Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4" Cowl hood - Fiberglass or steel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
4" Cowl hood - Fiberglass or steel?

Hi all.
-I been looking at a Glastek 4" fiberglass bolt-on cowl hood for 480 bucks - somewhat locally (to save on shipping charges) - but -

-I just found a Goodmark 4" steel bolt-on cowl hood for 418 bucks. I never knew till today they made a 4" Goodmark cowl steel hood - all I've ever seen are the 3".

So I know which is sturdier, but the idea of going to a heavier hood then what it had on it originally doesn't turn me on either.

My car originally had a factory fiberglass hood (which I still have) -it's a '83 HO model. I need the cowl because my air cleaner sits just a bit...ahem.. higher now.
-lol

I know I'll at least need heavier struts if I go with the steel one. How bad do the aftermarket 'glass hoods shake on the highway? My stock 'glass hood seemed more sturdy then any of the aftermarket glass cowls I've seen, but I've never owned one. I plan only to "race" the car maybe on test-n-tune days, nothing serious, so it'll see way more street time. But I don't want a hood that'll "wave" at me while I'm driving around...

-So how do you guys with a aftermarket glass cowl hood have any problems with them? Would YOU get the steel one instead if you could do it over??

Last edited by Confuzed1; 08-06-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 4" Cowl hood - Fiberglass or steel?

I have the 3 inch Steel Goodmark Hood on mine right now, with the best hood mounts and it still shakes a bit. more so on the hilly, bumpy roads around here, but then i hit some bumps, you can see the scoop move a good amount. if it is a smooth road or highway though, the air flow doesnt move it around enough to even notice it, if at all. so if you dont mind the extra weight, go with steel... you will be happier. i had a really good looking 'glass one on it and when i wrecked, the steel one would have been fine, but the 'glass one split apart.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears

My factory 82 hood was that composite hood. Think it's lighter than the Harwood bolt on 3 inch cowl I got, but didn't seem like by much. Both hoods I was able to take off and put on by myself. As for fluttering in the wind, never noticed any.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

ive got a 4 inch cowl from good mark and honestly its not that much heavier then my old hood ( it was a steel one with the split fake scoop) i haven't noticed alot of shaking on the highway and lemme tell ya the fit is awesome here she is its just been rebuilt after my accident so theres no gfx or paint just primer
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 chevy camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: turbo 350 2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 detroit locker posi

i have a 4inch glasstek hood. i love it. i use the stock hood props and have no issues with having it bow or put to much pressure on it.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Hey thanks all! Seems like my post sat a week with no responses, then last night - BAM!

I should have mentioned, I did do a search and just wanted opinions on what everyone would do in my particular situation since I started with a factory composite hood, not a steel one. Heck, if I started w/ a steel one, I'd most likely get the Goodmark hood...since I wouldn't be gaining any weight.

Nugget2109 - I'm suprised to hear the steel one shakes at all! I'm sure the steel one would fare better in a wreck, but with any luck I won't be doing that!

EvilCartman - Thanks for the reply, you know where I'm coming from since you had a composite hood too. I lifted my buddy's cowl hood and it seemed heavier to me too, but as you said - not by much.

Brennan - Nice pic! - And the hood looks great. You did the bodywork yourself? Should look nice once you paint it.

billybob6110 - Glad to hear you like the Glasstek hood, even though it's more $$ than the Goodmark (don't know why)....I'm still leaning towards it. Did you install hood pins on yours? I know they recommend it.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89' T/A, 00' Firehawk
Engine: 406 Roller
Transmission: TH700R4 w/2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Confuzed,

Hey man. Hows your 400 running? I had problems with mine again but should be back on the road this week. I am looking for a hood too. I didn't know they made a 4 in steel hood. I don't know if I am wanting to go that big or not.

Do you have any pics of the hood?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

yesir me and dad did all the work in the garage over about a month its hard to find time to get at it but the hood is new and the fender is new and the other fender had a small dent in the corner we fixed there was two holes rusted under the gfx and we fixed those also you can see some before and after pictures on my car domain its not really in depth cuz i forget to take pictures but i would recomend the goodmark anyday fits like a glove although ive never delt with the glasstek hood so my oppinion my be biased a little lol
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 chevy camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: turbo 350 2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 detroit locker posi

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
Hey thanks all! Seems like my post sat a week with no responses, then last night - BAM!

I should have mentioned, I did do a search and just wanted opinions on what everyone would do in my particular situation since I started with a factory composite hood, not a steel one. Heck, if I started w/ a steel one, I'd most likely get the Goodmark hood...since I wouldn't be gaining any weight.

Nugget2109 - I'm suprised to hear the steel one shakes at all! I'm sure the steel one would fare better in a wreck, but with any luck I won't be doing that!

EvilCartman - Thanks for the reply, you know where I'm coming from since you had a composite hood too. I lifted my buddy's cowl hood and it seemed heavier to me too, but as you said - not by much.

Brennan - Nice pic! - And the hood looks great. You did the bodywork yourself? Should look nice once you paint it.

billybob6110 - Glad to hear you like the Glasstek hood, even though it's more $$ than the Goodmark (don't know why)....I'm still leaning towards it. Did you install hood pins on yours? I know they recommend it.

Thanks again everyone!
ya i use hood pins
Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: Vortec 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 non posi

I have the 4 inch glasstek. My only complaint is that the nuts for addatching the hood to the hood hinges fell off so I had to put my own in there. But I cant complain since I got it new for $125
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89' T/A, 00' Firehawk
Engine: 406 Roller
Transmission: TH700R4 w/2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Does anyone have a pic of a 87-89 T/A with a Ram Air 1 hood? I have seen them on formula's and older T/A's but thats it.

Thanks.

oh i found one. It looks freakin sweet!

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...-100_0185a.jpg

Last edited by LilJayV10; 08-12-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

personally, i have a daytona hood on my iroc and never see it rattle or sway in the wind. i think it is a 3.5" cowl. not sure

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exte...o-daytona.html

theres a hood like mine.
i took "chicken fence" and put it in the vents on the side. its kind of like a mesh grille on the sides and gives it some personality and makes it look more like a factory job
its glassed in on the inside

Last edited by RED_DRAGON_85; 08-12-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Hey all!

LilJayV10 - DUDE, what's up man!! I haven't heard from you in a while! Thought you were giving up on thirdgens for some reason....so far as my car, I've since changed everything up and have not started it yet. It's been torn down yet again and I added SRP forged pistons, gapless rings , bearings etc... and a Edelbrock E-force roots blower (AKA Magna-Charger MP 122), hence the need for a 4" cowl hood! Between family issues and working 12 hour rotating shifts at work, it's been a slower process than I'd like. Should have it running for break-in in the next couple of weeks. This is truly my last mod for the car, I need to paint it and call it done after this. How's your 400 treating you nowadays? Hope you got your oil issue straightened out. PM me anytime - glad to see you're still around!

Brennan - Looks like you and your Dad do good work! Ever get hard up for $$, I got a project you and your pops can work on! lol -I don't have the patience (or skill) for bodywork...mechanical stuff only for me!

Frozer!!! - Got any more of those 125 dollar Glasstek hoods??? I wouldn't care if the bolt holes are stripped...for that price, you can't lose!

RED_DRAGON_85 - I love the Daytona hoods, but sadly, I don't think a 3.5" hood would clear with my setup.