Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Emblems that won't fall off? TG Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emblems that won't fall off? TG Camaro

Alright, so, recently the clear plastic on the hood ornament of my TG Camaro disappeared,pretty sure it was broken off, and the passengers side "RS" badge fell off the body kit in our driveway.

So, does anyone know of a decent hood ornament that won't fall apart, (I know, it's a twenty year old car, plastic separates, but this was broken off if you look closely), I don't want to repaint the car then have something like this happen again.

Also, evidently most of the badges (Again, 20 years old, old adhesive, poorly re-applied if removed at all when the car was last painted) are ready to fall off, I think hawks third gen or third gen ranch might have emblems. But I was wondering what process I should use to properly adhere them to the car?

Lastly, don't have a picture of it, but my "RS 25th anniversary" badge fell off the dash, does anyone know how to reattach it without making it look like it ever fell off? It seems this poor car has taken a beating, everything that isn't bolted on is falling off, and a lot of stuff that is bolted on is falling apart.

This poor car has had a hard life, and honestly, I'm not giving it much rest as a daily driver. I do plan on restoring this car, as evidenced, and some day I will likely rebuild the 3.1 with 3.4 heads, and a 3.4 intake, maybe use a 3.4 cam. Until then, I'm just tasked to trying to find replacements and ways to repair things which are currently broken.

And no, duct tape and super glue are not suitable.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Car: 85 Z28 & 84 Trans Am
Engine: 305 / 350
Transmission: T5 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 / 9bolt 2.77
Re: Emblems that won't fall off? TG Camaro

If you're in a pinch and have junkyards available to you, you should be able to find some 4th gen bumper emblems. They aren't held by any nut like our original ones and peel right off if they have been in the sunlight for a while. Sometimes you can use an id card or credit card to "pry" them out without bending the emblem. They aren't too solid and are fairly easy to bend if you dont take them off carefully.
You can peel the old sticky stuff and use double sided 3M tape (i got mine from walmart) to stick it back on, mine has held for several months now. The 4th gen emblems are rounded on the bottom whereas 3rd gens were more "square", so once the 4th gen emblem is on you can see the outline on the bumper where the original ones would go, some people might not totally like that but i had no problem at all with it and think it looks fine. Way better then what i had before, which was nothing.
Here's the best pic i have of it right now, i can try and take some close ups over the weekend.

Also, notice my 4th gen Z28 fender emblems. They fit perfectly into the 91-92 gfx emblem slot. I too think these look ok and also a whole lot better than what i had before (nothing!).
I also used the rear Z28 emblem (without the bowtie though) also from a 4th gen on my rear bumper, I did have to sand them down with a sanding block to make them thin enough to fit inside the original bumper "slot". I can also try to take pics of this.

Name:  washing.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  66.9 KB

This one shows the side emblems better, it's a pic I took of my 4th gen 10 bolt im swapping gears into but has a better view so you can get an idea. I am assuming the 4th gen "RS" emblems might fit also.. It wouldn't hurt trying especially if you can find them cheap.
Name:  HPIM0570.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  116.7 KB
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM

I just noticed on your bumper emblem picture that what i was talking about regarding the original emblem outline looks just like how i have mine. Since i replaced the bumper when i had the car painted, i never noticed on the old one how the original emblem looked like. So now I can confidently say the the 4th gen emblem looks much more "streamlined" and somewhat "original".
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM

My third gen is an RS, and, fourth gens are even rarer here than third gens. I saw a wrecked fourth gen I'd like to have got in Craigslist a while back. Hit in the rear quarter, 3.4, 5 speed stick, 130k original miles, I would've yanked that motor, or at least parts of it for my '92. They only wanted $1,400 for it, and that's a steal, those cars and those motors are rare and sought after.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the fender badges. Now I just need to find a punk proof hood ornament.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

I bought some really nice emblems (all new set, $75) on ebay 2 years ago - they looked great, went on my new paint really nice - was totally awesome.

BUT - even with car covered always unless in a show, they even seperated and fell apart. I just don't think there is any hope against our ozone sun.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Your car is a thirdgen, please replace the parts with 3rd gen parts or custom made parts that are designed to fit your car. Fourth gen parts are designed for the fourth gen, so let's leave them there!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Your car is a thirdgen, please replace the parts with 3rd gen parts or custom made parts that are designed to fit your car. Fourth gen parts are designed for the fourth gen, so let's leave them there!
Wow! seriously?! Now that's funny! You must not get out much huh? Or be aware of the world around you.
You must be one the the "third gen *****" i keep reading about in other message boards.
Do you know me? Who the F are you and how can you be TELLING me (or anyone else) what i parts I can and cant use on MY car? I would LOVE to hear what you have to say about my plans with this car: 4th gen 10 bolt, C6 Z06 wheels, C5 front brakes, LT1, T56, 4th gen plastic gas tank, 4th gen aluminum driveshaft, 4th gen seats... oh wait I could care less about what you think or whatever close-minded "opinions" you might have.

