Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

New Hood / Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hood / Paint

Hi, I am looking at a new hood from www.americansportscar.com (American Sports Car Design). I Have an '89 Camaro RS and like the looks of the new "SS" style hood. Does anyone have any experience with this company or their hoods? I heard the hardwood hoods suck, how 'bout these? Also, does anyone know how much it would be (roughly) for me to get the hood painted to match my car (factory color)?
Old 09-10-2000, 09:59 PM

I like those hoods also, I have heard alot of good things about them. Hardley anything bad. Not sure on paint price probally depends on who does it.

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/bulldogfrazier/homepage
+
http://www.fracoinc.com/

Keep your ride shinning with pride
Old 09-10-2000, 10:04 PM
TGO Founder/Former Owner

Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5
I have the ASCD Ram Air hood. Quality is excellent.

I have never heard of anyone complaining about the ASCD Ram Air or SS hoods.

Cost me $200 to have the hood painted white. Even the body shop people liked the hood. They said it was very easy to work with.
Old 09-11-2000, 07:01 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
My buddy bought an ASCD cowl hood for his pickup and the fit is pretty good. The front curve is slightly different than stock, but hardly noticable. The quality is FAR higher than my Harwood.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 09-11-2000, 07:21 AM

I think sometimes it depends on each individual hood. I know Jim hates his Harwood but I liked mine. I have heard a lot of good things about ASCD but Mike (91Vortech something) said he had to put a lot of work into his ASCD hood. There were pin holes in the gel coat and a lot of waves. I know of one other bad ASCD hood and that was on a 94ish Camaro. This guy had to send his back two times before he gave up and just had the third one fixed. One thing I do really like about the SS hood is the fact it is finished underneath.

In reality I think it is hard to get that perfect fiberglass hood because of the way they are made.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 09-11-2000, 09:17 AM
Banned

I have heard good things about the ASCD hoods. I just bought the USBody source's RAM Air II hood for my GTA, and it is decent.. I got the lift off design (not enough $$ to get the bolt on) and it kinda sucks. PITA taking it off every time I want to check something out. Just make sure if you are getting a hood, get a bolt on.. save if you have to, I wish I did.
my .02

------------------
87 5.7 gta - ASCD Ram Air II hood, all the ghetto mods, cam, rockers, chip, exhaust, functional ram air, blah blah, all that stuff. best et: 13.96 @ 99.21mph r/t .601

[This message has been edited by Ben87GTA (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old 09-11-2000, 01:48 PM

I've heard nothing but good stuff about ASCD hoods. On top of it they sell both a TBI and TPI specific versions of their SS hood. Basically it can be made functional pretty easy from my understanding.

Hardwood on the otherhand...I hear a lot of mixed reviews and from personal exp I have got to say I don't like their products. My friends 2ndgen cowl hood is a hardwood hood and it was a major pain to fit. Specially since I had to cut it and that left jagged edges which are considered not passable for state inspection.

------------------
My car is the perfect women. She's braless, won't talk back and loves a good beating.
1989 Camaro RS L03 w/ WC T-5
http://350.StreetRacing.org
Old 09-11-2000, 03:00 PM

<< Has trouble with the harwood... Not ba, but it doesnt quite line up all the way around... (Now its REALLY outta whack, after creaming a deer with the car)... ClassicIndustries sells a cowl hood, if you want that instead of the RAM AIR, im not sure how the quality of their hoods are, or who makes them for them (knowing my luck, probably harwood). My car has a more boxy look to it, so i need a cowl and not the ram air, i think.... Any disagreements?

But im with Jim, the harwoods aint the greatest fitters....

------------------
1988 Formula, 305TPI, 700r4(for now), headers, stage 2 PROM, modded MAF, cat back, no catalytics, cowl hood, centerline champ 500 rims, KOBEL predator ground effects kit, Trans AM tailights, dash pouch, 92 shift console w/indicator, white face gauges, accented red trim, 12 speaker stereo, 4 amps, tint, T tops... icq 44373460 AIM:admrlam
see it at www.geocities.com/admrlam/bird.html
Old 09-11-2000, 06:02 PM

Car: '89 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 7.5 disc posi 3.23
I looked around at both ASCD and USbody source. I ordered the USbody source hood. I just got it two days ago, I ordered it Aug 04. Both place had a long wait but ASCD had the longest (2 months). I had to have the hood sooner. It looks bad *** . It is kinda flimsey, I got the bolt on style (CHA CHING $$$$). I wish I had more time I would have got the ASCD hood. I WILL HAVE TO FABRICATE MY *** OF TO GET FUNCTIONABILITY!!!! I'm Painting the car DRK MULBERRY. GM487 to be exact. Cal for shipping and wait period for the final decision.

------------------
89 FORMULA WS6 5.7 AUTO
BLACK/BLACK HARDTOP!
HYPERTECH THERMO MASTER
10-BOLT POSI, 3.23 GEARS
MODIFIED TRANSMISSION
K&N FILTER CHARGER
MODIFIED MASS AIR SENSOR
PORTED & POLISHED INTAKE
ACCEL COIL & 8.8 WIRES
EMISSIONS DELETE
DYNOMAX EXHAUST W\ TIPS
CUSTOM SOUND SYSTEM
BEST TIME 14.32 @98.3 mph
(====] [====)
Power buldge hood
^^ FOR SALE ^^
Old 09-11-2000, 10:04 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about the wait. I got the ram air hood from ascd for my TA. It took well over the 8 week back order to get here, but as for quality, I can't complain. Doesnt fit right yet, but it's in the process of being painted so that will all be taken care of soon enough. Waiting 2 months for the hood made it look that much sweeter when it finally arrived!

------------------
'91 TA, 305TPI, mild cam, stock heads ported and polished, ported plenum, SLP siamesed runners, edelbrock TES headers, flowmaster 3" cat-back, 3.73 posi, K&N, custom CAI, hypertech stage II chip, march underdrive pulleys,
"305 my A**" -countless mustang owners, after a good spanking.