Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Thermostat housing with 2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat housing with 2 sensors

Have no clue what these are for.

One has a vacuum hose that runs to the carb. Looks like it MIGHT have had an electrical connection (possibly). The input look damaged and I cannot find a connector anywhere close though

The other has 2 wires on the top.

This is on a 87 Z28 with a 305 (not sure of the motor, bought car 2-3 months ago).

Been trying to find my coolant sensor for the gauge as it does not work. Well it will when u hit a bump. Goes straight up lol. So pretty sure the gauge does work but still wanna check the sensor before spending money. Thanx for any help.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Z28-White/T-Tops
Engine: H code LG4 305
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.23
Re: Thermostat housing with 2 sensors

The sensor with the two wire electrical connection is for the computer reference, the other is a thermal switch for controling vacuum in the air diverter valve, smog stuff. Look on the drivers side of the block between then first and second exhuast tubes, just below, you should see a small brass fitting that looks like a small nail head, it should have a single green wire attached to it. The green connector slides on over the head of the nail looking part, but alot of times someone in the past yanks on it the wrong way and damages the wire conector.
The following users liked this post:
Tidan (02-03-2020)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by dirtywhiteZ28
The sensor with the two wire electrical connection is for the computer reference, the other is a thermal switch for controling vacuum in the air diverter valve, smog stuff. Look on the drivers side of the block between then first and second exhuast tubes, just below, you should see a small brass fitting that looks like a small nail head, it should have a single green wire attached to it. The green connector slides on over the head of the nail looking part, but alot of times someone in the past yanks on it the wrong way and damages the wire conector.
Where can you get a new one of those connectors?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 PM

ah heck, I was looking on the intake for the coolant sensor lol.

K good to know, ill check that out tomorrow.

Thanx for the input on the 2 sensors. Ill leave the smog one off (vacuum has been disconnected) since my cat is gone and wouldnt matter anyways lol.

LUV this board. Everyone is sooo helpful
Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM

If your connector has been damaged you could try looking around the junk yards. Those connectors went on all kinds of V6 and V8 chevys and buicks. If you want to track down a replacment at the stores try AC Delco part #-213-52, it should include a new sensor, wire connector, and instuction sheet. I belive that the old style connector is upgraded to a new blade style with this sensor but I'm not totally sure because I haven't put my hands on one in a looooong time. The new sensors run from $6-$9 dollars. I just hate trying to take things like this out of the engine because they always want to stick or the brass crushes, spiting out the internals, and leaving a weak shell in the hole for you to finagle out.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by dirtywhiteZ28
If your connector has been damaged you could try looking around the junk yards. Those connectors went on all kinds of V6 and V8 chevys and buicks. If you want to track down a replacment at the stores try AC Delco part #-213-52, it should include a new sensor, wire connector, and instuction sheet. I belive that the old style connector is upgraded to a new blade style with this sensor but I'm not totally sure because I haven't put my hands on one in a looooong time. The new sensors run from $6-$9 dollars. I just hate trying to take things like this out of the engine because they always want to stick or the brass crushes, spiting out the internals, and leaving a weak shell in the hole for you to finagle out.
I tried to get one of those switches today, the one from the drivers side head, and they all had the "blade" style connector on them. I'm going to see if I can find the AC Delco type though since my connector isn't the best, maybe I should just go with the blade type and chance the connector. That might be easier.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Not all of the blade style replacements come with a connector so be sure and open the package at the store before you buy it, cause the old style connector won't fit the newer blade style sensors. If you have an O'reillys out there they still carry both new and old style connectors but you will probably have to wait for the old one to be shipped in, and it won't come with a new connector.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 PM

I just double checked and AC DELCO 213-52 is the new blade style switch and it comes with the new connector.