Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

nitrous help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitrous help please

i put a NOS super power shot nitrous kit on my stroker 383. i finallly got around to spraying it but i was drunk and only spraied it with me running 2000to2500 rpm. once i hit the button it would bog like hell. the plate and solinoids are straight, so i can't figure out the problem. the bottle is supposed to be full of NOS so i figured i will check it tommorow. it is bogging reallly bad and i have auto lite 104s. as far as i know plugs arent messed up and the fuel pressure on my carbed motor never drops below 6psi.
if anyone has any ideas on the problem please help me.

thanks,
Jon
Old 05-30-2004, 11:40 AM

weigh the bottle!!!!!!should be 24lbsfull

n/m
Old 05-30-2004, 01:40 PM

first off, probally not too smart trying to mess with the car while drunk Second, wiegh the bottle. I can't remember what it should weigh dry/wet. It should say on the bottle. Third, check the jets and make sure you did not put the jets in backwards...backwards meaning make sure that the fuel jet to teh fuel solenoid and the nitrous to the nitrous. Not visaversa!

Last edited by Raiden; 05-30-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Originally posted by Raiden
first off, probally not too smart trying to mess with the car while drunk
you should have just left it at that. It's probably a good thing that someone dumb enough to try something like that can't get it working right.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Don't rag on him because he was drunk...not the smartest thing but someone should still try to help him out.

Holley recomends that you do not spray until 3000rpm. I would take a test run and spray it at 3,000 and see if it still bogs. If so you either have the wrong nitrous jet or the wrong fuel jet installed. How much of a shot is it supposed to be?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
its just like we said on the local board before you posted it here.

you arnt getting nitrous. or if you are, its not being lit off.

dont hit the nitrous with the motor free reving. even a tap of the button with a 100 shot can easily make the motor overrev.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 PM

thanks for what ever anyone nice repleied with but for 83crossfire. this all reverts back to back parenting, didn't your mother ever tell you "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". you repley was useless, and the only thing it showed me is you are an Ahole. i don't appreciate being called dumb by someone who doesn't even know me. since your post was irrelevent to my question i would prefer that you don't repley to anymore topics i start.

later,
Jon
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Car: 1995 z28 Mystic Teal
Transmission: t-56
well it really isnt smart to try and spray nitrous when you are drunk, thats 10x worse then street racing in my book hell im 17 and i know to never drive drunk your not just F***ing with your own life but someone else's too
Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
This is a TECH board not a parenting class. He had a simple question about his nitrous system. If he never would have said he was drunk noone would have ripped on him.

I do not believe in drinking and driving at all. I don't drink... so I do not drive drunk. However my parents do it all the time and it scares the **** out of me but there is nothing I can do. Or anything you can do. So everyone forget about the drunken driving and try to help him out with his nitrous system.

People on this board talk about street racing all the time. I used to do it too. Now I realize how stupid I was. It is just about as stupid as drunken driving. If someone said their nitrous bogged their car down in a street race noone would have said anything about that. They would actually have tried to help the guy. People on this board break all kinds of laws...taking off cats, street racing, burnouts, all kinds of stuff. It just pisses me off that people would suddenly get worked up over this. It wasn't the smartest thing to do....or the safest but I am sure he knows that. Everyone needs to stop treating him like hes a child....

Last edited by 88Camaro350; 06-02-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
There is one significant difference… I don’t really care if it’s illegal, that is his problem. I don’t care to parent him, either someone has already failed at that or he has some inherent short circuit that prevents things from sinking in. I care that it’s an absurdly stupid thing to do and that when he does kill someone spraying, racing… while drunk, whether we like it or not, whether it’s right or not, his actions will be treated as representative of those of the rest of us.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Transmission: T56
88Camaro350, you are right this is a TECH board and him saying he was drunk has no technical content to it except its a pretty good indication of his car guy skills. Drinking and driving is bad enough. Spraying nitrous and trying to diagnose it is worse yet.

