Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Who's interested in a Jongbloed cowl induction hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's interested in a Jongbloed cowl induction hood?

This is still in the early stages, but we might be able to get Jongbloed style hoods made. If we can get at least 5 firm orders with deposits I'm going to let my hood be used to form a mold that can be used to make fiberglass or carbon fiber copies. I'll only make my hood available for this up to the point that I can afford to get it painted, which at this rate will be in at least a few months, so there's some time left. I don't have anymore details at this point, but if you're interested please reply here so we know whether or not to take this further.

Old 07-10-2001, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm the one that contacted Andy about trying to get a mold of the Jongbloed cowl hood. Like Andy said, we are in the early stages of getting this project done, but the one's that will manufacture the hood want at least five confirmed orders to get this started. I want to see if a group discount can be made. I know the response in getting the hood made in past posts were very good, so i'm hoping the response will be just as good now that actually getting the hood reproduced has very good chances of actually getting done. As soon as I get more information on when the molding process can take place, how the pre-orders will be handled, shipment, etc, etc, I will pass that information on to the rest of you.
I just want to thank Andy for being so cooperative and his enthusiastic involvement in trying to get this hood reproduced. Thanks again Andy.

-Marvin-
Old 07-10-2001, 09:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 415ci LS3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.89
I'm very interested,but qaulity is an issue.Will it work with a latch.And how much are we talking cost wise?Feel free to email me direct with any details you may have.

------------------
92RS
Old 07-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Shoot us a price and more details. I just bought a new IROC, and since I can't get another hood like on my blue baby unless I make it myself, I might definately be interested. But it would depend on price, how it mounts (I'm only interested in ones that use the stock mounting provisions), the quality and weight (I want sturdy, not flimsy), when it would be made, and where it would ship from.

------------------
'86 Camaro Sport Coupe and '88 IROC
Old 07-10-2001, 10:37 PM

Since I'm getting into this project so that I can have a productive of the hood myself, the quality and functionality of the hood will be important to me as well.
What I'm looking to do is to make an exact production of the hood. The original hood is a very high quality piece and utilizes the stock latch and hinges. I would expect the reproduction to be the same. Me and the guys that will do the mold will still have to meet with Andy. As soon as all those arrangements take place, I will be able to provide more information. But like I said, I expect a high quality hood that will function as a stock replacement hood, not something that will have to be pinned down.
As far as pricing, for the hood to really fly, it will have to be competitive with other fiberglass hoods on the market. Information on pricing, availability and shipping will be determined. I will try to have an answer for all that as soon as possible. If production will take place, it will be in the Southern California area.

[This message has been edited by FAST LiFE (edited July 10, 2001).]
Old 07-11-2001, 12:46 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 383 Stroker
It looks like a nice hood, I can't see it all to well in the pic (could you get another one with better lighting?), but it sure looks nice. I would reaaly be interested in one. Just tell me a price, what the down payment would be, and when they would be produced. Thanks. THEISENATOR@aol.com
Old 07-11-2001, 12:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
I'm not sure if I'm interested. The pic isn't very good but if I saw a better pic maybe I would be.

------------------
1992 Camaro RS
5.0L- All stock until I save up some money.
My 1992 RS
Old 07-11-2001, 10:23 AM

I have a better pic. As soon as the site it's hosted on is up again I'll post it.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:28 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 383 Stroker
You guys should hurry up and get toghether and work out the details. Have you set up a time to get together yet?
Old 07-11-2001, 11:46 PM

Here's another pic:

Note: I didn't do the best job cutting the hood out of the original pic. The back edge of the hood has a smoother curve from the side to the top of the cowl than this pic would indicate.

[This message has been edited by Andy89RS (edited July 12, 2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 05:16 PM

