Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

my simple firebird projector hid's

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
???

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
my simple firebird projector hid's

i really wanting to do something where they didn't open so far, like half way. but with the black trim ring, it just wouldn't look right.

so here's some pics, i'm not down yet, still need to pic up some 1/4 black abs plastic to finnish it of. but about an hour or so of playing around with it. and i atleast got an idea of how it will work.

i know some guys look better, but i know some look worse lol. and i've done this same mod to my zx10 and they put out great light. so atleast it will work well lol

on to some pics.

i removed the stock bulb

stuck the projector in

from the back you can see how they mount. i just bent the little tabs of the stock bucket over a bit and tightened the end cap over it. pretty solid

the front i'll fill in with some black abs when i find it. help support the front as well. this is just cardboard to get the size right.

a little flat back to see what it looks like. not sure if i'm doing the projector housing and metal frame in black or just leave it sliver.

white halo's.. kinda iffy but add a little something, and atleast they are just white. so i think i'm going to hook them up.

and to quick side by sides, very close to the wall so you can't really see the cut off. but they do have a great cut off.

high bean. again doesn't look to much different because its close.

they are 5000k's so very white, and at 129$ shipped i'm more than happy with them. cheap china stuff, but i've had my first set on the bike for a good while and no issues.

comments welcome, bash if you must lol. but i'm not changing the setup unless someone has a really good idea thats pretty simple to pull off. the main reason i'm doing it is because my girl drives the car to work some weekends because she loves it(and its her's haha). but always says the headlights suck. so this should fix it for simple and cheap.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
???

Re: my simple firebird projector hid's

two quick pics from the bike ones to show the cutoff.

and high

here they are less than a foot apart because its on the bike, and i think the left one got turned a bit while building the bracket. so the cut offs over lap, but you get the idea.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

That's kind of cool. What kind of projectors are they?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 AM
???

the ones off eBay that and meant to be used inside headlight housing. its a retro fit kinda thing
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

off to a great start - glad to see more people giving it a shot on the birds. subscribing for more progress photos!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you buy them from? And if Ebay - what is the seller's name?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ???
the ones off eBay that and meant to be used inside headlight housing. its a retro fit kinda thing
...Who makes them?

These? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-...item2eb1c51d5b
Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I'd be concerned about not having a glass shield in front of them, to protect the projector lens.

As for coming up shorter, that is an easy fix & why not remake the surround? For that matter....They are only up at night when nobody sees them anyways, so who cares?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

Originally Posted by Stephen
I'd be concerned about not having a glass shield in front of them, to protect the projector lens.
maybe grab a cheap set of the non-lined h4 conversion housings to pull apart? should come apart a little easier and has a lens you can put over the projector. man, there goes another paycheck on on the car.....
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1ADan
maybe grab a cheap set of the non-lined h4 conversion housings to pull apart? should come apart a little easier and has a lens you can put over the projector. man, there goes another paycheck on on the car.....
That is what I'm currently working on, but you'll find that there are no housings deep enough to put the projector in. I have the shortest projector I could find anywhere and it is still too long. To fit it behind the lens, the back has to be cut out & a new mount made for the projector. That is where I am at now & looking for an easy to bond it onto the housing, short of laying fiberglass to hold the mount to the housing.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
???

yeah i worry about rocks hitting it, but they do go down and its not a daily, more like every few days lol. the glass is also very thick, so im pretty much saying screw it and try it haha i am going to seal it so no water can get in with the rtv they give you in the kit.

i just down like how putting them in cheap housing would work and they wouldnt fit right, either hit the front or back. they are only 80$ without the ballasts.. so ill just replace it.

i got once side plastic done tonight, ill post the pics tonight.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
???

Originally Posted by iansane
thats not them, but i do like those too, about the same idea. let me find a link.

http://www.omgcar2010.com/2-x-hid-bi...-h7_p6215.html

the first set i got from them was thru ebay but since then they have started that site. i emailed them about the 2nd set they sent me here. but same paypal addy and all. so its legit. just tell them you need the ballast

Last edited by ???; 01-04-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z28

I'm curious as to how wide and how evenly dispersed the beam pattern is. I used to post on a retrofitting forum for awhile, and was warned to shy away from off brand ebay projectors. Haven't seen these ones before though, any way you could find a big open space and snap some pics?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 PM

Car: 1987 Z28 / 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 LG4 / 305 LB9
Transmission: T5 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.08

Quick order now!!! They're 100% off... currently the price is $0.00... might be a glitch, however they need to honor it!

