Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Need help with picking out new system after old one was stolen :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Need help with picking out new system after old one was stolen :-(

Hi Guys,

I am not looking to thump, win competitions, or hear that really weird buzz every time a bass note is hit coming from my trunk, but I do need a good system after my last JVC system was stolen from me I am not particulary looking to break the bank, but I am also not cheap either. I would Just would like something in the middle, you know?

My car is a 1988 Camaro Convertible SC. So putting anything flashy in a convertible is already asking for trouble. I am also converting the interior and drive train to a 4th gen Camaro. Which is already a big topic on some of the other boards, so ti will need to be able to be transfixed from old to new positions, not thatm uch of a change.

I also cannot put in kick panels. I am 6’1” and sitting in the car is cramped in the leg area as it is nevermind kick panels. I am thinking the dash speakers, 6X9’s in the back maybe 4’s in the cenbter console at the feet and tweeters in the doors? I really have no idea. I listen to a lot of hard rock, Punk, that kind of stuff so I like my highs and am not too big into the lows. I would like to know everyones opinion on the following list of items as well as any additions you think should be made:

Head unit
12 disc CD changer
Speakers for the back
Dash speakers
Tweeters
Maybe an Amp
Maybe the center console speakers?
Antenna booster
Power antenna

I appreciate any and all help, and any and all suggestions. Also if you can supply links to where to buy the stuff or your car with pictures to the install, etc… it would be really cool. Thanks

James
Old 07-14-2001, 11:50 PM

About your speaker layout, I wouldn't put a bunch of speakers everywhere. I think it's not really worth it to add seperate 4's, and tweeters in the doors tend to give the 'headphone' effect. If you like your highs to scream, a nice set of harsh 4x6 plates (with the seperate tweeter and round mid) in the dash coming off an amp will be enough to make your ears bleed. The other thing about putting 4's in the center console (I assume you're talking about in the foot-hole area, opposite of the kicks?) is that you only get the sound from one speaker; the other speaker is pointing directly away from you. This could lead to some strange reflections and effects. Have you thought about door pods? You could put a nice component set in your doors if you built them out, and you'd still have your foot room. Ideally, you want all your speakers close together (on each side that is) to minimize phase shifts.

- Mike
Old 07-14-2001, 11:59 PM

well jc whitney has power antennas that will fit our cars, umm i just bout the system thats in my sig, its not even here yet, i got the reciever for 260, the 4x6 for 80 the 6x9 for 100. im looking at a profile cl640 amp 110x4 at 2 ohms, thats about 180, wiring kit, 50$, power antenna + booster 70

------------------
Trent
---Car---
89 Firebird
305 L03 TBI A4
t-tops

---Stero---
Pioneer DEH-P730 Premium
Infinity 2way 4652 4x6's
Pioneer 4way ts-a6985 6x9's
2 pioneer 12" ts-w303c subs (selling if anyone wants em email me)

Future:im undecided about amps, and a pioneer cdx-p1270 12 disk cd changer
Old 07-15-2001, 12:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Mike,

What 4x6’s do you suggest? I heard of 3 way’s but my buddy says there is even 4ways out there now. Where in the dash can I put them? I can’t (wont) cut into my dash, as it is the 88 SC dash, pretty rare. You were right about what I meant about where I was going to put the fours, but think I will probably scratch that idea, by your comments. I did think about the doors, but I was told nothing will fit in there, but since I am putting in the 4th Gen doors and they have speakers built in I guess I would need suggestions for what speaker to put in there. As far as foot room, my legs are bent when I drive, so I work the pedals with the side of my foot, the side of one of my legs rests against the center console, and the other against the door lol its pretty funny. Can you give me a breakdown of your personal suggestions? That way I know where to start, as I am really lost.

Trent257

Do you have a link for the things you have as well as the Jcwhitney stuff? I am really interested in the power antenna and booster, as the ones from the local store tend to be bit weaker than I want. Also any links to your stuff? That way I can check it out. Aesthetics are kind of important as well.

Thanks guys,

James
Old 07-15-2001, 03:19 PM

ive never heard of 3way or 4way 4x6's,

power antenna - http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=4964&BQ=jcw2
antenna booster - http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoit...D=4916&BQ=jcw2

the npioneer site is down ill post links when its back up

------------------
Trent
---Car---
89 Firebird
305 L03 TBI A4
t-tops

---Stero---
Pioneer DEH-P730 Premium
Infinity 2way 4652 4x6's

Old 07-16-2001, 10:24 PM

12 disk changer - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,1502,00.html

3 of these subs - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,1990,00.html

reciever - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,1986,00.html

front amp=(maybee 2, well see) - http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1254411599

Old 07-16-2001, 10:27 PM

this amp for subs - http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1256047414

4x6s - http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.asp?ProdId='REF4652CFP'&Ser=REF&Cat=MEL

that is what my system is now/ will be when im dont, im holding of on the changer and subs, because i need time to make a box/amp rack and i have to get some body work done/get it painted, i should have it all by the end of the summer

------------------
Trent
---Car---
89 Firebird
305 L03 TBI A4
t-tops

---Stero---
Pioneer DEH-P730 Premium
Infinity 2way 4652 4x6's

Old 07-24-2001, 01:29 AM

Just my 2 bits:

Since you obviously own a computer maybe you have a cd rom burner too.

I picked up a Kenwood KDC-8017 MP3 player for my Z and I wouldn't trade it for anything. 100+ songs on one CD will beat out a 12 pack changer any day and I challenge anyone to hear a difference between my MP3's and a normal CD.

Check it out.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:45 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jstcrzyengh:
Mike,

What 4x6’s do you suggest? I heard of 3 way’s but my buddy says there is even 4ways out there now. Where in the dash can I put them? I can’t (wont) cut into my dash, as it is the 88 SC dash, pretty rare. You were right about what I meant about where I was going to put the fours, but think I will probably scratch that idea, by your comments. I did think about the doors, but I was told nothing will fit in there, but since I am putting in the 4th Gen doors and they have speakers built in I guess I would need suggestions for what speaker to put in there. As far as foot room, my legs are bent when I drive, so I work the pedals with the side of my foot, the side of one of my legs rests against the center console, and the other against the door lol its pretty funny. Can you give me a breakdown of your personal suggestions? That way I know where to start, as I am really lost.
</font>
Hey I guess I never got around to responding to this before. If you like your highs, you may like Pioneer speakers. They make a 4x6 plate. Some think Pioneer speakers go to the point of being harsh though, so go take a listen before you buy. Also if you want to go a little higher up, maybe look into MB Quart, they're supposted to be bright (accented highs). As far as placement, does your dash not already have provisions for 4x6's? If so they should just bolt right in without modification (assuming the speakers are shallow enough). Don't worry about 3-way or even 4-way 4x6 speakers. With the range of speaker sizes you can fit on a 4x6, 2-way is plenty. Most of that is just to grab people's attention, but doesn't really sound any better. For doors, you could go a couple ways. Coaxials (cheapest/easiest), seperates (more expensive, have to mount tweeter somewhere), or there's an in-between. Some companies make a speaker system that is basically a coaxial setup, with just one unit to install, but the drivers are component quality, and you dont have a post going through the middle of your mid driver. They're basically a component system with the tweeter mounted in front of the mid. Some even have outboard crossovers, like component sets. That way you get the ease of installation of coaxials, with the quality of components (possibly minus a little imaging). So maybe look into that. Oh another thing, if you're going for imaging, you'd probably be better off going with one or the other (dash/doors), not both. And I'd go with the bigger drivers (door).

- Mike