I know that all that is interested in the hood want a price. Worst case scenario cost would be in the $500-$600 range. That is worst case. Considering the Hardwood 4” high cowl hood has a narrower cowl that the Jongbloed and costs around $450, so we’re trying to target a price range close to that. My contact with the guys that are doing the hood will try to get a firm price by next week. Since this is a custom deal, the hoods will take a few weeks to make after the initial mold is made. Basically, to make the mold would cost $3000. We would need to have 5-6 hoods made to cover the cost of the mold. More orders than that should affect the price. Like I said, I’ll find out more next week.
If you want to know who will be making the hood and want to know the legitimacy of the company. It is R2AutoDesigns and they can be found at www.r2autodesign.com . They make very high quality kits for import show cars and have been featured in many of the import show magazines and they have agreed to step in to do this project. They usually make fully functioning hoods, meaning that the stock hinges will be used and the stock latch will be retained and the hood will be fully reinforced. I’ve seen some of the fiberglass hoods they’ve made for the imports and they are very sturdy and do not warp under heat like some of the cheaper cowl hoods I’ve seen out there.
My contact will be notifying them that they might be getting calls about this project. If you call, say today, and someone there doesn’t have a clue as to what you are talking about, my contact may not have gotten to them yet or the entire staff may not have been told yet. If you are in the Los Angeles, CA area, feel free to drop by their shop if you want to see the quality of their work.
Honestly, this is one of the best hoods I have ever seen on a Third Gen. The only one's with the hoods i've seen was a Third Gen in an old Car Craft article in the late 80's and when I saw a picture of Andy's car. Andy himself knows of only 4 and that's including himself. It's a very rare hood that no one produces right now. As soon as I get more information, I’ll pass it on to all that are interested. E-mail me if you have any more questions.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:01 PM

Car: 05 GTO, 88 GTA, 98 SS
I would give my left nut for that hood.

------------------
91 Camaro RS - Black with red tweed - t-tops - 700 watt sound system - 14x3 open element - 80 Series Flowmaster - muffler turndowns - Poly transmission mount - Future 12 second street car

88 TransAm GTA - WS6 - red with grey cloth - K&N Filters - TPIS Airfoil - Wonder Bar - Future Restoration
Old 07-12-2001, 10:51 PM

a kidney maybe.......not one of my nuts, i still have my life ahead of me........
Old 07-12-2001, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Interested, and as everyone else has already stated in one form or another the overall fit and finish would be the determining factor, though price and a ballpark figure of the overall price shipped would greatly aid all our decisions about buying this hood. I've been eyeballing hoods for quite some time and this is my favorite design to date. I'll be watching and listening.
Old 07-15-2001, 04:49 PM

You have to make sacrifices for the things you really want..... |
|
? 0

------------------
91 Camaro RS - Black with red tweed - t-tops - 700 watt sound system - 14x3 open element - 80 Series Flowmaster - muffler turndowns - Poly transmission mount - Future 12 second street car

88 TransAm GTA - WS6 - red with grey cloth - K&N Filters - TPIS Airfoil - Wonder Bar - Future Restoration
Old 07-17-2001, 01:09 PM

Sweet looking hood, would have to change my name as she wouldn't be a sleeper with that hood, but it is a small price to pay.. Count me in on one for sure, please get in contact as to what you need for deposit etc... try ctrolitsch@yahoo.com. Much thanks...
Old 07-18-2001, 01:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
is Jongbloed an actual style hood scoop, or is it something custom that you made? how high is the cowl? i like the width of it, but i don't really like how the sides curve. i think it would look bada$$ to have the cowl be 4" and the sides go straight up instead of being curved.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 IROC Convt
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I like the width of it, but i don't really like how the sides curve. i think it would look bada$$ to have the cowl be 4" and the sides go straight up instead of being curved.</font>
My EXACT thought!!
I did this quick photoshop'ing of my 'vert a good while back of how I'd love to have a hood. I would prefer it without the inserts though!

Ken

------------------
Bright red 86 Iroc-Z Choo Choo Customs Convertible
17x9.5 TT II's w/ 275/40x17's, BMR stb, Lakewood APR, Jamex 1.5" Lowering Springs

ChevyKen's Cars (ALL new!!)

Administrator @ ChevyWorld.net (Now in a BRAND NEW Design)
Old 07-18-2001, 12:08 PM

After the mold is made and payed for, will they continue to produce these hoods or is this a limited production thing? I really want one, but don't have the $ at the moment.
I love the curved sides!!!!!!! I hate that sharp 90 degree angle on most cowl hoods, it just doesn't go with the body lines of the car. I do agree it could be a little taller, but I'm not complaining. I could always have it raised a couple inches by a custom shop later.

I am very interested.

------------------
89 RS 350 TBI auto Hooker SC/LT headers Open element 3in K&N CVT protorque mini-starter

Daily driver 91 RS auto LO3 63k

New project- 89 Formula 350 WS6
383 or 400 to come!
Old 07-18-2001, 01:13 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
so, is there a mold being made? or is this just talk? is there an update? im sure you wouldnt have a problem selling 5 eventually or immeadiatly

[This message has been edited by snflupigus (edited July 18, 2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
I like ChevyKen's version better without the curved sides.

