Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

HELP STOCK PUMP CUT OFF AFTER TPI TO CARB SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP STOCK PUMP CUT OFF AFTER TPI TO CARB SWAP

What controls the fuel pump? It will cut on and then cut off, how can I get it to stay on????PLEASE HELP!! I am so close to finishing my motor!

------------------
Bright red 87 GTA with 350 tuneport. Basic mods such as K&N filter, Flowmasters, Wells MAF, TPIS air foil, Accel 8.8mm plug wires with , Accel distributor cap and rotary buttons.Gutted cat. B&M Shift kit, 100HP shot Nitrous, soon to change over to carburator.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:09 AM
Banned

My suggestion.
Chop the power wire going to the fuel pump. The wires enter the fuel tank from the top where the sending unit goes into the tank. Do not cut the ground wire. Be sure you do not cut the wire that goes to the sending unit from the fuel guage. Use a test-light to confirm which is which.

Install an inline pump under your car below the fuel tank. Behind the driver-side rear seat is a great place to mount the pump. Keep it as low as possible without danger of hitting anything while driving. I recommend using a Carter part # P4594

The pump only costs $50 and will save you many headaches. You will not need to run any kind of regulator with this pump, and you will not be screwed when the in-tank pump fails on you. I've been using Carter electric pumps for over ten years and never had one fail on me. If it were to fail then I could grab a $20 purolator from Autozone and swap it out in about 30 minutes max.
I run that very Carter pump on my camaro with 3/8" fuel line. Now I know someone is going to pop up here calling B.S. on me for running 10's with only that Carter pump and 3/8" fuel line. I am just telling you the truth and offering my advice.
good luck
ODB

[This message has been edited by The ODB (edited February 10, 2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 04:03 PM

That does seem to be the way to go, but in case you'd like an alternative.

I am using the exsisting tbi fuel pump in the tank with a mallory regulator. I was having a similar problem of having the pump shutdown for no known reason. Yes, I still had oil pressure, so that wasnt it. Switched the regulators, that wasnt it either. I hot wired the fuel pump just past the relay with a switch for when it happens again. Simply turn on the switch and fuel pressure is restored. Odd thing about it, turn it right back off and I still have fuel pressure. Don't know why it quits, but it does at an irregular interval.
Old 02-12-2001, 04:10 PM
JJ

Hey ODB, do you pull fuel right through the disabled intake pump ? I have a holley inline that I was going to do this with but I'm concerned whether it will be able to pull through the stock pump.
Old 02-12-2001, 05:06 PM
Banned

Yes,

get rid of the Holley pump. Get the Carter I mentioned.

Also Y the fuel line before the Carter pump and run a 2nd Carter pump and fuel line to feed your nitrous plate (same part #).
Make sure the pumps have good wire and relays powering them.

ODB
Old 02-12-2001, 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Mine wouldn't run to start w/ at all, thanks to the oil pressure safety switch. I wouldn't be suprised if it is the reason. It could easily be acting up. There is a simple fix, you can wire in a 12v ignition source to one wire on the fuel pump relay, and it will run the pump when the key is on. You're looking for the wire that the oil safety switch sends power down, bypassing the safety switch this way, so the power to run the pump is still going through the relay just like normal. You'll have to look at the wiring diagram though, I've forgotten which wire it is. I want to say green w/ white stripe, but again I don't remember...

If an inline pump will pull fuel through the stock pump though, that's the best way. I had heard conflicting reports about that and didn't try it myself. If the stocker fails me, then I'll try that out then.

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray

[This message has been edited by Ray87Z (edited February 12, 2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 10:57 AM
JJ

Sweet, will do that. are you splicing into the existing line or did you re-route your own at all ??

------------------
87 IROC, 350/5 speed. gmpp 350, vortec heads w/some work, XE268, 1.5rr's, 650dp, rpm intake, MSD ing., ect.
89 formula, L98.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Banned

using the existing line from the fuel tank and splitting into two will work fine. You split into two 3/8" lines and run an inline electric fuel pump on each line.

Old 02-13-2001, 01:42 PM
JJ

Did you use the factory fuel line from the 1st pump to the carb and then run another 3/8" from the second pump to the NO2 plate ? Just a conformation. When I get these last few bugs worked out, I think my car may take a trip to bellville for some edelbrock vodoo !!