Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C blowing out hot air...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pontiac Firebird that I love :)
Engine: V-8 - 5.0
Transmission: One that runs so far. :)
Axle/Gears: The kind that turn. :)
A/C blowing out hot air...

I've done everything I possibly can so far...I filled the A/C with a sealant, and some more freon...and it worked for like 2 months...then a few days ago it started to get a little warmer, so I bought some more freon and put it in there again....it didn't do anything for some reason.Yesterday I thought, well maybe there's too much freon in the system, and I bled it for like a minute....then I added another can of sealant and some more freon...still hot air blowing out...and it won't take the rest of the can.Do you think I need to bleed the system some more and start fresh with a couple of cans of fresh freon?Thanks for any helpful advice you can give.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Re: A/C blowing out hot air...

BUMP....anyone on this site??
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

Not much consolation but, you're not alone. My RS has very similar problems even after an a/c conversion rebuild. Have you tried searching the topic?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wadebryant
Not much consolation but, you're not alone. My RS has very similar problems even after an a/c conversion rebuild. Have you tried searching the topic?
Thanks, its good to know I am not alone in this...mysery loves company doesn't it. How do you search the topic? I have looked everywhere I can think of but cannot find anything on it.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

Try the Tech / General Engine forum on this site. There are a number of a/c related postings. Use the search tool located on the upper right of the screen.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

maybe a bad compressor? idk. i got one off my 89 Irocz you can have. worked good when i last used it but its been a year since i actually tried it last
Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

My answer, I had to pay out the *** for

$250 to have the AC retrofit to work with the new stuff...
$100 to fix electrical problem (GM put a diode in the power wire near the compressor - if it's not there, can cause Check Engine lite- if it dies, no compressor- you have a 91 or 92, mine's a 91)....
$150 for an evaporator
$250 to install / replace the leaking evaporator with the above one...

I'm assuming your car has been correctly redone to work with the new R134, not the r12 it use to work with / can't get anymore...

Raf
Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Is the compressor still running? How did you charge the system? Did you see what the pressure was when you charged it? Also.... that sealant stuff is murder on your system.... if your compressor is still working be very thankful and I would not add any more of it.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Well, you are right here atomicskr! I used the sealant once and then because the air wasn't as cold, I figured it was leaking and added another can of sealant...that's when I had some real problems....why do they sell this stuff if its going to clog your system?? My mechanic had to change the hose system that he changed the first time because it was leaking...hence the reason the freon was leaking and it wasn't as cold as it was before...now he has to flush the system tomorrow because of the #$?&*# sealant!!! Those sealant companies should be sued through the nose for the damages their products cause!!! I'm so ticked you have no idea! I know I will be really fortunate if my compressor isn't next.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM

You're right, the people who add sealant to refrigerant should be drug out into the street and shot. I'm not sure thy they why they make it since having a slight leak is way less costly that replacing compressors and driers. Good luck to you!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by atomicskr
You're right, the people who add sealant to refrigerant should be drug out into the street and shot. I'm not sure thy they why they make it since having a slight leak is way less costly that replacing compressors and driers. Good luck to you!
***DRAGS THE SEALANT PEOPLE OUT INTO THE STREET***

Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

They make it because it's a quick and easy fix for some quick and easy and CHEAP people who don't want to spend the cash to fix it properly. Hey, you chose to use it, they didn't force you.

If you are going to use the stuff, use the stuff that comes with the freon, NOT the pure sealant. The freon based sealant will not totally solve the problem but can slow it down until you have the money to fix it properly unless the hole is the size of the Grand Canyon then you are s#!t out of luck. Just think about this. You don't pour your old cooking grease down the sink because it will eventually clog your pipes right? Once will not kill it but multiple times???? Just my .
Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

My personal opinion is that DIY work on your A/C is just asking for more problems. More so when people start mixing the combo of R12 & R134 and expect it to work.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi

I had that problem at the end of last summer. My A/C which had been cold all summer started getting hot in Sept. When spring came I bought the sealant with the freon combined and installed it AFTER purging my entire system. I always purge my system before adding new freon. This is the way I was taught to do it. Two cans will fill me up so I just purge and fill. My car has been ICY COLD all summer.