------------------
1992 Camaro RS
5.0L- All stock until I save up some money.
My 1992 RS
Old 07-18-2001, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
yeah, chevy kens photoshopped hood looks like almost exactly what i want. maybe want it a little bigger, like a 4" cowl height. and yes definately without the louvered inserts.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:23 PM

Different strokes for different folks I guess,the whole reason I want the hood is it has the curved sides.It is basicly a stock looking hood with a raised center section.The only thing I don't like about it but can live with is the large creese(SP) that runs through the center.

------------------
92RS
Old 07-18-2001, 07:50 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">is Jongbloed an actual style hood scoop, or is it something custom that you made?</font>
Jongbloed is the name of the company that made the hood in the mid-late 80's. They also made a series of road racing wheels. They have been out of business for at least a few years, so making a new mold is the only way to duplicate it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">After the mold is made and payed for, will they continue to produce these hoods or is this a limited production thing?</font>
They will continue to be available once the mold is made. The mold will be made as soon as there are a minimum of 5 people committed enough to getting one that they send in deposits to the company that'll be doing the work. FAST LiFE is the one in contact with the company, so he'll be the one to let you know who to call about sending in deposits.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">so, is there a mold being made? or is this just talk? is there an update? im sure you wouldnt have a problem selling 5 eventually or immeadiatly</font>
I agree they would sell, but it's not my call. They won't do it without 5 deposits in their hands unless I'm willing to cough up a couple of thousand dollars to have them make the mold. (Sorry, but I'm already giving up having a virtualy one of a kind hood to do this, I can't see spending my money to do it.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The only thing I don't like about it but can live with is the large creese(SP) that runs through the center.</font>
That's the only thing I don't like about it too. If we get a consensus on that we could bring that up when the mold is made, perhaps they could eliminate it.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:52 PM

just thought i would say so, i like the curved sides, i think that 90deg corners dont really belong on an aerodynamic car such as ours.

as for the guys that want one with the 90deg sides, get out some nibblers, cut your lines on your stock hood, get some sheet metal a mig and some bondo, and it could be done in a day + plus paint. curves however, would take lots of glass and experience.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:02 PM

I want to apologize for leaving you guys hanging. It’s kind of hard when I live up in Northern Cali and Andy and the place that will do the mold is in Southern Cali. I just got home from a business trip so that complicates things more. I’ll be getting in touch with my contact at R2AutoDesign tomorrow about what the exact costs will be and when this can get started. As soon as I get in touch with my contact, he’ll basically get together with Andy and take it from there, since he too is based in Southern Cali.
As far as deviations from the original design of the hood, I really can’t say what can and cannot be done. That’s something that has to be taken up with R2AutoDesigns.
I’m going through all this just to get a copy of the hood made for myself. I don’t get a chance to frequent the boards, but if you have specific questions you want answered right away, feel free to e-mail me.
I really want this project to move forward since I myself don’t have three thousand dollars to spend for a mold, but it does take time since some coordination with different parties are involved and because R2AutoDesign is involved in other projects also. For all that’s interesting in making this project work, thanks for your patience.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:46 PM

Car: 92RS
Engine: 357
Transmission: 700R4
The crease down the middle blends into the crease on the nose.I think it makes the hood look like it belongs with the car, not just some cheap add on.I think it should be reproduced as is.Its beautiful just the way it is.It probably makes the hood stronger also.I'm intrested in a reproduction of the original as is, but need to know specific $ and also ball park shipping cost to Iowa.
Old 07-20-2001, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

I would do it if:

it would bolt on for 275.00 or use the latches for 375.00 - 425.00 tops
Old 07-21-2001, 09:11 AM

I believe the reason we are all interested in this hood, is precisely because it is this hood. If we were to beg and plead to change it too a "Four Inch, abrupt edged, non-creased" hood, then we'd essentially get the same hood as Harwood and Unlimited and other such companies sell. The purpose is to get this hood as is, that's why I'm interesed and have been following it ever since I first saw the hood months back. Just my 2cents...Take care all
Old 07-21-2001, 01:32 PM

Car: 92RS
Engine: 357
Transmission: 700R4
Amen
Old 07-21-2001, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

I like the crease.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:16 PM

I like the hood the way it is with the exception of the crease down the center...

what is the hood going to be made out of ?? fiberglass ???

im interested in buying one if i knew a price...

