Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

A 4 barrel that only uses 2???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Aftermarket Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 V8
Transmission: 700R4
A 4 barrel that only uses 2???

So I have a Holley Model 4160 Non-Adjustable Float Carburetor: 600 cfm 4 barrel. I was looking at the rear bowl and when I took it off, there was some sort of block plate there. The rear inlets that dump fuel into the carb are bone dry.. I've had the carb for 3 months now and I just noticed this. When going full throttle, the rear flaps of the carb that let in air don't open. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is, but I'm only using half of the carburetor. There are no jets in the back bowl, just a float. I know very little about carbs but the only area where fuel is going into the engine is under the choke flap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HL...457S/?rtype=10
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: A 4 barrel that only uses 2???

You won't see the secondaries open on a vacuum secondary carb when you just blip the throttle from idle.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Apeiron
You won't see the secondaries open on a vacuum secondary carb when you just blip the throttle from idle.
Did not know that. When I was playing with the linkage for the secondaries, they were very tough to open almost like they were seized. Is fuel meant to go into the engine from the back 2 inlets? There were no jets or ports for fuel to go into those. If they don't work, what are they for?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

The secondaries are vacuum operated, they'll only open when there's flow to produce enough ventury vacuum to open them.

There are ports in all 4 barrels. What you're calling "jets" in the primaries are probably really the accelerator pump nozzles. There aren't those in the secondaries.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Apeiron
The secondaries are vacuum operated, they'll only open when there's flow to produce enough ventury vacuum to open them.

There are ports in all 4 barrels. What you're calling "jets" in the primaries are probably really the accelerator pump nozzles. There aren't those in the secondaries.
Ooooooooooh I see.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Car: 89 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350/carb
Transmission: th350

also when you have the rear bowl off, that plate is call a metering plate. most vacuum secondary hollys have them instead of jets.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by lowridetractor
also when you have the rear bowl off, that plate is call a metering plate. most vacuum secondary hollys have them instead of jets.
Ok I see. Question, stepping on the brakes would stall out my car. Given the carb I have, what issues with it would lend that to happen? What I did to fix the problem itself was open the choke all the way so it breathes with no restrictions. I don't know if that was the real solution to the problem but it doesn't sputter out and die on me anymore. I had both bowls off and fuel was getting to the engine just fine but for some reason, the engine was getting flooded...I think...and dying on me. It would take a good 5 seconds of cranking to get it started again. The car was leaned out but I don't know if that would cause it to suddenly die. Strictly carb-related, what kinds of things with the carb would make a car die while braking?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Sounds like you need to learn to tune carburetors... It's not as bad as you may think. You just gotta play with it for a while.

Do you have a stock engine or do you have an engine with a lumpy cam? If a lumpy cam... do you have the factory stall converter? If so it could be dragging a little to make your car want to stall under deceleration. Had a friend that had a problem from that.

But it could be anything. The choke flap should be ALL THE WAY OPEN when the engine is warm, or else it will fuel the engine overly rich. This could also be the cause. It should only be partially closed when the engine is cold and not up to temperature yet.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Sounds like you need to learn to tune carburetors... It's not as bad as you may think. You just gotta play with it for a while.

Do you have a stock engine or do you have an engine with a lumpy cam? If a lumpy cam... do you have the factory stall converter? If so it could be dragging a little to make your car want to stall under deceleration. Had a friend that had a problem from that.

But it could be anything. The choke flap should be ALL THE WAY OPEN when the engine is warm, or else it will fuel the engine overly rich. This could also be the cause. It should only be partially closed when the engine is cold and not up to temperature yet.
Yeah I definitely should learn haha. The cam I have is very mild. Its practically stock. I opened the choke flap all the way and it stopped dying on me.