I think you should purge and then refill with straight freon until you know for sure you have a leak.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Guro 305
They make it because it's a quick and easy fix for some quick and easy and CHEAP people who don't want to spend the cash to fix it properly. Hey, you chose to use it, they didn't force you.
No, they didn't force me, but had that garbage not been on the shelf, I wouldn't have bought it and messed up my A/C system. Your two cents is pretty CHEAP. When you think about it, personally, would you rather pay $1,000 for something or would you rather pay $5.95? Get real will ya.
----------
Originally Posted by 86NiteRider
I think you should purge and then refill with straight freon until you know for sure you have a leak.
We should be doing that today, thanks.
----------
Originally Posted by DJP87Z28
My personal opinion is that DIY work on your A/C is just asking for more problems. More so when people start mixing the combo of R12 & R134 and expect it to work.
Where did you get that r12 and r134 was mixed here?

Last edited by 92Firebird Lady; 07-24-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 92Firebird Lady
No, they didn't force me, but had that garbage not been on the shelf, I wouldn't have bought it and messed up my A/C system. Your two cents is pretty CHEAP. When you think about it, personally, would you rather pay $1,000 for something or would you rather pay $5.95? Get real will ya.
----------

Ok, do you really want to go there? Notice I never said YOU were cheap, I said it's for cheap people. Since you are a lady I will give you a pass on the smart attitude and again, THEY DID NOT FORCE YOU TO BUY IT, regardless if it was on the shelf or not!!!!!!!!! You took a gamble and it didn't pay off. It's NOT the manufacturer's fault it was YOURS for not consulting someone with a greater knowledge then yourself on the subject. Lesson learned.

Secondly, I would never pay $1K to fix anything because a) it's a rip-off and b) I can fix the A/C myself and have done so a few times. Yeah my two cents maybe pretty cheap, but then again so are you for only spending $5.95 on the sealant instead of the $19.95 for the freon/sealant (w/ it's own hose)that probably would've got you by without spending what you are having to spend now. Geez, lighten up will ya!

Next time you'll know........purge that sucker first.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Now now kids... settle down. What's awful about the people adding sealant to the refrigerant is that they very seldom advertise it and you have to check the fine print. When it comes to A/C there is no substitute to doing it right and being done with it. I've been doing A/C work on cars, buses, trucks... etc for 10 years now and shortcutting it will just cost you more down the road. As far as purging the system before charging that is not neccessary but it will let you get the exact amount of freon in your system that it needs.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Guro 305
----------

Ok, do you really want to go there? Notice I never said YOU were cheap, I said it's for cheap people. Since you are a lady I will give you a pass on the smart attitude and again, THEY DID NOT FORCE YOU TO BUY IT, regardless if it was on the shelf or not!!!!!!!!! You took a gamble and it didn't pay off. It's NOT the manufacturer's fault it was YOURS for not consulting someone with a greater knowledge then yourself on the subject. Lesson learned.

Secondly, I would never pay $1K to fix anything because a) it's a rip-off and b) I can fix the A/C myself and have done so a few times. Yeah my two cents maybe pretty cheap, but then again so are you for only spending $5.95 on the sealant instead of the $19.95 for the freon/sealant (w/ it's own hose)that probably would've got you by without spending what you are having to spend now. Geez, lighten up will ya!

Next time you'll know........purge that sucker first.
You sir, are crude.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Now now kids... settle down. What's awful about the people adding sealant to the refrigerant is that they very seldom advertise it and you have to check the fine print. When it comes to A/C there is no substitute to doing it right and being done with it. I've been doing A/C work on cars, buses, trucks... etc for 10 years now and shortcutting it will just cost you more down the road. As far as purging the system before charging that is not neccessary but it will let you get the exact amount of freon in your system that it needs.
It is awful. My mechanic did purge the system, changed the filter, and flushed it with mineral spirits...after he let that dry out, he added 2 1/2 lbs of freon back into the system. It worked real cold at first, but on my way home, it started to not be as cold. I called him and let him know, he said wait until tomorrow and see if it gets any better (my guess is he may think there may be some mineral spirits that still need to evaporate, who knows what he is thinking.) He said to bring it by again today after work and he will add another can of freon in it if it needs it. This morning, it was better and colder when I started my car up, but by the end of the ride home, it was a little less cool.