I was recently thinking about my low post count and that i have been following these boards since 2001-02, and it's because of persons like you that i have kept MY opinions and MY work to MYSELF for so long.

Now for ANYONE ELSE that might be interested in picking up some CAMARO emblems that wont fall off or break, and is not really interested, willing, or able to spend $30 bucks for a hood emblem or $75+ for a set, does not really care about being 100% factory original, and has access to plenty of 4th gens in yunkyards around you where these things are basically free:

Name:  HPIM0613.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  HPIM0611.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  61.1 KB

Back to Mr. whatever your name might be, PLEASE keep YOUR comments\opinions to yourself! .....How do YOU like getting told what you can and cant do!!
But anyway, you can get back to "moderating" and/or establising and enforcing your beliefs and opinions on someone else that cares about anything that comes out of your closed little brain, through your finger tips, and onto this "technical message board".

As much trash talking that i have seen go on around here for the last 10 years, I want no more part in this and I will let you respond in whichever way you please. You wont hear from me again, and you can be the "bigger" man.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Well said Alkyzgro! GM made over 800,000 of these things- we aren't driving 'numbers matched' Pebble Beach concourse entrants here! If you had a rare, all original low mileage 'as new' one, I can see keeping it stock- but my Z28 is 21 years old... Do you think it hasn't been beaten on over the years by one punk after another? MAKE IT YOUR OWN! Do what you want to it. That is what I will be doing- although some things I won't be doing: 20 inch wheels, a lift kit and any Ford parts! Apart from that, I will hotrod it any way I damn well please! He'll, my last 3rd gen had a 4th gen nose badge from RK Sports, until someone stole it! Maybe it was a 3rd gen ****...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM

I guess it's good that you keep your opinions to yourself, because the post above sounds like opinion if you ask me. I also don't think I was talking to you or telling you what to do with your piece of crap!! Chill out and grow up. You might need a few more years of growing up before you can actually post something intelligent.

No, I'm not a 3rd gen **** as you would call it. I'm all for modding the cars if that's what you want. Go ahead and put an LS1 or LS3 in your car. I bet it will run great. Put wider tires on and Z06 rims, those look great also. I'm just saying that the appearance part of the car will look so much better if the original parts, designed for the indentations, are used or custom made emblems were used. My issue is with the 4th gen emblems with a 4th gen dash, seats, console, carpet, etc. If a person wants a 4th gen, buy a 4th gen. Upgrading the seats to 4th gen seats are also fine, but leave the dash and console alone or custom build one that is different than everybody elses.

So, based on my comments, you don't know me and shouldn't be telling me how to act or how to respond to posts either. Now, go grow a pair and act like a valuable member of society instead of what you've shown us so far.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

How much is your budget? I can make you anything you want. These are CNCed aluminum emblems. a handfull of people on here have sets. EMAIL me if your interested.

Price is alot more then stock emblems but they are alot nicer also.

http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Billet%20Parts/

Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Have you seen anybody add color to those? Are the emblems with the black background clear coated or protected so the paint won't flake? I like these and this is what I was referring to as custom emblems. I think these would so much better than stock 4th gen emblems.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get brand new original GM emblems (not all of them but many of them) from Modern Day Muscle.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Have you seen anybody add color to those? Are the emblems with the black background clear coated or protected so the paint won't flake? I like these and this is what I was referring to as custom emblems. I think these would so much better than stock 4th gen emblems.
Thanks
I polish them face and base coat clear coat the emblems. All automotive paint used or gonna go back to powder coating them again soon. Only color Ive done so far was black backgrounds with polished letters.

http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Bil...aro%20emblems/
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird.
Engine: 383 HSR
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.27:1 Diskbrakes

This poor car has had a hard life, and honestly, I'm not giving it much rest as a daily driver. I do plan on restoring this car, as evidenced, and some day I will likely rebuild the 3.1 with 3.4 heads, and a 3.4 intake, maybe use a 3.4 cam. Until then, I'm just tasked to trying to find replacements and ways to repair things which are currently broken.
3.1 and 3.4 heads are the same. To use a 3.4 intake you'd have to convert to distributor less ignition.