DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

>> Compatable replacement EGR Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal
>> Compatable replacement EGR Solenoid?

Did some quick searching around the website. I have a 91' 305 TBI (LO3). Appears the EGR Solenoid is obsolete.... Is there a compatible solenoid from another motor I can use. >>>> Code 32 and running like crap.

Gonna' clean things up this weekend when I have more time but still would like to replace that solenoid as well.... Thanks - Mike
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Re: >> Compatable replacement EGR Solenoid?

Bump.............
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

be aware that our cars can and will set a FALSE code 32. youre components may be fine .the factory released a updated PROM to fix these false code problems.however it has been discontinued for about 12 years (go figure!!) if you have tested your egr solenoid and it is bad auto zone has one available for around $50 but oreilleys is the only one with the egr valve itself

Last edited by rusty vango; 01-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by rusty vango
be aware that our cars can and will set a FALSE code 32.
Car has run great for the last three years and now that it's throwing codes (always 32) assuming something is not right within the EGR system.... Ready to dive into today after work.

So the plug in portion with 2 wire harness is still available but the valve/diaphragm isn't then? Thanks - Mike
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

There's a guy on another forum who thought the Code 32 was caused by adding free flowing exhaust. He had dual exhaust with crossover added, free flowing mufflers and aftermarket high flow cats. Got a code 32...

Code 32 is when test fails, in my $42 I found it is a bitmask and can turn it off... three things have to happen for the test to occur, read in picture below.

He Plugged one side of exhaust and drove car, over 50 MPH and met all three qualifiers for test to occur. No more code 32. He unplugged the one side exhaust and drove and got code 32 back.

He thinks it's exhaust back pressure needed for EGR to work. But that is not what the manual says the code 32 test is about.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM

I have a PDF File with all the test and troubleshooting on it..... See what happens.... My guess the solenoid is toast or the diaphragm is stuck on the valve.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Well yes you have to make sure all mechanical parts are good. But his were good and still got the 32...

Code 32 has always been a PIA. But he fixed it by plugging exhaust?

Code 32 test is MAP reading when EGR is closed, MAP changes, EGR open, MAP changes...

Code 32 is set if change is not within calibrated window. So if you know how to change that window to expand in bin could also be a fix. Someone here recently said his chip/bin was recalled or there was a GM fix for this, back then, but not everyone got the fix done at dealership when car was new....
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by EagleMark
Code 32 has always been a PIA. But he fixed it by plugging exhaust?
Thanks for the info, hate to buy parts if it's not gonna' solve my issue.

I suck at diagnostics, here is my story: Last 3 years car runs great! No bogging on acceleration or close to falling on it's face at a stop light.

Month ago throws code 32's after driving above 50 for 15min. Did this intermittently for 2 weeks. >>>That whole time "she still ran great" so I wasn't too concerned.

Then No codes for 1.5 weeks, still ran great!

Drove to work one day (25 miles/most e-way) ran great! No codes. After work, new first thing after I fired her up, I knew something was wrong! Bogging/harsh idle and engine about too fall on it's face.

I have had many exhaust leaks in cars over the years but never one that made such a dramatic change in performance and that suddenly. >> THANK YOU for the heads up......>> I hope your right cause I would much rather mess with the exhaust anyday VS. messing with this stupid emissions crap! I will check into it. Mike.....
Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds like EGR may be going bad. Could be just an old vacuum line starting to leak or passage under EGR getting plugged. If an EGR does not seat properly it's a vacuum leak. Vauum leaks cause bad idle and all sorts of havoc!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by EagleMark
Sounds like EGR may be going bad. Could be just an old vacuum line starting to leak or passage under EGR getting plugged. If an EGR does not seat properly it's a vacuum leak. Vauum leaks cause bad idle and all sorts of havoc!
I'm going to run EGR delete till I get my tax return. At least she gets me from point A to point B! I know some say it's no big deal to run without EGR >> but I can't stand they way my car runs.... I'm not into reprograming the ECM and all that other crap.>> I want things done right!

