Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Help adding aux input to uncommon stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help adding aux input to uncommon stereo.

Ok so I want to mod my head unit to add an aux in. I was going to use the tried and true cassette cable hack, but after opening it up the connector is different on this unit.

The radio is a Delco 16138181 with the blaupunkt cassette module with auto reverse and the search switch. It's one of the rarish 92 models so hacking it up and hoping for the best probably isn't the best plan of attack.

The cassette cable has 8 wires instead of 5.
On the stereo the wires to the cassette are red, black, blue, brown, yellow, red/white, black, orange, and white.

If I can get ahold of the pinout on the cassette I can probably figure out the rest. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Help adding aux input to uncommon stereo.

send 84TA a PM, he can assist you. He does this mod.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:51 PM

I contacted him, but I'm impatient, so I pulled out a Arduino cable to plug inbetween the cassette cables and this is what I found. On my stereo at least, the actuall cassette module and the head unit had different colors, so going by the cable coming off of the head unit: (in order)

White=Left Audio
Orange=Right Audio
Black=Cassette Ground? (playback is muted when disconnected)
Red/White Striped=?
Yellow=?
Brown=?
Blue=?
Black=?
Red=?

So I have enough to splice in audio and upon testing my mp3 player sounds nice and clear when a cassette is in to activate the audio cables.

I haven't had much luck switching the cassette lines on via the other wires though. It's either more complex a circuit than the older radios or I haven't found the right combination. I'm pretty sure that the red and black on the other end of the connector are 12v and another ground to power all the fancy stuff on the cassette module (lights, ect) but that's about as much as I've figured out.

It appears that the color coding is in line with the 5 wire cable on the older units, so I'll try those combinations next. I'm tired right now though.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:26 PM

Ok I figured it out early this morning. I'll have to consult with my notes again to confirm, but the first black is actually the cassette enable line, red/white striped is radio enable and yellow is the 12v.

I need to get out a multi-meter and confirm that 12v though.... this one seems to feel more like a ground.

So it works more or less like the older cassette hacks with some strange additions.

1. The audio lines seem to always be active... I can hear them with the radio playing if my mp3 player is still running. This isn't a problem though as most hacks would have the audio lines physically disconnected when not in aux mode.

2. I'm not sure what it's about, but sometimes after returning from aux mode the lights on the cassette module will turn on. I think this may be a grounding issue as I've been testing with bare wire twisted together.

So anyway I'll probably roll my version of the hack sometime tomorrow.

Is there somewhere in particular I should post it so others can use the info?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:29 PM

So I finished and it's working well. Is there any interest in this? I would be more than willing to post my info here as well as a guide to my particular approach to the hack, but not if I'm just wasting my time.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

I would post it now while the process is fresh in your memory. Since the radio is uncommon, by the time somebody decides to do this in the future you may have forgotten some of the details. It may also help somebody find their way to the site by performing a google search - always a good thing.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
I would post it now while the process is fresh in your memory. Since the radio is uncommon, by the time somebody decides to do this in the future you may have forgotten some of the details. It may also help somebody find their way to the site by performing a google search - always a good thing.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:42 PM

Ok cool. I might work on it later tonight, but I need to make some graphics as most of this stuff is impossible to take good pictures of.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 PM

Car: 1990 Iroc-z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by HowardC
Ok cool. I might work on it later tonight, but I need to make some graphics as most of this stuff is impossible to take good pictures of.
Any chance this was ever posted? Looking for info on adding aux input to this exact 16138181 radio.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 PM

hey everybody, i"m new to the forums. just figuring it out. i have an 82 berlinetta stock stereo without the cassette option, i'd like to put an aux in asap. can anybody help me out? i'm in canada, does anyone from my ends do this mod? i'm willing to ship my head unit.
hit me back.
thanks.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by 82'berlinetta
hey everybody, i"m new to the forums. just figuring it out. i have an 82 berlinetta stock stereo without the cassette option, i'd like to put an aux in asap. can anybody help me out? i'm in canada, does anyone from my ends do this mod? i'm willing to ship my head unit.
hit me back.
thanks.
@John in RI

Best bet... If anyone would know...
Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by 82'berlinetta
hit me back.
thanks.
John in RI does this mod. P/M him.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...aux-jacks.html