Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

One of These Things is Not Like the Other...(Mr. Gasket)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 IROCZ Camaro
Engine: 350 4bbl, 200cc Heads, 270hr Cam
Transmission: 700R4 w/ Trans-Go shift kit.
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt Posi
One of These Things is Not Like the Other...(Mr. Gasket)

This is a carburetor bushing from Mr. Gasket, p/n 1512

So, Who can spot the difference, hm? Besides the two bushings on the right which I don't need anyhow. Cmon, this goes back to our days as kids reading Highlights magazines in the waiting room of the doctors office....except the kid before you didnt circle all the differences in the two pictures, so you are on your own for this one. Anyone? It's not hard just concentrate...Haven't guessed yet? It's the 3/8" HOLE that the throttle cable for my carb is supposed to go into that is missing. How the hell does this slip by QC and manage to make it to ME, the person who has not had ONE good experience with this company.

Any time I have used Mr. Gasket parts, I have had nothing but dissappointment, NEVER have I been satisfied.

-The first time I used a Mr. Gasket product, it was for my header collectors. I installed them both properly, tightened the bolts properly, everything lined up...and then a few weeks later, the passenger side one blew out. These were the "ultraseal" ones that were supposedly "blow out resistant". Yeah, okay.

-When I went to do my heads and cam swap, I purchased an entire engine gasket kit complete with every gasket you would need for swapping heads and cam. I am rummaging through my gasket kit from good ol' Mr. Gasket, and whats this? Wait, where did my intake gaskets go? I just opened the box, they are not here, they didnt go anywhere...ohhhh Quality Control must have missed them...well theres a dent in my schedule while I wait for Summit to ship me my intake manifold gaskets...Thank you Mr. Gasket.

-In the same package as the above example (thank god I used felpro head gaskets instead of the ones in the Mr. Gasket kit) I had a set of the lower end composite header-head gaskets. I honestly didnt expect them to last long, but they blew out in multiple places in THREE DAYS! Honestly if your product cannot last that long, than how can you even begin to put it on the market? Sure I know it is the cheaper gaskets, but they should at least work to an extent.

-Then, I bought another "ultraseal" kit for the header to head application (because this is all they had left in stock at Autozone) again, "blow out proof". My past qualms with them had since been forgotten so I got them. They seemed thick, beefy, durable...so I thought. Scraped off all the old gasket material, got a nice clean surface, it would definately work this time. A month and a half later..."whats that ticking?? OH YEAH! Bingo, header gaskets again. The rear passenger tube had blown out yet again. At this point I am thinking "Maybe the header is warped and not sealing properly". Oh no, it was straight. I took a piece of sheet metal and put a thin coat of paint on the rim of the header tube and pressed it straight onto the metal, and got a full circle. Tube is not warped.

-NOW, it seems as if THIS little gem made it under the radar of Quality Control. This is 5 out of 5 times I have dealt with them and have had a bad experience. When I picked up this stud, the wrapping it was in made it hard to see the part inside, but I could make it out, and took the guys word for it that the hole that the throttle cable goes into would be there. Get home and "wait wheres that hole the guy was talking about?" Looked on summit for the part number, and BINGO...they missed it. Way to go Mr. Gasket, I will no longer be purchasing your merchandise anymore.

TL;DR: Mr. Gasket Co. sucks. Highlights magazines dont.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Car: 87 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
ive only ever bought felpro gaskets, and from the sounds of it...i will continue to buy only them.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Car: 1989 RS convertible
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Transmission: TH-700-R4
Axle/Gears: stock axles 3.73 LSD
i hate mr. gasket. isn't that the company that made the fuel pressure regulator that one guy had in that sick yellow vert that blew up? yeah it was. i will not buy any of their products
Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
yes it was, i try to stay away from these guys whenever possible
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM

Car: 84 firebird T/A
Engine: shinny 350
Transmission: slush box L65
Axle/Gears: round ones "3.73"
all mr gasket stuff sucks!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

I just hope everyone else realizes this. I have half a mind to write an angry letter to them but I don't think they deserve any more of my time, and nothing I do will make them produce more reliable products. My only fear is that I have a few products that are like sister companies to them (Moroso, Accel, etc), but so far so good with those things.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen
never been impressed w/ mr gasket myself either...on multiple occasions.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:40 PM

letter wont matter. I live five min. ride from them and know some of the employees as a matter of fact I did work for them in the 70's.(chrome plating).

It is all chinese stuff now and it is about the dollar not making a quality product. They will buy smaller companies and run them to the ground basically to eliminate the competition.

