DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

AE tunning for MAF $32b $6e

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AE tunning for MAF $32b $6e

lets cover the bascis. also from what ive seen the tables are additive IE they add together for the total ae pw change.

some terms ill be using

Cpw = current PW in use by the ecm
PW = pulse width
AE is accel enrcihment
AE PW is Accel Enrichment PW.

tables and there functions

LV8 delta.enrcih.factor vs delta lv8.

from what i gather its starts from a static LV8 reading. if the lv8 is 8 then it will keep lv8 as a delta. if the lv8 change IE increase due to increased airflow then it will use the factor as a divisor on BPW to add AE fueling.

bascially

lv8 change -------factor---------change in PW added to current pw
0--------------------0.10x Cpw x 0.10 + PW = AE PW
28------------------0.10x 2.0msec= .2 + 2.0= 2.2 new AE PW
128----------------0.20 x 2.0 = .4 + 2.0 = 2.4 see how that works ?

so in short the smaller the factor the less amplitude of chnage for AE mode to BPW as a adder to actuall current PW.

LV8 enrich factoc delta vs coolant temp.

bascially this will change how much additional AE id added due to cooler engine temps. same operating maranda as above.

Lv8 accel enrich decay rate vs collant temp.

this table simply cuts down on the amount of additional AE added per AE pulse event based on coolant temp. the colder the engine the longer the domain time needed to keep AE fuel in there. so if you lower these value it will hold the original AE values longer. giving you a longer AE PW.

# or NO. of accel enrich pulses vs coolant temp.

this table simply tells the ecm to go ahead and add 12,13,28 pulse of AE fuel for each injector PW event. so if you need a longer AE event to keep the engine happy add a few pulses.
this would be in the catch where the AE fueling is good but its just not long enough to keep the engine in its sweet spot till thing get going. IE youve hit the stall on the converter and now the engine is laying down a bit.

Accel enrich async fator vs coolant temp.

its just another way to reduce overall AE fueling based on collatn temp. the factor is really a slick divisor and works like so.

coolant temp------------factor---------affect
10----------------AE PW x factor= affect
20----------------2.0msec x 1.00 = 2.0msec
180 -------------2.0msec x 0.90 = 1.8msec

also from what ive seen the tables are additive IE they add together for the total ae pw change.

any questions ? now onto constants.

the are 2 to be adressed.

minumum delta TPS for accel enrich.

bascially if throttle is closed and you open it it will start the AE mode at 3.9% difference if it occurs in less then 12.5 msec. or something like that. im not to sure about the time domain.

minimum delta LV8 for accel enrich.

this work like the TPS but could come on going up a hill. being as all these Aceel enrich factors and multiplier are based on LV8 this table has alot more affect. however i strongly cuation against lowering this variable to much. if you hodl a steady pedal and drive up a small hill you could enter the AE mode. therby destroying your gas milage.

the same goes for the tps. set it to low it and itll be constantly entering the enrich mode if even for a millisecond thatll add up over time.

any questions comments additions ?

Last edited by funstick; 04-26-2003 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: AE tunning for MAF $32b $6e

Originally posted by funstick

any questions comments additions ?
How much actual AE tuning have you done with a 3rd Gen MAF system?.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
a Q for grumpy

How many posts have you made that werent smart assed and made any kind of sense?
Old 04-27-2003, 11:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Bruce, send an e-mail to funstick and have a bit of a chat with him. I think you will enjoy chatting with him.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Pablo
a Q for grumpy

How many posts have you made that werent smart assed and made any kind of sense?
I just asked a simple guestion,
you must get alot of exercise jumping to so many conclusions.
You and several other guys are just so touchy. How do you deal with life?.

To answer your guestion, none.

Now will you care to answer mine?.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

Congrats grumpy,for drawing attention from anothers thread.Nobody here need a guy with a chip on his shoulder.Is it possible to keep post from losing it's focus.Funstick,that's how the ball bounces,sux doesn't it?BUT the stuff about the coolant temp routines is great stuff.That explains alot to me,thanks.I will have some questions if this does'nt get locked.Funstick,I dont care if you have any experience in actual hands on tuning.What you have laid out here is great work.Maf tuners need stuff like this.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

whats the difference ?? this is how you use the ae tables.

answere to your question. enough to be proficient.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

They just happen to be delta LV8, and delta TPS.

