Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Is it possible for a car NOT to be capable of passing smog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 TA http://bit.ly/1EadkbO
Engine: 5.0 V8 LG4 BBL
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Is it possible for a car NOT to be capable of passing smog?

hey guys,

I have an 85 transam with 305 TBI 5.0 coming from WA to CA.

I'm worried it won't pass CA smog at all, I should have done more research before buying.

Do you think I'll be stuck with it or will I be able to modify it to pass smog? It is a rebuilt 305 with 10000 miles On it.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 PM

Re: Is it possible for a car NOT to be capable of passing smog?

Old trick that sometimes works jam some steel wool in tail pipe.thats if its not a real oil burner. Put a lot of steel wool in it. When you want it out just open it up on the highway that will blow it out. I don't know how they do it there but here they put a rod in it. That's what I did on some of my cars. But here if it 20 years old you don't need to do anything just get your tags lol
Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

TBI wasn't available in 85. Didn't appear until 87.

Are you sure?

I got transferred to CA some years ago. My 83 L69 Z28 managed it. So it CAN be done. Might take money, effort, scouring the Earth to find the pieces that somebody has taken off and thrown away over the years, etc.; but it can be done.

There's no "20 yr old" exemption in CA. Or any other kind.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4

Cali law states I believe is any car made after model year 76 must be smog tested. And regardless of make or model, they test your emissions based upon smog estimates when the vehicle was produced.

Also I'd make sure your engine is original to the car. May not be true but I've read on a couple hot rod forums that you can't pass smog with an engine swap to a different engine/diff year. Good luck! Here in Texas we have the 20 year exemption if you live in a big city
Old 04-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

IIRC.....

Cars made in 1974 and prior are the only ones exempt from smog inspection in CA (I'm talking gasoline engined passenger cars). However, I don't know if this applies to vehicles brought in from out of state.

To register a vehicle in California the vehicle must pass smog inspection. The vehicle needs to pass a visual (all counties) and a either a dyno/sniff test or sniff only test (depends on the county).

To pass visual all factory emissions equipment have to be present. I believe they do allow for differences in Federal vs. Californina emission equipped vehicles.

The dyno/sniff and sniff only tests measure HC, CO and NOx levels and the levels must be below a certain threshold.

Then there's the paperwork and paper trail you need to establish.

More current info here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1d.../vr/newvehicle

And here: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/

Edit: You shouldn't have any problems provided the rebuilt engine was not modified other than machining and installing stock-equivalent parts. Otherwise, you may have problems with the the sniff tests if a different cam, headers, LSx, etc. have been installed. If you don't pass you might be able to get it signed off at a referee station. But I think the sign off is only good for a limited time (2 years??).

FWIW, I registered an Acura Legend in CA that was originally from WA and had no issues doing so. However, the engine was original and the car stock and un-modified (still is).

Last edited by paulo57509; 04-05-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 AM

Thanks guys, I'm hoping it will make it through - I got the engine info and yes it's 4 bbl not TBI.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Long as it's all stock you will be just fine. 10,000 miles on the rebuild is perfect.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Yet another reason, I would never live in Cali...

My 84 with cammed 355 wouldn't pass Utah emissions (sniffer only). I spent maybe $1000 in parts trying to get it to pass and yes, I had all the emissions stuff on it. After 3 years of paying the fine for them to just pass it, kind of like California's referee station, here you have to pay the referee station a "fee" and then show them everything you've done to try and make it pass. It's now old enough not to worry about it as I finally hit the 30 year old threshold and no longer need emissions.

I think part of the problem might have been that no one here that I could find, really understood how to tune a Qjet. I can "rough tune" it, but have no idea how to fine tune it. Even on here there isn't a step by step...do this, then do this...type of guide for it.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 GTA
Transmission: T5

I don't live in California, but we have emissions testing here in Utah, and it is actually stricter than California in some ways(Our smog exemption for a car titled/plated as a standard passenger vehicle is 1967 and older). We do have a "vintage" status for cars 30 years or older, but technically you aren't supposed to be using them for daily use.

Anyway, as long as you have all the emissions equipment in place, and it is functional, on a fresh motor like yours, you shouldn't have any issue.
I have a feeling you may need to get the carb tuned, and possibly need to replace your 30 year old catalytic converter, but overall, you should be able to get it passed one way or another.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zane M
I don't live in California, but we have emissions testing here in Utah, and it is actually stricter than California in some ways(Our smog exemption for a car titled/plated as a standard passenger vehicle is 1967 and older). We do have a "vintage" status for cars 30 years or older, but technically you aren't supposed to be using them for daily use.

