Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Jeg's will rip you one..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeg's will rip you one..

They are ripping you off with their free shipping. For every box that gets shipped they stick me for $2.....If the they use the aftermarket company's box and only put their lable on there , that's another $2. I was out $8 on one order plus the $9 handling fee's... They said it's a fuel surcharge... I'm sticking with Summit...Summit sent me a $20 gift cert. after only spending $200 with them.......I asked Jeg's about their rewards and they told me I could purchase a gift cert. for $20....Screw them
Old 05-30-2003, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700R4
true.. i like summit more then jegs.. i just hate how summt does their "shipping" FREE shipping.. but $8 for "handleing" im sorry. but it aint worth no $8 for soem retarded 16 year old to walk to the section and put what u bought into a box.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FUGK Jegs!!!

well for the most part 8 bucks aint bad for those huge parts.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
i rather do business with jegs. they have been cheaper than summitt and i only pay handling where summit boned me on shipping and handling.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:33 AM

Car: '89 RS Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
I've used both, numerous times, and for me, Jeg's was easier to do business with. Every order I placed was shipped right away. My Summit orders all took about a week before they went out. I don't remember what the S&H charges for either one were, but I don't think they were anything much to complain about.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use both summit and Jegs. They both carry some parts that the other doesn't so I take advantage of that. Like Jegs carries Auburn Diffs, but summit doesn't. I ordered a set of heads from summit that weighed 56 lbs a piece and the shipping was free. That would have been a pretty damn expensive shipping charge. They both have there advantages and dis-advantages.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I ordered a timing set and some -6an fittings wednesday morning from Jegs and they came friday morning.
Package/Handling was $8.99, but shipping it would have cost the same or more.
I don't have a $2.00/box charge on my invoice.
I've been ordering from them for 3 years now, I am happy with thier service.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:53 AM
TGO Supporter

jegs is ok with me also.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:07 PM

I can't say enough good things about Jeg's. The one time they messed up my order (sent a torque converter for a SBC instead of a Pontiac V8) they apologized profusely and sent hats and some other stuff with the correct part.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:55 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: D1SC Procharged 350
Transmission: D&D Performance built T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12-bolt 3.90
I order from both of them but I prefer Summit by far...I have had a bad experience from just about every order from Jegs...Totally smashed box when I ordered a shifter from them(Don't say the shipping company did it because the shifter box was inside another box that was in perfect shape, and not only that, the box was faded.) I also ordered an afpr, gauge, and a Superram intake from them all at once...afpr and gauge got there on time, but they failied to tell me at the time of order that the intake was on backorder...this set me back getting my car running a week, when all they had to do was tell me when I ordered it that it was on backorder...woulda saved me alot of time. But all companies make mistakes, so I still will order from them, I just look to Summit first.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:09 PM

Well, If they're gonna claim "free shipping" then they shouldn't stick me with anything else... My packages were not large...The salesman should at least have the ***** to tell me " By the way,we got a bulll**** add-on charge for ********* in Ky" Yeah, if Summit would carry it all I wouldn't mess with Jegs

Last edited by RICHRAD; 06-01-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:03 PM

Car: 1992
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: T-56
I've never gotten that 2-dollar-a-box charge. What parts did you buy??
Old 06-29-2003, 01:59 AM
Supreme Member

I have spent thousands of dollars with Jegs and never got pegged with the so called 2$ per box charge. Only thing I have ever paid was the 9$ handling charge.

Further investigation shows:

Handling Charge

A $8.99 handling charge will be added to each order.

Shipping Charges and Freight Policy

Freight is pre-paid on most items delivered in the continental US.
Shipping is Pre-Paid on most items shipped ground (except where noted -- see below) in the continental USA. A delivery area surcharge of $1.80 is applied to each ground package delivered to residences in certain outlying zip codes as determined by the fright carrier.

Jegs sales reps are much more professional, informed, and curtious over the phone. I only order from Summit if Jegs doesnt have the part I need. Both times this year that I had to order from Summit they ****ed up, not to mention the fact they are pretty pushy and short with answers over the phone. Scoggin Dickey is the bottom feeder of all catalog companies, those guys are total fools, I hated the fact that I had to pay them 400$ for my intake.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:24 AM

Car: 89 TTA, G8 ST, 57 Chev & 77 Bird
Engine: 3.8 Turbo
Transmission: Auto
Your Lucky..

Hey guys.. stop bitch'n.. your LUCKY to have the great services of Two pretty good companies there.. pitty they make it a bit hazzy about the small print on Handling V's Freight.. but thats they way they do it.. Just Like GMPARTSDIRECT.. good service but wack you rediculously on EACH item.. so unless your a total retard.. sooner or later its not worth the small margin... especially if something has to go back..

.. Your Lucky to live in the USA.. well.. when it comes to "Free Frieght" anyway.. If you happen to live outside the USA.. many companies.. including but not limited to Summit ( who have been excellent suppliers) ...Charge US$25 just to complete a Customs Decaration for exporting something.. .. ie.. 3 copies of a computorized invoice stuck to the pack.. US$25.. GREAT VALUE... especially if the part you want costs US$20.. then the shipping is US$40... No freebies there.. We do the customs docs every day now.. never charge.... buggered if we would ever charge.. its Some companies I think are like banks and their fees.. which happen to also suck "universally"...