Good luck figuring it out. And dont do that drunk anymore. I sure hate people like you adding to the bad statistics that insurance companies look at when they determine rates on our vehicles.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Originally posted by formula89383
thanks for what ever anyone nice repleied with but for 83crossfire. this all reverts back to back parenting, didn't your mother ever tell you "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". you repley was useless, and the only thing it showed me is you are an Ahole.

later,
Jon
And what you've showed us is you're a selfish ***** who doesn't care about the safety of others, nor do you care about your car.

You're an idiot, nuff said
Old 06-03-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Guido
88Camaro350, you are right this is a TECH board and him saying he was drunk has no technical content to it except its a pretty good indication of his car guy skills. Drinking and driving is bad enough. Spraying nitrous and trying to diagnose it is worse yet.

Good luck figuring it out. And dont do that drunk anymore. I sure hate people like you adding to the bad statistics that insurance companies look at when they determine rates on our vehicles.
well said.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
i put a NOS super power shot nitrous kit on my stroker 383. i finallly got around to spraying it but i was drunk and only spraied it with me running 2000to2500 rpm. once i hit the button it would bog like hell. the plate and solinoids are straight, so i can't figure out the problem. the bottle is supposed to be full of NOS so i figured i will check it tommorow. it is bogging reallly bad and i have auto lite 104s. as far as i know plugs arent messed up and the fuel pressure on my carbed motor never drops below 6psi.
if anyone has any ideas on the problem please help me.

thanks,
Jon
You sure you weren’t hitting the NO2 bottle before the glass ones? Supposed to be full of NOS? WTF? You running r*ce? Full of NO2 or nitrous oxide. The problems are many. Where do you want me to start?

Originally posted by 88Camaro350
Don't rag on him because he was drunk...not the smartest thing but someone should still try to help him out….
Yes, we should instead applaud him in his never-ending quest to be stupid. I can’t even call it ignorant, he has to know better. Whoever wants to help him out has to go down there and hold his hand. He’s hitting the nitrous on the street, drunk.

thanks for what ever anyone nice repleied with but for 83crossfire. this all reverts back to back parenting, didn't your mother ever tell you "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". you repley was useless, and the only thing it showed me is you are an Ahole. i don't appreciate being called dumb by someone who doesn't even know me. since your post was irrelevent to my question i would prefer that you don't repley to anymore topics i start.

later,
Jon

Yep my Mother did tell me that. My Dad taught me to never mince words and also taught me quite a few other things. Sometimes that’s not nice, but sometimes not being nice may help someone. One thing he showed me is to protect myself. You are being a dumb-*** and acting like the typical ignorant redne*k hick. What the hell ever possessed you to try hitting a nitrous shot on a 383 on the street? You weren’t drinking, you were smoking an oolie. I don’t need to know you, your actions speak for themselves. In addition to that you show how good your judgment is by actually telling us that you were drunk performing this absurdity! No, that’s not dumb, it’s beyond dumb. These posts are as relevant as your stupid question, which no one can answer because you don’t even know what the hell is going on yourself. You impaired your mental capabilities and then did something stupid. Yea I can help with that, go get someone to bitch-slap you upside the head. YOU are the reason we pay outrageous prices for insurance nowadays. Good Lord if people like you stopped driving, I’d be paying $100/yr.! So as you can see I am trying to help as well as protect myself and family.

Originally posted by 88Camaro350
This is a TECH board not a parenting class. He had a simple question about his nitrous system. If he never would have said he was drunk noone would have ripped on him. …

People on this board talk about street racing all the time. I used to do it too. Now I realize how stupid I was. It is just about as stupid as drunken driving. If someone said their nitrous bogged their car down in a street race noone would have said anything about that. They would actually have tried to help the guy. People on this board break all kinds of laws...taking off cats, street racing, burnouts, all kinds of stuff. It just pisses me off that people would suddenly get worked up over this. It wasn't the smartest thing to do....or the safest but I am sure he knows that. Everyone needs to stop treating him like hes a child....
This sounds like a parental lecture itself no?

