DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Dear Grumpy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 08:52 PM
kvu
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Grumpy

I feel like an *** asking this.I want to learn more about the code though.I can get the results I want tuning my maf.But I need to learn more.Could you help me understand the maf tables in the bua hak?Things like"TBL = gms/Sec * 11.1".In the tables I guess the gms/sec column is what I have been changing(using 6E/tc).What about the BIN column and why is it called counts using bin editors?VDC column is is maf voltage right?Then why does a scan tool read gr/sec not the voltage.Is the voltage converted straight to gr/sec straight to the aldl?There is also a #/hr column too,what is that?The last thing is the numbers (0,36,50,69,93,121,155,197,248)down the side of table 1 with "FCB" spaced before em.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Dear Grumpy

Originally posted by kvu
I feel like an *** asking this.I want to learn more about the code though.I can get the results I want tuning my maf.But I need to learn more.Could you help me understand the maf tables in the bua hak?Things like"TBL = gms/Sec * 11.1".In the tables I guess the gms/sec column is what I have been changing(using 6E/tc).What about the BIN column and why is it called counts using bin editors?VDC column is is maf voltage right?Then why does a scan tool read gr/sec not the voltage.Is the voltage converted straight to gr/sec straight to the aldl?There is also a #/hr column too,what is that?The last thing is the numbers (0,36,50,69,93,121,155,197,248)down the side of table 1 with "FCB" spaced before em.
I've read this several times, and I thought I'd just answered this, but I guess not.
Anyways,
Give me one clearly defined guestion at a time, and let me try to answer you that way.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:44 AM
kvu
Banned

I'm sorry about all the question at once.What does the "column" of values that has "BIN" at the top,in the maf tables stand for(do).I believe in binary editors it's called "counts".
Old 05-15-2002, 10:11 AM

Learning how to "change the code" is something i am interested in too. I went to ECMguy's web page, read teh how to section on hacknig, looked at an example of a hack. I could not make much out of it interms of applying it to burning a chip in TC or Winbin? For example, how to "hack" the code to make my one bar map sensor read two bars. I am sure there is a lot more to it that a simple change and this particular hack may not even be possible. Also, when you program the Pocket Programer and see all of the hex addresses when you verify, is the option EDIT where you can change the code? Where find info or an intro article? DIY-GM board?
Old 05-15-2002, 10:16 AM
kvu
Banned

look at the sticky post up north.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:36 AM

thanks! I just read it.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:34 AM
kvu
Banned

Sorry about the dear grumpy crap,just trying to get YOUR,cough,cough response.I guess this stuff is over my head.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Dear Grumpy

Originally posted by kvu
I'm not Grumpy, but I'll take a shot at this. In the formula, the "11.1" number changes for each MAF table. It should actually be "TBL - gms/Sec * 256 / Scalar". The Scalar is the table scalar value for each MAF table, in this case 23. No, I don't think you've been changing the gms/sec column, but TBL value (see below). I don't know why the BIN column is also called Counts, but I do know that the values are consecutive up through the 6 MAF tables. The exceptions to this are the last value of one table is the same as the first value of the next table. This means that the gms/second should also be the same or slightly higher going from one table to the next.

Yes, VDC is the MAF voltage. I think gms/second is more meaningful than the actual voltage, the same way that the coolant temperature would mean more than the resistance value that sensor is putting out. I think the ECM computes the airflow, which is then sent to (requested by?) the ALDL. I'm pretty sure the #/HR column is the amount of airflow, just in different units. I think this probably has to do with the fuel injectors being rated in #/HR also (although I think the computer uses another unit). The numbers on the left side are the TBL numbers. FCB stands for Fixed Constant Byte, IIRC. The way the airflow is calculated is gms/sec = TBL/256*scalar, which is where those values come into play. The TBL value is sort-of a calibrating number for relating the MAF voltage to the airflow. I think you're actually changing this value when you're modifying the MAF tables, at least that's how it works in GMEPro. It's all in how the definition file or .ecu file works. HTH...
Old 05-19-2002, 08:48 PM
kvu
Banned

So is the #/hr,bin,vdc and gr/sec columns all fixed constant bytes?I do think the gr/sec column is the column I've been changing,I think.Does the ecm take the fcb(s) and calculate air flow?I have more questions if anyone want's to help,I am using the bua hak.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by kvu
So is the #/hr,bin,vdc and gr/sec columns all fixed constant bytes?I do think the gr/sec column is the column I've been changing,I think.Does the ecm take the fcb(s) and calculate air flow?I have more questions if anyone want's to help,I am using the bua hak.
Nope, you're right, the gr/sec column is the one that gets changed, the rest are fixed. It uses the voltage to find the airflow like a look-up table, so X voltage = Y airflow.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:06 AM
kvu
Banned

Thanks for your help Greg.I seen that winbin uses vdc and gr.sec but I don't know why they do that.Tunercat has the counts vs gr/sec,don't understand that either.It seems to me that the maf tables use sensors to determine fuel requirements(not air mass like a sd system).Could the vdc be the tps?Does'nt alot of sensors run 5volts.I'm not saying your wrong but am trying to put a fresh spin on this.If the tps is not the vdc column then I have another idea.The maf tables looks at the counts for the digital maf and vdc for the analog maf.The column on the side of the tables could be load? vdc(TPS or maf)?+bin(maf)+injector contant=amount of fuel(Gr/sec?) .From looking at the bua hak the bin column might be for the digital maf though.Above the first maf table there is a conversion chart from counts to grams/second.So at least we know counts are grams/sec.But at this point My question is if the gr/sec(not BIN) column is fcb or not?Have you have checked the code before and after using a bin editor,to see if the gr/sec column is fcb?Im using the bua hak so we're on the same page here.Thats the mask I have been looking at(mine is 6E).But of course 6E is probaly the same.I have raised more questions but am starting to get it.I guess grumpy don't have much on this
Old 05-21-2002, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by kvu
Thanks for your help Greg.I seen that winbin uses vdc and gr.sec but I don't know why they do that.Tunercat has the counts vs gr/sec,don't understand that either.It seems to me that the maf tables use sensors to determine fuel requirements(not air mass like a sd system).Could the vdc be the tps?Does'nt alot of sensors run 5volts.I'm not saying your wrong but am trying to put a fresh spin on this.
Right, the MAF sensor calculates the actual airflow, but its accuracy depends on how good the calibration is. This is what is being changed when the MAF tables are changed. Both programs are changing the same thing, but the fixed part that's is being referenced is different (vdc vs. counts). Since these both relate to the same thing (grams/sec), it doesn't matter in the end. The vdc is the voltage output from the MAF, not the TPS. Both sensors do receive a 5-volt supply and return a voltage anywhere between 0 and 5 volts to let the computer know what the sensor is reading.

If the tps is not the vdc column then I have another idea.The maf tables looks at the counts for the digital maf and vdc for the analog maf.The column on the side of the tables could be load? vdc(TPS or maf)?+bin(maf)+injector contant=amount of fuel(Gr/sec?) .From looking at the bua hak the bin column might be for the digital maf though.Above the first maf table there is a conversion chart from counts to grams/second.So at least we know counts are grams/sec.
Since ours are analog MAF's, you're correct in saying that it uses the vdc to look up the airflow. The column on the left side of the table is just a calibrating number used in calculating the airflow (gms/sec = TBL/256*scalar). I don't know they have both gms/sec and #/hr of airflow in the hack, but I think just the gms/sec is used.

But at this point My question is if the gr/sec(not BIN) column is fcb or not?Have you have checked the code before and after using a bin editor,to see if the gr/sec column is fcb?Im using the bua hak so we're on the same page here.Thats the mask I have been looking at(mine is 6E).But of course 6E is probaly the same.I have raised more questions but am starting to get it.I guess grumpy don't have much on this
The gms/sec is definitely not a FCB since that is what gets changed (along with the TBL #, depending on which program you're using and how it's being calculated) to calibrate the MAF sensor's voltage readings. WinBin does change the actual gms/sec since I'm made changes using it to successfully correct the lean BLM condition at idle. HTH...
Old 05-22-2002, 01:53 PM
kvu
Banned

Is there a table that translates volts from temp sensor to coolant temp?There is a #/hr column in the bua hak.That is why I thought injector constant was part of the table.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by kvu
Is there a table that translates volts from temp sensor to coolant temp?There is a #/hr column in the bua hak.That is why I thought injector constant was part of the table.
I think there is a table further down the hack matching up temp sensor resistance with coolant temp. The injector constants are further up the hack from the MAF tables in an separate section.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:27 AM
kvu
Banned

I seen where the injector contant is in the code.I was taking about the #/hr column in the maf tables.Is that the injector contant and is it bieng used to help calculate airflow?
Old 05-31-2002, 01:18 PM
kvu
Banned

Thanks for your help greg but could you give me input on my last ??
Old 06-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by kvu
I seen where the injector contant is in the code.I was taking about the #/hr column in the maf tables.Is that the injector contant and is it bieng used to help calculate airflow?
I'm just catching up on the threads on this board since I've been a little busy lately. The #/hr column is the amount of airflow in #/hr. Don't know why it's there since the injector constants are converted to grams/second in the code from what I've seen.