Old 06-29-2003, 03:31 AM

Car: 98 Trans Am 85 Trans Am
Engine: LS1 Lg4
Transmission: 4L60E 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 2.73
Originally posted by RICHRAD
Well, If they're gonna claim "free shipping" then they shouldn't stick me with anything else... My packages were not large...The salesman should at least have the ***** to tell me " By the way,we got a bulll**** add-on charge for ********* in Ky" Yeah, if Summit would carry it all I wouldn't mess with Jegs
It is probably because you live in the middle of nowhere Jegs has been good to me and summit is nuts on their price and most of the time they want shipping to plus half the stuff in their catalog or website you have to call them for a price.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

My brother and I have spent alot of money in both places, I have found that jegs has better prices, but they mess up more than summit.

As for the Summit Handling charge, I just order as much as I can per order. I know it, and accept it.

Plus, Summit ships everything the same day, as long as you order before 5pm.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
after several bad experiances with jegs, i do the following...

browse their catalog and if theres somthing i want....

i give the part number to summit. i have never had a prob with summit. heck, one time i ordered a adjustable starter for my camaro, but i wouldnt clear the headers...

i shipped the starter back to them, and they sent me a mini starter worth $40 more for no additional cost, i just had to pay to send the old one back ( sent it free on the company account. lmao)

summit RULES.... Jegs needs to work on their customer relations a bit to me... for every one person who bitches about summit ( i have yet to meet one) theres 7 bitching about jegs... there has to be a reason behind that...............
Old 06-30-2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by biff85ta
It is probably because you live in the middle of nowhere Jegs has been good to me and summit is nuts on their price and most of the time they want shipping to plus half the stuff in their catalog or website you have to call them for a price.
Just 8 miles south of the 3rd largest town in Ky....That's why Jeg's suck
Old 06-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 05' GTO
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: A4
i have had no problems with either jegs or summit ever, the only time i had to return something was becuz i screwed up and ordered the wrong part and thats it. other then that there both great places to shop from.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
i've never ordered from jeg's.

i live an hour from summit's store in ohio. i call a rep i know, order the parts so he gets his commission, and i drive to pick them up. it gives me an opportunity to look over the clearance rack, and ask any questions that come to mind.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:52 PM

Car: '05 Pontiac G6
Engine: 3.5
Axle/Gears: Slow lol.
My experience with both was good, except once with Jegs. Ordered a set of shorty headers, shipping was fast, but the price somehow went up about 10 bucks between Jegs and my work. But, I didn't worry about it really, called em up, asked about it, 2 days later got some free stuff. Summit was great on my last rebuild. Ordered a rebuild kit for a 350 on a Friday, got it on Monday, engine was build and on it's way to break in by Tuesday night.

But, I think next time I order from either one, I'll be going there and pick the stuff up myself since I'm only an hour from Jegs and about 3-4 from Summit. About the only thing I like about living in Ohio, lol.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:26 AM

Car: 98 Trans Am 85 Trans Am
Engine: LS1 Lg4
Transmission: 4L60E 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 2.73
Originally posted by RICHRAD
Just 8 miles south of the 3rd largest town in Ky....That's why Jeg's suck
What is the 3rd largest town in KY? Just wondering,
Old 07-04-2003, 01:30 AM

Car: '05 Pontiac G6
Engine: 3.5
Axle/Gears: Slow lol.
It sounds to me like an issue with the shipping company, not totally Jegs since they do mention the charge in the catalog. But it would have helped to know the shippers range I guess so you know if you'll get hit with that charge. So it can be partly Jegs too, sorta, lol.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
Nice things about JEGS is that it's super easy to use Online tracking from there website.... All you have to do is put in your phone number and your last name and they give you all orders from acouple months back. There's a hyperlink that takes you directly to another box that shows where the Package is.

Another nice thing I find there catalog is easier to use than Summit sure it doesn't have near as much tech. info on it but I don't have worry about manufacter's names... summit uses 3 letter names for there items Jegs just uses 3 numbers. I find the numbers are easier to use.

The tech support from JEGS really sucks though (I spend 20 minutes on phone once trying to see if they had gears for my car (9 bolt)... they told me there was no such thing as a 9 bolt and they were positive I had a 10 bolt I just miscounted)... but tech support from summit isn't a toll free line I don't think.

JEGS also pricematchs! It's not a high advertised fact but when I asked 3 different salespeople on the phone they all said they do pricematch. The thing is the place they pricematch from has to be an actually storefront (somewhere you can actually walk into there store to view stuff). Most places anymore on the net just drop ship stuff and they won't pricematch them, cause they can use lower prices since the items aren't actually sitting in there inventory.

When I ordered my headers and catback 2 years back I was pleased... I only got charged 10 bucks total for everything sent UPS ground man that stuff was heavy.