Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?

A majority of us are actually redoing the PO's mistakes and in my case yes my friend did some artistic body work, traditionally if there is a problem we fix it not just put a boo boo sticker on it and romp the thing. That band aid mentality is why 90% of us are back tracking and fixing problems because if you know you're the one who created the issue, you'd know how to fix it unless you're too lazy to do so.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Black GTA, T-tops, digital dash
Engine: 5.7 TPI w/custom chip
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 327 posi

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
Do u have a picture of the wire through the radiator? A must see.
I know man, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Car: 91 CAMARO RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: AUTOMATIC

I have read some really bad things on here, and I would have been pissed. I especially feel bad for the people that were lied to in beleiving there car was better of than it was, when purchasing. That hurts the worse, to pay for something better than what you actually have.
In response to what I was saying was to not get the attention of all the posters, but to the few that are "saying it was the PO" as to not claim it, or to the ones reading these post that wont post, because it was them who did it. Just humor. Anyhow I would never sell my car, im going to drive it tell it dies and use it as a donor. I would never sell or give a vehicle, any vehicle to someone without fixing problems or properly informing the person, thats just me. I would tolerate some, of the last "PO"s blunders if it gets me a good ride for cheap. As for my blunders there mine and will stay that way. Some things cant ever be a ghetto fix, some of these post are scary retarded fixes.
I guess my post should be under "ghetto things you have done" not "found done to you car". Like the time I got a flat and tried to put one of the front rim/tires in the back. Was all good until I started to drive. I could not for the life of me figure why GM would do such a thing, it still makes me wonder. Im sure theres a good reason.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM

This is a little off topic, but this thread has really got me thinking. I am in the process of making my wrongs, right. I have also learned alot from this site and have performed some of the popular and "accepted" mods that are posted on here. My concern here is the word "electrical"and "hack" are used ALOT on here and it seems to be a touchy subject. Now like I said im trying to make good of my bads, and dont want to create any more bads. I am wiring some things under the hood, cleaning up and not using some wiring(smog sys). I have notice GM uses crimps with solder, and even duct tape, and also splices wires in to others. I have also notice a crazy grounding system(3 wire colors, and alot of splicing), and a stupid wanna be inline fuse system(no offense). Anyhow what would be the proper procedure to connect to wires together as not to ever be considered a ghetto fix. I thought my ele. was modest, but reading on here makes me want to do better. Funny thing is though I hear alot of the bad, but havnt seen pict of it done right. A reference to something on here would work since its off thread. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Car: '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 carbed.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 4.11's

IMHO, there are two ways of splicing a wire "properly" (as there is no such thing as a perfect way to patch a wire)

In both cases: get a hold of som heat shrinkable tubing. In the normally dry areas of the car (interior and so on), normal heat schrink will do. When working in the engine bay, around the lights and so on, really anywhere where moisture is encountered, you want the heat schrinkable tubing with hot glue on the inside. (this stuff is often used to splice cables in the ground, though in larger sizes)

1: thread the plastic tubing onto the wire ( you have no idea how easy this is to forget)

2a: solder the wires. soldering is a perfectly good alternative.

2b: use non-insulated tinned copper sleeves and an appropriate crimping tool.
no, not the cheap pre-insulated ones. they provide poor support against vibrations, and almost no moisture protection.

3: shrink the plastic tubing. take care to not heat things that should not be heated.

Splicing in areas with alot of motion is not recommended (example: door jamb). Here it's better to cut the wire in both ends, make two good splices, keeping the wire inside the moving area in one piece.

Just to stay on topic: PO of my car had in his own words "cleaned up the engine bay". Translation: cut every wire that seemed not to have a function there and then down to the harness.

Yay, that was a fun one to clean up..
Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Camarogeddon
IMHO, there are two ways of splicing a wire "properly" (as there is no such thing as a perfect way to patch a wire)

In both cases: get a hold of som heat shrinkable tubing. In the normally dry areas of the car (interior and so on), normal heat schrink will do. When working in the engine bay, around the lights and so on, really anywhere where moisture is encountered, you want the heat schrinkable tubing with hot glue on the inside. (this stuff is often used to splice cables in the ground, though in larger sizes)

1: thread the plastic tubing onto the wire ( you have no idea how easy this is to forget)

2a: solder the wires. soldering is a perfectly good alternative.

2b: use non-insulated tinned copper sleeves and an appropriate crimping tool.
no, not the cheap pre-insulated ones. they provide poor support against vibrations, and almost no moisture protection.

3: shrink the plastic tubing. take care to not heat things that should not be heated.

Splicing in areas with alot of motion is not recommended (example: door jamb). Here it's better to cut the wire in both ends, make two good splices, keeping the wire inside the moving area in one piece.