Just dont buy thier stuff and know what names they sell under such as Hurst, Accel etc... these are all mr. gasket companies.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 PM

Car: 1981 Chevy Malibu, 1987 Formula 350
Engine: 229 V6, L98 TPI 350
Transmission: TH350, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt ???, 9 bolt 3.27 posi
Originally Posted by GuitarJunki17

This is a carburetor bushing from Mr. Gasket, p/n 1512

So, Who can spot the difference, hm? Besides the two bushings on the right which I don't need anyhow. Cmon, this goes back to our days as kids reading Highlights magazines in the waiting room of the doctors office....except the kid before you didnt circle all the differences in the two pictures, so you are on your own for this one. Anyone? It's not hard just concentrate...Haven't guessed yet? It's the 3/8" HOLE that the throttle cable for my carb is supposed to go into that is missing. How the hell does this slip by QC and manage to make it to ME, the person who has not had ONE good experience with this company.

Any time I have used Mr. Gasket parts, I have had nothing but dissappointment, NEVER have I been satisfied.

-The first time I used a Mr. Gasket product, it was for my header collectors. I installed them both properly, tightened the bolts properly, everything lined up...and then a few weeks later, the passenger side one blew out. These were the "ultraseal" ones that were supposedly "blow out resistant". Yeah, okay.

-When I went to do my heads and cam swap, I purchased an entire engine gasket kit complete with every gasket you would need for swapping heads and cam. I am rummaging through my gasket kit from good ol' Mr. Gasket, and whats this? Wait, where did my intake gaskets go? I just opened the box, they are not here, they didnt go anywhere...ohhhh Quality Control must have missed them...well theres a dent in my schedule while I wait for Summit to ship me my intake manifold gaskets...Thank you Mr. Gasket.

-In the same package as the above example (thank god I used felpro head gaskets instead of the ones in the Mr. Gasket kit) I had a set of the lower end composite header-head gaskets. I honestly didnt expect them to last long, but they blew out in multiple places in THREE DAYS! Honestly if your product cannot last that long, than how can you even begin to put it on the market? Sure I know it is the cheaper gaskets, but they should at least work to an extent.

-Then, I bought another "ultraseal" kit for the header to head application (because this is all they had left in stock at Autozone) again, "blow out proof". My past qualms with them had since been forgotten so I got them. They seemed thick, beefy, durable...so I thought. Scraped off all the old gasket material, got a nice clean surface, it would definately work this time. A month and a half later..."whats that ticking?? OH YEAH! Bingo, header gaskets again. The rear passenger tube had blown out yet again. At this point I am thinking "Maybe the header is warped and not sealing properly". Oh no, it was straight. I took a piece of sheet metal and put a thin coat of paint on the rim of the header tube and pressed it straight onto the metal, and got a full circle. Tube is not warped.

-NOW, it seems as if THIS little gem made it under the radar of Quality Control. This is 5 out of 5 times I have dealt with them and have had a bad experience. When I picked up this stud, the wrapping it was in made it hard to see the part inside, but I could make it out, and took the guys word for it that the hole that the throttle cable goes into would be there. Get home and "wait wheres that hole the guy was talking about?" Looked on summit for the part number, and BINGO...they missed it. Way to go Mr. Gasket, I will no longer be purchasing your merchandise anymore.

TL;DR: Mr. Gasket Co. sucks. Highlights magazines dont.

Gotta say I got a kick out of your post, LOL
I've never bothered with Mr Gasket stuff, and I guess its a good thing.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Car: 87 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally Posted by jjlabinski
letter wont matter. I live five min. ride from them and know some of the employees as a matter of fact I did work for them in the 70's.(chrome plating).

It is all chinese stuff now and it is about the dollar not making a quality product. They will buy smaller companies and run them to the ground basically to eliminate the competition.

Just dont buy thier stuff and know what names they sell under such as Hurst, Accel etc... these are all mr. gasket companies.
what other companies do they run?...a list would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

Accel
Moroso
Hurst
Mallory
Hayes
Erson Cams

I have dealt with Mallory and Accel products before with no issues though, so maybe its just directly Mr. Gasket Co.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I think it's a shame that a company as pathetic as Mr. Gasket has been able to buy up some of the most legendary names in car stuff. If the original founders of those companies are deceased by now, they're probably rolling over in their graves right now. I can say my Hurst shifter has worked great for years, but the Hays clutch I ran a long time ago was the biggest piece of garbage I ever had. I've since switched to a Ram clutch, and the difference in quality is amazing. Oh yeah, I also have a Mallory Hy-Fire ignition box that died a long time ago too, so now it just takes up space on my firewall until I get around to filling the holes I drilled to mount it. I think Mr. Gasket's philosophy goes something like this. Let's buy up famous names and have China make the parts for dirt cheap since most people are too stupid to know the difference. WRONG!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

That philosophy makes sense.

