Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Convertible guys....any reasons not to buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 07:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible guys....any reasons not to buy one?

I'm looking to replace my wrecked '84 and have been looking at the later thirdgen Camaros. Seems like a few decent prices on some '88 IROC convertibles. How bad is wind noise, leaking, back window yellowing, or any other problems generally associated with convertibles. I've never driven one and just wanted to check the feelings on them. Hopefully I'll get to check one out this weekend and get a firsthand look. Just wondering if it is worth considering, or if I should stick with T-tops (mine leaked, I hated that), or go with a hardtop. Thanks
Old 06-07-2001, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Couldn't tell you about leaking cause I've never driven mine in rain... However, they're noisy... top up or down doesn't make a difference... The stereo's suck worse than any other thirdgen. They're heavy, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, etc... parts are alot harder to come by. For a daily driver there isn't a chance in hell I'd use a thirdgen convertible. Ttops are more manageble for daily use.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
If you want the pro's why to own one, just drive one and you'll see.
The following users liked this post:
1stUC (08-21-2022)
Old 06-07-2001, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Iroc Z Convertible
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Okay, well where do you start, slow,squeaky,leaky(Air & water), but when you drive one you can't stop smilin, and you'll get alot of attention. I like mine,I'll love it when I get all the problems solved.

------------------
1990 Iroc convertible,305 tpi,Black with black leather interior,lowered,Taylor 8mm wires,K&N's
Old 06-07-2001, 11:57 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro convertible
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Parts are very expensive and are becoming harder to come by. Spent alot of time and money searching for parts last year. But when it's all done, and you have your first 85 degree sunny day, all the problems go away. The rear window does yellow, but you can locate aftermarket tops for a decent price. Look for rust on the inner trunk lip at the back of the trunk. That is one of the first places to rust. They cost more but deep down I think they are worth it.

------------------
89'Camaro Convertible,96'firebird wheels,79'Z28 hood scoop, 3.27 posi disc brake rearend,36mm front sway bar, 24mm rear bar, Poly sway bar bushings and end links, Dark yellow green paint from Bonnevilles, tan Mr. Mikes leather interior,Macewen white face gauges.
Dreaming of a RamJet 350,

Open element
Jet fan switch
180 degree thermostat

2nd place is always the first loser!
Old 06-08-2001, 12:28 AM

I was checking out a 92 rs camaro convertible today and that is the only place rust is on the car, I guess that trunk lid is a common problem. I love my convertible, it only leaks when I wash it, never in typical rain, my only complaint is from squeaks, but I think a good pair of sub frame connectors might take care of that. Trust me, drive one on a nice day with the top down and you will love it. I have one for a daily driver and am in the process of finding another one so that I can park mine. I don't care about the noise, my exhaust takes care of most of that anyway. And the number of thirdgen convertibles is very low compared to most thirdgens.

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows,MacEwen Overlays
Coming soon......"Custom" non-red material.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
There are some negatives to owning a convertible, but they are far outweighed by the positives. Top rattles (when up) are my #1 annoyance, (but easily overlooked since the top is down 90% of the time here in So Cal). The back windows do yellow with UV exposure, but a good auto upholstery shop can sew new ones in for around $100. They are more easily broken into also. This car was not originally designed to be a convertible. Welding in a set of SFC's and installing a STB will do a lot toward curing the very flexible chassis. Before you buy one, you have to understand that all your senses are enhanced or exaggerated compared to a coupe or t-top car. Examples of the good include the smell of fresh cut grass, driving by a brewery or the damp smells of a forest or ocean. Being stuck in slow traffic behind a roofers tar kettle is one of the worst. Drive one and you'll understand. Catch ya later. I’ll be off cruising topless in my ‘vert. Lon 8^)

------------------
90 RS Convertible
http://www.sc3gfb.org/members/lonsal.html
http://www.taskerinc.com/gs3/profiles/Lon_profile.htm
Old 06-08-2001, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking for a newer thirdgen, hopefully a manual with a TPI 305. For some reason, it seems like the only TPI cars I can find near here are convertibles. I'm used to water leaks (t-tops), so my only major concerns would be the extra weight (anybody know how much extra?) and the chassis flex. I'll check 'em out this weekend.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:42 PM

I got three reasons

1) Not as stable as any other third gen due to chasis(sp) flex

2) Inssurance(sp) price

3) Cost
Old 06-08-2001, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd agree with most of these points. My convertible leaks if it pours which can be a problem as the floor boards will get wet and rust. I used it as a daily driver for 3 years and it was not what I would call the ideal driver. If you can ever buy one as a 2nd car, though, and avoid the rain and the need to have the top up much, it's well worth it.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:44 PM

i have a 88 iroc convertible with a corvette 350 in it it has compcam,k&ns,boosted fuel pressure 52mm throttle body, edelbrock intake w/runners,3 inch flowmasers with dynomax cat, throttle body coolant bybass and some other things and it is pretty quick. very happy with it, am about to get jet chip and pulleys and that should make it pretty fast
Old 06-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Jza

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">....any reasons not to buy one? </font>
Nope. I love my 86. It stopped rattling ever since I tightened up all the screws in the top and windshield. The wind noise is surprisingly less than you'd expect, though don't expect a completely quiet ride. I wouldn't know about a sorry stereo, because the first thing I did was take all that out and put in a radio delete plate to get rid of theft/break-in incentive. That does, however detract from the enjoyment of daily driving, but I only drive it occasionally, like super nice summer days. I don't have any problems with flex, but then again, it came with a set of massive SFCs..
I'm gonna have to weigh the car someday, but it would seem like it would be lighter than my hardtop...?
Anyway, the I think the general feeling should be that it's an awesome car if it's not your only one.