What could cause this?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 AM

When the a/c got warmer was it warmer outside compared to when it was working well. Also, I'm not sure but 2 1/2 pounds sounds mighty low for our cars. I know if it's a r134 conversion you put less in. If you do a search you can find the percentage pretty easily. Check the sticker on your compressor to find out how much the system should hold. It is possible that 2 1/2 pounds just isn't enough refrigerant.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM

I had to replace every pice of my a/c because some idiot convertied it wrong and it ruined all my sys. But to do it right bring to to a shop have them flush the sys out totaly, then put a new filterdryer on it and check your orphis tube for debres. if its dirty or has metal on it your compressor is junk, if its ok put it back, vac the sys down, add the right amount of pag oil and charge it, remember r134a is more heavy and takes less to charge a sys fully. When i did this to my 86 iroc the a/c was ice cold! even on muggy 90 degree day with t tops it cooled me off! Your best bet is to have a certified gm tech who took the gm class about a/c to do it. If there not certified or think you dont need to flush the old mineral oil out they have no idea what there doing and there causing your lots of trouble! Mineral oil from the r12 is not compatible with r134a! Thats why when u convert a sys you have to change the filter dryer.
He flushed it with mineral spirits! OMG take it to someone who has a clue! You have to use special a/c flush its like 40 dollars a can! The mineral spritits killed your filter dryer! The filterdryer is made of a special bag that obsorbs moisture! When u install 1 you cant have it open to outside air for more then 5 min! Or it obsorbls moisture and freezes when you try to charge the a/c. And you do not use minteral spririts to flush a sys out. I have 4 cars over 20 years old all convertied the right way to r134a, and they all blow ice cold. 45 degrees all the time from the vents. I did them all myself also.

Last edited by 186irocz; 07-25-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM

When the a/c got warmer was it warmer outside compared to when it was working well. Also, I'm not sure but 2 1/2 pounds sounds mighty low for our cars. I know if it's a r134 conversion you put less in. If you do a search you can find the percentage pretty easily. Check the sticker on your compressor to find out how much the system should hold. It is possible that 2 1/2 pounds just isn't enough refrigerant.
It is an r134 conversion, and when the a/c got warmer it was the same temp outside it happened in a matter of 10 minutes...I wonder if its because the car got warmer? Also my car seems to surge every time the compressor kicks in, is that normal? I don't remember that happening when I first bought the car, but its been happening for a while now. I will try to do a search to find out how many pounds of freon should be in my r134 conversion. Thank you.

Originally Posted by 186irocz
I had to replace every pice of my a/c because some idiot convertied it wrong and it ruined all my sys. But to do it right bring to to a shop have them flush the sys out totaly, then put a new filterdryer on it and check your orphis tube for debres. if its dirty or has metal on it your compressor is junk, if its ok put it back, vac the sys down, add the right amount of pag oil and charge it, remember r134a is more heavy and takes less to charge a sys fully. When i did this to my 86 iroc the a/c was ice cold! even on muggy 90 degree day with t tops it cooled me off! Your best bet is to have a certified gm tech who took the gm class about a/c to do it. If there not certified or think you dont need to flush the old mineral oil out they have no idea what there doing and there causing your lots of trouble! Mineral oil from the r12 is not compatible with r134a! Thats why when u convert a sys you have to change the filter dryer.
He flushed it with mineral spirits! OMG take it to someone who has a clue! You have to use special a/c flush its like 40 dollars a can! The mineral spritits killed your filter dryer! The filterdryer is made of a special bag that obsorbs moisture! When u install 1 you cant have it open to outside air for more then 5 min! Or it obsorbls moisture and freezes when you try to charge the a/c. And you do not use minteral spririts to flush a sys out. I have 4 cars over 20 years old all convertied the right way to r134a, and they all blow ice cold. 45 degrees all the time from the vents. I did them all myself also.
Sorry that happened to you, its good you were able to fix it yourself. I will let my mechanic know what you had to say.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92Firebird Lady
You sir, are crude.
No ma'am, truth hurts!

