Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

B&M Megashifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&M Megashifter

Anyone who has this shifter can u tell me how u like it and how it was to install? I'm thinking about getting it but wanna know how it is.
Thanx,
Mike
Old 09-03-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 349 Likes on 276 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Milford huh? ....my family lives in Shelton...my bro is currently working on my FIRST thirdgen!!!

As far as I know, most people aren't real happy with the B&M craftsmanship...kinda crappy from what I hear. Shifter cable seems to brake a lot, and yo have to cut your console a bit. Shift action seems to be good tough, and d-a-m-n it looks pretty SWEET!

Do a search and form your own opinion...I did.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:10 PM

i got mine in feb and put it in. i think it was fairly easy to install the hardest part was adjusting the cable. besides getting the cable right its fine. i like it and have had alot of people complament it. its pretty cool to shift the gears. im going to go with a full trans go shift kit so i can shift from what gear i want when i want. mine hasnt broke or anyting yet and i bang on it pretty hard. as far for cutting ur consule i think if u bought one off a manual i think it would work without cutting urs. if i had a chance to buy another one i would go with the hammer shifter. i was at the street rod nationals in york pa and b&m had a stand and i got to play with all there shifter and that one was the nicest one. id go for it though it a nice shifter
Old 09-03-2002, 10:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heres a good thread with pics..

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=127665

i would get one, but i dont think it fits my car , without alot of work.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:32 AM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
I'm gonna have to agree with Pokes, that most of the quality issues are related to the install. Especially the shifter cable. The instructions specify to loop the cable across the top of the tranny, in order to get the ends of the cable where they're supposed to be. I had one for 2 years, with no problems, and two months after the tranny overhaul, the cable broke. The transmission guys had just stuffed the cable up in to the tunnel, causing a severe bend that wore through the housing. Most of the problems with cables are caused by improper routing, not bad cables.

For an afternoon's work, it is a very satisfying addition to your vehicle. Most rookie or wannabe car guys will go "Holy crap! what kinda transmision do you have in that?" when they see it. I usually tell 'em it's a Lenco and watch their jaws drop.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I agree, too! So many people say it won't work with their trans, or it broke their trans, or they couldn't install it, or it's made cheaply, or etc.

BS! I put it in in '97, no problems. I even wired up the optional relay to control the car's idle speed (which was part of the factory shifter's park/neutral switch) without a problem. Cable routing, no problem. It is a pain to adjust the cable, but you do it once, do it good, do it twice or three times, and you never have to do it again. I think people try to rush things, or, maybe they don't read the instructions? TIP: When you unpack the shifter when you get it, get 10 ziplock baggies. Go through the instructions- when you need hardware (screws or e-clips or etc) for one of the steps, put those parts in a baggie, write the step # on the outside of the bag, and highlight the instructions. That way, when you're in the garage, you're not hunting for parts. If you need an e-clip on step #12, just grab the baggie marked "12".

So far, I replaced the shift cable last month (wore out, trans wouldn't go into park, I could barely move the cabe when it was off the car!) and the switch for the reverse lights in 2000. Not bad for installing the thing in '97.

Cable info: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=122029 and https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=126924
Old 09-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Mine is great, had it for over a1.5yrs now. I used the stock shifter cable too, and has held up great. Didn't even have to get under the car. Did require some minor fab work with brackets.

Don't armorol the boot and put some lock tite on the handle.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: FB385
Transmission: 700r4
Hey guys, i have one ready to install in my room. I was wondering if you have seen a carbon fiber look handle for the mega shifter? I thought i saw it in Jeggs once but i can not find it! I called up Jeggs and Summit and they can't seem to find it either. Any help, please?
Old 09-06-2002, 09:10 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
My installation had nothing to do with that shifter's shortcomings. The shifter is a poorly made pile of crap. Well, I should be more specific. The shifter mechanism itself is fantastic... it's their adaptation to the thirdgen platform that sucks. Read my reply in the other thread for more info.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:06 AM

mounting it to the floor did suck i didnt use them thread insert things and it pulled out but that was my mistake. i have a camaro performance book and they have a couple diffrent ones in there but it dont say what they are called they r made by hurst and b&m i dont think the was rachet shifter though. im still happy with mine. i also that it was a decent shifter for the price.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
The one I installed into my old 86 IROC for my brother looks awesome, works awesome and went in pretty easily. Only hiccup was when you ratcheted down gears the mechanism would hit the underside of the console a bit. I had to grind a bit off the the part that was hitting to get it to clear (with my dremel, pretty quick/easy). I don't know if my setup was freaky or what, haven't heard anyone else complain about that? Oh well, it's worked great for 6 months or so. And it looks awesome, he gets compliments on it all the time. Also much more fun to drive... I plan to get one for myself once I get some high $$$ stuff fixed on my 87 (paint and Pro-built tranny...).
Old 09-08-2002, 08:33 PM

ok i got the shifter and installed it this weekend. It wasnt very hard at all. the only part i had a tuff time on was getting the cable looped around how they tell u too in the directions but that was the only part that presented a challenge. and as for adjusting the cable all i d was make sure it was adjusted right in park and 1st gear because if u think about it adjusting it in every gear just throws it off from the previous gear u adjusted it for. It works great and shifts perfectly. I am very happy with it so far.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:36 PM

i adjusted mine like that to but i had to do it a couple times i think it streched so i had to do it a couple but i got it fine now