get them? Did you have any trouble with backspacing/offset?
To be honest im not sure about the backspace. Cause the seller who I bought them from had them on a S10 so I knewed it was the same backspacing and for 50 bucks with all BF tires all around was a deal.

There made by Crager there a common steal wheel. I want to get some 15x10 for the back but they dont have a perfect backspacing for our cars so I heard they will stick out just a little.

Tony.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Caveman305
i could not agree more about the "cheap" painted black wheels looking like crap, not saying painting them cant be cheap, but some people just do not take the time to do it right, and it turns out nasty

anyway thought i would throw mine up, stock RS wheels, factory black, bought them because i wanted to paint mine black, then decided to keep mine as backups and buy these for $100
what do the centercaps look like? thats what ive seen most ppl do wrong on the setups...i think you just have black caps with a clear camaro emblem?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Ill be using the stock center caps off the wheels on my car now, just black with the "camaro" logo in the middle, ill change the color if i dont like having that much black on the wheel
Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

oh okay thats cool i already modded my caps but havnt done the wheels yet. they are going to go black but i have a couple other mods and repairs that i need to invest my time in first. so if this thread is dead by the time i get my wheels done i will have to revive it and show everyone what i have done. i almost bought some stock rs wheels like you have there a couple months back. they are cool for sure.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

well a little bit of a revival. I dont have them installed yet. But I ran across a newly set of powdercoated rs rims. never been mounted, never had tires mounted. got them for 80 dollars. I could not pass them up. since i was thinking about painting mine. I will have them mounted in the next week and post up pics. I was very lucky to find them for so cheap. I priced getting mine powdercoated and i was getting 100-120 per wheel. I'll revive the thread again in a week or so for some more constructive criticism
Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I had black rims on my old 'vette... I think it worked rather well:

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

the other day I was out with my 73 year old dad and he saw a car with blacked out wheel. He said "looks like somebody got their wheel covers stolen"

I had to explain to him that that was the desired look... he just shook his head in disgust... LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by 58mark
the other day I was out with my 73 year old dad and he saw a car with blacked out wheel. He said "looks like somebody got their wheel covers stolen"

I had to explain to him that that was the desired look... he just shook his head in disgust... LOL
Yeah that Vette looks disgusting!! wow. really??????
Rattle can jobs may look like that though.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Supreme Member

it had nothing to do with a quality of the wheel. to some people an all black wheel just looks wrong

Last edited by 58mark; 02-16-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Everyone has the right to put whatever they want to on their car. I won't say I'm a hater of black wheels, but they're not my thing personally. The totally black wheels look like 4 spares from a distance.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Car: '88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I'm 23 and I've never been a fan of black wheels. IMO you loose the design of the wheel. However, I believe that people should make their car look how they want.

My opinion shouldn't effect what your car looks like.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I do what I want. And since I spend so little. If I dont like it. I'll take them off. haha. i was hesitant to rattle can them but since I got powdercoated ones Im psyched.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Post up some pictures when you get a chance. I was going to get my RS wheels powdercoated but never got around to it. I'd love to see how it turns out.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

I will do sir for sure. the day they are installed! which will hopefully be by the end of next week
Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I got competition gray wheels on my camaro for street but contemplating swapping them out for black with polished lip. My drag wheels are black/polished lip and I kinda like it. I just bought black ZR1's with polished lip for my Red 99 Trans Am...I wouldnt have it any other way. It looks good. I think red cars and even white cars look best with black rims/polished lip.

I'm also getting into the black rims with body color matched lips...popular with the late model vette crowd and exotics in general. I'd like to try a black/red setup on my car to accent the suspension, brakes, interior and motor, but just not 100% sure how that looks
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 PM

Car: 1991 camaro vert
Engine: ls1 soon
Transmission: t56 soon
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt 4.10 soon!

yep stock black rims look stupid.. heres mine lol another cheap rattle can job that took me 4 hrs per wheel.. between sanding taping and painting.. keep in mind this was taken about a year later and was dirty as hell
Name:  DSCI0954.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  56.7 KB
Name:  DSCI0953.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  82.1 KB
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I am not a fan of those rims black kris. or partially black either. but the rs rims from 89 or whatever I like!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Name:  DSCN1500.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  56.4 KB

how about RS rims from an 89 that ARE mostly black?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

not bad. damn i wanna get mine on now so I can show yall!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Lots of 'em

If they aren't rattle canned black wheels, I like black wheels on most cars. I prefer that they be a gloss black wheel with a lip painted to match the car, or polished though.

Not painted to match the car or polished, but it has a time attack style stripe on the lip.

The best of all, a yellow C6 Z06 on black wheels.

And then I'm just biased. My Mustang on black 18" FR500 wheels with a polished lip.

I really want to paint the IROC black, and buy some black C5 Z06 wheels.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by UnderCover89TBI
not bad. damn i wanna get mine on now so I can show yall!
I can't wait to get mine mounted either

Quick Reply: What's the deal with black wheels?