Just to stay on topic: PO of my car had in his own words "cleaned up the engine bay". Translation: cut every wire that seemed not to have a function there and then down to the harness.

Yay, that was a fun one to clean up..
Thanks for the reply, I need to find that heat shrink tubing with the glue. Where do you get it, whats it called?
The wires im not using I rolled up and tucked.
Where GM has 2wires going in to 1wire, they put duct tape over the connection.
I can imagine a post on here "the PO put duct tape over there crimps".
The amount of splicing GM did with the grounds is insanity, you would have to pull everything to find the problem. Weird.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 PM

Car: 1988 CAMARO RS, 312.000+ miles
Engine: 406ci SBC, msd ignition
Transmission: BW T5, hurst short throw shifter.
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9 bolt

When I bought my car from my friend he informed me that the camaro had once had been in a accident, and this was also the way he got the car to. The driver side door and fender were replaced. but there was severe structual damage to the car that was not fixed. The lower driverside hinge has two 1/2 inch spacers to help line up the door to the fender. The door seal along the kick panel has been built up with black rtv to fill the gap to cut down the wind noise. The dome light switch had a wine cork stuck on the switch because with the door closed the light would stay on. It also has a cheap white paint job that is flaking off more every day.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 PM

Car: 85 Trans am
Engine: 350 carbed
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt rear disk

Originally Posted by dnd_perf
well the 87 iroc i bought off of craigslist, the PO left the distributor loose and had hacked up the fan wiring and just ran a wire from the fuse panel ( just stuffed the end of the wire into a slot) to the fans
Had the exact same thing done on mine. along with the fuel pump the distributor. and just about anything else. the hvac wireing was a mess and had to swap to a carbed tank/dizzy/intake because the tpi was so borked.

Hole cut for fuel pump. but atleast made an attempt to reweld it. by the time im done i think i could have done a full frame off restoration and came out ahead.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 AM

I once rolled a tbird we turned it back over on its wheels 2 were flat took them and refilled with air put oil back in the car smashed the windshield completly out took a jack and a 2x4 and jacked the roof up and drove home
Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc Z28/ 1982 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI IP/ 305 CFI
Transmission: T-56/ 300C
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by diverdave
I once rolled a tbird we turned it back over on its wheels 2 were flat took them and refilled with air put oil back in the car smashed the windshield completly out took a jack and a 2x4 and jacked the roof up and drove home

Absolute Win
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Tuned Port Injection, for now.
Axle/Gears: Posi - 3.23

Originally Posted by diverdave
now that's a ghettofied classic. Thumbs up bro. 100 cool points to you

Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am SE
Engine: 305 Carb
Transmission: Stock Auto Transmission
Axle/Gears: Stock

A bud of mine bought a '63 bascyane(?) and found out that under the carpet on the drivers side in the front, someone had patched a hole by pop riveting a cookie sheet on. pretty dang sketchy, even if you had never looked there and all of a sudden the floor give way when driving, that would be a scary event!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 2.8l V6
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I went to change out the tail light bulbs and the wiring on my other Firebird and found out that the previous owner had the trunk motor held together by vice grips, zip ties, and what looked like gorilla glue. I got a good laugh at that
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 AM

had to zip tie my shift cables in till i got a new one hahaha
Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 4:10

ok on my camaro i had to rewire most the entire engine bay of the car from scratch. ive seen a coil wire hard wired to the battery where you just pop the hood and twist the wires together when you want to go. roofing tar on rusty floor pans( this one was me) silicone on many different parts, from drain plugs to transfer cases. some tied a shock mount from the frame to the mount with rope. rags stuck in valve covers, ive seen the old fuel pump access panel. vise grips on brake lines.caulked down sun roofs. a neon light wired in in place of the inside light (actually good job and pretty cool) wiring held together with bubble gum or duct tape. and much more
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LG4
Transmission: One that shifts hella hard

The most ghetto thing on mine is the paint job... With the valance stripes on my 82 berlinetta that are really hard to find, the paint job has strips of clear c oat missing on base coat because they simply masked off the stripes and painted over them
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z and 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 V8 and 5.0 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by vengetta82
The most ghetto thing on mine is the paint job... With the valance stripes on my 82 berlinetta that are really hard to find, the paint job has strips of clear c oat missing on base coat because they simply masked off the stripes and painted over them
I went to see this camaro for sale not to long ago that had strips of tape on the hood to simulate stripes. Some people!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM

muffler partially fell down by catilic converter, was tired of hearing it scrape against speed bumps and stuff. So I cut it the rest of the way off, it was really loud way louder than I thought it would be. Had to wait about two weeks to get it fixed. Everyone thought I was trying to race them. There was a car show in town at the time and on the way home a really nice/really fast monti carlo blew my doors off thinking I wanted to race.That car was scary fast almost lifting of the ground at 65 mph. It was embarresing got it fixed the next day after that.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