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited June 08, 2001).]
Old 06-09-2001, 12:12 AM

will a strut tower brace take care of some of the flex?

------------------
Jeremy
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows,MacEwen Overlays
Coming soon...non red interior with 4th gen charcoal/grey seats
Old 06-09-2001, 02:02 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro convertible
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.27
My car weighs 3470 with a full tank and alot of stereo equipment. I am not sure what a hardtop or t-top would weigh. I think the strut tower brace from edelbrock is the way to go. It would have to help cowl shake cause it goes from the towers to the firewall. Next on my list of goodies.

------------------
89'Camaro Convertible,96'firebird wheels,79'Z28 hood scoop, 3.27 posi disc brake rearend,36mm front sway bar, 24mm rear bar, Poly sway bar bushings and end links, Dark yellow green paint from Bonnevilles, tan Mr. Mikes leather interior,Macewen white face gauges.
Dreaming of a RamJet 350,

Open element
Jet fan switch
180 degree thermostat

2nd place is always the first loser!
Old 06-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Lon didn't mention it, but he found that the Alston sfc's were the only ones on the market that would fit the vert. Internet Racer's Supply says they won't fit convertables, but he found that they do.
Old 06-10-2001, 01:44 AM

Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 300 HP 350 CI
Axle/Gears: Drums?
Wind noise and possible leaks are definitely a problem, but if you can find a pretty solid car, replace the weatherstriping and adjust the windows, and you should be able to get rid of a lot of the problems.

Yea, they weigh more too, but I never had people go out of their way to look at my 92 rs like they do for my TA. I get compliments every time I take it out with the top down. And I don't see how my convertible is that much slower anyway.

If you get a chance to take one for a good long test drive with the top down you will know immediately if you want one or not.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:50 AM

Love mine cant cant hear the wind noise I usually have the stero too load. lol

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/bulldogfrazier/homepage
+
http://www.fracoinc.com/

Keep your ride shinning with pride
Old 06-10-2001, 11:12 PM

so there is only one place to get sfc's for a vert? I guess any of the strut tower braces will work though?

------------------
Jeremy
Old 06-11-2001, 03:08 AM

I have a 91 z28 convertible.. it dosen't leak, the noise level with the top up isn't that bad, with the top down it's prety loud, but that's what makes it nice ;-) It is only the slightest bit slower than the 91 z28 coupe with a 305tpi/5spd which i got rid of a little bit ago.. and it's my daily driver too.. couldn't live without it ;-)

on the downside.. whenever i put the top back up, the plastic window on the back has a crease in it for a day or two.. and the body flexes a little more than a coupe.. sub frame connectors and a strut tower brace take would probably get rid of that problem though..

it gets alota attention, girls love it, cops follow it, and alota people comment on it..

i love the one i have.. it's everything i wanted.. 205 hp, 5spd, leather, all the power stuff, 245's.. great car
Old 06-11-2001, 03:11 AM

forgot one thing.. the steroe does suck.. when the people on here say it's the worst one in a 3rd gen, they aren't kiddin... my 82 camaro's steroe sounded alot better...

------------------
My `91 Z28 Convertible

Northern Kentucky Fbodies
Old 06-11-2001, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks again guys. I'm looking for a new daily driver, so these things are definately a concern. I hadn't thought about insurance prices. That's definately something I need to think about. And the weight doesn't sound too bad. My 84 Sport Coupe with no power options weighed 3300 lbs if I remember right. I'm definately going to have to take one for a test drive if I find one in my price range that isn't already sold. Hoping to find a TPI V8 w/5 speed. Its tough. Later
Old 06-12-2001, 12:26 PM

My 92 Firebird is my summer daily driver. I can't say enough good things about it. I cured 90% of the rattles by disassembling and reassembling the dash and console and using foam tape to absorb rattles. I can say honestly that my car is no noisier than other 3rd gens in which I have ridden. Now the biggest noises I have are the whistling of the air entering the K&N filter and the exhaust. I can live with those very easily.

I use this car every day from April through November for business. The noise, top up or down, is low enough that I can talk on my cell phone without problems hearing or being heard over the road, engine or other noises. Yesterday I drove 200 miles. It was very comfortable. In overdrive the engine turns 2100 rpms at 70 mph. It was raining when I drove to work this morning [35 miles one way] and I don't have any leaks. This is with the original, 9 year old top. It has a couple wear holes in the top that I patched with "goop". It ain't pretty but the top's down often anyway.