So how about an update:

I go back to Myers Speed and Van shop and hand him the stud and tell him about it, and he goes "wow, thats strange. Fine, I'll exchange it for you." He goes to the rack where these things were sitting and pulls the last one off: "That's funny, this one is missing a hole too...."

So, TWO of these things got away like that. I wouldnt be surprised if the guy that is in charge of drilling the holes just died on the job and noone realized it and boxed up a few thousand of these things and sent them off around the U.S.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

That hypothetically dead guy is probably the same dude that makes the substandard gasket sets for the Accel Superrams. Lol.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 PM

Car: red 89 t-top ta
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt soon
accel and mallory ignitions are made and assembled side by side i just recently saw it on a tv show
Old 01-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Car: 1987 GTA 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/2400 stall
Axle/Gears: B/W 3:27 posi disc
I am sure glad I read this before I spent my $$$.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by twobirds
I am sure glad I read this before I spent my $$$.

Thanks.
No problem. It seems as if the sister companies are alright, but Mr. Gasket directly is just garbage, idk why.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

No problem. It seems as if the sister companies are alright, but Mr. Gasket directly is just garbage, idk why.
Heh, I don't put much stock in those two companies either. I won't buy Accel or Mallory ignition stuff anymore either. See above post where I pointed out how my Mallory Hy-Fire is just sitting dead on the firewall. I'd give some testimonials about how bad Accel stuff is, but I don't have enough bandwidth here to relate all those stories. MSD has both of them beat by a country mile.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 AM

Car: 71 chevelle, 73 camaro, 94 probe
Engine: 408 bbc, 360 sbc, 2.5l v-6
Transmission: 4spd, 3spd, 5spd
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4:10, 10 bolt 3:42, stock
Mr. Gasket owns Hurst, Hays, Lakewood, Accell, Accell DFI, Mallory, Erson, and Jacobs Electronics.

Moroso owns Moroso and Compeition Engineering.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Car: 86 Z28
Their water necks are junk too. Mine couldn't handle the heat and warped after a couple days of being on. A 30 year old GM one sits on my engine now with no problems.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

We should boycott Mr. Gasket products until they start making something reliable.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: fully built 383 stroker
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
the only products i have from them that are actually really nice are the hurst shifter bar and a lakewood bellhousing! that bellhousing is amazing! so is the hurst shifter bar! but i refuse to buy anything else from them! i feel bad that such great names in the industry are going to the sh** house! how sad!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:47 PM

dont use that bell housing for racing with any power in front of it. You will loose your legs!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jjlabinski
dont use that bell housing for racing with any power in front of it. You will loose your legs!
Could you imagine calling that one into the customer service line?

"Ma'am I would like a refund"

"Why sir?"

"My legs are gone, your crappy product severed my legs at the knee caps...now I would like my money back"

"Sir I'm afraid all I can do is replace..."

"My legs?!?"

"No sir, just the bellhousing"

"Oh..."
Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
I bet the response would be "it's not our problem if you grenade your transmission".
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Car: 89 z
Engine: Chevy 383
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.73
And why won't you tell the world what is better than a Lakewood bellhousing? If somebody lost their legs because of a flywheel explosion, why blame the bellhousing? Why not blame the flywheel? or the clutch, maybe the pressure plate? What about the driver? would a stock cast aluminum bellhousing be better?
And about the carburetor bushing, yeah you are right it should be ready to bolt on but in the time it took you to storm back inside and kick the kids of the computer, log on and compose that biography, I would have whipped out the drill and 3/8" bit and 15 minutes later I'm on the next project. And the next time my money goes somewhere else.
Lord I apologize for that, and all the starving pygmies down there in New Guinea.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70
Could you imagine calling that one into the customer service line?

"Ma'am I would like a refund"

"Why sir?"

"My legs are gone, your crappy product severed my legs at the knee caps...now I would like my money back"

"Sir I'm afraid all I can do is replace..."

"My legs?!?"

"No sir, just the bellhousing"

"Oh..."

Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 AM

Car: S10
Engine: 383
Transmission: th 400
Axle/Gears: Stocker 10 bolt w/4:11's
Originally Posted by Norwood
And why won't you tell the world what is better than a Lakewood bellhousing? If somebody lost their legs because of a flywheel explosion, why blame the bellhousing? Why not blame the flywheel? or the clutch, maybe the pressure plate? What about the driver? would a stock cast aluminum bellhousing be better?
And about the carburetor bushing, yeah you are right it should be ready to bolt on but in the time it took you to storm back inside and kick the kids of the computer, log on and compose that biography, I would have whipped out the drill and 3/8" bit and 15 minutes later I'm on the next project. And the next time my money goes somewhere else.
Lord I apologize for that, and all the starving pygmies down there in New Guinea.
Would you also bondo your Mr Gasket head gasket after it started leaking fluid into the cylinder instead of getting a new one?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JDSimpson
Their water necks are junk too. Mine couldn't handle the heat and warped after a couple days of being on. A 30 year old GM one sits on my engine now with no problems.
Boy I can relate to your story too! I bought one of their cheap, chrome plated ones equipped with the o-ring so you don't have to replace the gasket every time you change the thermostat. Yeah right! The damn o-ring flattened out after one thermostat change, so I ended up going back to the original GM one with the standard gasket. What a joke huh? I will make an exception when it comes to the Lakewood scattershields and the Hurst shifters. Those still seem to be very good quality. As for everything else these guys make, nothing but pure, undistilled junk!

