BMW E36 Headlight Conversion - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Well what more can i say. Im doing the BMW E36 Headlight conversion. As far as i know im the second one to do this. It took a lot thought and planing but it seems im on the right track. Right now i only got one side in and still working on
the other side. Wiring is almost done for the most part. had to modify the the factory head light wiring a little. Just so you know, i still need to cover up a lot of things. Make it look more factory. Pics tell a much better story


Joey J.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0027.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0025.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0033.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

The pic's above were the US Style BMW lights. Here is some pics of fitting in the new EURO Head lights.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0054.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0061.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0059.jpg  

Last edited by Ramair21; 08-07-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
V6F1R3BRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 660
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Thats pretty sweet. I was thinking of doing the same with headlights from an 87 Cadillac. (can't remember model at the moment..)
V6F1R3BRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Demon355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Ont
Posts: 2,601
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

That looks awesome! Any pics of what you did to the wiring? I wouldn't mind doing this mod!
Demon355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
Member
 
Slave One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 163
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Nice idea, and cool to see innovation, but I'm just not feeling them...
Slave One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Supreme Member
 
pwdbychevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,290
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Do you have any more pics of the conversion?
pwdbychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

I do but I'm away from my computer. Once I get home I will upload some. I'm going to be working on it some more this weekend. Going to try to get her done. I'm also going to try to install the angel eyes as well.
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Supreme Member
 
92RS(real slow)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Osceola Indiana
Posts: 2,137
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

wow those look like a near perfect fit
92RS(real slow) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Warner Robins Ga
Posts: 651
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

LOVE IT. now there will be a bunch of people doing it. you would think somebody would start making more kits like these and other parts we all want.
bigdavesiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

here is a pic of one side installed.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0060.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-copy-img_0063.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Supreme Member
 
pwdbychevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,290
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramair21 View Post
here is a pic of one side installed.
Now that my friend looks awesome! Great job on the mod.
pwdbychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
keeslinger31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 613
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

I like this idea the stock headlights are definently a downside and hard to make look good but you figured it out. nice job. but you know what i like even more. E36 m3's my second favorite car next to the thirdgen camaro of course
keeslinger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #13
TGO Supporter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 2,473
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Nicely done old bean!
omnipotentgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
usamuscle892's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Augusta,GA
Posts: 275
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

looks great. next project....new parking lights. it actually kinda gives it a 5th gen look
usamuscle892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #15
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
DBLTKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aloha, Oregon
Posts: 1,132
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Bad *** man. That's awesome. I've always like the "idea" of a single headlight conversion but I've never seen one that looked right, until now. Great work!
DBLTKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #16
Supreme Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ga.
Posts: 2,113
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

I had always thought about doing a headlight mod, but always got scared off on how they looked after, but this looks nice
ssean92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

This Friday I'm going to get the angel eyes installed. I'll take a picture after it's all done.
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
cavazos31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 273
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

wow...just wow. Can't wait to see what it looks like with angel eyes! With the angel eyes, those would be the first headlight mods I'd seriously consider. Thats as close a fit to a stock headlight, with modern headlight components, that I've ever seen. Headlight mods not looking like factory equipment have been my biggest issue, but I must say that setup looks quite factory correct. Impressive work, if I do say so. I look forward to seeing how they look when your completly done. How complex has the wiring become to make those functional?
cavazos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
Sponsor
 
1Aauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pepperell
Posts: 3,584
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Nice job on those lights.Looks great.
1Aauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
I H8 WWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,491
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

I'm kind of at a yes and no decision right now.
I H8 WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #21
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavazos31 View Post
wow...just wow. Can't wait to see what it looks like with angel eyes! With the angel eyes, those would be the first headlight mods I'd seriously consider. Thats as close a fit to a stock headlight, with modern headlight components, that I've ever seen. Headlight mods not looking like factory equipment have been my biggest issue, but I must say that setup looks quite factory correct. Impressive work, if I do say so. I look forward to seeing how they look when your completly done. How complex has the wiring become to make those functional?
The wiring is not that bad at all. Very simple actually. I made my own harness with the BMW headlight connectors that i got from a junk yard. Used the the high and low beam coming out of the car to relays. I had to short the low beam switch cause when you turn on the high beam, the low lights would shut off. The BMW E36 light only use 2 wire instead of the thirdgen 3 wire plug.
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
HarmonyCamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: O'Neill NE
Posts: 368
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