I did it. I confess to my ghetto actions. I was tired of pulling out the "Big Stick." My uncle let me borrow the whole shaft of a shovel. So every time I would work under the hood, I would have the stick out. My little brother told me to cut out some thin tubing and cut a slot down the middle. So I did just that and now I saved around $34. Dont get me wrong though. I will revert to brand new hood lifts. Money is extremely tight right now.
Attached Thumbnails What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?-hood-lift-assist.jpg   What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?-hood-lift-assist-2.jpg   What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?-hood-lift-assist-3.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: 355 chev
Transmission: none at the time
Axle/Gears: stock 10bolt v6 gears

the most ghetto thing done to my car.. was this! ahh

just priming the engine bay! hah
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM

Car: 1986 firebird trans am
Engine: Crate 350 4bbl holly carb
Transmission: turbo 350
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt 4.55 posi

seeing theres a buch of ghetto things done to our cars through out the years what about the red neck things people do to cars. well i was looking at cars on google images and i saw a 1989 firebird body on a truck frame lifted around 6 inchs in the air with 42 i think its pretty cool what do you guys think?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by belowfire
seeing theres a buch of ghetto things done to our cars through out the years what about the red neck things people do to cars. well i was looking at cars on google images and i saw a 1989 firebird body on a truck frame lifted around 6 inchs in the air with 42 i think its pretty cool what do you guys think?

You dont see a IROC-Z with Mustang rims. You'll never see a Mustang with a Firebirds OEM rims. You'll never see a pig fly,,,,,, Wait a minute. We did have a global event,,, swine flu. But the pigs never left the ground..... My point is a 3rd Gen was made for a sporty look with the muscle to take on the Mustang in its time period, not for off roading...... Catch my drift? Nuf said. Besides, It's a lift kit on a 3rd Gen, not a 3rd gen body on a truck frame, although there are a handfull with a swapped out axles applications for 4x4 capabilities.

Last edited by Chevy86 IROC-Z; 12-15-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

All these 3rd gen owners deserve a .

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Car: 1992 Mazda Miata (Temporary)
Engine: 1.6 I-4
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: Posi

Mine came with a 2x4 to hold the hatch up, but other than that, not much else. The running side light wiring had been ripped out, also.
One of the headlights was swapped with a new one, but the other three left the same.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 305

The white car in the mud is a second gen, not a third gen.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 PM

Car: '89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27

While in the midst of swapping out my throttle cable I found that someone bypassed the VATS and used a wire nut to put them together with another red wire. That red wire was to power an aftermarket radio.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Awesome-X
The white car in the mud is a second gen, not a third gen.
I know that. Should I proof read my other 2000+ posts to satisfy you
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6

I did something somewhat ghetto lol
I had lost the **** to my radio, i still dont know how, and i had a remote for the radio, but it flew out the window in a walgreens parking lot lol
so i took a spray can tip, and cut it and shoved it on the metal piece that holds the ****.
its still holding up like a champ
Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 AM

Engine: 305

Nope, just making sure you know what a third gen looks like.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Awesome-X
Nope, just making sure you know what a third gen looks like.
I know what it looks like. Look at my footer.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Car: not a camaro anymore

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
But the ****ing dumb*** left the compressor (this alone weighs about 30 - 40 pounds and would probably technically add the equivalent of a horse or two), and get this, had left the V belt ON the compressor, which defeated the entire purpose
reverse water pump u have to have something for the belt to go around. cant shortbelt it. thts why they also have 20 ac delete pullys
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: No
Transmission: No
Axle/Gears: No

Originally Posted by bduffey723
reverse water pump u have to have something for the belt to go around. cant shortbelt it. thts why they also have 20 ac delete pullys
You don't need a delete pulley with v-belts, and his water pump isn't reverse rotation.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM

hmm srry got it mixed up
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Car: 87 GTA flame red
Engine: 5.7 l98 cranes 2032 and chip
Transmission: stage 10 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 axle

a little string draped over the rear seats to pop the hatch
Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Red 87 GTA
im curious to how exactly that works
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: Built 312
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by bduffey723
im curious to how exactly that works
Similar to a tampon. Yum yum!

LOL J/K!

I think I can visualize how that jury rigged the string hatch arrangement. It better be a much stronger string than what I use for shoelaces, otherwise one pull and it's done dealing.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Engine: 305 LG4 (H)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by HawkZ28
Similar to a tampon. Yum yum!

I also realized on my beater he took out one high beam lamp for his "cold air intake". Gotta love the fact that GM already did that, but managed to sneak in two high beam lamps!

