Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Can the brakes become glazed when the car sits for awhile?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic
Can the brakes become glazed when the car sits for awhile?

The car sat for 11 years outside enduring all the elements of nature. I've been in the process of getting it drivable.

One of like 2-3 major issues the car has is the brakes are weak. I replaced the master cylinder last month. I DID properly bench bleed it,and I bled all the wheels till there were no more bubbles. I've done the "back up and slam on the brakes" process,and that didn't improve anything. I had the car inspected by a shop,and they said that the engine couldn't pull a proper vacuum which kept the brakes from working. I have corrected that vacuum leak (around the throttle body),and there's been no improvement. According to my father,who drove it around to give me another opinion, he said "there seems to be plenty of braking force to wheels,but they seem to be slipping." This makes some sense to me because the car rolls with the parking brake on. The brake isn't loose. Around the 5th click it becomes hard to pull. I've gotta really rip up on it to get a 6th or 7th click,and again the car rolls with it on. It does however,seem to struggle a little more when I've put 7 clicks on it.

Sorry for the long explanation,but I wanted to be clear. So would you say that this seems to be due to glazing? Is it even possible just sitting there for 11 years without being touched? If so,how do I go about fixing this?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1
Re: Can the brakes become glazed when the car sits for awhile?

11 years of "lot rot" rust can ruin pads/shoes, rotors/drums. Glazing doesn't happen from lack of use, so that's not your problem. Have the discs/drums machined or replaced if necessary. Replace the pads/shoes, being sure to burnish them properly, and then evaluate your situation.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lurbie
11 years of "lot rot" rust can ruin pads/shoes, rotors/drums. Glazing doesn't happen from lack of use, so that's not your problem. Have the discs/drums machined or replaced if necessary. Replace the pads/shoes, being sure to burnish them properly, and then evaluate your situation.
Ok I'll check it out. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 PM

Car: 88 IROC Z/28-under re-construction
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port
Transmission: It's in there....
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg-Warner

The term Glazed is formed form High Heat over temp braking.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

any rust that formed on the rotors will come off as soon as you use the brakes, but i can see it coating the pads and not allowing them to work..

a cheap and easy fix would be to take the pads off and hit the friction surface with an orbital sander with 60 grit paper on it... don't take a lot off- just get down to fresh material. do the same on the rotors. then spray everything off with some good brake cleaner and put it back together.. this will give things nice new clean surfaces to work against each other.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Short term storage yeah, just drive away and the first time you brake, even softly, the pads will clean up the light surface rust.

But if a car sat for 11 years? More than the rotors might be rusted/seized.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by novaderrik
any rust that formed on the rotors will come off as soon as you use the brakes, but i can see it coating the pads and not allowing them to work..

a cheap and easy fix would be to take the pads off and hit the friction surface with an orbital sander with 60 grit paper on it... don't take a lot off- just get down to fresh material. do the same on the rotors. then spray everything off with some good brake cleaner and put it back together.. this will give things nice new clean surfaces to work against each other.
I disagree. Sure a little rust will come off, but 11 years worth, not without machining them it won't. Here's a few pictures I found in Google of what I expect his rotors look like:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
That last one is what I see when people do try to drive the rust off. The excessive pitting takes chunks out of the rotor. I've also had so much rust on rotors that it's given a spongy brake pedal as well. MAybe '91CamaroRS can post some pics if I'm wrong, but I am guessing this is what he's up against.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI

Rusty yes glazed no, run it up to 60 and jump on the brakes hard, rust be gone. Sounds to me like you may have some stuck wheel cylinders or calipers or both, Jack it up so all four are off the ground. Have someone mash the brakes hard and see if you can turn any of the wheels, if you can, even if takes considerable effort chances are the caliper or wheel cylinder is frozen on that wheel.

Last edited by mmadden55; 01-25-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4

I disagree. Sure a little rust will come off, but 11 years worth, not without machining them it won't. Here's a few pictures I found in Google of what I expect his rotors look like:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
That last one is what I see when people do try to drive the rust off. The excessive pitting takes chunks out of the rotor. I've also had so much rust on rotors that it's given a spongy brake pedal as well. MAybe '91CamaroRS can post some pics if I'm wrong, but I am guessing this is what he's up against.

i've driven worse... put tens of thousands of miles on my Camaro with front rotors that looked worse than anything in those pics.. one rotor even turned out to be cracked when i took it apart for the LS1 upgrade.. probably should have fixed it sooner..

my idea of sanding the rust off is something that i've used before with success. it's something that costs nothing but time and a piece of sandpaper to do and will tell you if you have other issues before you start throwing big chunks of your paycheck at the car..
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 PM

They surprisingly look nothing like those. I live in a dry state in the southwest,so major rust isn't an issue,at least there isn't any rust that's visible where the pads ride anyway.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 AM

Have you measured the drums (I'm assuming this is rear drum) and rotors yet to make sure they are in specs? You mentioned fixing a vacuum leak, have you measured vacuum at the booster since then?
When you bled the brakes, did you flush the old fluid out, or just bleed it enough to make sure that all the air was out?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 AM

Have you measured the drums (I'm assuming this is rear drum) and rotors yet to make sure they are in specs? You mentioned fixing a vacuum leak, have you measured vacuum at the booster since then?
When you bled the brakes, did you flush the old fluid out, or just bleed it enough to make sure that all the air was out?
The rotors and drums are within spec. I don't remember what the measurement was. I flushed the whole system,so I've got brand new fluid in it. I haven't measured the vacuum sense then because I don't have vacuum gauges. I highly doubt there's a vacuum leak at the booster because it's easy to push the pedal down. My problem is with all the pedal travel. It goes down far,and when I can finally feel it doing something I've gotta mash it to the floor to get it to stop. To me it feels like they're slipping.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by '91CamaroRS
The rotors and drums are within spec. I don't remember what the measurement was. I flushed the whole system,so I've got brand new fluid in it. I haven't measured the vacuum sense then because I don't have vacuum gauges. I highly doubt there's a vacuum leak at the booster because it's easy to push the pedal down. My problem is with all the pedal travel. It goes down far,and when I can finally feel it doing something I've gotta mash it to the floor to get it to stop. To me it feels like they're slipping.
Pedal feel/travel is largely related to the drum brakes being properly adjusted. Have you done adjustments to the rear brakes? There's a small oval plug in the backing plate, you pop that plug out to access the adjusting wheel.