Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

The gift that keeps on giving ;(

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The gift that keeps on giving ;(

I'm a quiet guy, so you can appreciate how frustrated I am just to be venting here.

Have a 89 K1500 with DynamicEFI ecu, 385, TPI that need tuning (still needs finishing off). Delivered the vehicle, running poorly to CK at L.S. in Red Deer, AB.

- Shop had the truck for over a year, charged $$.
- When I went the first time to pick up 'finished' truck it would barely run, broken injector harness (3hr drive one way), charged $$.
- Rented a truck and trailer and took down a 4runner turbo project and trailered the Chev home, started only to drive up in trailer.
- Truck ran like crap, Rob Rausher's (ecu vender) canned starter tune ran better than L.S. tune, Rob had a look at the tune and shook his head.
- Found fuel pressure transducer wired wrong.
- WB seemed wonky (noted) tried autotune and failed, with weather improving here had a good look at the WB, these guys melted the controller off at some point (**** happens) and cut it out and soldered the harness back together- so... working WB but non functional. Did I say they charged for the 'repair', charged $$.
- For the amount of money down the drain I could have taken the time and done it myself.
- I don't yell and scream, but I definitely can't recommend the place......I went down and liberated the Toyota, charged $$.
- In all honesty I have no idea how a company stays in business this long with workmanship like this.

Last edited by dfarr67; 04-23-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: The gift that keeps on giving ;(

Seems to be the new status quo rather than the exception. It's difficult to find any place to do reputable work, doesn't matter if it's changing oil, mounting tires, or rebuilding an engine.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:21 PM

There's one place here locally that does a good honest job for the regular stuff (took a few years to find out the guy I was using didn't have my interest in mind)- they are always busy, but for the 'performance' related end the talent pool is very shallow- I even try to do my due diligence searching on the web and still get f***d. I'm finding that 'reviews' mean nothing.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

Rob is such a great guy and a great asset to TPI tuning. It's almost impossible to find anyone who will tune a modified TPI these days. It sucks! After I procharge my Formula, I will have to learn as well.

I just got taken to down on have some rear gears setup. I usually do all my own work, but I just didn't have the time to learn or tools. A friendly reminder to myself on why I do all my own work.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:43 AM

In Edmonton I had Neil Horse Power Solutions spend 4hrs on the dyno (vs over a year with the other guys) and he has it about 85% which when I get the WB working will fine tune it (he used his own WB). Even then these guys are used to newer programs and I had to get in and lean out the pump shot- but I towed with the tune and everything held together.
Rear gears are sensitive- took two attempts to get mine right, cost parts each time.

Last edited by dfarr67; 04-24-2018 at 09:48 AM.