------------------
Arthur-
1985 IROC Restoration In Progress
http://www.thirdgenfbody.com/projiroc/
Member # 98 of The Las Vegas F-Body Association
www.lvfbody.com
Old 07-21-2001, 07:55 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what is the hood going to be made out of ?? fiberglass ???</font>
Once the mold is made you'll have two choices. Either fiberglass, or if you have the cash, you can get it in carbon fiber.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The crease down the middle blends into the crease on the nose.</font>
It's "peakier" than the crease on the stock hoods actually. In any case it'll most likely be an exact clone. It definitely won't be changed in it's basic shape, it'll have the curved sides.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:18 AM

you guys can always sand down the crease a bit if you freak bout it, or take it off i bet the glass will be thick enough.

lets us know.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
Bill Jongbloed
1 Jungle One Way
Hurley NM
505 538-5369
FAX 505 534-0458

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching."
Old 08-04-2001, 03:18 PM

does that mean he still makes the hood?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redcamaro83:
Bill Jongbloed
1 Jungle One Way
Hurley NM
505 538-5369
FAX 505 534-0458

</font>

------------------
92RS
Old 08-04-2001, 04:10 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black_Widdow:
I would give my left nut for that hood.

</font>
I doubt that anyone would trade you that hood for your left nut.

------------------
Jeremy
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows,MacEwen Overlays
Coming soon...non red interior with 4th gen charcoal/grey seats
Old 08-04-2001, 10:44 PM

but it never hurts to try...
really though, when are we going to be able to buy this hood?

------------------

Old 08-04-2001, 11:43 PM

Has any one tried calling the #? I would but I don't want to be the hundreth person to call some dude that probably has nothing to do with the hood.lol
Old 08-06-2001, 10:23 PM
Banned

wish I had money for one
Old 08-07-2001, 07:06 PM

I doubt that anyone would trade you that hood for your left nut.

Actually, I'd like dibs on BOTH the nuts.. and whatever might be above them....

------------------
86 Camaro SC

[This message has been edited by CamaroChick (edited August 07, 2001).]
Old 08-07-2001, 07:51 PM

My nuts aren't for trade, but my money is. How much?

------------------
Jeff
92 Camaro V6, mods: K&N, modified air box, JET chip 2,Dynomax Cat & Cat Back Systemwww.camarors.4t.com
Old 08-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
Whats the price gonna be and when, I may be interested in putting a deposit on one in about a month.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:17 PM

Howdy folks, has anyone heard anything more about this hood/project lately? Anyone called to see what's up? I've been working 13 hour and up days lately so I haven't had time to even check what's been said on here for a while. And, like everyone else, any info would be much appreciated in this matter. Later all...
Old 08-23-2001, 11:33 PM

I have no idea what's going on with it. I haven't heard from FASTLiFE in quite a while. (He's the one organizing this deal) A few guys have mentioned that you e-mailed him and haven't heard back, so I really have no idea what's up.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:15 PM

Just trying to keep the topic alive, I'm very interested, anybody have any info??

------------------
89 RS parts car

383 or 400 to come!
Old 09-07-2001, 12:03 PM

Just some info, I emailed the place that's supposed to be making the hood about a week ago, and there is still no response.

I don't think this deal is going through.

------------------
89 RS parts car

383 or 400 to come!
Old 09-07-2001, 12:41 PM

we just need to get enuf people to keep botherin them till it does go through. They prolly dont wanna go through with it because they dont think they will sell, but if we show that there is alot of interest maybe it will persuade them to through with it

------------------
87 GTA 350 TPI
Mods: K&N Air Filter, New rocker arms, Stage III chip.
Next Mods in line: Exhaust, headers
http://www.geocities.com/rudys120/transam.html
Kills:
Nissa 300zx (dont think it was turbo)
87 Mustang 5.0,
89 Mustang 5.0 (modded)
?? Iroc
00-01? Jaguar driven buy 85 yr old guy
Too many ricers to count......
Old 09-07-2001, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

email me the companies site...
Old 09-08-2001, 08:05 AM

Ya, I think maybe someone ought to put up their website address, and e-mail address on this post so folks like me who are too lazy or busy to dig for it and just click and comment. LOL Take care all

Quick Reply: Who's interested in a Jongbloed cowl induction hood?