Anyway, as long as you have all the emissions equipment in place, and it is functional, on a fresh motor like yours, you shouldn't have any issue.
I have a feeling you may need to get the carb tuned, and possibly need to replace your 30 year old catalytic converter, but overall, you should be able to get it passed one way or another.
Just an update, the car arrived and it drives nice! Its really smooth and i'm glad i bought it. Of course here is the kicker, it has had the cat removed and the EGR is not connected and some other pipes are just not hooked up.

Guy at Smog says there was no point testing it until a mechanic fixed all of those things...

:-(

I'll post some pics.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by KNIGHTE
Just an update, the car arrived and it drives nice! Its really smooth and i'm glad i bought it. Of course here is the kicker, it has had the cat removed and the EGR is not connected and some other pipes are just not hooked up.

Guy at Smog says there was no point testing it until a mechanic fixed all of those things...

:-(

I'll post some pics.
The smog guy is correct. Most, if not all inspection stations will not perform the sniff test if the car doesn't first pass visuals.

I don't know where in CA you've relocated to, but just this weekend somebody was advertising on the radio a free "pre-test" smog event in Stockton. I wasn't paying too close attention to the details, but I do recall they did this last month as well. I think this is just a way of drumming up business for the sponsor; if you fail they "recommend" what services you need. I think there was a $500 repair voucher that went with the deal.

Nothing is free in CA. I'm sure I'm getting taxed to breath in some fashion.....
Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I also own an '85 Trans Am and am located in SoCal. Luckily my car had everything that it came with from the factory. I just had a universal cat installed last year. It cost me $175 and another $150 to have it installed. Here in California you can't just order a cat on-line. It must be purchased and installed by a certified smog repair station. I suppose muffler shops are also certified to do this work. The inspection station will look under your car and check to see if you have a serialized California Cat. Yeah, it gets ridiculous and frustrating. I also failed first time because my gas cap wouldn't hold pressure. The state inspection is very thorough so make sure you do a pre-test before getting the real thing. Let me know if you have any trouble figuring out where those hoses go as mine are all properly connected. Just my 2 cents; your mileage may vary.

Last edited by gearhead141; 04-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by gearhead141
I also own an '85 Trans Am and am located in SoCal. Luckily my car had everything that it came with from the factory. I just had a universal cat installed last year. It cost me $175 and another $150 to have it installed. Here in California you can't just order a cat on-line. It must be purchased and installed by a certified smog repair station. I suppose muffler shops are also certified to do this work. The inspection station will look under your car and check to see if you have a serialized California Cat. Yeah, it gets ridiculous and frustrating. I also failed first time because my gas cap wouldn't hold pressure. The state inspection is very thorough so make sure you do a pre-test before getting the real thing. Let me know if you have any trouble figuring out where those hoses go as mine are all properly connected. Just my 2 cents; your mileage may vary.
Hey Dude,

If you could PM me a link to your engine pic that would be awesome. Mine is a V8 5.0 LG4 i *think*
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 PM

I had a bad day today...

Took my car down to Morris Automotive in Santa Monica to take a look at it. I dropped it off and took an Uber home. Half way there they called me and said to come back for it.

Apparently there was just too much work to be done and they were a quick in and out shop.

It is missing basically ALL emissions equipment

Smog Pump gone
CAT gone
All hoses and pipes to connect them are gone
Air breather is non-OEM

I have a feeling this is going to be a nightmare.

On the bright side, I've taken some pics :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113572...7651501412197/
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM

Car: 1984 z28
Engine: 93 LT1 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 7.625" 28 spline 3.23

As least the computer is still hooked up and working.
Try the classified section here and pick up a complete air setup for the carbed lg4 and an air cleaner. Buy a 3" C.A.R.B approved cat. The misc vacuum valves and hoses are still available at rockauto.

It's gonna be a big hassle but that car isn't that bad. Hope its not your daily driver.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM

Car: 1990 iroc
Transmission: t-5

If you have all the smog equipment and it runs ok you should br fine. I swapped a 350 in my iroc nobody noticed it wasnt the original motor and it passed
Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by RamIt
As least the computer is still hooked up and working.
Try the classified section here and pick up a complete air setup for the carbed lg4 and an air cleaner. Buy a 3" C.A.R.B approved cat. The misc vacuum valves and hoses are still available at rockauto.

It's gonna be a big hassle but that car isn't that bad. Hope its not your daily driver.
Thanks for the encouragement dude, I've got an appointment on Thursday at a mechanics in LA who says he should be able to get the parts for it. I'll visit him also and see what he says..
Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 PM

Well.....

6 weeks later and its back from the mechanic...

Smog gear has been fitted except for one piece.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113572...7653054751539/

Still no check engine light operation and i don't think the ECM is working... but the car runs like a champ.

Originally Posted by KNIGHTE
Thanks for the encouragement dude, I've got an appointment on Thursday at a mechanics in LA who says he should be able to get the parts for it. I'll visit him also and see what he says..