it kinda does give it a 5th gen look it also makes it look meaner to me with the stock ones
HarmonyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #23
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
cavazos31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 273
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramair21 View Post
The wiring is not that bad at all. Very simple actually. I made my own harness with the BMW headlight connectors that i got from a junk yard. Used the the high and low beam coming out of the car to relays. I had to short the low beam switch cause when you turn on the high beam, the low lights would shut off. The BMW E36 light only use 2 wire instead of the thirdgen 3 wire plug.
Pretty slick. So the high beams are all four lights like they should be? Looking at the pictures closely, I still can't believe that headlight fits so well. Actually looks like where the lights "belong". If those angel eyes look as good as they do on BMW's, I might have another winter project to ad to the list. Especially if the wiring is simple, like you say. I've always admired the BMW headlights over any other lights. I'm eager to see what the car looks like with angel eyes. This already looks like a awesome mod, I'm thinking the eyes would take this mod over the top! If you would, please post more pics when your done.
cavazos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #24
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavazos31 View Post
Pretty slick. So the high beams are all four lights like they should be? Looking at the pictures closely, I still can't believe that headlight fits so well. Actually looks like where the lights "belong". If those angel eyes look as good as they do on BMW's, I might have another winter project to ad to the list. Especially if the wiring is simple, like you say. I've always admired the BMW headlights over any other lights. I'm eager to see what the car looks like with angel eyes. This already looks like a awesome mod, I'm thinking the eyes would take this mod over the top! If you would, please post more pics when your done.
Not sure if i understand the first sentence but i will try to answer lol. I am able to get all 4 light on like they should be. When Im using low beams and click over to high beams the low beams stay on like they should.

The project over all is not hard. The only problem im having right now is making the hood even with the fender in the front. But i still need to do more shaving on the headlight and maybe on the hood
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0064.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
cavazos31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 273
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramair21 View Post
Not sure if i understand the first sentence but i will try to answer lol. I am able to get all 4 light on like they should be. When Im using low beams and click over to high beams the low beams stay on like they should.

The project over all is not hard. The only problem im having right now is making the hood even with the fender in the front. But i still need to do more shaving on the headlight and maybe on the hood
I see. Thought I saw that a little in the previous pics, but I realized you weren't done, so I didn't comment on it. Looks more pronounced on the last photo. Looks like an easy enough fix. I assume you're hitting the top of the brackets on the headlight assemblies, correct? At least that what it looks like from a previous pic. I'd be interested in seeing what you end up having to shave to get those to fit.
cavazos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Demon355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Ont
Posts: 2,601
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Pic of the harness at all? Looks killer man! I need to find me a set of these lights

Would any BMW headlight harness work or would I need the proper harness for same type of year headlight?
Demon355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #27
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon355 View Post
Pic of the harness at all? Looks killer man! I need to find me a set of these lights

Would any BMW headlight harness work or would I need the proper harness for same type of year headlight?
Im about to work on the car right now. Just had the angel eyes installed on the headlights. OH MY GOSH!! Looks super sexy lol. Ill take a pic of the harness for you. not sure if they go by year. The headlights that im using are for a 92-99 BMW E36. Basically when you buy the EURO head lights from Ebay or a store, it comes with a harness to plug into your existing BMW connectors. So plug and play. All i had to do was fine the male ends to plug into the supplied connector
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #28
Supreme Member
iTrader: (7)
 
84 1LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oyth
Posts: 4,329
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Are those projectors?Did you consider removing them & using aftermarket housings?Too much cutting for my tastes.Your braver than i am.
84 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 173
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Those look like they should have come on camaros from the factory.Great job man.
92RS702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #30
Member
 
Fords88Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 436
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Very nice, they look right at home. Got to see pics when you're all done and night pics also. Later.
Fords88Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #31
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Bullydawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chico, Ca/ England
Posts: 3,649
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Can't wait to see the finished product joey. Looks sick. More and more people are going to start doing this now... Great work!
Bullydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #32
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Update:

We got the driver side light in. Made some more notching of the radiator frame on both sides. Good news. The headlights sits a lot lower than before, so now the hood can go all the way down a sit even with the fender!! Hooked up the angel eyes to my parking lamps and WOW!!! ITS AMAZING!! I dont have pics right now but tomorrow i will for sure. Also i just got my headlight bulbs today so i will install them tomorrow
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
quickkris2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: jackson new jersey
Posts: 733
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

i really like this mod and im now planing on doing it after my move cross country.. i have a few questions for u tho. how did u get the idea to do this mod? how did u know that they would fit? i looked up the lights on ebay and they are going for around 250 bucks or a lil less. im ganna try and find one in a junk yard somewhere cause im not ganna pay that much for headlights. but the mod does look amazing i cant wait to see more pics of it. could u possibly get some during the day so that we can see how they light up both high and low beam and then at night the same with the angel eyes to.. cant wait to do mine!
quickkris2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickkris2006 View Post
i really like this mod and im now planing on doing it after my move cross country.. i have a few questions for u tho. how did u get the idea to do this mod? how did u know that they would fit? i looked up the lights on ebay and they are going for around 250 bucks or a lil less. im ganna try and find one in a junk yard somewhere cause im not ganna pay that much for headlights. but the mod does look amazing i cant wait to see more pics of it. could u possibly get some during the day so that we can see how they light up both high and low beam and then at night the same with the angel eyes to.. cant wait to do mine!
Well, i got the idea from another person on this form. He installed Silverado lights with angel eyes. I thought that awesome. I drive around and i see BMW E36 with angel eyes and that just made my mind start thinking. A few years ago someone photo shopped them on here. They looked alright nothing i would do after seeing a photo shopped picture. But i already bought a US type headlight at a junk yard and they looked sweet with the car. I measured the E36 BMW headlights. Found out that they would fit just fine with a little bit of cutting lol. i bought the lights from this guy off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

you need to get the EURO type headlights in order to use angel eyes. US version suck man! this is not an cheap mod. This is going to put you back a little. Maybe 300 or so
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #35
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Demon355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Ont
Posts: 2,601
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Very sweet. Can't wait to see the finished pics!
Demon355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #36
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
cavazos31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 273
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramair21 View Post
Update:

We got the driver side light in. Made some more notching of the radiator frame on both sides. Good news. The headlights sits a lot lower than before, so now the hood can go all the way down a sit even with the fender!! Hooked up the angel eyes to my parking lamps and WOW!!! ITS AMAZING!! I dont have pics right now but tomorrow i will for sure. Also i just got my headlight bulbs today so i will install them tomorrow

What more did you have to cut off the radiator support? You didn't have to cut more off the top of the frame, did you?
cavazos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #37
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
quickkris2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: jackson new jersey
Posts: 733
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

hell yea man im ganna add that to my 14 page list of stuff i wanna do to my car lol
quickkris2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #38
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavazos31 View Post
What more did you have to cut off the radiator support? You didn't have to cut more off the top of the frame, did you?
No I just to notch out a little section that's all. Nothing major at all. I'm about to work on it right now so get ready fellas!!
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #39
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Some pics of the the install
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-26-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-21-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-11-.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #40
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Headlights installed!!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-17-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-13-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-12-.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #41
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

ANGEL EYES ON!!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-7-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-4-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-3-.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #42
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Headlight on
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0111.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-2-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0113.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #43
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

A little more
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-1-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0066-24-.jpg   BMW E36 Headlight Conversion-img_0115.jpg  
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #44
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
DBLTKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aloha, Oregon
Posts: 1,132
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Absolutely amazing. I hate to copy people but this is getting put on the future mod list for sure. Those headlights look like they belong on the car more than the stock ones do!
DBLTKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #45
Supreme Member
 
pwdbychevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,290
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Awesome job!
pwdbychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #46
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
!CamaroDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Pleasant Michigan
Posts: 112
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Those look awesome! Nice mod! Yea could be a future mod for my car if I get time to. Good job!
!CamaroDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #47
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
cavazos31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 273
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Nicely done, looks like a factory conversion! On the last pic of your recent install pics, the very back of the headlight housing looks as if a tiny bit of it tucks below the radiator support. (At least it kinda looks like it is) You said that you'd got the headlight to sit a lot lower and I was wondering if it was actually lower than you had thougt and maybe you didn't need to cut the top of the radiator support. Could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way, thats by far the best looking headlight conversion I've seen. The angel eyes look incredible! I'm gonna have to steal your idea before my car hits the road next spring for sure. Nice work man, very impresive. The headlights themselves look pretty bright in the picture. How much brighter are they then the stock headlights? Cool dog in the one pic. Kinda looks like a ewok. ha

Last edited by cavazos31; 08-17-2009 at 09:13 AM.
cavazos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #48
Supreme Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Ramair21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: stockton, CA
Posts: 2,233
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavazos31 View Post
Nicely done, looks like a factory conversion! On the last pic of your recent install pics, the very back of the headlight housing looks as if a tiny bit of it tucks below the radiator support. (At least it kinda looks like it is) You said that you'd got the headlight to sit a lot lower and I was wondering if it was actually lower than you had thougt and maybe you didn't need to cut the top of the radiator support. Could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way, thats by far the best looking headlight conversion I've seen. The angel eyes look incredible! I'm gonna have to steal your idea before my car hits the road next spring for sure. Nice work man, very impresive. The headlights themselves look pretty bright in the picture. How much brighter are they then the stock headlights? Cool dog in the one pic. Kinda looks like a ewok. ha
The headlight are pretty tall. You have to cut the rad support in order to tuck back that far. the back does sit under the rad but that is because i pushed the headlight under it. Not that much though. Yeah thats my Guard dog!! She loves to stay with me in the garage and watch me work. She is my garage dog!



Thanks for the nice comments. I was really afraid that no one would like it. But seems like everyone is going to start to do it so that must be a good sign. im going to try to find a fab shop do they can cover up the headlight under the hood.
Ramair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #49
Member
 
Fords88Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 436
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Ramair, that is very clean work. when doing any kind of mod it's always important to not remove any more metal than what's needed and you've accomplished that (lot's of measuring right), yeah just a little sheet metal work to cover the tops and you're set. Those really look exceptional dude, if you hear any negative on this it's because they're blind. Later.
Fords88Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #50
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Demon355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Ont
Posts: 2,601
Re: BMW E36 Headlight Conversion

Looks mint dude! Saved a few pics to show my buddy who loves BMW's. Told him about the swap and he wants to see it. Great job!
Demon355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
October 2015 COTM **WINNER** Linson Auto Detailing and Appearance 19 12-04-2015 01:45 PM
Camaro third gen LED head lights oil pan 4 Fabrication 2 10-06-2015 11:56 AM


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >

Tags
air, bmw, cold, conversion, e36, firebird, headlight, headlights, intake, lights, make, motor, pics, project, stock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: