Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Can't find A/C lines for TPI car (V-belt)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 153 Likes on 142 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!
Can't find A/C lines for TPI car (V-belt)

Hey guys,

I'd like to find new a/c hoses for my 87 Formula 305 TPI.

I searched, and googled but it seems there are lines for the V-6, newer serpentine TPIs with the compressor on the passenger side (mine is on the driver side). and the older 82 - 84ish carbed 305s, but none for the i think 85 - 87 TPI cars with the V-belt setup...of course...

Is there anybody out there that makes it, or are there lines that are compatible? The V-6 lines look close, but the compressor mounting is different and I think the hoses are too long.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Can't find A/C lines for TPI car (V-belt)

Check with your local parts store. Some napas do custom hoses.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
Check with your local parts store. Some napas do custom hoses.

Thanks! I'll check into that!

If anyone else has any leads let me know, its hard to find services like that in Hawaii. -crosses fingers-
Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I scoured the internet for the same part, new hoses for a 1987 TPI. I could not find ANY correct replacement new hoses for the v-belt TPI. I ended up buying hoses for a V6. They fit, but I had to bend them slightly at the compressor. As far as I know, nobody makes a new replacement hose for the 1987 TPI v-belt. I believe the hoses off a 1985 carbed will also work, but they will look a little different than stock since the 1985 carb a/c hoses route upward from the compressor and the 1987 hoses route toward the driver fender before going across the front of the radiator.

Here is a link for new V6 hoses, 4 Seasons #55497. The 4 Seasons hoses are not as sturdy and thick as the GM original, but they are okay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Refrige...item4d73638ab3

Last edited by Aaron R.; 08-06-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Try 4 Seasons
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Aaron R.
I scoured the internet for the same part, new hoses for a 1987 TPI. I could not find ANY correct replacement new hoses for the v-belt TPI. I ended up buying hoses for a V6. They fit, but I had to bend them slightly at the compressor. As far as I know, nobody makes a new replacement hose for the 1987 TPI v-belt. I believe the hoses off a 1985 carbed will also work, but they will look a little different than stock since the 1985 carb a/c hoses route upward from the compressor and the 1987 hoses route toward the driver fender before going across the front of the radiator.

Here is a link for new V6 hoses, 4 Seasons #55497. The 4 Seasons hoses are not as sturdy and thick as the GM original, but they are okay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Refrige...item4d73638ab3
I noticed this too, the V-6 lines have the hose connections going I think Up instead of down at the compressor, but would be the closest match. The older one might work too, maybe id just route it lower? We'll see. So far mine are OK but I wanted to replace the 30year old hoses!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Try 4 Seasons
Unfortunately no luck with them either!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, the 87 TPI a/c hoses aren't reproduced. The easy way to go, assuming you have a fair used set, would be to carefully cut the crimped ferrules off the ends of the rubber hoses, and remove the rubber from the aluminum tubing. Then hit up your local A/C shop, or hydraulic shop for new rubber and new crimp ferrules. Cut the hose to length, mock everything up, have your shop crimp the fittings, and you're good to go.

The other issue that gets in the way, is that the 87 TPI hoses are kind of an unusual setup. They're routed differently than most of the carbed cars, and V6 cars. The books think that 87 TPI cars got a full serpentine system like 88-up. So from the perspective of the manufacturers and part peddlers, if they offer 88-up hoses they already have 87 covered. Makes things a bit of a mess. But that's why you just replace the rubber parts and try not to mess up the aluminum.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
To the best of my knowledge, the 87 TPI a/c hoses aren't reproduced. The easy way to go, assuming you have a fair used set, would be to carefully cut the crimped ferrules off the ends of the rubber hoses, and remove the rubber from the aluminum tubing. Then hit up your local A/C shop, or hydraulic shop for new rubber and new crimp ferrules. Cut the hose to length, mock everything up, have your shop crimp the fittings, and you're good to go.

The other issue that gets in the way, is that the 87 TPI hoses are kind of an unusual setup. They're routed differently than most of the carbed cars, and V6 cars. The books think that 87 TPI cars got a full serpentine system like 88-up. So from the perspective of the manufacturers and part peddlers, if they offer 88-up hoses they already have 87 covered. Makes things a bit of a mess. But that's why you just replace the rubber parts and try not to mess up the aluminum.
Yeah, I think these hoses were only on 86 - 87 and MAYBE 85 TPIs, although I think I recall 85s being different somehow? so I doubt they'll make any for this. Supply / demand would be too low.

I'm also considering going serp setup...changing / finding / adjusting all those belts and pivot pointsonly to find something loose and having to redo it all is getting kinda old lol

Old 08-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

There's definitely something to be said for serpentine. Unfortunate that the parts are somewhat hard to come by... It's like a lot of things, you're best off getting Everything from a donor car in one shot. Anything missing will nickle and dime you to death. The bolts, pulleys, tensioner, power steering pressure line, alternator... The alternator changes position so plan accordingly to change battery cables and wiring. Certainly do-able, just a pain in the butt.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

There's definitely something to be said for serpentine. Unfortunate that the parts are somewhat hard to come by... It's like a lot of things, you're best off getting Everything from a donor car in one shot. Anything missing will nickle and dime you to death. The bolts, pulleys, tensioner, power steering pressure line, alternator... The alternator changes position so plan accordingly to change battery cables and wiring. Certainly do-able, just a pain in the butt.
Agreed! I see pats on ebay for like $500 plus!

When parts were plentiful here in Hawaii I just passed it by...but NOW I'm regretting that!!!! Everyone said the brackets from the plentiful 350 / 4.3 trucks will work but just looking at a 3rd gen and truck setup, I can tell they are different.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Look for full size B-body cars, Caprice, Roadmaster, Cadillacs... TBI versions use the car brackets. GM Performance Parts sells the entire system, again not cheap, but next to used parts for $500, they're worth consideration. The brackets, tensioner, pulleys, etc are all still available new, but piecing together a set is the long way to go.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Look for full size B-body cars, Caprice, Roadmaster, Cadillacs... TBI versions use the car brackets. GM Performance Parts sells the entire system, again not cheap, but next to used parts for $500, they're worth consideration. The brackets, tensioner, pulleys, etc are all still available new, but piecing together a set is the long way to go.
1K ish from GMP...but it comes with the power steering, alt compressor etc...nice. A bit pricey though but nice as an option.

It LOOKS like the alternator side is the same from the extra 4.3 I have so all I'd need would be the passenger side and support brackets....score if this is true! Then I may just need the passenger side....if I get lucky maybe I will score one in the junkyard.

All those B-body cars are actually harder to find here than an F-body unfortunately!

Would you happen to know if I'd need the newer 88 plus TPI metal fuel lines? The 87 ones look like they would interfere with the brackets. It's not something i'll be doing anytime soon but I might stat collecting the parts if I can lol...then they'll sit for another 10 years before I actually start installing them

Old 08-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

If you can't find them anywhere else,......I've got some original used TPI AC lines that came from an 85 TPI car. Got a serpentine conversion too, but I've got no AC lines for 88+ & that set-up is REALLY heavy so shipping it from RI to HI would be ridiculous. If your interested just send me a PM.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by John in RI
If you can't find them anywhere else,......I've got some original used TPI AC lines that came from an 85 TPI car. Got a serpentine conversion too, but I've got no AC lines for 88+ & that set-up is REALLY heavy so shipping it from RI to HI would be ridiculous. If your interested just send me a PM.

I will definitely keep this in mind!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

John: Is the 87 TPI hose the same as the 87 LG4 hose, that hangs below the rad mount, across the radiator and is supported by brackets that bolt in to the upper rad mount? as opposed to the earlier style that looped the hoses across the top of the rad support (and interfered with the dual snorkel air cleaner on the right side).

RA still lists that hose set as available from four seasons. Unfortunately when I ordered one last week I received the serpentine (right hand side compressor) hose. I have not yet checked the part number to see if they sent me the wrong part or sent me the right part number but had the wrong one listed under the 87. Last time I ordered the 87 LG4 hose was about four years ago. It was correct and from RA.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

yep. looks like RA has the serp style hose listed for the 87. their hose available for the 86 is the carb style (across the top of the radiator). I should have paid more attention when I ordered it.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, it stinks, but it is what it is. Even the GM Parts & Illustration Catalog is a bit iffy about the AC lines and accessory setups for 87. It's not too difficult to get confused.

When I was messing with the AC on my 87 a few years ago, I looked everywhere for the AC lines. Came across an 'NOS' replacement that was listed for 87, but it was an earlier set. The V6 hoses from a later car are pretty close, they route across the radiator in the same spot, and the compressor is on the correct side, but there are some differences like length that don't match up. Fortunately in my case, my original rubber wasn't bad, so I just cleaned em up and used them. Now if only my 30 year old AC compressor didn't leak....
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, it stinks, but it is what it is. Even the GM Parts & Illustration Catalog is a bit iffy about the AC lines and accessory setups for 87. It's not too difficult to get confused.

When I was messing with the AC on my 87 a few years ago, I looked everywhere for the AC lines. Came across an 'NOS' replacement that was listed for 87, but it was an earlier set. The V6 hoses from a later car are pretty close, they route across the radiator in the same spot, and the compressor is on the correct side, but there are some differences like length that don't match up. Fortunately in my case, my original rubber wasn't bad, so I just cleaned em up and used them. Now if only my 30 year old AC compressor didn't leak....

I THINK the Camaro got the serpentine setup in mid 87? I could be wrong but I think that's why some place list the serpentine hoses as an 87....I tried looking at the v-6 but the engine sits far back and the mounting part of the compressor, the hoses ace a different way...that MIGHT beable to be overcome but I haven't had to go that far and play with it yet....plus Id probably buy a used set before trying to make something work lol