Agenda: Buy new EGR Valve and solenoid. Chase down vacuum lines. Other responsibilities for the moment leave me no choice but to run "EGR Delete". I really hate responsibilities....... I feel guilty not being able to buy the parts now....
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Problem with EGR delete and no prom changes is the spark added when EGR is on causes Knock without EGR...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 PM

The bigger question is am I really stupid or blind because I was under the assumption from previous threads/searches that the EGR valve and/or solenoid where obsolete? Gm/Delco are obsolete, but I still can get aftermarket. I already called and verified I can get both the valve and solenoid thru Autozone. If you need the part you gotta do what you gotta do!

Last edited by bitchin_buick; 01-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Re: >> Compatible replacement EGR Solenoid?

The Internet is full of mis information that spreads like wildfire as gospel truth, this wouldn't be the first time I have seen it, or the 100th time...

Maybe the original GM part is obsolete? But that EGR is only on a bazillion cars and trucks... I can't see it being not available for another 20 years or so from more than one aftermarket source.

Gotta watch AutoZone parts though, they always shoot for low price which translates to lower quality part.

My son works at Oreillys auto parts, used to be Schucks and they usually have a couple choices from low quality CHEAP to high quality reasonable price. My experience with NAPA is always a quality part but sometimes they have 2 options as well. But they know me better than to give me a low quality part...
Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the info..........
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

try autozone PN# EVS30 , my local store has them in stock . good luck .
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42

Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
try autozone PN# EVS30 , my local store has them in stock . good luck .
I bought the autozone replacement and the spacing is different on the vacuum ports. You can cut the original rubber piece and make it work though. The problem I'm having now is that the electrical connector is also different. So far I haven't been able to find the correct connector for it. I have a 91 Z28 5.7L.

I also found this one online, it looks like the original one. Its expensive but if the connector is the same it could be worth it.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-s...1985-1992.html
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

I went to a couple of different parts stores tonight. None of them have any other EGR solenoid valves or the connector to hook up the replacement. I have attached a pic of the original one and the replacement. The replacement looks like it could use a GM 2 wire low coolant connector (Dorman 85192) but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails >> Compatable replacement EGR Solenoid?-solenoid-original.jpg   >> Compatable replacement EGR Solenoid?-replacement.jpg   >> Compatable replacement EGR Solenoid?-dorman-85192.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jbenge
I went to a couple of different parts stores tonight. None of them have any other EGR solenoid valves or the connector to hook up the replacement. I have attached a pic of the original one and the replacement. The replacement looks like it could use a GM 2 wire low coolant connector (Dorman 85192) but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Find a solution yet? Thanks............
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bitchin_buick
I ordered the connector that I think will work. A few places had them for $20-30 but Rock Auto had them for $10 including shipping on clearance. I'm waiting to get it to find out if it will work. I also found that some cars have the correct connector for the autozone EVS30. I found out through a PM from UNCLE TOM that he did not have to change the connector..so it could be a direct swap for some of you.

I also found out that the only place that still has the original GM Part#1997171 EGR solenoid valve is Craig auto in CA. I called them but they wanted $400 for one I will put a carb on the car before I will pay that much for one.

I really don't want to put much into this engine since I'm planning on swappin in a LS engine anyway. I just want it to run good(with no check engine light) for a year or two while I accumulate parts for the LS swap. I've always had carbed thirdgen cars, I had no idea that the TPI cars had gotten this difficult to get parts for. If the TPI stuff causes too much agrrivation I may swap to a carb or put the LS engine in now instead of waiting until after paint.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm wondering if I couldn't cut off the factory harness, clean up the wires and carefully "solder" them onto the new solenoid terminals? Not really what I would want to do, but if I had to, wonder if that would work...... A connection is a connection I would think.......
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.vpartsinc.com/

If you need to have oe parts- bought a knock filter off of these guys, decent price. 16038331 - MODULE ASM ESC, tough to find.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bitchin_buick
The Dorman 85192 connector did fit the EVS30 EGR solenoid valve.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jbenge
The Dorman 85192 connector did fit the EVS30 EGR solenoid valve.
Sweet! Thanks................