Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

What sensor is it with single green wire coming from head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
What sensor is it with single green wire coming from head?

I have a 1992 camaro, 305 tbi. The person that had it before hooked up the fans straight to the ignition and i'd like to fix it how its suppost to be done. Theres some type of sensor on the head with a single green wire coming from, i knpw for a fact that its bad bc the wire is broke. What is the exact name of that sensor? And where does the other end go?? Now the on thats in the engine itself.... Its got one single metal prong sticking from it. Hopefully this isnt a repeat thread. Im on my iphone and can't really look... Thanks for the help!!!

-Alex

P.S. If i can figure this site out in time, ill upload a pic of it. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails What sensor is it with single green wire coming from head?-photo_1.jpg   What sensor is it with single green wire coming from head?-photo_2.jpg  

Last edited by alexquade; 07-27-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: pictures of the wire
Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Re: What sensor is it with single green wire coming from head?

I have the same wire hanging i think its for the ac. its on the pass side right?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by john36mc
I have the same wire hanging i think its for the ac. its on the pass side right?
Right. But its nt for the ac. Its for the fans. Some type of on and off thing. I just don't know exactly what the name of it is. And normally, thats wut goes out, making the fans not work, and someone riggin it up to a switch/ignition. See. My car over heats in traffic, and im thinking it cld be that the fans staying in low speed. IF it has two speeds. Im nt sure. I had two new model cars that did. So im not sure about this one. Just trial and error.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Atleast Thats what i read its for. Its either the cooling fan switch, thermal switch, or temperature switch. Idk. Two of tht three are probably the same. But. I have the sensor that goes into the head, between the two cylinders, just dont knpw where the other end goes so i can replace it.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Car: 86 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 377 sbc
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:70 Ford 9" Rear

its a fan switch wire.. there shoud be a fan switch screwed into the rear of the pass side head. the single wire on the drivers side will be for the temp guage on the dash and i beleive that one is green and white but dont quote me on it.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM

thats what i figured. theres a fan switch screwed into the pass side head, but the green wire that runs from it is broke. and i don't know where it has to go, or what i have to do to replace it. the pictures show the other end of the wire, the part that comes from the switch in the head. thanks for the input!! but, i do have a tbi, with the coolant temperature sensor on top of the intake, near the thermostat housing. if you could tell me where the other end of that wire plugs, and/or the name of that sensor it'd be GREATLY appreciated! again, THANKS!

Originally Posted by camarokracker
its a fan switch wire.. there shoud be a fan switch screwed into the rear of the pass side head. the single wire on the drivers side will be for the temp guage on the dash and i beleive that one is green and white but dont quote me on it.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 AM

Car: 86 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 377 sbc
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:70 Ford 9" Rear

well unfortunately my car is so far from stock that i couldnt tell you for sure where it goes but i think i goes straight across the back of the engine to the fan relay that should be by your brake booster. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than me in the factory wiring dept. can verify that for you.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71

There are several temp sensors on these cars. The one mounted in the intake is just to relay information to the ECM for the fuel injection. The one on the driver side head has a single wire and is a ground resistance signal to the cluster to tell you how hot the engine is. The one on the passenger side is for the cooling fans and its a ground switch. These often go bad because there either on or off. When the vehicle reaches 220 it completes the circuit by grounding that wire. That wire runs to the cooling fan relay on the d/s firewall. There are two green wires tied together at that relay. One from the switch on the p/s head and the other from the A/C compressor. When the A/c is turned on it creates a ground and turns the fans on no matter what temp the engine is.

Its a really simple system, with very little to go bad. Thats why i never understand why so many ppl rig these systems up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by Recaro trans am; 07-28-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: edit
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Sweet! Sounds like it shouldnt be a hard fix. But. That wire, it appearsto broke at another plug. And according to my research, that wire coming from it does have two plugs, one on each end of the wire. So all i gotta do is look for that other plug. Now, replacing it.... Is that a parts house item, or a dealer/salvage yard item? And about the people rigging it, the po got the car with 20s r 22s on the back and 18s r 20s on the front. I ha to replace my shocks bc every bump id hit id bottom out. My exhaust is all messed up bc of that. Well changed the shocks and only a little difference. So im thinking they ruined the springs. ive just recently changed the valve stem seals and fixed my pass power window. Nxt is my trunk struts, then the springs.

thank yall so much!!! Appreciate it!!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM

okay, so i went to find that relay. well. there was no relay. just 2 red wires tied into a purple one. the top of the relay assembly is still there. not sure if i should just leave it like it is, or try and fix it. not sure. i'm not very big on wiring. esp hooking something up that i had no idea how it was hooked up. people just have absolutely no respect for older cars. and all they're worried about is rigging something up instead of fixing it.

