Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Has anyone used a gmt800 (03-07 truck) electric fan assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1999 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Has anyone used a gmt800 (03-07 truck) electric fan assembly?

Just as the title says, has anyone used a silverado/sierra 03-07 electric fan assembly? I bought a 1990 GTA and I'm working through its problems, it's missing its fan completely and I'd like to resolve that, I figure those fans would mount nicely, if I have to replace the motors they're available easy, and they have proven longevity.
the car also doesn't have a shourd of any kind, what would you recommend?
Old 03-31-2023, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt
Re: Has anyone used a gmt800 (03-07 truck) electric fan assembly?

Can't say I remember anybody using one of those fan assemblies, as long as they physical fit don't see a reason why you couldn't. Using these fans with a factory upper support isn't going to work as it's apart of the factory fan(s) mounting, you could cut away what's in the way of the truck fans for more of a factory look. You could use a 2nd gen f-body upper support but it's not a direct bolt on as the 2nd gen uses a 3 bolt mounting and the 3rd gen uses a 4 bolt pattern. Some correctly installed rivnuts would make the 2nd gen shroud bolt on. I you or someone you know has any fabrication experience one could be made.
3 core radiator upper support - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards
JEGS 97053: Aluminum Radiator Support Fits: 1970-1981 GM F-Body (Camaro & Firebird) with Heavy Duty Radiator - JEGS
Old 03-31-2023, 11:28 AM

Excellent thanks for the reply, I'm going to give it a shot, it seems like the dimensions are correct and I found a 2009 sierra assembly, it's still a 2 prong design for each motor, I just have to find a suitable fan controller that will work with them, but I figure it as simple as connecting 12v and ground to them and most controllers have that, I work at a parts store so I'm sure I can look at something there. My coworker wants me to by the magnadyne fans (I believe that's the proper name) bit I don't think I want to spend $370 on them, I'm in Canada.. The 09 assembly will run me $100.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89rs2.8l
Excellent thanks for the reply, I'm going to give it a shot, it seems like the dimensions are correct and I found a 2009 sierra assembly, it's still a 2 prong design for each motor, I just have to find a suitable fan controller that will work with them, but I figure it as simple as connecting 12v and ground to them and most controllers have that, I work at a parts store so I'm sure I can look at something there. My coworker wants me to by the magnadyne fans (I believe that's the proper name) bit I don't think I want to spend $370 on them, I'm in Canada.. The 09 assembly will run me $100.
If the end result is just as good or good enough I see no reason to spend another $200 for aftermarket when a factory replacement will work, gonna spend my money elsewhere. Your GTA should already be wired for duel fans so you could just wire in the appropriate connectors for those fans, unless there is something drastic different with the windings/voltage/amperage of the 09 fans the factory relays and fan switch should work, "should"
More Information for ACDELCO PT2649 (rockauto.com)
They're pricey but Hawks has a radiator support.
82-92 Camaro/Firebird Aluminum Upper Radiator Support Shroud for Aftermarket Radiators, Hawks - Hawks Third Generation (hawksmotorsports.com)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 91banditt2
If the end result is just as good or good enough I see no reason to spend another $200 for aftermarket when a factory replacement will work, gonna spend my money elsewhere. Your GTA should already be wired for duel fans so you could just wire in the appropriate connectors for those fans, unless there is something drastic different with the windings/voltage/amperage of the 09 fans the factory relays and fan switch should work, "should"
More Information for ACDELCO PT2649 (rockauto.com)
They're pricey but Hawks has a radiator support.
82-92 Camaro/Firebird Aluminum Upper Radiator Support Shroud for Aftermarket Radiators, Hawks - Hawks Third Generation (hawksmotorsports.com)
Did the 1990 have dual fans? You have me curious now because when i got the car, the fan/fans are missing, i have some yellow and black wires hanging down that i believe control the fan but im unsure yet, under the car i also see another wire, maybe three not sure since theyre so destroyed its hard to make out what they are.

In the interior there is an aftermarket temp gauge and a toggle switch, so im assuming it was controlling the previous setup. I don't know if the factory temp gauge works anymore but if not I'd like to have that working again. I don't want to have to switch on fans when I drive the car, and I don't want aftermarket gauges all over the interior! Some like that but for me I just don't, also I'm 6'5 so where it's mounted is an nuisance, I hit my leg on it whenever im in the drivers seat!
The following users liked this post:
91banditt2 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 156 Likes on 145 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!

Id be a bit concerned because those fans are really wide. The LS fans just barely ft the fins of the radiators on the V8s and they are only about 25? inches across side to side.and the Sierra fans are like 36? inches i think.

1990 cars came with single or dual fans, but since you have a GTA theres a higher chance it came with duals from the factory. I think al lGTAs had duals.... I think in 90 both came on with the ac. One came on to cool the car, and the other activated when it reached a higher temp and was activated by the switch in the pass head between cylinder 6 and 8.

if the gauge doesnt work, look at the sensor in the driver side head between cylinder 1 and 3. that's the gauge sending unit.
The following users liked this post:
91banditt2 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89rs2.8l
Did the 1990 have dual fans? You have me curious now because when i got the car, the fan/fans are missing, i have some yellow and black wires hanging down that i believe control the fan but im unsure yet, under the car i also see another wire, maybe three not sure since theyre so destroyed its hard to make out what they are.

In the interior there is an aftermarket temp gauge and a toggle switch, so im assuming it was controlling the previous setup. I don't know if the factory temp gauge works anymore but if not I'd like to have that working again. I don't want to have to switch on fans when I drive the car, and I don't want aftermarket gauges all over the interior! Some like that but for me I just don't, also I'm 6'5 so where it's mounted is an nuisance, I hit my leg on it whenever im in the drivers seat!
In factory form the GTA would of more than likely come with A/C which would of had the duel coolant fan setup, I suppose it's possible the car was ordered without A/C? In that case I'm not sure if it would of come with a single or duel fans?

Wayback Machine (archive.org)

Old 03-31-2023, 01:26 PM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

A couple years ago I got a fan assembly from a scrapyard 2007 Chevy truck for a different project, but made a mental note it looked like it might fit a thirdgen radiator. I can take some measurements for you next week if you need.

The best fan control system is the Dakota Digital unit, but a cheap alternative would be an ebay fan temp switch (or your auto parts store). I tried different fan switches in mine and was never happy with the result. Finally put the DD units in both my Camaros and been happy ever since.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone fore the replies, the car is an ac car so I'm guessing it had the dual fans at some point in its life. I grabbed a silverado fan assembly from an 05, walked into the junkyard and got it for $50, I also managed to leave with a fender and hood for my 99 silverado, it was $25 per fender, hood, bumper, and door sale, so now I have two projects on the go hahah.

If the electric fans don't work I will just use them to convert my truck from a clutch/mech fan setup like I wanted to do anyhow.

Thank you for the wiring schematic aswell. Very help!! I will reply back once I try it all out, very busy this weekend and I work Sunday. I think the fans may work just eyeballing them and eyeballing the third gens fan tray.
The following 2 users liked this post by 89rs2.8l:
1989karr (04-03-2023), 91banditt2 (03-31-2023)