DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

16196396 $9A ALDL help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 2.2 L61
Transmission: R150/AX15/Toy T-case
Axle/Gears: 5.29
16196396 $9A ALDL help

Hey guys, I started working on my new tow rig its a 95 chevy with 16196396 BDUZ chip ($9A) Truck has 180k runs great, and even test towed my trailer and a car pretty well (ok, not as good as my 01 PSD but thats a different story..)

I've searched this site and a few others pertaining to chevy trucks (which usually refer back to here ) but at this point was only attempting to do some dataloging to track down a small problem its having..

Does anyone have an ALDL file for this one? If not is there a good outline or guide describing the format on making an .ADS one. I do have the A179 file which covers this app. just no experience with the def file stuff (yet)... just looking for some tips and a push start..

There are 2 problems with the truck and at this point i dont think they are related..

1) get SES light after 5 min of steady rate cruise. Happens regularly. Since i was having aldl issues i tired pulling a code via the normal way, only shows 12 (no errors) I havnt realy started any work so it could be something simple. vac. egr etc...

2) Other issue is an intermitent stall. Its done it once since ive had it. Engine just quits as I slowed/coasted approaching a turn. Didnt loose electrical only engine.. My first thought was TPS or possibly coil?

Any help appreciated...

thanks -mike
Old 09-25-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this post http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=173103 it should help. As for your troubles, they sound related. Check the EGR valve. HTH
Old 09-25-2005, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the update, and for using the same screen name makes it easy to keep up with things...

I did make a .ads file from the ALDL spec. Im still trying to get my crap hooked up and logging.. No luck yet...

Get Autoprom up/ Says ALDL is connected. If I switch the dips for the settings, the SES flasses, 10k rpms go up some.. Could my .ads file be bad ? (I used the RT editor to make it) I figured if it was i should still at least see data? yes/no?

Ill be trying the stuff mentioned in that thread...

again thanks...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 AM

Quick Update:

My brother got his autoprom setup and is hving the same problem as i am. (He is working on his bus) He's in NY im in NC so sharing the tools is not possible.. So were kinda working through this together.. Were both using newer XP laptops w/ USB ports.

I have burned chips with my autoprom and have compared them with known good bins so im sure thats fine... Just not had a running vehicle to try data collections...

Problem:
I have not been able to do any data viewing/collection.

So far here what i have done:

1) Found a good helpfull article from Moates lastnight. http://www.moates.net/phpforum/viewtopic.php?t=94

2) Memorized the dip switch positions. I will be making lables for my unit for when i forget everything next week. Understanding the Autoprom mode vs TunerProRT SW setup was key.

Here what im planning to do now....
3) I've installed the riched20.dll file... Pure oversight on my part, I had downloaded it 4 times, just never unziped it and put it anywhere..

4) Adjust my port settings as described even thought there had been set properly at any one given time. Ill be starting with the sugested settings.

5) Try connecting 10-20 times.... I now see that it 'may' not connect right off the bat. Just didn't think to try 10-20 times NP really just part of the learning curve...

I don't think im to far off and this will seem trivial once its working.. I was seeing the problem listed in 4) on Moate's site, with the climbing error rate with no data... I will try to key on/off if i see this again...

Anyway, ill post an update when i get this going and of my .ADS file if it works..

-mike
Old 09-26-2005, 07:12 PM

Car: 1994 Camaro Z28, M6
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: T56
Guys, I'm going to start burning my $9A 1994 TBI truck also....I'm looking for the table to use to dyno tune at WOT and I think its the WOT Air Fuel ratio vs RPM.... can anyone confirm that?

I also was able to datalogg by using WINALDL so you might want to try that...I used some funky V6 definition file that someone on FSC gave me and it worked perfectly....I can get you the number of the file if you need it.

Unfortunately the $9A is a crusty old computer with 160 baud interface....so the chips are stacked against us!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM

uggg im so confused...

I did get some limited info, so far it was only working with the autoprom in bypass mode. but the data rate went only to .25 hz the data flow was very slow and even rpms were very lagging...

I did the usb setup per the moates instructions, and after no luck, tried adjusting some settings but them lost my data feed. I was making so many adjustments to my ports to see what was what im not sure what exactly did the trick..

At that point i was happy to even see ANY data so im partially happy...

Does anyone with and autoprom run XP have any sugestions on port settings? thanks

-mike
Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM

Does anyone have a stock BDUZ bin? I thought I had a BDUY but I just looked at the darn ECU again and its a BDUZ. Thanks to whomever sent me the last BDUY file and would it be possible to send me a clean BDUZ one?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:07 AM

sent you an email. -mike
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 AM