Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Direct replacement for q-jet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 01:10 PM
Zio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct replacement for q-jet?

Hey guys, i am looking to buy another camaro (sold the 87) and don't want fuel injection. The only thing i don't like about the carb is that it is a q-jet and i plan on building up the engine. I have to keep the emssions equipment and was wondering if there is a holley, edlebrock, etc. that replaces the q-jet and still hooks up to the computer? Also how much does it cost?
Thanks Guys
Tom
Old 03-25-2001, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The computer can go by by the car dosent use it for emmissions eqt. Holley makes a qjet replacement but still a distributor change is nessasary. "HLY-0-80555S" .is the holley number this bolts to a stock sb manifold. 359.95$ from summit
Old 03-25-2001, 07:02 PM
Zio

oh ok. i thought that i needed the computer for emmissions stuff. i will just get rid of the computer and not waste my money on the exact replacement carb.
thanks
Tom
Old 03-26-2001, 01:12 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SUPER-SPORT-CHEVY:
The computer can go by by the car dosent use it for emmissions eqt. Holley makes a qjet replacement but still a distributor change is nessasary. "HLY-0-80555S" .is the holley number this bolts to a stock sb manifold. 359.95$ from summit</font>
WRONG! That Holley is NOT a replacement for a CC q-jet in any way, shape, or form. And, you DO need the computer for emissions equipment!

Depending upon the level of inspection/sniffer, it is "possible" to pass emissions without the CC equipment. Technically, and often practically, the only way to do it is with the CC carb, distributor, and EGR, along with AIR and cat.

IF you go non-CC, you'll need at a minimum a mechanical carb, vacuum/mechanical advance distributor, and vacuum-only EGR. The AIR also gets CC signals, but I'm not sure exactly what you'd do to fix that.

After all those changes, you'll risk failure of either visual or sniffer. Why bother? The CC stuff can be made to both pass emissions inspection/testing, and run well. Just do it...

------------------
82 Berlinetta, orig V-6 car, now w/86 LG4/TH700R. 2.93 limited slip. Cat-back from '91 GTA, Accel HEI SuperCoil. AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Daily driver, work-in-progress (LG4 w/LB9 block, ZZ3 cam and intake, TBD heads, Hooker headers & y-pipe, 3" Catco cat).
57 Bel Air, my 1st car. 0.030 over 396, Weiand Action+, Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet, Jacobs Omnipack, 1-3/4" headers, TH400 w/TCI Sat Night Special conv & Trans-Scat shift kit, 3.08 8.2" 10-bolt w/Powertrax, AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Best 15.1 @ 5800' Bandimere. Daily driver while Camaro was being put together.
Old 03-26-2001, 08:57 PM

Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Ditto, Five-seven. The computer has EVERYTHING to do with emissions, that's why it's there. The O2 sensor, mixture solenoid, TPS, coolant temp sensor, baro sensor, EGR solenoid, EST, AIR switching valve & solenoid, and TCC all work together via the ECM to reduce emissions (provided it all still works, anyway!)
But, if you want to chance it without the ECM, you can use a vac-only EGR, and then just directly route the AIR pump to the cat. It only pumps air into the manifolds when the engine's cold. Also (if you have an auto tranny) without the ECM the torque converter won't lock, you'll need a manual switch or a pressure switch to operate it or bye-bye tranny!

------------------
DR Stevens
Car #1: my ride
1984 TransAm
305HO(L69) 96K & counting
750 cfm Q-Jet/Holley rem.
K&N filter
700R4/Superior shift-kit
and trans cooler
3.42 rear/3.73 blew up!!
underdrive pulleys
Accel HEI Super-Coil
180 stat/hi flow water
pump/Jet fan switch
dual snorkel/'84 ram air
3" exhaust of some sort
partial emissions delete
Car #2: My wife's ride
1991 Firebird/Formula
305TBI(LO3) 99K & smoking
K&N air filter
Hypertech Chip
more engine mods later
"Hey, Uncle Sam!! Where's my f**king tax return??!!"
Old 03-26-2001, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by five7kid:
[B] WRONG! That Holley is NOT a replacement for a CC q-jet in any way, shape, or form. And, you DO need the computer for emissions equipment!

That holley does fit a spreadbore manifold "IE " Qjet manifold, even hooks up the fuel line the same. Second The computer adjusts mixture controll to the raito of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. if you have a well tunned carb there should be no problems passing emmisions.
The smog pump will still pump air and do what its supposed to without the computer. I have family and friends that live in LA and they use this setup on thier cars and pass emmisions with no problems.
They have these carbs in summit and at www.Holley.com/
Old 03-27-2001, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
SS, you're right, that holley is a direct replacement for a non CC Q-jet, however, i don't think ANYBODY really likes that carb. A real Q jet is far superior to the holley version.
As for what you said about a well tuned carb passing emmisions, thats kinda true. However, a properly functioning CCCS is always perfectly tuned for emmisions in closed loop. Also, even if you have a non-CCCS carb perfectly tuned for daily driving, it may actually be richer/leaner than the e-check is looking for.
And as for teh AIR stuff, no that WILL NOT work correctly. Unless the computer says otherwise, the AIR diverter valve will dump all the air from the pump into the atmosphere. So if you axe the computer and keep the AIR stuff in your engine bay you are a retard, unless you convert it to not expect the computer input. I'm sure you could force a voltage on the right select solenoid on the deoverter assembly so that it would just blow into the cat all the time, but at WOT/low vacuum it wouold open and still allow it to dump to the atmospehere as designed. If you hook it straight to the cat you risk melting it int short order. WOT exhaust it already very haot, and loaded with extra fuel. When that extra fuel gets to the cat and meets the injected air you are now making your cat work a lot harder than it was ever meant to.
And as to people in LA passing emmisions test with their computer ripped out, they must have some good friends. Having heard many horror stories of getting through visuals on this board over the years i cannot believe they were allowed to slide with their computer obviously removed.
...ed
Old 04-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
yea,it's a bit of a hack job but I too decided to un-computerize my car. I have a holly 650 cfm,speadbore w/electric choke and vaccum secondaries fits where the q-jet fits but not the same thing. I also have a mallory vaccum advance distributer,hyfire III and accel supercoil and wires. I'm replacing the tranny with a custom made 700r4 with pressure lock-up and all the other goodies....good bye ECM!I'm going to do all of this tomorrow morning,anything I should know about before I dismantle my car?

'84 Trans Am, currently stock 305 HO (L69)
Old 04-12-2001, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
I forgot to mention, the holly is a double pumper, overkill I'm sure.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:18 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
"Vacuum secondary" and "double pumper" are mutually exclusive - you don't have a vacuum secondary double pumper spreadbore Holley. It's one or the other. Years ago Holley made a 750 double pumper spreadbore (never saw one that ran right), but the 650 model they now sell is vacuum secondary.

"Overkill" may relate to CFM rating, but typically not VS or DP. "Impractical" or "mismatched" may apply to a DP on a stock auto tranny car, however. And, FWIW, the stock q-jet will outflow your Holley, which may qualify you for "overspent", since a stock 305 probably won't use all of the Holley flow, and the q-jet would better feed the 350 you're dreaming of installing.