Originally Posted by ???
thats not them, but i do like those too, about the same idea. let me find a link.

http://www.omgcar2010.com/2-x-hid-bi...-h7_p6215.html

the first set i got from them was thru ebay but since then they have started that site. i emailed them about the 2nd set they sent me here. but same paypal addy and all. so its legit. just tell them you need the ballast
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
???

Originally Posted by CaliChevyLover
I'm curious as to how wide and how evenly dispersed the beam pattern is. I used to post on a retrofitting forum for awhile, and was warned to shy away from off brand ebay projectors. Haven't seen these ones before though, any way you could find a big open space and snap some pics?

I should be able to pull that off
Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
???

some quick ones of the plastic cut out.

the center was a pain haha

just some quick phone pics along the way. gotta do the other side tomorrow. then hide all the realys and crap somewhere, along with the motor rebuild so it flips up right.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

I thought about doing that with mine, but didn't want it so exposed, so I'm building mine into a H4-type housing.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7 LTR
Transmission: Automatic

I'd look at the Autopal's sold on ebay. I have a pair of these on my 87 GTA. I have h4 Night Ranger bulbs in the Autopal's. The Autopal's are made out of glass as well. I think sell for like $25 or more for a pair.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28

Originally Posted by ???
I should be able to pull that off
Thank you sir. Much appreciated. nice work.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steveh4263
I'd look at the Autopal's sold on ebay. I have a pair of these on my 87 GTA. I have h4 Night Ranger bulbs in the Autopal's. The Autopal's are made out of glass as well. I think sell for like $25 or more for a pair.
I already have the housings I'm gonna use.

But how is the light output on your setup? Got pics? I've tried the H4 bulbs in new housings & the output totally SUCKED! I've heard from others that say the same as well as seen pics of their light output. It totally sucked & we all switched back to sealed beans. Usually (i did) to Sylvania Silverstars sealed beams.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to a setup with outer protective lenses and how they did it:

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...or-conversion/

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...-write-up.html
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7 LTR
Transmission: Automatic

I already have the housings I'm gonna use.

But how is the light output on your setup? Got pics? I've tried the H4 bulbs in new housings & the output totally SUCKED! I've heard from others that say the same as well as seen pics of their light output. It totally sucked & we all switched back to sealed beans. Usually (i did) to Sylvania Silverstars sealed beams.
I thought the output was better then the sealed beam. I had my lights adjusted at a car dealer as well. I was impressed by it. There cheaper than the Hella's and there made out of glass. I wish I had photos of the light output. But the car is in storage until April. Here's a link to the Narva Rangerpower +50 bulbs. http://store.candlepower.com/naraulhiou60.html
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM
???

didnt take many pics tonight but got the other side plastic made up and everything sealed up in the buckets. going to let it dry over night and wire it all up soon. im not someone that worrys about wiring things but i wont lie, the way these are all done up where you only have to wire + - and plug it a plug is pretty nice. all this hi/lo and halo stuff could lead to a pain in the ...

for you guys worried about them being exposed, i took a pic of how thick this glass. i think if something breaks this while driving, ill have bigger things to worry about than my headlight. ill upload later.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 PM
???

here's the glass..

the newer R1's are exposed i think, but they may be made of something else.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mvhjidbvdz...600/r1%2Ba.jpg

i'll post up if i have any issues with like this. for now, i just wanna get it done haha.

the one link above where the guys vac molded his own covers on the 4th gen firebird is pretty much the best i've seen done. i wouldn't go as far money wise and learning to mold stuff. that seems a bit extreem to me right now. but it looks like it worked well.

but i'll add that between the 3 friends of mine that enjoy this headlight stuff. drop in hid's like going in a ebay h4 housing. just never work well enough to be worth the hassle. its pretty much projector or nothing these days. and not even a projector meant for a bulb then drop in a hid. i had that on the bike before putting these it in. and no matter how i played with getting the bulb hight right, it was always only a little better than stock.

on a funny note, a buddy saw mine and ordered some for his truck, his came in today. its almost 1am and i get this mms pic of them already in and the halo hooked up lol. damn these things are eazy when you have big housings already. he was replacing drop in bi hid's. which he though was cool at first but didn't really grow on him.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ???
for you guys worried about them being exposed, i took a pic of how thick this glass. i think if something breaks this while driving, ill have bigger things to worry about than my headlight. ill upload later.
I wouldn't be worried about them breaking completely. I'd be concerned with chipping, pitting, cracking, etc.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 323 Likes on 265 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

You should make outer shields.Any damage to the projector lense will ruin the beam.Doesnt matter how thick it is.If damaged light wont focus.