Last edited by Pat Hall; 01-17-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Have you ever drilled a 1/2" round shaft? It's very difficult to get a clean hole without the bit wiggling around. If it's not dead center then odds are it's going to blow through one of the sides. It's just not worth the effort.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 AM

Car: 86 MCSS-87 Z28
Transmission: Auto OD-5spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73 both cars
You guys are really funny. You don't want to pay the money for quality USA made parts and then complain when the Chinese junk you buy is crap. There are USA made parts but most people shop by price not quality. (Walmart mentality) The success of the ripoff manifolds and crappy heads are a case in point.

The reason most of these companies use Chinese made crap is because consumers won't pay the price for quality parts. When they found that people preferred the cheap crap, they sold you what you wanted to pay for.

Next time do the research and support those companies that sell quality parts. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. You shop at Walmart style companies, don't expect to get Snap-On style quality.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gcpoland
You guys are really funny. You don't want to pay the money for quality USA made parts and then complain when the Chinese junk you buy is crap. There are USA made parts but most people shop by price not quality. (Walmart mentality) The success of the ripoff manifolds and crappy heads are a case in point.

The reason most of these companies use Chinese made crap is because consumers won't pay the price for quality parts. When they found that people preferred the cheap crap, they sold you what you wanted to pay for.

Next time do the research and support those companies that sell quality parts. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. You shop at Walmart style companies, don't expect to get Snap-On style quality.
Hey hey, in 4 out of 5 of those situations I had no choice but to go with that company because of time constraints and availability of products. I needed to get my car back on the road, and what gaskets did my local auto place have? Correct, Mr. Gasket. I couldn't wait a week for a set of felpros to ship to my door so I could put them in, the car had to be running now.

And as for the stud, and Mr. Master Driller up there, that was the only carb stud at my speed shop in stock, so I pretty much had to go with it. And do I feel like trying to drill a hole into a round piece of steel with the improper bits with a drill press that I don't own, only to have to take back a mangled part to the speed shop and have them tell me "we cant take that back" and be out $7.00? Probably not. Sure it's not a lot but it's just inconvenient is all.

I never said "I don't want to pay money for quality parts", rather, its a matter of "sometimes I just dont have the time to wait for a quality part that is out of stock in my local speed shop to ship in". I do strive to buy American parts when I can, and when I cant, I opt for this stuff, but in light of recent events, I guess I'll have to start trying harder then won't I? Ask me what I have on my motor wont you? The most important components, are all made in America: Brodix heads, Edelbrock performer RPM, Edelbrock Performer Carb, and Comp Cam, all American made. When it REALLY counts, I but American parts. All the little crap is just miscellanious parts that I needed to get because of availability issues.

Dont make judgements, dont assume. (especially you Norwood being that I don't have any kids to kick of of a computer as I am 19 year old college student ) I'm not being a crybaby here in any way shape or form, just expressing my opinion for these companies, and warning a few others by doing so. You learn from your mistakes, and I'm trying to make it so that a few others learn from mine as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:45 PM

No U funny. . . .Mr Gasket is located in Cleveland Ohio USA I dont know where cleveland china is. . . .but I am sure you do!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
That only means they outsource their manufacturing to cheap labor sources in china. That way, they can get away with substandard wages, benefits, working environment, materials, etc to make a bundle off of suckers.

Last edited by Toehead; 01-17-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah the real shame is the fact that they bought up good, reputable American company names which they're now dragging through the mud repeatedly. As far as buying good quality American made parts go, all of us are anxiously waiting with baited breath for you to tell us just where we're supposed to find this magical store or website that actually carries something other than Mr. Gasket junk when it comes to the little nick-nack stuff like that. If you can simply tell me where to find this stuff, hell, sign me up first!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc
Engine: 305 Carbed
Transmission: 700r4, 3200rpm Converter
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi, rear disk
This concerns me.
I have a few Mr Gasket things on my Iroc, Including a fuel reg.
I also have the Accel HEI dist, wires and plugs.
Runs like a top.. maybe I got a good one?
Of course having said this it will probably detonate tomorrow