Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

E3 Sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD
Re: E3 Sparkplugs

i know E3 made a difference in my riding lawn mower, went from new champions to new E3's, its didnt bog as bad in tall grass, and i got a good amount farther in my yard before needing gas again, i know i will be getting them for the camaro on the next tune up, also had 2 freinds put them in their mowers and noticed a difference...... if they work in better in a lawn mower than standard plugs than im sure they will do better in a V8....... jusy never get boushs LOL

HPTV seen a difference also on their dyno, they cost the same as AC Delco Rapid fires, so like i said im going to put them in next time around
Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro z28
Engine: L69 H.O
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by TexasSilhouette
A set of these in the engine, one in the trunk, a half dozen fuel line magnets, one of those air cleaner swirly thingies and I oughta get 20-30 HP and an additional 10MPG. Rock on! Oh yea, can't forget the classic immeasurable "better throttle response". I'll be in the 10's for sure..
LoL
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 AM

Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

i put e3's in my truck and couldn't tell a difference from autolites, but i had new thick red wires, royal purple oil change (that's a noticable increase in torque), and new e3's. it made me feel really good to think i had high quality parts that claim i'll save gas and go fast.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

i wouldnt expect a seat of the pants gain in HP, but i would guess a slightly lower ET and a slight MPG gain...

but like i said before, it made a diff in how much gas i use cutting my yard, and it bog as much with the E3 in the lawn mower

someone that does alot of highway driving my notice the MPG increse better as thats a more controled driving situation
Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z
i wouldnt expect a seat of the pants gain in HP, but i would guess a slightly lower ET and a slight MPG gain...

but like i said before, it made a diff in how much gas i use cutting my yard, and it bog as much with the E3 in the lawn mower

someone that does alot of highway driving my notice the MPG increse better as thats a more controled driving situation
You will notice a seat of the pants difference before you notice a change in ET/trap speed related to performance.

Like has been said all along, these offer nothing that will substantiate the claims, nor the price. A good NGK plug is all you need and costs less than 20 bucks for a set of 8.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Carb
Transmission: T5

the theory how they work is good, i run NGK V-Power's and cut the Grnd strap so it ends at the edge of the eleotrode and i gap it there, that works real good so there is no shielding of the spark.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Car: '86 Firebird/ '07 V-Star Midnight
Engine: V8 transplanted by po/1100cc v-twin
Axle/Gears: i'll be looking

I have to agree with 91_rs, but you must remember...due to varying factors, (for example, how stubborn a driver is, or how heavy one's foot feels on a particular day) that there so many variables in the theorys, opinions, different cars with different mods, driving styles, and who can forget those convincing manufacturers claims that only one rule about spark plugs is set in stone. That said, here is my opinion
Do I have anything to back up my opinion? Of course I do...I tried it in my bike, and it feels like i can grab a gear quicker coming out of a turn. That tells me i gained a noticeable amount of midrange torque. (even if it is slight) but remember that's my opinion and take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z
Def worth looking into, but as for multiple electrodes, thats crap. If you know anything about electricity, you know it takes the path of least resistance. That means it will always jump to the closest one, even if you have a 50 electrode spark plug.
What if the closest one is covered in black carbon deposits and the others aren't?

Originally Posted by BlckSunshineZ28
They said they have been misfiring alot and customers have been coming in and returning them. So i went with boschs.
Someone probably dropped a box of NGK plugs during shipping. Cracks in the ceramic do horrible things to spark plugs. I'm amazed that any spark plugs that go through a warehouse come out all right. (I worked a year of warehousing, and three months at a Checker Auto.)

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
these offer nothing that will substantiate the claims, nor the price.
They supposedly are lifetime plugs, and can't foul. Supposedly. I wouldn't run them in my Camaro, but if I had a little Honduh, I would in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by Cgroh89
Ill give it two -three tanks and see how they do Then maybe Ill do a tornado next
Don't try the Tornado. Save the $59.99. Why do you buy larger throttle bodies? Why do you buy larger runners? Why do you buy intakes with larger ports? Why do you buy heads that flow better? Power.

Now, if people spend days polishing and porting to get the best airflow, why in the General's name would you ever put a giant hunk of aluminum smack dab in the middle of your intake duct? It blocks airflow, and kills gas mileage and power. It's a fact. I refused to tell people we carried them at Checker. Even if they asked.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Carb
Transmission: T5

agree with ROCKABILL its all a matter of trail and error. If you find something that "feels" like it runs better, keep it

Originally Posted by TheScaryOne
What if the closest one is covered in black carbon deposits and the others aren't?
Then its going to the next closest.

I feel these plugs cover the spark. They dont 'project the spark'. All the spark does is go from the electrode to the strap, they havent found a way to shot a spark into the A/F mixture.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockabillyruss
I have to agree with 91_rs, but you must remember...due to varying factors, (for example, how stubborn a driver is, or how heavy one's foot feels on a particular day) that there so many variables in the theorys, opinions, different cars with different mods, driving styles, and who can forget those convincing manufacturers claims that only one rule about spark plugs is set in stone. That said, here is my opinion
Do I have anything to back up my opinion? Of course I do...I tried it in my bike, and it feels like i can grab a gear quicker coming out of a turn. That tells me i gained a noticeable amount of midrange torque. (even if it is slight) but remember that's my opinion and take it for what it's worth.
Make sense to me. There's alot of several factors that might work for each one of us.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy

Sorry to bring this back from the dead I repo'd My Subaru from my sister and its in bad shape of course gave it to her running perfect. I did put the E3 spark plugs in it when I gave it to her a year ago and just did a little digging to bring this post back up to see if anyone noticed any difference I dident.

