DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Swapping from MAF to SD made EASIER...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 08:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Swapping from MAF to SD made EASIER...

One of the main "hold ups" for guys wanting to convert from MAF to SD is they don't want to hackup their wiring. They would like to remove the pins from the old MAF connector and re-insert it in the SD connector, but they don't know how.

Well, it is easier than you think. There is a "picking tool" that you can buy cheap that you just insert into the MAF connector and it releases the lock on the wire pin. You may have to "fiddle" a bit for the first few tries, but once you get the hang of it, you can remove those pins and re-wire it in less than 30 minutes...it's that easy.

If you have a small jewellers screwdriver, you can also pick the lock with a little practice. It's not quite as easy as with the GM "pick", but with a little practice, you can remove the pins in seconds also.

Also, if you buy the "pick", you may also get the "weather pack wire remover". This way you can resolder the "MAP Sensor" wire leads onto your MAF wires and then re-insert them in the MAP weather pack...then it will look just like it came from the factory.

To get the SD ECM Connectors, go to a local wrecking yard and ask to go look for the connectors in the cars themselves. Where I live, the local wrecking yards have no problem with this. I just look for V6 J and N bodies and look under the dash on the passenger side (similar to an F-body). You can tell you have the "right car" when you see the 3 ECM connectors with one being "green". Just cut 6-12" of the wire leads and take them home with you. Now you have wire leads to practice "picking" before attempt picking the wires on your 165 ECM connectors.

This way, if you destroy a wire or two, no big deal. If anything, you will quickly learn where the "lock" is on the wire. When you can remove the wires from the SD ECM connectors and re-insert them back and forth PERFECTLY..then you are ready to re-wire you MAF to SD connectors.

This will give you a perfect job and look like your car came with SD right from the factory.

PS: While you are at it, grab the MAP sensor from the car and cut the wire leads off also. This way you can practice with the "GM Weather Pack" tool removal so you re-solder the MAP wire leads to the MAF wires so it too looks like it came from the factory with SD.

Rewiring MAF to SD is a lot simpler than you think - especially if you get the GM "picks". I picked mine up at Lordco (an automotive shop in Canada), but you should be able to get it most automotive shops. Don't go to GM because either they won't sell them OR they want a fortune.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:22 PM
TGO Supporter

Is this the weatherpack pin removal tool?

Is this the tool you have?

I found it here: http://www.pitstopusa.com/IGNITIONTOOLS.asp

If so, are there any other tools I need. I've spent plenty of time messing with those stupid connectors and pulling pins. Is this a universal pin removal tool?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:25 PM
TGO Supporter

Oh yeah, you also said I need a "pick".
Old 08-23-2002, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the route I took and am happy I did. The adapter harness was a disaster for me. I think I had a short and burned up an ECM. I just labled all the exsisting wires with the current address and the new address for the 730 pins. This way I could go back if I had to fairly easily.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:20 PM

Some other ideas for the swap...

The pick for the GM ECM connector can be purchased at PepBoys in the states. Also, the picture in the second post which removes the terminals from the weather packs can also be purchased there....but if you are cheap like me and don't have a jewelers screwdriver, you can use a small stainless steel zip tie/wire tie/tie wrap. Also, you can duplicate the weather pack remover with a piece of brass tubing commonly sold at hobby shops near the RC airplanes.

But you are right. There is little/no need to hack the harness. After the first couple of unpinnings, it becomes easy as changing the fan on/off temps.

Another thought-Avery (the makers of blank shipping labels) makes wire labels also. They are non-adhesive and kind of neat. They come out of the package flat and you write on them with a fine-tip permanent marker. One you are done, you tear them apart and slip them over the wire. They are actually hollow so when you open them up, slip them on the wire, then use a heat gun. Shrink wrap labels. About the best way I found to label mine are to use 2 different color of pens. Slip the old wire location on first with one color, slip the new pin location on second in a different color, then heat them up. If you ever needed to go back and check your wires, it makes it a breeze. Searched their site for a P/N but couldn't find them. I will look some more.

Last edited by HighHopes85; 08-24-2002 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:12 AM

I did the same thing, only I used a jeweler's screwdriver. I still had to do a wiretap or two going from the '870 to the '730.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:42 AM

Does anyone know where I can find the GM Pick tool on the Internet? I've looked but can't seem to find it. All I can find is the tool shown above for the Weather Pack

Thanks
Old 09-27-2002, 06:51 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
If you have a 730 or other non-weather resistant ecm, just get one of those little screwdriver sets they sell at Radio Shack. The smallest of that set works excellent. And the others always come in handy and it's like $5 and right around the corner from anywhere.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any place on the internet you can find one of these picks? id like to order it off the internet since im currently sick and it show up before i get better since im stuck at home. (damned getting sick, it sucks)
Old 10-05-2002, 12:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Pep Boys or AutoZone should have that. My dad got a set of them in a HELP! package from PB.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73
gm uses Delphi sp? I will check the spelling at work I have my own
Old 11-30-2002, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73
http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...C03B4B+M36+ENG

try this site! it only shows one of the tools(remover) that we have but, it should still work for what you need.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping from MAF to SD made EASIER...-422fl.gif  
Old 12-02-2002, 10:57 AM

Car: 87 Iroc Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: T56
Im interested in making the swap from my stock setup with the MAF to the SD setup. I understand how to work on all the connectors and stuff thats not a problem. What I need help with is what do I all need to buy exacly, what ecm, sensors, connectors... ? If anyone here could help that would be great, thanks.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:02 PM

I also have a 87 MAF. Right now I'm debating on going to the 165 with the 808 code or just upgrading the 165 to a 730. Does anyone have any advice on the pros and cons of each. I am new to all this type of work and don't want to do something that no one else has done before.