If it is more expensive to buy and/or insure these cars, I believe that is more than offset by resale value. I feel that 91 and 92 convertibles have hit bottom on prices and won't go any lower assuming good condition. So if you buy it for a reasonable price you can always get out what you put in if you decide you don't like it. People who don't really care about 3d gens generally will pay good money for a 3d gen convertible if you need to cash out.

If you want to dump weight, I recommend getting rid of the spare and jack and buying a AAA+ membership instead. You can dump more weight by swapping the OEM wheels.

So I disagree with the other posts that have described negatives about the car. But there is one negative that hasn't been mentioned: The trunk space is atrocious.

Old 06-12-2001, 12:39 PM

i actually put a sub back in that trunk so what little space i had is now gone. It seems like that trunk lid should open up more too.

------------------
Jeremy
Old 06-22-2001, 06:30 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
We have a 91 RS Convertible and simply love it!
The top is ten years old and no leaks! The plastic window has been replaced and they say you usually go through two plastic windows in the lifetime of the top.
Tops are expensive depending on the quality and the place you take it to.
We've found prices from $250 for a new top with no install to well over $800 for the top installed.
So make sure the top will last a few more years before you buy.

Rattles....
Yes! But not anymore than your average 10yr old car with over 120k miles on it.

As for the wind noise...
It's a convertible, you pay for that wind noise. We love the wind noise!
Actually the car is pretty well on the wind though. With the top down and the side windows up you really don't get all that much wind in the front seat of the car.
Not as much as one would think.

The factory stereo definately does not have enough power to hear the music with the top down.
Expect that to be your first mod to the car.

Trunk space is terrible, but you do get extra room back there to tuck away stuff with the top up.
We've even hauled home a water heater in ours. (it's the only car we have), and we were very careful not to scratch our baby.

As for grabbing attention.
We had a custom paint job done on ours about 3 months ago. Turned out REAL nice! Kept the factory color which is Mystic Teal.
All PPG paint and clearcoat, 3 coats of clearcoat!
We get nothing but nice compliments from people, and even had a few people go way out of their way to follow us to see if we are interested in selling.
Others have hunted us down at our place of work to see if we wanted to sell it. No Joke! Boss didn't like it! He owns a stang and never gets any offers. heh,heh,heh...

Those of you fellow ragtop owners probably can share a few stories like this I'm sure.

There were a tad over 5000 91 RS Convertibles made and a tad over 5000 91 Z28 convertibles made.
And finding one today is not that easy. Especially one that is for sale.
All in all I've seen about 7 here in So Cal.
And 4 out of the 7 were unfortunately really ragged out.
Those 4 people just don't know what they have.

We are keeping ours for hopefully another ten years god willing!
Ours has never been in a wreck and the body was perfect even before the paint job.

I say buy one!
We use ours as a daily driver, and hopefully we can retire it a little when the finances get well enough to buy another daily driver.
Then we'll keep this one in the garage for the nice days when we can enjoy the ride only a convertible can offer the driver and it's passengers.

[This message has been edited by sunbitz (edited June 22, 2001).]
Old 06-22-2001, 07:41 PM

Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
The biggest problem with a convertible is that you have to be carefull where you park it(vandels). I have 89 RS convertible. Also you must get SFCs I have Kenny Browns' they work great. Also strut tower brace to cut down the dashboard shake

------------------
1989 rs ragtop LO3 KB subframes & towerbrace to hold it together but bone stock
Old 06-23-2001, 12:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Some other reasons not to buy one I forgot to mention before. 1)The wind will muss up your hair. 2)You are more likely to get a sunburn. 3)You will get more wrinkles on your face (from the constant smile you have). Yeah, coupe guys don't get it and never will. 8^)

------------------
90 RS Convertible
http://www.sc3gfb.org/members/lonsal.html
http://www.taskerinc.com/gs3/profiles/Lon_profile.htm
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Car: 92 WS6 Trans am convertible
Engine: ls 6.2
Transmission: 4l80
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
Re: Convertible guys....any reasons not to buy one?

DON'T GET ONE IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ATTENTION! T-tops a cool but nothings like a drop top i have a 92 ta drop and i am the envy of all. most people never seen a 3rd gen convertible trans am before
Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by allgood
DON'T GET ONE IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ATTENTION! T-tops a cool but nothings like a drop top i have a 92 ta drop and i am the envy of all. most people never seen a 3rd gen convertible trans am before
I hope he made a decision by now, its been almost 7 years.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

Originally Posted by mcgarnicle
I hope he made a decision by now, its been almost 7 years.
lol right I love old posts
Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: They all sit.
Engine: LB9,LB9, LS1, LT4, LT4
Transmission: T5, T5, 4L60, T56, T56

wow this one was dead!!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM

Car: 89Z28 Vert
Engine: 350/tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

really dead did he buy one lol