As for the new R1s.Thats not the projector lense you see.Thats the shield.The lense is farther back.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 AM
???

eh, like i said, they are cheap and im not looking for some kinda perfect light, so im going to go without and see. i dont feel like learning to build molds and the cheap e bay housing look like a pain in the butt.

hell just runnng all these wires so they wont pull or get crushed when flip up and down is enough of a pain lol
Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 AM
???

done with them.. ugh that ended up being a lot of work. no wonder the headlight covers were never quite lined up when it came back from the paint shop lol. I think I popped the hood like 20 times before everything was right. but it does look better.

it was 1am when I got done but a quick video of them working. will take it out to a dark road and get some pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdQno...e_gdata_player

there's no room anywhere for anything on a firebird. but its all hidden under there.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Banned

Nice aiming marks on the wall, but you should be like 20 feet away to aim them, not 2 feet!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 AM
???

they are going to have to be aimed all over again so the cut off falls below the line of sight of on coming cars, the was just a referance point at best so hopefully i dont have to twist a screwdriver for an hour lol.

as for that whole 20foot thing, i never do any of that. ive tried and never happy with it. i stop the car on a dead end road by my house and adjust the lights based on what looks best and make sure im not blinding anyone on low. we used to do a lot of night runs and it leads to being very picky about lighting.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ???
.....as for that whole 20foot thing, i never do any of that. ive tried and never happy with it. i stop the car on a dead end road by my house and adjust the lights based on what looks best and make sure im not blinding anyone on low. we used to do a lot of night runs and it leads to being very picky about lighting.
That is how I do my lights to. I live way out of town, so I just park on a dark back road & start aiming. I put my Hazards on & have had people just drive around me, while I'm aiming my lights!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 PM
???

so i got lazy and just took some pics of the light in a dark parking lot near by.

i'm calling it done.. we will see if i have any issues without covers. if so, i'll post up in this thread about what they are. as for now. the pics..

my cam has auto settings only, so it makes it look lighter than it is. but its dark

low beam..

high

i've never really studied the light pattern of a high end car with projectors, but to me it seems pretty good. deff 100 times better than stock sealed beams that were in there, and total price for the whole mod is 129$ shipped for the lights, which come with nice harnesses and waterproof relays. and i did end up buying some sticky back rubbery sheets stuff from lowes, in the roofing section lol. to keep the light from bouncing around out the and extra sure the back end was sealed to the bucket from water when in turned off and facing down. i thought maybe something could sneak thru there. the roll for 9$ and i only used a 3in x3in square on both sides
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Output looks good.

I just realized something though....You have them mounted in the mounting buckets, not in any housing that fits into the mount.

How did you mount those in there? Is that black plastic sheet what sandwiches them in there & holds them place?

Where did you get those Projectors? Got a link?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
???

Output looks good.

I just realized something though....You have them mounted in the mounting buckets, not in any housing that fits into the mount.

How did you mount those in there? Is that black plastic sheet what sandwiches them in there & holds them place?

Where did you get those Projectors? Got a link?

check the 3rd pic in the 1st post. since they arn't stock parts, they mount from the back. so they plastic is just for looks. i went ahead and sealed the front too, and it might help some but the back uses the bucket tabs to mount the porjector.

the link is in this thread too. but ebay stuff. there's also i like to another style of ebay ones that another guy posted that looked pretty good too. mine came from http://www.omgcar2010.com/2-x-hid-bi...-h7_p6215.html
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ???
check the 3rd pic in the 1st post. since they arn't stock parts, they mount from the back. so they plastic is just for looks. i went ahead and sealed the front too, and it might help some but the back uses the bucket tabs to mount the porjector.

the link is in this thread too. but ebay stuff. there's also i like to another style of ebay ones that another guy posted that looked pretty good too. mine came from http://www.omgcar2010.com/2-x-hid-bi...-h7_p6215.html
I did look at the pics. Didn't I say that?

But I can't tell how they are held in the bulb mounts.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
???

i don't think i'm understanding your question.

i just bent the tabs that are at the back of the headlight bucket in some, stuck the projector threaded part thru, put the washers on and tightened the nut. the bucket tabs get clamped down and it holds the projector.

these arn't mine, but same idea. maybe this pic will help.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1291447950
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ???
i don't think i'm understanding your question.

i just bent the tabs that are at the back of the headlight bucket in some, stuck the projector threaded part thru, put the washers on and tightened the nut. the bucket tabs get clamped down and it holds the projector.

these arn't mine, but same idea. maybe this pic will help.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1291447950
That pic looks just like mine do. 2 options for the threaded mount.

