Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

PICS: First door panel almost ready to vinyl....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PICS: First door panel almost ready to vinyl....

The drivers door panel just needs a little more sanding and some touch up and it will be ready to vinyl...

Right now what you are seeing is just primer and black paint. I needed to get a feel for how the finished door would look before I do all the final cuts and sanding.

Enjoy

Old 01-31-2002, 06:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
cool.. but for some reason, it looks intrusive to the interior..
Old 01-31-2002, 06:41 PM

If you are refering to how far out the door panel sticks, I'm 6'1" and even with the door and the kick panels I have more than enough leg room to be comfortable.

If you are refering to the color pattern, it is being carried out throughout the audio install.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:47 PM

What size speakers will go in the whole? Will the door rattle alot with what looks to be a 6 or 8 inch speaker? What did you use to make it? Sorry for all the questions but it looks damn good to me cant wait to see it finished. Oh and one more queston, want to make a set for me?
Matt
Old 01-31-2002, 07:07 PM

Each door will have an 8", there is also a 5 1/4" in each kick and will be horns under the dash...

Regarding the door rattling, the whole door skin itself is sprayed with Cascade V-Block wich is a sound/vibration damper. The speakers themselves are only resting in an enclosure just large enough for the driver and use an aperiodic membrane to vent into the inside of the door...the new panel is secured with screws rather than the plastic trim panel snaps that the factory uses, so it is very sturdy.

As far as how they were made, they started out life as a set of GTA door panels and I added the MDF baffle for the speaker to rest on and positioned it where I wanted, wraped the entire door panel in fleece and used fiberglass resin over that to create the basic shell.

I had to go back after and cut out for clearance of the dash and some other problems that kept the door from closing initially, but it's all good now

Some bondo and alot of sanding later and the first one is almost ready for vinyl...now I just have to get the pass door to match exactly as it's about 3 steps behind the drivers at the moment.

For making them for other people, it wouldn't be cost effective for me as the labor alone would run you almost $700-800 worth of work nor would plus the cost of the door panels plus the materials. I don't even have anywhere close to enough time to do them. I would be happy to share as much info as I can on how to make your own though...
Old 02-01-2002, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by GndPrx
horns under the dash...

That's what I'm waiting to see! I hope your going to take alot of pics for me! Maybe a tech article??? That would be sooo sweet. Sometime before I die I hope to have a set in my car. I'm saving for the CS 1.6. Is that what you're going to use?
Old 02-01-2002, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Mililani, HI USofA Search Posts: 2848.............. Whore Posts: 47.................. Magical Whore Posts: 1
Car: 91 Camaro 77K
Engine: 3.1 Vslick
It looks good, all though, the door handel looks a little out of place color wise...

Gonna do anything about that?
Old 02-01-2002, 03:00 PM

If you are refering to the actual pull handle, it will all match up when it's done...

Remember that grey paint is only primer color right now, the actual vinyl will match the medium grey of the interior trim panels which is also the color of the handle...