Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Non Thirdgen, but a really simple audio question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Thirdgen, but a really simple audio question...

Ok, this is a really stupid question, but please just bear with me. I'm going to install a CD player for my girlfriend in her car. She has a 1990 Nissan Sentra. Her current radio is a single din, and the CD player I'll be installing is a single din as well. Do I need a kit to install this, or will it just slide right in? Will a kit make the wiring easier?
I've installed a single din CD player in my Camaro, but it was different because it already had an aftermarket single din tape deck and an installation kit.
Old 01-12-2001, 03:08 PM

Get the install kit they are 10-15$ It will make it easier for you, look better, and impress her.

------------------
1987 T.A.
4 bolt 40 over MSD 6al BBK/EDL throttle body Accel coil, wires Compu Cam Roller roc K&N filter Jet custom chip Removed screens and cooling fins on M.A.F. Ported Corvette heads 700r4 shift kit 40+ 4th gear 2300 stall Stock GTA rims with 255/50/16 rear 245/50/16 front Z rated comp ta's
Old 01-12-2001, 03:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I don't believe that there is any sort of install kit for that car. I believe that the brackets on the side of the stock radio should mount to the side of the aftermarket radio and it will slide right into place. Mounting kits are mainly for cars that have oversized radios or some goofy mounting setup. Most jap cars use a mounting style called ISO DIN, and all of the aftermarket radios accomodate that style of mounting without kits.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 01-13-2001, 03:53 AM

Car: 92 Z, 91 Formula, 04 CTS, 01 Tahoe
Engine: 355 forged 4 bolt, SuperRam, 58mm t
Transmission: T5, looking for t-56
Jim is right.The head unit will slide in between the brackets.The set of holes on the side of the radio should have a pair that will match up with the factory brackets.Just screw 'em in.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
why waste $$$ on a harness adapter?? ,just cut the wires and hard wire it,I like to western union splice with solder and shrink tube but for most people it's easier to use butt splices and a crimper,I don't even kill the power I just make sure the 12v and gnd don't have the chance to short to each other,hook up ground,then with ignition switch off I check for 12v at the power wire,this is the memory power. the one that has 12v with ignition on is operate power. then turn it on,also being careful not to let the speaker wires short,strip the wires (1/2") one by one and test for speaker location with the fad and bal adjust,the power ant wire has 0v on it at all times,thats because it is disconnected,hook up 12v to it (from the new radios ant wire) to verify operation,well...you get the picture, this is the hard way,but it will will look "highly technical" and possibly ......impress her,the wire harness is a 2sec install though.
Old 01-13-2001, 06:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Why would you ever want to hack up your factory wiring for the sake of 10 bucks? That's a hatchet job. It's messy, takes forever, is prone to failure, and makes it a nightmare to change decks later. And for what? $10? No thanks. I'll keep using harnesses. My IROC doesn't have a harness, and every time I go in there I need to **** around with wires all over the place. My 86 has a harness and changing radios is a 5 minute job, and the car remains 100% stock with the ability to replace the stock radio at any time.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
Old 01-13-2001, 09:36 PM
Neo
TGO Supporter

Jim I agree with you on buying a harness but how often do you switch your stereos. Cuz, I would be willing to take the old ones of your hands. lol

------------------
Mike Kenny
Current: 1991 RS 305 TBI
Past: 1990 RS 305 TBI (A woman forgot what red lights are for)
Current: mostly stock - newer 305 w/ 12,000 on it
Eclipse speakers all around w/ 10" tube powered by a Alpine V12 in back
K&N filter w/XStream flow lid - It is sweet!!
Future: 2" Cowl hood
Old 01-14-2001, 12:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Actually, I tend to switch mine a lot. I had my new 7863 in my blue car for about 5 days then put the old cd player back in. Regardless of how often you do it though, it's just so much neater, and easier.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
Old 01-14-2001, 01:17 PM

Ok, so I don't need an installation kit, but I need a wiring adapter? Where do I get that? My Camaro didn't have a harness (someone hacked it before I bought it) and it wasn't a huge PITA, but it looks ugly as hell and is extremely messy. Thanks again for the help, espically these being dumb/non-thirdgen questions.
Old 01-14-2001, 06:23 PM
TGO Supporter

If the factory wiring is already hacked, a harness adapter isn't going to do you any good because you won't have the Chevy plug to connect it to.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
Old 01-14-2001, 07:50 PM

----------------

Last edited by Tom Batts; 09-28-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: del
Old 01-15-2001, 03:22 PM

Sorry, I was asking about the Nissan. It still has the factory radio in it, so should I just go and buy a harness adapter? If so, where can I pick one up?
Old 01-15-2001, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
You can purchase an adapter harness at: Best Buy, Pep boys, Track Auto, Circuit City, most places that have car audio equipment have them. I had a problem becuse the factory wiring was cut from my car too. What i did was go to a junkyard bought another one with all the plugs and just restored the factory harness. Then i bought the adapter its a PITA to do it all but atleast i have no worries. Anyone done similar?
Old 01-17-2001, 12:38 AM

I agree with Jim...not having a good harness in the car usually triples the time it takes to do a proper install, and then it's very difficult to reinstall the factory unit. Maybe someday the car will be an antique and somebody will want to make it all original...that will be impossible if some hack has gone in there and destroyed the factory plugs.

Just this morning at work, a guy came in with a Camry where his "friend" decided to try doing the install first. Well, this guy's jackass friend cost him an extra $45 for me to neatly solder in another male Toyota harness, which I then wrapped in black tape to look as factory as possible. From there, I used a proper adapter and wired up the new radio.

Anyway, back to that Sentra. The harness you need is Metra 70-1763, which you should be able to pick up at any car audio shop.

You undo the two or three screws holding the dash trim on, then the trim will pop off. Unplug the hazard switches or whatever is there and lay the panel aside.

The factory radio will come out, along with its brackets, by unscrewing the four screws you see there.

Next, unscrew the brackets from the factory radio, and attach them to the new one. Do only one bracket at a time, so you can make sure to put it in the right place.

Here's another tip for you. If you use the screw holes that line up on the new radio, you won't be able to use the trim ring, and the face will stick out like 1/2", and it will look like *** . Instead, move the brackets about 3/8" forward of their normal locations, and find/make your own screw holes. This way, you can leave the trim ring in place, and the face will sit flush with the dash.

When you wire up your harness, you just connect the wires color-for-color; it's easy. Make sure you use solder, or red butt connectors, or crimp caps.

Even though there will be a black wire on the harness you buy, you may notice that there is no corresponding wire on the factory Nissan plug, but don't worry about it. Once you screw the radio into place, it will be grounded and it will work. (If you want to test the radio before mounting it, just plug the antenna in. It will provide a good enough ground for testing purposes.)

Old 01-17-2001, 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the help! You guys really know your stuff.