Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

please help..rear brake..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:36 PM
grndmasnightmar

please help..rear brake..

well my rear caiper driver side was siezed and making some wierd creaking noise too when brakes were applied and there was some pressure on the pedal. i changed the caliper and now the brakes work but when i brake i was still getting this creak. when im at a full stop and i push the brakes a little more waiting at a stop sign it creaks. then when i accelerate i hear a click right off the line. so i looked on the caliperand saw a little allen screw on the caliper and messed with that and now when i drive my pads scrap once every revolution. What does that little allen screw do, and what should it be adjusted to? the springs on the collar well what effect does that have and where should those be adjusted to, should i slip them over on the first turn of the coil or tighter? and finally what does this creaksound like because its driving me nuts? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thankyou.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:04 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Hello grndmasnightmar,

How have you been doing? If the little allen screw is the one I have circled in this picture, it is called the Parking Brake Free Travel Adjuster Screw.
Attached Thumbnails please help..rear brake..-34.gif  
Old 05-03-2004, 12:19 AM
grndmasnightmar

yeah

Alright thanks trickster, that is the screw and what about the other questions any words of wisdom? and as far as that screw should i tighten it or loosen it? i have it so that when my brakes are all attached and im screwing in the allen screw it just touches the pressure lever thing on the collar...should it be tighter? and will adjusting this screw have an effect on brake travel or pad tightness/looseness, when not applying the ebrake?

Thanks Trickster!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:29 AM
TGO Supporter

Now do ya think I would really leave ya hanging? Here is the rest of that information for adjusting that parking brake free travel. Hope this gets you straight on it.
Attached Thumbnails please help..rear brake..-35.gif  
Old 05-03-2004, 12:30 AM
TGO Supporter

page 2
Attached Thumbnails please help..rear brake..-36.gif  
Old 05-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '88 Iroc, '91 RS, and a '70 RS
Engine: 5.7 TPI; 5.0 TBI; ZZ4/T56 on the ag
Transmission: A4, A4, slated to be a T56
Very good info here...lots of guys don't know about this little screw and how to use it. Thanks Trickster.

Ed
Old 05-03-2004, 09:07 PM
grndmasnightmar

Thankyou

Youre the man trickster ive found out my creaking crap , those butterfly clips on the pads were sticking out of the caliper inspection hole so i slliped them underneath so the caliper would hold pressure on them. the creak is now gone (is this the way there supposed to be?) anyway ill adjust that screw tommorrow thanks alot..
Old 05-04-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
I'll be doing a PBR upgrade at the end of the month. Free travel was one of the questions I had.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

JamesC
Old 05-04-2004, 04:05 PM
grndmasnightmar

??

just to make sure i did this right...on the pbrs are those butterfly clips on the brake pads supposed to be compressed in place by the back of the caliper by the inspection hole (dooes this sound clear to you guys) ..they are the only clips on the the brakes so i guess someone will understand what im talking about..originally mine were just sticking out of the inspection hole in the back with no pressure on them from the caliper, i suppose my creaking came from this....does this sound correct.....let me know if im not clear
Thankyou very much
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73
Another thing about these calipers is the e-brake plunger tends to get "gummed-up" and will remain engaged when the parking-brake is released. It happens in varying degrees and I had a Corvette come in once that was so bad it would hold it on a hill! The fix is easy, just disassemble the parking-brake assembly (retainer, springs, and plunger) clean everything and reassemble. You do not need to disassemble the hydraulic part to so this.