Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Repo Fenders & Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc, '87 Iroc Vert
Engine: 350 TPI, 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 in both
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.45 both LSD's
Repo Fenders & Hoods

Hi all. I am in the progress of restoring my Iroc back to greatness. I need new fenders and a new hood. I am leaning towards Classic Industries for the sheet metal and other products. Is there really a major/big difference between Repo Fenders and OE?? Same about hoods. I jave been really disapointed with used quality. Esp. Ebay. Just curious, if I can save some money.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans Am
Engine: chevy 350
Transmission: 700R4
there is a thread about the same subject someone posted a while back and there is a bunch of info that could give you an idea, if you use the search you'll find it.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:14 PM

Here you go: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=239593

- 89_IROC

PS: I'm going with OEM parts simply because I don't want to save a few bucks only to find that the panels don't QUITE line up properly. My IROC is 'no holds barred' when it comes to money, though.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys. Just ta let you know, I did do a search. I could not find info on repo fenders vs. OE or reporduction fenders or hoods or anything. I tried to expand the search, but come on, who has time to scan through lame headings like repair or replace for reproduction info. I was hoping that this had been covered before a little more clearly and indepth.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by OneBadZ4U
who has time to scan through lame headings like repair or replace for reproduction info.
Yeah, I hear ya. I should've titled that thread more appropriately

- 89_IROC
Old 09-20-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans Am
Engine: chevy 350
Transmission: 700R4
heres a searching tip,on the bottom left always select "search thread titles only," best way to avoid thread that have nothing to do with what your searching for.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:33 PM

89_IROC_98U. Sorry. I wasn't trying to bust your chops. I was just trying to make a point to the first reply. If ya ain't gonna help, Then don't reply.
I appreciate your link to your thread. That was very helpful. I have started to look it over. I am sure it has useful info.

Thanks Again.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by OneBadZ4U
If ya ain't gonna help, Then don't reply.
My thread was started with my benefit in mind - I was looking for responses to questions that I wanted to know the answers to. Ergo, it was titled appropriately and it was also started in the appropriate section (History/Restoration). I could also have started it in Body and Interior; you would have found it rather quickly had you browsed both of those sections.

I'm glad if it gives another member some useful information, but that isn't its primary purpose. That's what stickies are for.

This probably wasn't overly helpful, but I replied anyway.

- 89_IROC
Old 09-21-2004, 06:29 AM

Not to be redundant, but you have been helpful. I read through your thread have seen a different path. A few years back, I had a problem with my hood latch. As with most latches, mine did not always lock tight/closed. I filled up my gas, checked the oil and shut the hood. I thought it was closed. I drove a short bit and wam. The hood poped straight up. The corners of the hood dented the tops of my fenders. Safe to say the hood was toast. My dad lived in WVA across from a salvage yard. The yard had an 87 Iroc, the same color as mine. I bought the whole front clip for $300. The nose was great, the fenders were so-so and the hood was crap. The parts have worked ok until now. I am ready to make my car pretty again. I think, because of your thread, I am going to take my original fenders(which I saved) and repair/straighten them again. The damage wasn't that bad, but at the time it felt worse. I think I am going to spring for an OE Iroc hood. So indeed, - 89_IROC, you have been helpful.

Thank You.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:24 PM

Are you going for a restoration, or are you simply maintaining the body? I'm having my passenger fender, which is the original sheet metal, repaired because I can't get a new one through my dealer anymore. I'll be taking pictures of the damage as well as the VIN sticker for documentation purposes.

I have considered going for an OEM fender from YearOne, Hawk's, or another restoration place, but I'm still not sure; I get a hefty discount from the parts counter guys at my local dealer, so I'm not sure that I want to put up at least $300 for an OEM fender. The flip side of the coin is that my original has already been repaired at least once, so I need to find out if repairs can be made that will not be visible...or at least as invisible as possible. Maybe the $300 or more would be a worthwhile investment for a new, undamaged fender. It's decisions like this that irritate me

- 89_IROC

PS - I apologize for my earlier post; it was late last night and I was under a lot of pressure already. No hard feelings.