and i'm not sure if it can be fixed without actually redoing a bunch of wires, i'm not sure if the other connector for the radiator fan switch is in the back of the motor. by the way everything looks, i doubt it is.
Attached Thumbnails What sensor is it with single green wire coming from head?-img_4358.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by alexquade
okay, so i went to find that relay. well. there was no relay. just 2 red wires tied into a purple one. the top of the relay assembly is still there. not sure if i should just leave it like it is, or try and fix it. not sure. i'm not very big on wiring. esp hooking something up that i had no idea how it was hooked up. people just have absolutely no respect for older cars. and all they're worried about is rigging something up instead of fixing it.

and i'm not sure if it can be fixed without actually redoing a bunch of wires, i'm not sure if the other connector for the radiator fan switch is in the back of the motor. by the way everything looks, i doubt it is.
Yeah, that dont look right!! lol Well like i said its a relativly simple circuit. If you can get a hold of a wire diagram you will see. As for the switches there about $30.00 and easy to get. Your best bet is to go to a junk yard, get the relay, and harnessing you would need to fix it.

Or you can do like i did. Full stand alone fuel injection that controls the fan on temp, and time it runs for. lol Thats a bit more expensive though.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

WELL! something i've been wanting to do isssss! put a serpentine fan on it. seems quite easy and HELL of a lot less hassle. and instead of fighting all that, i was jst gonna do that. i was thinking about maybe going get a water pump, fan, shroud, and fan clutch, off of an older model thirdgen camaro, but i'm not sure if the water pump would be the same. i know the water pump on the 92 is reversed, but what about on the older model ones? would i be able to just buy a fan, fan clutch, and fan shroud and hook it up? and, yes, i've read about how they "rob" power, but i'd rather have a lil power robbed than worry about my car over heating bc of those elec fans. i had a 94 gmc sierra with a clutch fan and NEVER had a problem with it over heating. ive been searching for a fan/fan clutch/etc online and found a few things. just want some extra guidance. thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Recaro trans am
Yeah, that dont look right!! lol Well like i said its a relativly simple circuit. If you can get a hold of a wire diagram you will see. As for the switches there about $30.00 and easy to get. Your best bet is to go to a junk yard, get the relay, and harnessing you would need to fix it.

Or you can do like i did. Full stand alone fuel injection that controls the fan on temp, and time it runs for. lol Thats a bit more expensive though.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Im telling you its really easy. But if your gonna go that rough may I sugest.......

Buy an aftermarket fan set up with radiator shrud. I bought one from summitracing.com that had a dual,low-profile fan and was mounted on a shrowd. I just un-bolted me stock single fan, keep the upper rad mount/fan bracket and used it to hold the fans inplace. Then I used there switch and wiring to mount it all up.........until I went stand alone and now my ECM controls the fan operation.
I dont remember the brand, Ill check when i get home but I know it was cheep. And it came with everything.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM

i'd just rather go the serpentine belt route. i dnt like having to worry about the car over heating if the fan would go out. i hate electric fans. i have, however, been thinking about just buying a good set of dual fans. but, i don't have the money for that. i can go to pull a part and buy fan and fan clutch and get a fan shroud off of an 84 third gen. i know, i know, it'll rob power. but ive never had a problem with a belt driven fan. the only problem i've ever had was, when i slammed into someones rear end, and had to pull my fan clutch out of my radiator to replace everything. after everything was replaced, no problems from there.

Im telling you its really easy. But if your gonna go that rough may I sugest.......

Buy an aftermarket fan set up with radiator shrud. I bought one from summitracing.com that had a dual,low-profile fan and was mounted on a shrowd. I just un-bolted me stock single fan, keep the upper rad mount/fan bracket and used it to hold the fans inplace. Then I used there switch and wiring to mount it all up.........until I went stand alone and now my ECM controls the fan operation.
I dont remember the brand, Ill check when i get home but I know it was cheep. And it came with everything.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

There are several temp sensors on these cars. The one mounted in the intake is just to relay information to the ECM for the fuel injection.
And that is it for coolant/temp sensors.

The one on the driver side head has a single wire and is a ground resistance signal to the cluster to tell you how hot the engine is.
That is a sending unit.

The one on the passenger side is for the cooling fans and its a ground switch.
Switch, which you even said, not a sensor though.

These often go bad because there either on or off. When the vehicle reaches 220
238°F, ECM controlled fans are 220°.

Its a really simple system, with very little to go bad. Thats why i never understand why so many ppl rig these systems up.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM

82 with 305 carbed...

I knocked the driver side temp sensor wire & connector loose while removing smog tubing. Now for the life of me cannot find the sensor head. See a lot of threads that mention it , but no location. Tips greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by GaryM
82 with 305 carbed...

I knocked the driver side temp sensor wire & connector loose while removing smog tubing. Now for the life of me cannot find the sensor head. See a lot of threads that mention it , but no location. Tips greatly appreciated.
If you mean the one for the temp gauge, it's between the first two spark plugs on that side. Oh, and it's a sender