Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

You smell gas? I smell gas !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You smell gas? I smell gas !!!!!

So I took my car to get tuned at this guy that everyone says he's the "best" in my city. Problem is he adjusted the carbby re-jetting it. Don't ask the size I don't know yet. Anyway, now when my car idles or I romp the pedal, all you smell is gas. No exhaust fumes at all, just GAS !!!! He seems to think this is O.K. I think it is not. Wasting gas is what is happening. I have an HEI distributor that has been recurved before this, but cars should not smell like this at idle. Any suggestions on how to properly jet for best results? Open to comments or replies.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Does it run well?

Gas smell at full throttle is normal for a carb'ed engine especially if running an open-element air cleaner. First off, carbs meter fuel regardless of which direction the air goes through them! And at full throttle there is STRONG pulsing of air inside the manfiold and through the carb. Some of the fuel that gets metered actually sprays up out the top of the carb! That's probably what you smell. And it's totally normal.

However, if the gas smell is happening at PART throttle or idle then something's wrong- like an external fuel leak somewhere.
Old 05-09-2001, 09:27 PM

It is coming from the tail pipe. Even at idle.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then thats not gas! Its water. Put some gas dry in the tank and get some better gas.
If it was gas then you would already have changed the plugs before you got home from the shop. That would be one rich setup if it was gas too rich to run!
SSC
Old 05-10-2001, 03:14 AM

Maybe you can't read, but I said in the first post that it "SMELLS LIKE GAS" I didn't say my tail pipes were leaking gas. I'm not stupid. Thanks for stating the obvious SUPER-SPORT-CHEVY. Plus for your info I only have ever used and will use is at least 92 octane gas.

To clarify it even more. When idling, my exhuast does not smell like it is supposed to. It smells like gas. Like pure gas that has not been ignited. How can I correct this. It has got to be wasting fuel. I don't have NOS so I wonder why the engine builder jetted the carb so rich.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Settle down girls!
Ok you stated in the post above my original that its comming from the tailpipes. When this phrase " its comming from the tailpipes" is mentioned one assumes that thier talking about the water discharge from the tail pipes that is comomly misdiognosed as gasoline.
If you have a raw gas smell coming from the tail pipes it could very well be that your carb is set way too rich, on the other hand it can be bad gasoline! Just because it's a high octane gas doesnt mean that the tank the gas is sitting in is in preimum condition.
"That would be the tank under the gas station not your fuel tank." Water and other contamintes leak into the storage tank and corrupt the gas thats why tanks are replaced about every ten years. Thats what I ment by bad gas! Ok enough ranting over that.
Back to subject. Is your car blowing alot of black smoke out when you accelerate or rev it up? A little smoke under WOT is normal until the air/fuel mixture is properly metered.
If its blasting black smoke fairly constantly the guy that rebuilt it did make it too rich and should fix the problem.
SSC
Old 05-11-2001, 01:03 AM

O.K. I 'm sorry for that little outburst.

At WOT yes just a tiny bit of smoke comes out, but black smoke that is noticable...not at all. None. In the last week I tried 3 different gas stations in different ends of my city. Filled up 1/3 of a tank at each and did some test driving. They all made the raw gas smell while driving and at idle. So it has to be the jets in the carb I guess. That baby is way too rich. Guess I have to re-jet my carb myself. Thanks for the tips though.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 (gonna buy the farm)
Would rejetting the carb solve the gas smell at idle? I am having that problem right now.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:24 AM

I got that too

I never thought of drygas. I am gonna try that. I was told that 2 containers on a half of a tank works well.

I changed my carb and still I get the smell. I have to get the fuel lines checked because this smell makes me high when i drive.

--dan
Old 10-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
also depends on the engine. After i swapped out my cam to a real radical high duration cam, I always get a smell of gasoline no matter what driving condition im at. I guess its because the cam makes the engine less efficient at pulling the right amount of fuel, and some is leftover. I pulsy / radical idle plays hell with the carbs ability to meter fuel.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird S/E
Engine: 406Ci Vortec SBC
Transmission: TH-350/3500stall
Axle/Gears: 7.5" Auburn 4.10 Posi-Traction
Need more info on your carb, motor specs
cam , fuel system etc. and any other recent changes.
Some possible causes are a blown power valve on a holley
or an ignition problem.

Looks like that Guy isn't "The Best" Maybe you need to start tuning your own car. If your car was running fine before,
maybe you should reinstall the old jets.

A strong fuel smell at the exhaust is not normal.
Something is wrong.