Canadian Region Take off to the Great White North.

WTB clean trans am Ontario if possible

Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTB clean trans am Ontario if possible

I have heard the market is right to enter back in. I have owned a few 3rd gens, looking for a rust free, carb v8 3rd gen trans am. Clean and straight. Found 1 I have a serious in, it’s an ‘87 trans am. Dark blue with grey interior. No rust, interior and t tops mint. It’s a replaced 350 carb. from the factory 305. Nice grey ground effects. All factory,other than the motor, it’s pure unmolested stock car with zero rust and no rips etc. What does one expect to actually pay for it? Original paint but shiny. 135,000 all orig kms
You guys are the ones I would trust most to give an accurate dollar amount. I know the market is soft and 3rd gens have really dropped the last 5-10 years.
I have no desire to mess with the tuned ports or cross fire ever again.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: sp357
Transmission: T-5
Re: WTB clean trans am Ontario if possible

Would need pictures to give a really good opinion.

Converting to miles would be around 80k so if it was in really good driver condition, no issues and the engine swap was clean, I would probably be willing to go $10-12K. Higher if it was immaculate.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 PM

Wow, I have been hearing literally the polar opposite. Was told most any 3rd gen that’s clean is more in the 3k Canadian range unless completely mint and restored
Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Would love some sw Ontario Canada feedback.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: sp357
Transmission: T-5

Originally Posted by THETEEDOGG
Wow, I have been hearing literally the polar opposite. Was told most any 3rd gen that’s clean is more in the 3k Canadian range unless completely mint and restored
Like I said, pictures are really needed for any kind of accurate opinion on value. "Clean" to you or someone else might not mean the same thing as it does to me.

Check out ray's car in this thread. That is what I think of when someone says "clean". If you can get a car in that condition for $3k canadian I need to move to canada.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...ats-worth.html
Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 89 RS Camaro in Alliston Ontario, 2 years ago. I paid $3200...but it matched my definition of "clean"... meaning body was clean and rust free, no rust anywhere, no major interior issues or wear but the motor was swapped with a 350 stock car motor that ate 3L of oil every 1000 km. Body had 104,000 KM on it when I picked it up.

Being a mechanic, I was less concerned with the engine and way more concerned with finding good bones to build upon.

So what exactly are you saying "clean" is? That will greatly affect your price range and expectations. You won't find a low km third gen in Ontario that's in near mint condition for 3 grand, unfortunately...
Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 PM

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply man. This is a few pics of it. They’re asking around $7500 last time I spoke with owner

Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA T-Top / 2014 Mustang GT
Engine: 5L TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I've been watching that car on Kijiji, IMO it's priced very well and looks like it's a well kept car, not something that some kid threw together. They dropped the price to 6500, and assuming it's as clean in person as the pics would suggest, I say go for it
Old 05-22-2019, 08:22 AM

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true

This is also a good deal, but not a T/A
Old 05-25-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input!
i have been looking for a little while now and still see the same cars posted a year or more ago which tells me it’s a softer market right now. I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for the best deal.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

I don't know much about trans ams but I have been tracking clean Iroc pricing in Ontario for about 7-8 years. For Irocs the market is not soft at all, its the opposite - for clean low mile original cars. In the last 5 - 7 years Irocs have about doubled in value for these. The low ebb was 10 years ago.

A near pristine lower mile 5.7 with t-tops will be $15k+ easily. I bought one of these in the fall of '17: 5.7L TPI / t-tops, 30k miles. The appraiser told me initially that he thought it'd appraise around 16-17. Then he did his research (he is more of a muscle car guy) and it appraised at $22k. That doesn't equal resale value but it points to the trend.

A 305 / 5 speed Iroc commands nearly the same price. A 305 Auto drops the price some, in fact a pristine 305 auto without t-tops that was the same condition might be only worth $10k or so. Non-Iroc Z28s follow a similar pattern, slightly less.

What really changes the value of these cars is modification and higher mileage. I looked at soooooo many that had: A/C parts ripped out, Emission parts ripped out, TPI ripped out for carb, huge teenager stereos/subs installed poorly, holes in the dash for switches and aftermarket gauges on top of poor paint/rust issues that are typical. There were lots of cars asking $7500 that were worth $2500. And there were cars asking $12500 that were worth $7500. Those stayed advertised for a long time.

The car you posted seems like a fair deal to me, though I don't have a lot to go on. Pics of the engine bay and underhood would help.
Good luck.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bow_Tied
I don't know much about trans ams but I have been tracking clean Iroc pricing in Ontario for about 7-8 years. For Irocs the market is not soft at all, its the opposite - for clean low mile original cars. In the last 5 - 7 years Irocs have about doubled in value for these. The low ebb was 10 years ago.

A near pristine lower mile 5.7 with t-tops will be $15k+ easily. I bought one of these in the fall of '17: 5.7L TPI / t-tops, 30k miles. The appraiser told me initially that he thought it'd appraise around 16-17. Then he did his research (he is more of a muscle car guy) and it appraised at $22k. That doesn't equal resale value but it points to the trend.

A 305 / 5 speed Iroc commands nearly the same price. A 305 Auto drops the price some, in fact a pristine 305 auto without t-tops that was the same condition might be only worth $10k or so. Non-Iroc Z28s follow a similar pattern, slightly less.

What really changes the value of these cars is modification and higher mileage. I looked at soooooo many that had: A/C parts ripped out, Emission parts ripped out, TPI ripped out for carb, huge teenager stereos/subs installed poorly, holes in the dash for switches and aftermarket gauges on top of poor paint/rust issues that are typical. There were lots of cars asking $7500 that were worth $2500. And there were cars asking $12500 that were worth $7500. Those stayed advertised for a long time.

The car you posted seems like a fair deal to me, though I don't have a lot to go on. Pics of the engine bay and underhood would help.
Good luck.

I second everything in there ^ Third Gen's are TOUGH to find around our area. The odd clean example will pop up but usually the seller is demanding absolute top dollar for low optioned cars with "fair" mileage. I like that blue one a lot, and I definitely think it's worth taking a closer look at