I'm just not real clear on how it is holding itself to the bucket mount.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
???

That pic looks just like mine do. 2 options for the threaded mount.

I'm just not real clear on how it is holding itself to the bucket mount.

that pic linked to the wrong pic. crap.

DSC06723.jpg?t=1291447950

maybe that will work
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
???

i may have went to far, towards the import side. but i went ahead and wired these lights up tonight. they just peel off, if they don't grow on me. i mean they look kinda different, but might be to much.

the camera makes them look blue, they are atleast white lol.
Attached Thumbnails my simple firebird projector hid's-img_20110116_225840.jpg   my simple firebird projector hid's-p1060275small.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 PM
???

maybe this will do a better job, the arrows are pointing to the tabs i bent over and tightened the mounting ring/screw onto to.

Attached Thumbnails my simple firebird projector hid's-img_20110103_170151-modded.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

I've thought about those, but never thought I'd like it enough to spend my money on trying ti.

Glad you did it first, so I don't waste my money on trying it.

If you like it (and that is all that really matters), its your car, go for it. For me & my car? Not gonna happen now.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 PM
???

I've thought about those, but never thought I'd like it enough to spend my money on trying ti.

Glad you did it first, so I don't waste my money on trying it.

If you like it (and that is all that really matters), its your car, go for it. For me & my car? Not gonna happen now.

yeah, i got them with the idea of putting them inside the housings on the bike, but didn't feel like splitting them apart again not being sure if i would really like them. so i just stuck them on there.

they do look better in person, but i can't get a pic to turn out right. i'm pretty much with you thou. i wouldn't tell anyone to run out and get some lol

i'm going to leave them on for a bit and see.

they were only 13$ shipped haha. late night ebay buying isn't always a good thing. but i will say i like how thou they look when they are off. atleast that part doesn't look tacky.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Car: 2008 C6 / 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LS3 / Hybrid LS1-406 SBC
Transmission: 6L80 / 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.56:1 / 3.23:1 4th gen Posi

Awesome thread.
Do you see there being any issue with them getting wet when the lights are down?

*edit* Also, I followed the link above but am a little confused on payment as I placed my order without having to give any payment information. The online receipt shows payment method: Western Union Order.

Now, maybe I did the wrong thing and need to cancel, but what exactly did you do to obtain yours?
Please forgive my ignorance! Lol.

Last edited by sjgrimsley; 01-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
???

yeah thats the one thing i didnt think about till they were together and i was sealing around the bulbs like they tell you do. so i got some sticky back rubber sheet stuff from lowes. its meant for roofing, and is like 15$ a roll. cut a round piece and put it behind the sealing ring and stuck it to the bucket housing. hit it with some flat black paint and put the mounting ring back on and shes good to go.

it might not be needed but i didnt want water sitting in the bucket rusting stuff.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Okay that does sound like a good idea. Also, I edited my previous post. I'm curious as to exactly how you obtained your projectors.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM
???

Originally Posted by sjgrimsley
Okay that does sound like a good idea. Also, I edited my previous post. I'm curious as to exactly how you obtained your projectors.

hmmm thats weird. i ordered my first set i put on the bike from them back when they had ebay store, so i just messaged them thur ebay for a 2nd set. he gave me the link to that site as they are moving over to it and his paypal address. so i just paypaled him money and left the color and stuff in the paypal note section. my buddy always got a set about a week later for his turck, the pic above haha. and he just used his paypal too.

so i can find that and give it to you if the site isn't working. but i'd try contacting them thru the site as that was what they were moving too.

let me look up what he sent me.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Okay many thanks. The site says they are free just pay for the shipping. Not sure about that is all lol
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM
???

yeah, got me man. i pmed you what i got.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM
???

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
You should make outer shields.Any damage to the projector lense will ruin the beam.Doesnt matter how thick it is.If damaged light wont focus.

As for the new R1s.Thats not the projector lense you see.Thats the shield.The lense is farther back.

i think you're over thinking it man, i don't think a few chips or scratches are going to change the light much at all. these are cheap ebay china stuff, i don't think there's much focus about it.

it just floods out a **** ton of light on high and cuts it in half on low with a little metal flap.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM
???

here's the pic showing what pins to change on the stock plugs.
Attached Thumbnails my simple firebird projector hid's-4656-h4-conversion.jpg  

Quick Reply: my simple firebird projector hid's