Now as stated I put these in the Subaru its a 94 AWD Impreza 1.8L running fine just wanted to see if they would help the milage. I also added a K&N filter at the same time. I noticed no MPG difference even with the dual combo of K&N and E3 plugs also the plug wires were only 2 months old at the time and the old plugs and paper filter were 2 months old as well. So basicly I took a car in good running order and added $100.00 worth of parts to it for no increase in power or fuel economy. Now I did own an auto repair shop before we all got poor and I had to find a job with a steady paycheck. So I do have some nice tools most people dont have like a real spark plug cleaner/tester. Sure the thing is 30+ years old but works great. I did test the E3 plugs in it. I did it with the subaru plugs as well as the E3 for the lawn mower. The lawn mover has more of a splitfire design with a V single electrode the E3's for the automobile engine are towered 3 ground III into a V. Hard to describe it you have seen them in person. Now both plugs tested great and the lawnmower plug did fire in the diamond shape just as the package stated it would. The car plugs were a little different they did fire in a diamond sometimes but were more prone to just spark across the V under pressure which is fine. Now the tester I have uses air pressure to simulate cobustion pressure. The E3's did perform well, actually better then the NGK's as stated above under pressure but to be honest I would not buy these for anything other then a lawn mower since the small engine plugs have a lifetime warrenty at least they did at the time I purchased them. I also got a Set of E3's for my 83 FXDG Harley but its not fair to even rate them in a shovel head since they are soo prone to fouling plugs even with a correclty jetted brand new S&S carb that I paid to have the best bike mechanic in town install and jet for me. lol.. My take is they are a good plug and work well but they probably wont do much for a engine under 100% VE whcih is basicly like a NASCAR engine builder saying they gained 3 HP by shaving a bump off an oil drain path to decrease restriction to allow oil to flow .001 faster then normal therfore reducing friction in the rotating assembley freeing up some power.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1

This is slightly off topic,
but to restore plugs that have been wet fouled with fuel - after cleaning them you have to cook the tips for about 2 minutes each with a propane torch to get the fuel out of the porcelin.

A friend of mine solved the shovel-head fouling by stuffing a cone shaped piece of stainless screen into the intake tube between the carb and the head. The idle is also much smoother especially after a cold start or in winter.

Back on topic - I think the information on this link from a previous post is at least 95% sound.

http://performanceunlimited.com/illu...parkplugs.html

I have done a ton of sparkplug testing myself and yes there are small differences in performance given different configurations of heat range, materials, and gap. The plug configuration needs to match the requirements of the particular engine and tune.

That said, these E3 plugs are very unlikely to outperform another plug that has been properly selected for the given application.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350tpi,HSR, underdrive pulley,tbfb
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

I work for VW and have seen several VDubs develope missfires due to the E3 plugs.In general I feel that you should stick to oe plugs, ie AC delcos in our f-bodies. When I work for independant shops(12yrs) I saw a fair amount of misfires problems when not using the correct OE plugs. I'ld spend the money on a high output coil. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS

now lets talk about the new pulstar plugs, they arent spark plugs, they are pulse plugs!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

How much variance do you think there is from one dyno pull to the next with the exact same setup? I wouldn't be surprised the least bit to see 3-4 hp from one pull to the next without swapping plugs.

Was this an engine dyno test or a chassis dyno test? Either way their are a tons of variables that are nearly impossible to recreate pull after pull without a very scientific approach.

I sh*t 3-4HP difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1979 Malibu
Engine: Blown LSx
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 9"/wavetrac/35's/3.70

Originally Posted by Gregg85IROC
i've heard a lot about them
i watched the episode on them on horsepowertv.com
3-4 hp and some better fuel economy is definately worth the $50
what they fail to mention if the other plugs were also new, if they just replaced old plugs, then i could see 3-4 hp, they are just another gimmick plug
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Car: Camaros and Suburbans
Engine: V8's

What's a spark plug, and where do u put them?

...sorry i just couldn't help myself, i should have been asleep hours ago...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy

Hmm thats interesting about the screen with the shovel engine I wish I could try it but my oil pump took a crap so I ened up selling the bike and broke down an went Metric. Cant beat a new 1100 V-Star Silverado for $129 a month except with the V-Rod that the local harley shop ened up repo'n for the same price Im paying for the Vstar, ahh but a good deal will always show up after the fact.. lol The harley was just costing too much to keep running and the 4 speed didnt care for much over 60mph and of course all my inlaws have new harleys and like to go for long rides at highway speeds, the poor old bike just wasnet up for the task. The previous 2 owners werent kind to it, kinda stupid since it was a Willie G, FXDG and only 500 were made.

HP TV is kinda BS they only do Dyno pulls after a few mods are done. Plugs wires cap rotor oil change air relocation kit and now lets toss her up on the chassis dyno for a run. Just changing the oil from broke down oil to new oil can show a 4hp gain, going from 20+ year old wires, cap and rotor to new parts can show a 10hp gain even more then that depending on the condition of the old parts. Also when they did the cheap camaro on HPTV they tossed a new in a new IGN module IIRC. I think they gained like 11hp and 2 MPG difference. I would hope so after spendng $500+ on mods.

The Pulsar Plugs actually look kinda interesting at least if they work. Combined with a MSD box I bet they would have some killer spark but the downside would probably be the plugs would be too hot so one would have to kick back the base timing or run a colder plug to avoid detonation.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

i don't believe the hype. I believe you put whatever OEM plug was in there. Chevy's acdelco, fords motorcraft, chrysler champion. foreign ngk or denso. european bosch.