Let me ask you this question. You said the AC blows cold and then ten minutes later it gets warm. Is this during an idle? If your car warms up during an idle and goes back to cold when you are in motion, chances are your condensor is not in the best of shape.

If the problem is it's getting hot while your in motion, it could be that you still have a vacuum leak somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, the accumulator can hold up to 3lbs. Too much or too little can result in it not working properly as well. Too little in this case is better then too much. Monitor the behavior of your AC to get a better understanding of what maybe the cause. The surging you are referring to if it's AC related could be caused by the cut-off switch at the back end of the compressor. Check to make sure it's not loose or faulty.

Easiest way for me was to have a friend start the car then the AC. Push down on that sucker and see if the clutch kicks on when you pushed it down. If so, the cut-off switch is bad. They are cheap and easy to replace but damn you'll lose all your freon. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 PM

Mine would serge because the compressor was working 20 times 2 hard because the sys was over presurized with the wrong conversion. Also it would start cold and then blow warm, another symtom of a wrong conversion and bad parts. The way u can avoid lots of cash is to just buy everything new, it ran me 500 dollars for a new compressor evap,condensor, and every line, i then brought it to a shope payed them 180 dollars to vac it down il it up and charge it, works like a charm now
Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders

Wow! I guess I should consider myself lucky. My car sat for 2-3 years. When I put her back on the road I had no Freon in the system. I bought the E Z Chill conversion kit. I purged the system, changed the fitting and put two cans of Freon in and off I went, I Cold going on three years.

Sound like you need pro help. The do it yourself method may be messed up since he put the Mineral spirits in.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Car: '88 GTA
Engine: L-98
Transmission: T-56

Does the system hold a vacuum? Did anybody check to see if it did?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM

Be careful.... holding a vacuum is not the same as holding pressure. Systems should always be leak tested with nitrogen at 100psi for an hour or so. If it doesn't leak that out then you're definitely set. But DO NOT run the compressor with the system filled with N2. It will destroy it. After leak testing vacuum down to 30 in Hg and hold for 30-60minutes. Charge the system and enjoy being cold!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks so much for all of your input here, it has helped me understand more. Had my car flushed the other day as you know, and it was not blowing as cold as it should have...I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he took another look at it. It seems that my high pressure valve was leaking. He also took a look at the filter that he changed the other day, and it had debris all over it...so he said I am going to need a new compressor soon...that's something to look forward to. He fixed the valve, added freon again and it blew cold last night and was still blowing cold this morning, so I'm happy for now...living in Florida, you need your air conditioning. I know I will have to get a new compressor soon, and along with that a new dryer because he said it wouldn't be good to use the one we just changed a couple of months ago because it would be filled with debris from the old compressor. He also pointed out to me that I need a new catalitic convertor and new brakes. My car is falling apart around me. I love my car so much, I don't want to give it up and get a new one...not to mention its already bought and paid for...yes, I have to put money into it every once in a while, but at least I don't have to make a car payment every month. I'm torn. But, at least I have air conditioning for now...I hope it lasts through to the winter so I don't have to spend more money on it any time soon.

Thanks again for all your great advice here, its really meant a lot.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Well, I got $3,800 for it on a trade in...I needed a new car...the poor old bird was killing me on repairs, etc. Now driving a beautiful 2005 Sunfire, Fusion Orange!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

You could of got a nice thirdgen for $3,800. That Sunfire has to be boring compared to a thirdgen.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 PM

That wasn't very nice.