With regard to people not hitting him about the nitrous shot at 2K, yes they would, hitting the button at 2K is absolutely stupid. Someone would have bit. But his judgment is obviously impaired, as not only did he do this drunk, he came and told us. Fair game. With street racing, it’s something we have dealt with in the past, and really, is a very common thing. Even cops do it. Street racing is just controlled speeding. And why shouldn’t we get worked up over the drunk driving? You get worked up over your parents doing it.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Volvo V50 R Design
Engine: 2.0 turbo diesel
Transmission: 6 speed auto
Axle/Gears: yes, both
you sure there's gas in there, i believe for safety reasons, the bottles are shipped full of compressed air.....

Last edited by philoldsmobile; 06-03-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:43 PM

Like others said, your bottle is probably empty. Oh yeah, you're an idiot.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
Must've been empty or filled with Molson Ice

Oh, if you're going to rip on someone at least spell correctly
Old 06-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

If it's a wet kit, you may be bogging down because all you are spraying extra fuel into the engine and not spraying any nitrous into the engine, therefore you are just adding more fuel without revving the engine any more......

BTW, how do you NOT know if your nitrous bottle is full.....

As mentioned don't spray nitrous into a car that is in netrual or park and just revving it.....

As for the whole alcohol thing, Nitrous is not a toy, it needs to be handled very carefully when you are spraying it into an engine as large disasters can happen when used incorrectly and not safely.........Getting drunk and spraying nitrous into an engine and trying to tune it all while under the influence doesn't show the best judgement skills.....
Old 06-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Screw that, could you imagine him if he had had a nitrous sneeze.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:47 AM

Car: 1990 Firebird
Engine: 350 tbi
Transmission: 700R4
aside from the unbelvieable stupidity of driving drunk (with nos no less), thats all the more I'm going to get into that. if the nitros bottle is shipped full of compressed air (which I can't completely belive, I could belive either empty or nitrogen) if it was full of are though, could he have been spraying air insted of n2o? which would result in a lean condidtion couldn't it? could that also result in bogging and the other problems?
Old 06-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by red90bird
aside from the unbelvieable stupidity of driving drunk (with nos no less), thats all the more I'm going to get into that. if the nitros bottle is shipped full of compressed air (which I can't completely belive, I could belive either empty or nitrogen) if it was full of are though, could he have been spraying air insted of n2o? which would result in a lean condidtion couldn't it? could that also result in bogging and the other problems?
umm... nitrous contains more oxygen then air. thats why you add fuel when you spray nitrous.

if he was just spraying air, then no. he would be adding the amount of fuel needed to compensate for nitrous, but with regular air, thats too much fuel. so hes rich.

not to mention, spraying air does nothing. its like you blowing into a open desk drawer. you're not going to make any pressure by releasing compressed air into a open container.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:00 AM

well for everyone jumping on me heres an update. in the very first post i made i ment to say i finally got around to spray my car but i was drunk is i just sat in the garage while running the revs up to 3000rpm. i wasn't driving anywere. but sence then i have learned the nitrous solinoid was stuck closed, i took it apart, got it to work but now the bottle pressure pushes the valvle open on its own (turn on bottle and it will spray right throught the solinoid). so im just going to order a new one becuase im not going to mess with anything that is faulty when it comes to nitrous. Im sorry i called it NOS i ment to say n20 next time ill just say nitrous so there be any wasted posts made about my screw up and RED DEVIL won't have to call me ****.

RED DEVIL, look at my sig, i am hardly a ***** , for jumping to a conclusion like that you should get smacked in the face. you have no right to judge me, or call me stupid. i was working on my car while drinking in my garage, I never said i was hitting the nitrous on the street, im glad for you your parents taught you alot, but they should have told you not to butt in and not to jump to assumtions, you are the being a dumba*s and acting like a typical redn*ck hick, what the hell ever possesed you to jump my sh*t, and yeah i did smoke some pot too SO WHAT, i never asked you to know me, you show me by your actions that your a internet jock who acts hard online and talks crap becuase of his own ignorant assumtions, I should be "the someone" to b*tch-slap you for talking to me like your opinion matters, ive never gotten in a wreck but i did get 1 speeding ticket so don't blame your sh*tty rates on me it was all the guys to ever get a ticket before us, even before i was born, protect your family all you want but by me drinking cold beer in my HOT shop and opening the doors to run my parked car isn't going to kill them.
I hope i bled those sentences together (is that what you ment by mince words)
sorry about the length on that one.

p.s.yes the bottle is full of nitrous
Old 06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

No matter who jumped to conclusions, beer and nitrous dont mix.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
Originally posted by ljnowell
No matter who jumped to conclusions, beer and nitrous dont mix.
Unless you're a stoner and are at a Phish concert.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:36 AM

thanks for those who tried but it was just a job i had to figure out on my own. and to all the complainers and bashers. cry me a river. if you come into my shop and work on a car with it 95 plus degrees and you don't drink a cold beer with us, we would probably beat you for being a panzy.

men work in heat, men drink cold beer.
wine is for whiners and non beer drinkers

later,
Jon
Old 06-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You sprayed nitrous while the car wasn't under a load, and you drink while you work in your shop on other people's cars?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

RED DEVIL, look at my sig, i am hardly a ***** , for jumping to a conclusion like that you should get smacked in the face…
What does your sig show? Nothing that would dispel you being anything. And if you recall, I didn’t actually call you anything I said you acted like, or referred to a group of people, or just asked if you were running r*ce. You may want to take that remedial English class again.

you have no right to judge me, or call me stupid. i was working on my car while drinking in my garage, I never said i was hitting the nitrous on the street…
..not to butt in and not to jump to assumtions, you are the being a dumba*s and acting like a typical redn*ck hick, what the hell ever possesed you to jump my sh*t, and yeah i did smoke some pot too SO WHAT…
Oh I have every right in the world. Why wouldn’t I it’s a public forum. We have called out stupid people for years, you think we made a special exception for you? You asked us to help diagnose a problem, yet we have nothing solid to go on as you were drunk and stoned at the time the problem surfaced. Hell I’ve taken it too, but I’ve at least taken it like a man.

Do you know where some of your overhead goes in the shop? It’s called insurance. What would happen if anything were to go wrong while you were screwing around drunk and stoned? Insurance claim. Who gets the cost passed down to them? The consumer.

I apologize for not assuming you were even stupider than I thought. It never crossed my mind that you would try to hit the juice while on the juice smoking a blunt on an unloaded engine. Hey maybe next time you could accidentally hit the shifter as you’re passing the blunt and shift it into gear just as the nitrous is hitting. Sorry, I’ll keep a more open mind in the future.

Oh yea, an oolie isn’t weed, well not only weed.

… i never asked you to know me, you show me by your actions that your a internet jock who acts hard online and talks crap becuase of his own ignorant assumtions, I should be "the someone" to b*tch-slap you for talking to me like your opinion matters…
Oh, I see, you are a liberal ****. I can’t voice my opinion, and you want to bitch-slap me for holding an opinion contrary to yours. Go GORE!! Let me explain, in this great country we have the right to have any damn opinion we want and to make said opinion known. And as you can see above, I apologized for making the assumption that you weren’t as stupid as you are. I took the information given and made an educated assumption. So I was a little off, you did something stupider than I thought. Oh yea, the bitch slap was optional at your discretion, and I never threatened to attack you, as you are me. It was also to help you with your stupid, not your contrary opinions.

come into my shop and work on a car with it 95 plus degrees and you don't drink a cold beer with us, we would probably beat you for being a panzy.
So anyone who wouldn’t drink with you would be physically assaulted in your shop. This gets better and better…

That was actually a nice break from trying to think through people’s problems. Thanks for that. BTW can you give us the name of your shop so everyone else can know to avoid it?

Originally posted by 25THRSS
You sprayed nitrous while the car wasn't under a load, and you drink while you work in your shop on other people's cars?

And stoned, don’t forget stoned.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

nice. That's all I need to say. Nice.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80
i think some people really shouldnt be allowed to drive or work on cars much less give them the ability to purchase nitros for their cars...lmao
Old 06-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
Originally posted by thegeneral
i think some people really shouldnt be allowed to drive or work on cars much less give them the ability to purchase nitros for their cars...lmao
What he said.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:34 PM

OMG give it a rest everyone! OK, he's been F L A M E D to death! Now let's give him some positive words and direction!

1 please don't drink and drive it' makes our insurance go up for all of us honest 3rd gen owners
2 Dwi = kill inocent people and or harm others
3 nitrous. Make sure you have laughing gas in the bottle, the solenoids wired correctly, jet's put in the proper ratio's and the right jets in the proper solenoids
ect................
Old 06-07-2004, 01:38 AM

its my shop in my back yard you stupid POS.how am i libral because i asked you not to talk in this topic anymore. you can **** off. you are just some lame little cyber speck. you have done nothing to help this topic you just post your sh*t talking. go choke on a condom crumb.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:09 AM

Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350HO
Transmission: M4
Given he definatly could have clarified originally that he wasn't drivng while he was drinking. You all still jumped on his *** pretty hard.

How many of you can honestly say, you have never worked on your car at home and not had a few beers at the same time?

Now spraying nitrous with the car in neutral and the engine not under load was record stupid, I would definatly advise you read the instructions that came with the kit a few more times while your sober, retrace your steps, make sure everything is assembled right, and follow the steps outlined in the instructions to ensure proper installation. For example, Disconect and cap the nitrous line from the engine, but leave the fuel line connected (wet kit), then press the button, the engine should bog because of the addition of excess fuel to the engine. Then hook up your nitrous line.

Although this should all be outlined in your instructions that came with your N20 kit.

Do NOT spray nitrous at anything less than 3,000 rpm.

Do NOT spray nitrous at anything less than Wide Open Throttle(the gas pedal all the way to the floor).
Old 06-07-2004, 02:27 PM

my last aggrivated comment was directed at red devil.

Scottland, thanks for the reply. i checked all the wireing and everything was fine. my kit didn't come with instructions because i baught it used, but i know how to wire one up. the nitrous solenoid was stuck closed. now the spring in the solenoid isnt strong enough to hold the vavle closed when the bottle pressure hits it , and yes i checked all of this with it off of the car. so im just going to order new solenoids so i don't take any risks with the fuel solenoid screwing up too.

thanks helpers and FOAD haters

later,
Jon
Old 06-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

my last aggrivated comment was directed at red devil.

Scottland, thanks for the reply. i checked all the wireing and everything was fine. my kit didn't come with instructions because i baught it used, but i know how to wire one up. the nitrous solenoid was stuck closed. now the spring in the solenoid isnt strong enough to hold the vavle closed when the bottle pressure hits it , and yes i checked all of this with it off of the car. so im just going to order new solenoids so i don't take any risks with the fuel solenoid screwing up too.

thanks helpers and FOAD haters

later,
Jon

told ya you were getting fuel and no juice
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM

John,

I think you can get a rebuild kit for the solenoids, I never rebuilt mine, but I know you can rebuild them.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by IROCBlueZ28
John,

I think you can get a rebuild kit for the solenoids, I never rebuilt mine, but I know you can rebuild them.
my understanding is, you can only rebuild SOME. depending on brand/model.

then again, i havent had a problem with one yet.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80
this time dont hook it up drunk okay....
Old 06-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Sheesh, how come this guy isn't on probation or gotten banned yet? I got banned without warning for saying "screw you guys".

Anyway, buddy of mine said he was going to do a nitrous purge but he didn't have a purge solenoid. Ran the engine up to 3,500 and tapped the button a few times it was only a 250 shot though.