Originally Posted by chevysurfer
Anyhow I would never sell my car, im going to drive it tell it dies and use it as a donor.
Thats why I love being a mechanic, my cars NEVER "die". The only thing that is really unfixable to some extent is rust....
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Red 87 GTA
Where's the picture of the rig? At least a drawing. I just rebuilt my pull down hatch and I know the mechanism. There r 3 ways to pop the hatch. One is with the electric solenoid and the secondary key solenoid which is attached to a cable surrounded by a hard plastic. Both of these methods unlock the latch by pushing a lever inside the lock assembly. There is no way to tie or attack string to this lever because it has very little area or such material to tie the string. Plus if it was attached, you would need a pulley to pull the lever because it only moves sideways. So to pull towards the front of the car is like saying go forward but the car goes sideways. The other method is by using a shaft which turns the cylinder inside the assembly. I think your claim is far fetched and untrue unless you can prove me wrong.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Car: 84 Camaro Z/28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 Spd
Axle/Gears: 4.10

mine came with a baseball bat to hold up the hood and hatch and the tail end of the exhaust is held up with clothes hangers and instead of proper weatherstripping they used some sort of door weather seal, the foam type.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Originally Posted by Krase
mine came with a baseball bat to hold up the hood and hatch and the tail end of the exhaust is held up with clothes hangers and instead of proper weatherstripping they used some sort of door weather seal, the foam type.
That's funny because my hood struts are only about 7 years old (I guess it's time to replace them again ) and they require my old aluminum bat to hold up the hood when it's cold outside.

My buddy installed his fart can using baling wire as well as his chicken wire fence material in the GFX of his Daytona as well... Needless to say all of that crap got yanked when I got my hands on that car.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Guys, read post 769. I used a little metal tube to hold up my hood. You can also use small PVC pipe with a notch cut out to fit it on the shock just like in my picts in post 769. Just paint it black so that it won't be notice able. Sure beats a baseball bat!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

That's okay, but the baseball bat is free (unless the guy above me paid for his at some point). Money is tight here too. However, soon enough, I won't have to worry about it because there won't be a hood on the car . Of course, when all is said and done, the hood and hatch struts will be replaced (again). Only reason I need a bat to hold up the hatch now is because there isn't a body mount for the passenger's side hatch strut at the moment (no quarter panel ).
Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Car: 84 Camaro Z/28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 Spd
Axle/Gears: 4.10

haha nah i didnt have to pay for the bat, i was lucky enough that it was included in the purchase, but i do need it because all of the hood and hatch struts are shot, sometimes they work when its warm out though...?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Car: 1985 Z28/1981 Z28
Engine: 85 383 stroker/81 350
Transmission: 85 fortes tko 600 /81 turbo 350
Axle/Gears: G P ford 9" in proces

I CURRENLY HAVE A 1X2 HOLDING UP MY TRUNK BUT LIKE KATSCAM POSTED I WILL BE UPGRADING TO A SMALL PAIR OF VICE GRIPS LOT MORE CLASSY
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

RS with aftermarket IROC's.... Ghetto!
Name:  DSC03296.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  62.5 KB
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA Notchback
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Auto

I Just got me a 88 GTA Notchback and one of the PO redid the interior. White leather with GREEN Inserts and Green Carpet!!! To top it off he put Green Carpet on the Kick panels and all the Plastics starting at the sail panels. Im guessing it was done back in the 80's.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: 400 Smallblock

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
RS with aftermarket IROC's.... Ghetto!
Even more ghetto...my 20's in the back and 18's in the front. Along with the stainless steel chevy grill

Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

If I had to make a choice between the 2, I would choose neither. But I like your darker blue paint job!

Originally Posted by joepackersrock
Even more ghetto...my 20's in the back and 18's in the front. Along with the stainless steel chevy grill

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: Carbed 305

The previous owner of my '87 Trans Am had a few shoddy jobs done to the car.
First, the rear driver-side quarter panel is 90% covered by bondo.
Second, the speakers in the sides have 3 different gauge wires, with splitters so that smaller speakers could replace the 6x9's. Extra wires ran to small individually cased 6x9's in the back, but didn't even work. They looked like speakers meant to be used in a house.
Third, I found the car had 2 different size and type wheels, and 3 different width tires.
Fourth, there are half a dozen body pieces held on with sheetrock screws, including where the bumper meets the quarter panel where it was wrecked.
There are plenty more things I've found wrong with the car, but I figured that these 4 were an appropriate contribution to this thread. The car still drives, and I love it. That's what matters.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by joepackersrock

o.O... Thats a beautiful car minus the grill, I don't know whats ghetto about that, Only thing i would change is a different grill and z28 emblems (z28 emblems on an rs is "ghetto" in itself, but i don't like the look of "RS")

That's the only color i would ever own besides black on these cars, as well.

Quick Reply: What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?