Delta, as in there needs to be a difference, and those parameters can be set.
Even with the TPS AE 0% range set fairly high, I've never been able to engage AE in a steady state condition.

Just makes me wonder if someone how someone could get a delta change item to engage full time.

Even if it did or was able to be engaged, there is a decay rate on the AE.

If someone could explain how and what you could do to get full time AE, I'd be interested in hearing how.

BTW, I often use the 0 entries in the delta TPS and LV8 stuff, and can get fairly good mileage. And sometimes set the enable parameters to within a very small window.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

BTW, I often use the 0 entries in the delta TPS and LV8 stuff, and can get fairly good mileage. And sometimes set the enable parameters to within a very small window.
well on ocasion ive seen people witjh less then steady feet drive down the gas mileage by contatnly moving the pedale just a few centimeters to engage the AE. my old lady happesn to be one of them.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:39 AM

Re: Re: AE tunning for MAF $32b $6e

Originally posted by Grumpy
Old 04-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Banned

Engine: 2 mice and a cat
Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA
Bruce, send an e-mail to funstick and have a bit of a chat with him. I think you will enjoy chatting with him.
He'll never do that......he knows it all already, don't you know that? That is why anything anyone else says is quickly degraded and ruined for the rest of us....its just something we all learn to expect.......its sorta like mosquitos during the summer months, they are a pest, but if you want to be outside in the summer months you just learn to put up with them.

Funstick, very nice post.....its interesting to play with them. On my 350 I had to keep increasing the AE to get rid of the lean spike that was encountered each time I gave the gas a blip. Once I got that straightened out I then came to learn the next day while the car was cold, the part throttle tune was grossly overrich and the car would nearly shut off at the least increase in peddle. It was funny, you could make the engine completely sut out, until the temp reached about 160-165, then it was perfect. I looked at the tables and played with the AE vs Coolant and got the colder condition 165 and down straightened out.

I will be the first to admit I find your post nice mathmatical representations of what each table does. Keep up the good work. I for one will admit that I know how to get what I want out of these cars, but all too often I don't have the time to dig into the mathmatical reason why. I for one appreciate your time to bring it to the front and make it easily available.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: Re: AE tunning for MAF $32b $6e

Originally posted by madmax
Just on AE?.
Probably a thousand hours.
Chip wise just in AE without any other changes being done at the same time, probably 200 chips in my car, and probably close to that in other cars. And I've probably done twice that in MAP cars. I happen to consider AE, and PE important items.

How about you?.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by funstick
well on ocasion ive seen people witjh less then steady feet drive down the gas mileage by contatnly moving the pedale just a few centimeters to engage the AE. my old lady happesn to be one of them.
Care to share what the settings were that you used to be able to get that foot movement to trigger the AE, as you've outlined?.

I'd really like to see if I could do that.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Banned

??Calling him out again??
Old 04-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Care to share what the settings were that you used to be able to get that foot movement to trigger the AE, as you've outlined?.
stock enable settings. my old ladys is a on the gas off the gas driver. lots of people are. roll down your window and listen some time. just modulate the throttle alot. youll see it happen.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Supreme Member

I can't explain what he's seeing.
I can only explain what I've seen.

Run Mph Rpm KPa Tps CtsF MatF Spkf PW WB IAC PE AE PN
08:54 0 850 42 0 153 113 19.4 2.53 13.7 0 N N Y
08:54 0 825 42 0 154 113 21.1 2.53 13.7 0 N N Y
08:54 0 825 42 0 154 113 19.4 2.53 13.8 0 N N Y
08:54 0 850 42 0 154 113 18.3 2.53 13.8 0 N N Y

In my data logging I can see when I'm in AE, and PE.
Dunno where others get the data about when they're in what mode.

Like I said in the previous post I've never been able to see AE be sustained from hill.

I'm sure this will draw some snide remarks, too, but oh well.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

i think your misconstruing my statements ?? intentional ?? i doubt it. its possiable to keep engaging the mode. it will decay out. i wonder if i need to reread or amend the tunning overview?? how are you drawing the conclusion that ae is indefinate from the trunning outliune above??